Stafford and those 2 first-rounders - worth it?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I'm somebody! -Greg Robinson

lol you made a funny!
1640724178566.jpeg

Tano

Legend
Warner I get because Martz was dumb to not let the man fully heal. Everett only if your talking about Jim. I'll always defend a QB that smacks up Jim Rome. It's ok, I'm not mad at you for being an insane Rams fan. I appreciate all our fans perspectives even if I don't agree all the time. No fun in that.
And yes Jim

John R

Rookie
Name
John R
The team is way more fun to watch and has a real good chance at SB. It is worth it. Plus, this is his first season so there will be improvement ahead. Also I think Snead and McVay have proven that any draft pick No matter the position can have real positive impact on our team and with a very low cost financially. So the cost of Stafford was the cost, but the loss of the draft picks can be compensated for.
That true.

John R

Rookie
Name
John R
Do we now give Stafford a humongous contract though?

He can really win me over if he pulls a Tom Brady and says $20M is enough... and he doesn't want a $40M contract. After all he is one of the big bonus babies that got the huge rookie deals that are no longer given out to #1 picks.

Now for some sobering stats...

To be fair, 2018 Goff was pretty damn good. We traded away a 2020 Goff who was a mere shadow of the one the writer is comparing Stafford to.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
KC Minnesota NO
The KC game was incredible but that was not all Goff carrying the team. Defense had 2 scores in that one to keep them in the game even though they gave up a 50 burger.

While he was the Rams QB absolutely no doubt he was supported on this board until the end.

However, the criticism over the last two seasons had merit. He just never grew after that 2018 season.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Allen was still hurt last year and never really healed up.
Fair enough.
But Blythe graded out just fine last year at center. I agree that Allen is better, but we're talking slightly.. not about going from trash to an All-pro.

Tano

Legend
Fair enough.
But Blythe graded out just fine last year at center. I agree that Allen is better, but we're talking slightly.. not about going from trash to an All-pro.
Well you and I have a fairly decent difference of opinion on Blythe.

Blythe was okay on 1st down (2nd down and 3rd down and less than 7) unless it was 3rd and 1.

All other situations, he just got bull rushed and missed his blocks terribly.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Well you and I have a fairly decent difference of opinion on Blythe.

Blythe was okay on 1st down (2nd down and 3rd down and less than 7) unless it was 3rd and 1.

All other situations, he just got bull rushed and missed his blocks terribly.
I think memory distorts.. .he had moments.. so has Allen.
Blythe's PFF grade last year reflected a different assessment.

TexasRam

Legend
Way to early to even begin to make an argument.

Goff 2018:
24 years old
13-3
32.9 ppg
Pro Bowl
Super Bowl

Offensive player of the month.
Wins over Rodgers, Mahomes, Brees. Prescott etc.
Played last half of season without Kupp.

Stafford 2021:
33 years old
11-4
27.7 ppg
Pro Bowl alternate
Post season TBD.

Goff’s 2018 season was superior by any measure unless Stafford wins a
Super bowl.

Stafford lacks the anticipation and consistency of ball placement that Goff does in my opinion. This has been very evident watching him this year. Stafford does have the deep ball touch and ability to hold the ball when sacked that Goff lacked.

But it comes down to postseason. If Stafford can get us a Super Bowl
Then the trade was worth the cost.

Tano

Legend
I think memory distorts.. .he had moments.. so has Allen.
Blythe's PFF grade last year reflected a different assessment.
Of all the PFF grades, that was the one that I had a terrible time even remotely agreeing with

I kept asking myself, what in hell is PFF looking at

I could post so many plays where on 3rd and long Blythe got bull rushed and Goff was forced to get rid of it in close to 1 sec

It got so bad that McVay gave up and either did a WR screen or a delayed hand-off whenever it was 3rd down and longer than 10 yards

You can say it was due to Goff and his inability to read quickly but I am fully going with the Blythe reason.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Of all the PFF grades, that was the one that I had a terrible time even remotely agreeing with

I kept asking myself, what in hell is PFF looking at

I could post so many plays where on 3rd and long Blythe got bull rushed and Goff was forced to get rid of it in close to 1 sec

It got so bad that McVay gave up and either did a WR screen or a delayed hand-off whenever it was 3rd down and longer than 10 yards

You can say it was due to Goff and his inability to read quickly but I am fully going with the Blythe reason.

Nah.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
No, IMO. It seems everyother week people are asking "is Stafford hurt" to make an excuse for his poor playing. I was happy with the trade, but I was happy bc I thought the trade would equal less turnovers and better decision making. I've seen too many under thrown balls, balls behind the receiver, and balls thrown to guys double covered just to make a splash play when other guys are open, amd too many stupid turnovers to consider this trade worth 2 first rd picks. Many may disagree, but I refuse to disregard mistakes I was critical of Goff for last season, and other seasons, and not apply those same standards to a caliber of a qb like Stafford.

I also consider this oline to be much better than last years oline, which helps Stafford, but also hurts him. He needs to stop trying to make something out of nothing and learn to throw the ball away.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I am actually more upset what they gave up for Miller.

Those extra two 3rds made it possible to give up what they did for Stafford, but then they go give up a 2nd and one of the 3rds for renting Miller... Meanwhile Lewis is now a healthy scratch.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
You have that right

We will just have to agree to disagree

Cheers
Sure.

I remember the big revelation I had about offensive line performance and how much play calling, play design and the integration of the run game and pass game could impact the unit, for better or worse.
Watching the Rams Oline in 2017 was amazing.. And so, so much of it was just the scheme meshing so well and not allowing a defense to key on one thing and destroy the oline.
Of course.. getting Whitworth helped!

But, yeah.. the personnel on that unit wasn't any better than the personnel on last year's unit... but the Goff pass game, with McVay, had broken down.. and teams had a "book" on Goff. Feel free to read around on that.

The Rams do not have the individual talent on oline to simply go out and dominate other teams... we see this in very obvious run situations.. and very obvious pass situations... they can be physically overmatched. But when scheme plays a role? They can kick ass.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I am actually more upset what they gave up for Miller.

Those extra two 3rds made it possible to give up what they did for Stafford, but then they go give up a 2nd and one of the 3rds for renting Miller... Meanwhile Lewis is now a healthy scratch.
Is Lewis really healthy?
Sure.. no injury designation.. but, we know he has a chronic knee issue. I don't know if they'd have to list that.

But, I am also concerned about the price for Miller... and it certainly makes re-signing him a big deal.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
And I happen to think Stafford is the primary reason.
Again.. he's been sacked more than Goff, for example. And the Rams ran the ball well last year, especially considering teams' lack of respect for Goff.
His sacks have often come with him holding the ball too long and refusing to throw it away.

Goff often had jail breaks right up the gut over Blythe. Like the Jets game for instance.

And again, Stafford is better, just frustrating because we should not be concerned with multiple pick 6's...and BTW he should have had another this past week had Barr not tripped up himself.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
His sacks have often come with him holding the ball too long and refusing to throw it away.

Goff often had jail breaks right up the gut over Blythe. Like the Jets game for instance.

And again, Stafford is better, just frustrating because we should not be concerned with multiple pick 6's...and BTW he should have had another this past week had Barr not tripped up himself.
McVay is running waaaaay more longer developing routes this year.

I have huge issues with the Jets game... and.. yeah.. Quinnen Williams did blow up Blythe. Can you tell me why Quinnen Williams was being blocked by one guy? He's one of the better interior rushers.
Brian Allen getting smoked by Simmons against Tennessee looked exactly the same. 3rd sack.. after he'd trucked Edwards into Stafford already.

One of the reasons Tenn could do that is the Rams O was imbalanced and not running enough.. which.. as I've said... makes it a lot easier for a Dline.

Tano

Legend
I have huge issues with the Jets game... and.. yeah.. Quinnen Williams did blow up Blythe. Can you tell me why Quinnen Williams was being blocked by one guy?
No clue

Maybe Kromer did suck last year

I liked Kromer in 2017 and 2018 but his scheme in 2019 and 2020 were not working as well with the players he had

Status
Not open for further replies.