Stafford and those 2 first-rounders - worth it?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There is no correct answer to this question. There are just too many variables to consider when comparing the two QB's. Everyone wants to focus on stats, well look at Goff's first two years under McVay... they are quite impressive. And then the Rams lost Gurley and EVERYTHING changed. And the Rams 3rd WR became Josh Reynolds instead of Sammy Watkins or Brandin Cooks. And Kupp got hurt during the latter half of Goff's last 2 seasons. And Blythe did get abused by some of the better D-tackles in the league (Jets, Miami, etc), whereas Stafford has a much better line this year. I will agree that Goff does not appear to read defenses as well as Stafford, but Stafford is willing to get killed, ala Kurt Warner, to get the pass off. Hopefully he can stay healthy. But there is no way to compare the two QB's with all of the injuries, trades, drafts, etc. Teams are very much different year to year. I mean it's fun to discuss, but some of you are taking this personally. I liked Goff, a lot. I like Stafford... a lot. That is all.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
I thought Goff played a great game against Green Bay but every time they had a second or third and long in that game, Blythe and Evans would get demolished by their guy and Goff didn't stand a chance.

Go back and re-watch the 2nd and 3rd downs in that game if you don't believe me
Yes but if you re-watch games like Miami then I truly understand why Goff isn't our QB anymore. He had trouble reading defenses in McVay's system. You hit Goff early and often, he crumbles really bad. Can't have that. I'm not downing the guy cuz he got us close, but he's not it. Besides, why are you defending a guy who's not a Ram anymore? Time to move on as nothing will bring him back in horns.

Tano

Legend
Yes but if you re-watch games like Miami then I truly understand why Goff isn't our QB anymore. He had trouble reading defenses in McVay's system. You hit Goff early and often, he crumbles really bad. Can't have that. I'm not downing the guy cuz he got us close, but he's not it. Besides, why are you defending a guy who's not a Ram anymore? Time to move on as nothing will bring him back in horns.
Well as I stated earlier I am only defending him because he is disrespected so much and he did so much for us.

I just feel he is a better QB than what a lot of people are giving him credit for.

And the whole point is were the 2 first round picks worth it.

I am in the unsure category because has Stafford been that much better.

Well maybe but I want to see how he plays in the playoffs.

Tano

Legend
And I already stated what I felt about the Miami and Jets game.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
When you look at the Miami/NO game last night.. you see that the Dolphins viewed Goff the same way they viewed Ian Book.

Tano

Legend
There is no correct answer to this question. There are just too many variables to consider when comparing the two QB's. Everyone wants to focus on stats, well look at Goff's first two years under McVay... they are quite impressive. And then the Rams lost Gurley and EVERYTHING changed. And the Rams 3rd WR became Josh Reynolds instead of Sammy Watkins or Brandin Cooks. And Kupp got hurt during the latter half of Goff's last 2 seasons. And Blythe did get abused by some of the better D-tackles in the league (Jets, Miami, etc), whereas Stafford has a much better line this year. I will agree that Goff does not appear to read defenses as well as Stafford, but Stafford is willing to get killed, ala Kurt Warner, to get the pass off. Hopefully he can stay healthy. But there is no way to compare the two QB's with all of the injuries, trades, drafts, etc. Teams are very much different year to year. I mean it's fun to discuss, but some of you are taking this personally. I liked Goff, a lot. I like Stafford... a lot. That is all.
I have to agree with this as well.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Well as I stated earlier I am only defending him because he is disrespected so much and he did so much for us.

I just feel he is a better QB than what a lot of people are giving him credit for.

I'll tell you this much. I truly appreciate what Goff did for us and he definitely deserves credit. Since he's no longer our QB, I really don't worry about him anymore or what our fans thought about him because in the grand scheme of things, nothing we can do changes what McVay, Snead, and the Rams thought of him. The two first round picks trade is definitely still TBD. I agree we need to see how Stafford plays in the playoffs as well.

Tano

Legend
When you look at the Miami/NO game last night.. you see that the Dolphins viewed Goff the same way they viewed Ian Book.
Really?? Miami also did that same defense against Baltimore and Jackson did crap as well.

So now Miami views Lamar Jackson and Jared Goff like Ian Book

Tano

Legend

I'll tell you this much. I truly appreciate what Goff did for us and he definitely deserves credit. Since he's no longer our QB, I really don't worry about him anymore or what our fans thought about him because in the grand scheme of things, nothing we can do changes what McVay, Snead, and the Rams thought of him. The two first round picks trade is definitely still TBD. I agree we need to see how Stafford plays in the playoffs as well.
Well I still defend Everett and Warner so... call me an insane Ram fan

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Goff had a better RB and the same line, except for Blythe, who.. we should remember.. actually beat Allen out for the position.

Yes, I think Allen is better than Blythe... no, I don't think the line is much better than last year. Same guys. Biggest difference is Stafford being able to open up the offense and keeping D honest.

The Oline's failure in losses this season would reinforce the point, imo.. because they came when the Rams offense had become predictable and too pass heavy.

Since they've balanced that out, things look great again.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Well I still defend Everett and Warner so... call me an insane Ram fan
Warner I get because Martz was dumb to not let the man fully heal. Everett only if your talking about Jim. I'll always defend a QB that smacks up Jim Rome. It's ok, I'm not mad at you for being an insane Rams fan. I appreciate all our fans perspectives even if I don't agree all the time. No fun in that.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Really?? Miami also did that same defense against Baltimore and Jackson did crap as well.

So now Miami views Lamar Jackson and Jared Goff like Ian Book
Such different QBs.. can't even compare.
I will say Lamar turned the ball over once.

How'd the other guys do?

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim

I’m curious about what you consider “so much for us”?

He was not carrying the team when we went to the Super Bowl. That was Gurley and a team that brought Goff along.

I don’t recall winning a game where Goff put the team on his shoulders and won in spite of poor play by other parts of the team.

I was a Goff supporter until it became obvious he was not growing.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I would disagree with you about those draft pick no matter what.There is always value,especially with The Rams scouting staff. The thing is the proof is not there.

Sean Mcvay has never had a 1st rd pick as a HC.I wouldn’t say worthless because if it was a straight up trade those 2 1st. Rd pick The Rams could always use to trade again as well.
Jalen RAMsey comes to mind.

Draft picks are nothing more than a tool to fill out the bottom of the roster, and that includes the first rounders. And again the mere hope that one guy pans out. Most are JAGs. I don't need to tell you about the history of how many draft picks end up being nobodies do I??? Draft picks have become so romanticized to the point where they are treated as untouchable assets. Les is proving that they don't matter.

How many internet fan boards have that group of fans that say "oh not have picks is gonna bite them". Well I'm still waiting for that to happen.

Tano

Legend
Goff had a better RB and the same line, except for Blythe, who.. we should remember.. actually beat Allen out for the position.

Yes, I think Allen is better than Blythe... no, I don't think the line is much better than last year. Same guys. Biggest difference is Stafford being able to open up the offense and keeping D honest.

The Oline's failure in losses this season would reinforce the point, imo.. because they came when the Rams offense had become predictable and too pass heavy.

Since they've balanced that out, things look great again.
Allen was still hurt last year and never really healed up.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Draft picks are nothing more than a tool to fill out the bottom of the roster, and that includes the first rounders. And again the mere hope that one guy pans out. Most are JAGs. I don't need to tell you about the history of how many draft picks end up being nobodies do I???
I'm somebody! -Greg Robinson

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
To answer the posters question, it's still TBD. If we don't bring home the chip or even get remotely close to it, then no.
As you and others say TBD is the correct answer.

We all like Stafford’s quick release, downfield passing, aggressiveness, connection with Kupp, and more. But that’s not the whole picture.

Stafford has also shown serious and at times alarming inconsistency. Not just in specific poor decisions and inaccurate throws, but in repeated turnovers and mistakes contributing to actual or likely game losses. Such as against Minnesota, in a near must win game with a playoff spot at stake.

TBD whether Stafford (and McVay) can put together the consistent performances needed to win one or two or three playoff games and maybe even the Super Bowl. The potential is clearly there, but can Stafford actually get it done? Will McVay actually use Michel and Akers and play action to put Stafford in the best position to succeed? These are the real questions imo.

Otherwise what was the point of the trade? Because despite all the tiresome, unnecessary disparagement of our former quarterback Goff actually won multiple playoff games and took the Rams to the Super Bowl.

I like Stafford. No one will be happier than me to give him full credit when he wins some playoff games. Or puts in as good a performance on a big stage as Goff did on the road in NO in the NFC championship Game. But right now it’s TBD.

Last edited:

Tano

Legend
I’m curious about what you consider “so much for us”?

He was not carrying the team when we went to the Super Bowl. That was Gurley and a team that brought Goff along.

I don’t recall winning a game where Goff put the team on his shoulders and won in spite of poor play by other parts of the team.

I was a Goff supporter until it became obvious he was not growing.
He helped make us winners and helped take us to the superbowl.

And that NO game - never seen such a gritty performance under such hostile environment

Status
Not open for further replies.