Stafford and those 2 first-rounders - worth it?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
But Allen/Corbett is so much better than Blythe. That has also allowed McVay to open up the playbook as well.

Stafford has helped as well but I think both Stafford and the new centers both contributed about the same for McVay to open up the playbook.

With Goff, they wouldn't have opened up the playbook as much but I believe Goff would have been successful in this offense just not as much as Stafford has been successful. We would see more of a game control QB in Goff than the gunslinger in Stafford. Would McVay be still frustrated in Goff - probably.
And I happen to think Stafford is the primary reason.
Again.. he's been sacked more than Goff, for example. And the Rams ran the ball well last year, especially considering teams' lack of respect for Goff.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Anyone who argues over who is better is either delusional or haven't watched a game imo. I dont think it up for debate.

As far as worth it? I don't think so. He's been very good and very bad at times. He's 32-33 years old and has a year left....no guarantee we can keep him. Two first and a good qb in trade.

Goff is a good qb. Not great and not the leader Stafford is, but he is better than many starting QBs in this league and we basically just threw him in for free after giving up two more first rounders.

I should say, I'm happy that Stafford is here. And, if I'm being honest, I'm happy that Goff isn't. I just don't like the price.

Draft picks? Worthless/depth fodder w/ nothing but hope that one of them pans out. Well, unless you're in the top 10. And I don't want to be in the top 10.

Tano

Legend
Well if it’s not about Goff what he did as a Rams QB should be at least respected.I’ll totally disagree with you that he is a journey man QB.
This times 1000. I think that is the main thing Goff supporters are trying to say.

Tano

Legend
And I happen to think Stafford is the primary reason.
Again.. he's been sacked more than Goff, for example. And the Rams ran the ball well last year, especially considering teams' lack of respect for Goff.
And the reason he has been sacked more than Goff is because Stafford holds the damn ball too long trying to make a big play.

There are a few times that he should have just thrown it away and we can kick the FG instead.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Yes they are in rebuild mode but I bet in two years, Detroit is going to be a contending team.

Disagree with me all you want but we shall see after two years who is right and who is wrong.

As I have stated many times, if I was Detroit, I would trade down quite a few times to get as many 2nd 3rd 4th 5th picks as I can since this is a rich NON-QB class this year.
That's super, champ. I think we all know where you stand with regards to Goff. Also, how did I disagree with you? You agreed that they are in rebuild mode, yes??

Here's a "not so sure", back at ya, because... Ya know.... Those are always cool.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well if it’s not about Goff what he did as a Rams QB should be at least respected.I’ll totally disagree with you that he is a journey man QB.
That said to answer the question will come in Stafford’s contract.I thought getting out of that contract was big & having a future possible HOF QB is worth it depending on what happens in the future.
The Rams should be better off this season & next at making a SuperBowl run. I wonder about the development of Bryce Perkins.
I absolutely respect what Goff did. He took us to a Super Bowl. But he is not the same guy. He is not good enough for a perennial contender IMO, the guy is a bottom third QB now and has two consecutive seasons of finishing in the 20s as a passer.

I'm guessing the Lions will draft a QB this offseason and next season will be his last keeping that seat warm. Then we'll see. But I expect he'll bounce around the league filling the role while teams draft their futures, which is that journeyman niche.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
This times 1000. I think that is the main thing Goff supporters are trying to say.
"Journeyman" would be a pretty good description of Goff. Means a guy who can get a job done at a decent level.

He's not, in my opinion, any kind of a positive difference maker.

Stafford really has been, at times, this season. The problem I have is that Stafford has matched Goff's lows from last season and that has to stop.

Tano

Legend
That's super, champ. I think we all know where you stand with regards to Goff. Here's a "not so sure", back at ya, becuae... Ya know.... Those are always cool.
And we know where you stand on Goff

I believe he is a top 15 QB and you think he is a bottom 15 QB

We will always be different opinions on Goff

And I don't have a problem with people using Not So Sure - I guess we disagree on the usage too lol

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
And the reason he has been sacked more than Goff is because Stafford holds the damn ball too long trying to make a big play.

There are a few times that he should have just thrown it away and we can kick the FG instead.

And Goff took some because he couldn't see guys who were wide open.
Point being, the line isn't that much better this year. Same guys, except for one, who was the second or third option for this team in the offseason.
I'll put it to you this way.. Stafford's talent and his impact on what a defense has to consider is much, much greater than any impact Allen has, play to play, on the line.

Tano

Legend
"Journeyman" would be a pretty good description of Goff. Means a guy who can get a job done at a decent level.

He's not, in my opinion, any kind of a positive difference maker.

Stafford really has been, at times, this season. The problem I have is that Stafford has matched Goff's lows from last season and that has to stop.
Goff brings teams back from being down and if not for a couple screw ups on the defensive side - would have a few more wins on a really shitty team.

He is a winner and I do not consider Journeymen to be winners.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
To answer the posters question, it's still TBD. If we don't bring home the chip or even get remotely close to it, then no.

Ellard80

Legend
If Goff is a "journeyman" Quarterback will be found out in the next few years.

I find the timing of this threads question interesting.

Tano

Legend
And Goff took some because he couldn't see guys who were wide open.
I have to disagree on that because when I looked at his sacks last year, they didn't have many receivers open that I could see in the All 22.

And their line is so much better this year with Allen/Corbett. Blythe was just terrible on some plays. I didn't call him THE MATADOR for nothing.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Draft picks? Worthless/depth fodder w/ nothing but hope that one of them pans out. Well, unless you're in the top 10. And I don't want to be in the top 10.

I would disagree with you about those draft pick no matter what.There is always value,especially with The Rams scouting staff. The thing is the proof is not there.

Sean Mcvay has never had a 1st rd pick as a HC.I wouldn’t say worthless because if it was a straight up trade those 2 1st. Rd pick The Rams could always use to trade again as well.
Jalen RAMsey comes to mind.

Tano

Legend
If Goff is a "journeyman" Quarterback will be found out in the next few years.

I find the timing of this threads question interesting.
And that is something I will completely be in line on.

We shall see if he is a journeyman QB or if he is a good to very good QB after the next couple years because I believe Holmes is a really good GM and is putting Detroit on the right path.

nighttrain

Legend
I didn't like the trade for Stafford and said so at the time of the trade.

I did understand McVay's reasoning, that the trade was to take advantage of having AD playing in Rams D, a once in a lifetime talent, with a QB (Stafford) that he felt was better equipped to get Rams back to the SB. Still TBD if it was the correct move, but looking good.

I have high hopes
train

Tano

Legend
I didn't like the trade for Stafford and said so at the time of the trade.

I did understand McVay's reasoning, that the trade was to take advantage of having AD playing in Rams D, a once in a lifetime talent, with a QB (Stafford) that he felt was better equipped to get Rams back to the SB. Still TBD if it was the correct move, but looking good.

I have high hopes
train
This as well

Tano

Legend
I would disagree with you about those draft pick no matter what.There is always value,especially with The Rams scouting staff. The thing is the proof is not there.

Sean Mcvay has never had a 1st rd pick as a HC.I wouldn’t say worthless because if it was a straight up trade those 2 1st. Rd pick The Rams could always use to trade again as well.
Jalen RAMsey comes to mind.
Or we could trade down and get more 6th round picks

Problem is - I do not know if I am serious or not on the above lol

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped

And I don't have a problem with people using Not So Sure - I guess we disagree on the usage too lol
Tom Brady
Justin Herbert
Derek Carr
Matt Stafford
Patrick Mahomes
Joe Burrow
Josh Allen
Kirk Cousins
Dak Prescott
Matt Ryan
Aaron Rogers
Kyler Murray
Trevor Lawrence
Jalen Hurts
Lamar Jackson
Russell Wilson

I think I'd slot Jared in just after that list.
I get that Lawrence is a rookie and his numbers aren't as good.. he's an incredible prospect and is already making plays in an absolutely HORRIFIC situation.

Jared's yards per attempt is really alarming.
Yep, he's not in a great situation either and I think, overall, Jared's performed a little better than expected.
Journeyman fits.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion

I don't think I have ever stated that Goff is a worse than average QB. You got the wrong guy. I support whoever is in horns, frustrations aside.

All good though man, we both love our team, I just move on from players once they are no longer wearing the horns.

Status
Not open for further replies.