Stafford and those 2 first-rounders - worth it?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tano

Legend
Such different QBs.. can't even compare.
I will say Lamar turned the ball over once.

How'd the other guys do?
That's only because Lamar is a run first pass second QB if pressure occurs

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
No clue

Maybe Kromer did suck last year

I liked Kromer in 2017 and 2018 but his scheme in 2019 and 2020 were not working as well with the players he had

And Goff was part of the situation.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
That's only because Lamar is a run first pass second QB if pressure occurs
Drastic oversimplification of an offense that dropped 45 on us the last time we played.
Jackson passed for 5tds that game.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
If we win it all, it'll be worth it. If we win it all, the Von Miller trade will be worth it. Ultimately, we'll have to reload after this year, so this is our best shot. We better make it count.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
If we win it all, it'll be worth it. If we win it all, the Von Miller trade will be worth it. Ultimately, we'll have to reload after this year, so this is our best shot. We better make it count.

Reload?
What am I missing?

Tano

Legend
Drastic oversimplification of an offense that dropped 45 on us the last time we played.
Jackson passed for 5tds that game.
We couldn't stop the run that game.

And when Lamar did pass, he would get receivers that were open by 5 yards consistently

Memento

Name
Jemma
Reload?
What am I missing?

Let's be honest: we're not signing Von after this year; he's a free agent who has hinted that he wants to come back to Denver. We'll lose a fair bit of our starting O-line (Whitworth, Corbett, and Allen are all up for free agency), an elite wide receiver (one of Woods or OBJ), a solid starting nose tackle in SJD, maybe a cornerback.

So we'll need to reload.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
We couldn't stop the run that game.

And when Lamar did pass, he would get receivers that were open by 5 yards consistently
Yup..
So... it's an offensive system designed to maximize its QBs talents.

This year? Just like with other teams.. you get a ton of injuries and things don't go as well. He was an MVP candidate 10 weeks into the season.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Let's be honest: we're not signing Von after this year; he's a free agent who has hinted that he wants to come back to Denver. We'll lose a fair bit of our starting O-line (Whitworth, Corbett, and Allen are all up for free agency), an elite wide receiver (one of Woods or OBJ), a solid starting nose tackle in SJD, maybe a cornerback.

So we'll need to reload.
I am being honest.
I don't know how much money they'll open up and what kind of games they can play with the cap.
We *added* OBJ to a unit and already had Woods.. .suggesting we need to reload when Woods is coming back along with Kupp & Jefferson at least?
We could lose all three of those oline guys.. and we could keep all.
We'll lose SJD and have already replaced him with Gaines.

There's a lot more continuity here than "reload" would suggest.

Memento

Name
Jemma
I am being honest.
I don't know how much money they'll open up and what kind of games they can play with the cap.
We *added* OBJ to a unit and already had Woods.. .suggesting we need to reload when Woods is coming back along with Kupp & Jefferson at least?
We could lose all three of those oline guys.. and we could keep all.
We'll lose SJD and have already replaced him with Gaines.

There's a lot more continuity here than "reload" would suggest.

We're losing one of Woods or OBJ because of cap reasons. You can't keep them and Kupp. We may lose all of the three offensive linemen, all of them starters.

But what I was saying is that this year is our absolute best shot that we have. We're going to have to win with the people we have because we won't have everyone for long.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
We're losing one of Woods or OBJ because of cap reasons. You can't keep them and Kupp. We may lose all of the three offensive linemen, all of them starters.

But what I was saying is that this year is our absolute best shot that we have. We're going to have to win with the people we have because we won't have everyone for long.
What I'm saying is that's just not true.
Yes, I understand that they're losing OBJ or Woods.. but OBJ was added mid season and Woods is injured. We don't have both of them now.
They will be returning either Woods, Kupp and Jefferson.. their primary three WRs to start this season... or OBJ, Kupp and Jefferson.. their primary three to end the season.

As far as the oline thing.. Like I said.. they could also keep all three oline guys.
And.. best shot? I'm old enough to remember when this team had a "major hole" at Center this year and was destined to fail because of it.

It's the Rams, dude.. they'll keep developing and finding players.

Tano

Legend
Yup..
So... it's an offensive system designed to maximize its QBs talents.

This year? Just like with other teams.. you get a ton of injuries and things don't go as well. He was an MVP candidate 10 weeks into the season.
I'm just saying you compared Goff to Ian Book and Lamar played horribly against that same defense.

At least Goff was making a comeback that I believe we would have had a good chance of winning if Everett doesn't drop that 3rd down pass and then Gay misses that FG. Miami couldn't do a thing against our defense in that game.

And if we would have gone with WR screens earlier I think we win that game 35 to 7 (or 14 if they still return a Hecker punt).

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
We're losing one of Woods or OBJ because of cap reasons. You can't keep them and Kupp.
Maybe not.

Woods carries a $15.7M cap hit in 2022 but there's $12.1 of Dead-$ if they release him.

That's a savings of just $3.6M in 2022.

However, in 2023, his cap hit is $16M but the Dead-$ is just $6.4M.

That's a $9.6M of cap savings in 2023.

If OBJ signs an extension that is cap-friendly for 2022, the Rams could (possibly) carry both for one year.

An example of how an extension can be very cap-friendly for the first season would be Leonard Floyd's deal. Floyd's 2021 cap hit is a low-$5.5M. Next year (2022) Floyd's cap-hit explodes to $20M.

Big fan of the Spotrac salary-cap-site.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I'm just saying you compared Goff to Ian Book and Lamar played horribly against that same defense.

At least Goff was making a comeback that I believe we would have had a good chance of winning if Everett doesn't drop that 3rd down pass and then Gay misses that FG. Miami couldn't do a thing against our defense in that game.

And if we would have gone with WR screens earlier I think we win that game 35 to 7 (or 14 if they still return a Hecker punt).
And if Goff doesn't turn the ball over 4 times.. none of that matters with the way the defense was playing.

I'm saying you can't compare how a defense lines up against the Baltimore offense to any other Offense. It's it's own thing.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Maybe not.

Woods carries a $15.7M cap hit in 2022 but there's $12.1 of Dead-$ if they release him.

That's a savings of just $3.6M in 2022.

However, in 2023, his cap hit is $16M but the Dead-$ is just $6.4M.

That's a $9.6M of cap savings in 2023.

If OBJ signs an extension that is cap-friendly for 2022, the Rams could (possibly) carry both for one year.

An example of how an extension can be very cap-friendly for the first season would be Leonard Floyd's deal. Floyd's 2021 cap hit is a low-$5.5M. Next year (2022) Floyd's cap-hit explodes to $20M.

Big fan of the Spotrac salary-cap-site.
If it's post June 1st.. it's about 5 million in dead cap.

I'm just not sure that they do that to Robert Woods.

We'll see.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
The jury is still out, no need for my honest yet unflattering take which “Shirley“ finds the minority amongst us long time fans

Memento

Name
Jemma
What I'm saying is that's just not true.
Yes, I understand that they're losing OBJ or Woods.. but OBJ was added mid season and Woods is injured. We don't have both of them now.
They will be returning either Woods, Kupp and Jefferson.. their primary three WRs to start this season... or OBJ, Kupp and Jefferson.. their primary three to end the season.

As far as the oline thing.. Like I said.. they could also keep all three oline guys.
And.. best shot? I'm old enough to remember when this team had a "major hole" at Center this year and was destined to fail because of it.

It's the Rams, dude.. they'll keep developing and finding players.

Right. But either way, you're still losing an elite receiver. And yes, they could keep the offensive linemen. I doubt it, though.

This, right now, with Von Miller, OBJ/Woods/Kupp having an elite year, an elite offensive line, a good coaching staff, a real quarterback is our best chance to win. We are not going to have the same elite players that we have this year. They will keep developing and finding players, but ultimately, we have a window. Prime Donald. Prime Ramsey. Prime Stafford. Prime Kupp. We are not going to have that forever.

Shuie3225

Starter
Why would we release Woods? Makes zero sense. He's one of the most versatile WRs in the NFL, we would almost certainly trade him somewhere.

OBJ has been very good this year and will be cheaper than Woods. It makes sense that we trade Woods or dont sign OBJ, because Van has been solid this year, plus we have Jacob Harris, Tutu Atwell, and Ben Skro all who are rookies and need to develop.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Way I see it this is the problem with the Goff backers. Everything was always someone else's fault. McVay was at fault, bad calls and scheme. The OL was at fault. The receivers were at fault. But not Jared oh no, poor Jared getting screwed over by everyone else.

You won't find a single person here acting that way about Stafford.

And strangely enough it was exactly the same effect with Bradford, there was a group all over his nuts who worshipped the guy and could never see that he was a shitty QB. A QB who lacked the balls and competitive fire to play at a high level in the NFL. So I think it has a lot to do with buy-in and the fact that both were #1 overall picks taken by us. IMO that drives the fanaticism and absolute blindness to shortcomings.

Status
Not open for further replies.