So what did you think of our draft?(Take the poll)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So what did you think of our draft?

• Great

Votes: 49 23.8%
  • Good

Votes: 122 59.2%
  • Average

Votes: 19 9.2%
  • Poor

Votes: 8 3.9%
  • WTH?

Votes: 8 3.9%

• Total voters

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Here's how I'll grade the draft now that I look at it:

Todd Gurley - A+. He's a generational talent at running back who reminds me of a faster genetic hybrid of Marshawn Lynch and Steven Jackson. Wanted Peat or Parker, but I won't complain about this pick. Worried about the ACL, of course.

Rob Havenstein - B-. Like the player, thought he was too early. Not the best pass-blocker, but at least he's a lineman. And Wisconsin linemen tend to dominate when people say that they won't.

Jamon Brown - B-. Again, I like the player, thought he was too early. Better pass-blocker than Havenstein, but too short to stick anywhere but guard. But still, he's an offensive lineman, so I can't fault that pick too much.

Sean Mannion - F. Hate the player. Like a few people thought, he wasn't even the best quarterback at this juncture. I'd have even taken Hundley over him, and I don't like Hundley. And Paul Dawson was right there, sitting for the taking. Very, very disappointed with this pick.

Andrew Donnal - B. Another offensive lineman, but he fits the range. Don't like the injury history, but he's just as talented as Scherff is, in my opinion, and unlike Scherff, he can stick at tackle. Good pick.

Bud Sasser - F. With a bunch of better receivers on the board (McBride, Lutman, etc.), they take someone who disappeared too often for my liking, someone who couldn't take over games, someone who, at a lot of times, was eclipsed by fellow wide receiver Jimmie Hunt (now with the Packers). In my opinion, the only draftable skill position player on that offense this year should've been Marcus Murphy (running back). I feel that Sasser will be lucky to make the roster over all of the other guys we have because he just doesn't do anything that would separate him from the pack of wide receivers that we already have. He isn't as tall as Britt or Quick, he doesn't have the sticky hands of Bailey, he doesn't have the game-breaking ability of Austin, doesn't have the speed of Givens, he can't separate like Blake, he doesn't return kicks like Wylie, and he can't play special teams as well as Williams. I'm a Mizzou guy...but I don't see the logic of taking a guy whose ceiling is a lesser Austin Pettis.

Cody Wichmann - A-. I love this pick, actually. He's better than this range, and he held up okay against Leonard Williams, which proves that he brings it against top competition. He's good, and he could end up being a starter when Saffold is cut.

Bryce Hager - C-. Can't argue with a linebacker, but in the seventh round, you're supposed to take risks. You're supposed to try to get players who have a shot at making your roster. Hager's a good player, but he's the exact same as all of the other linebackers we have. Hager is a fast, yet finesse guy who can't shed blocks. Would have preferred Taiwan Jones if we absolutely had to have a linebacker.

Martin Ifedi - D-. I can't see him making this roster, to be honest. And with Lynden Trail and Ryan Delaire still on the board, I would have gone for one of them or Al-Hajj Shabazz or Donald Celiscar. You're supposed to take risks on guys who could make the roster in late rounds like the seventh. This guy is risky...but in a different way. He reminds me of a poor man's Victor Adeyanju. He's a run-stopping tweener (too slow to play defensive end, too small to play defensive tackle) who isn't as good as Ethan Westbrooks is. The only reason I'm not going to give him an "F" is because this is the seventh round.

Undrafted Free Agency - A. Louis Trinca-Pasat is an absolute steal. So is Imoan Claiborne, who was once projected as a potential third-to-fourth round pick. I like Isiah Ferguson more than Sasser. I like Matt Longacre more than Ifedi. Overall, I have nothing to complain about with the UDFAs. Like they have since they've gotten here, Snisher finds the gems that slip through the cracks.

Overall grade - C+. I originally gave it a "poor" grade, but they at least decided to fix the problem that had been there for years (offensive line). They drafted Gurley, a dynamic player. I can't fault them for that. I hated the Mannion and Sasser picks. I didn't like the Ifedi pick because I don't see a fit, and I don't like taking a linebacker who is the exact same as all of the others we currently have in Hager. I didn't like the fact that after Gurley, Snisher went solely for low-upside picks (Wichmann aside) instead of taking risks in the sixth and seventh rounds, which I'm used to seeing them do.

If Gurley becomes what I think he'll become, I'm easily bumping this grade up to a B+. If the offensive lineman do their part and get a little better at pass-protection as well, I'm bumping it up to an A. Right now, though, I can't be sure about this draft.

iced

Here's how I'll grade the draft now that I look at it:

Todd Gurley - A+. He's a generational talent at running back who reminds me of a faster genetic hybrid of Marshawn Lynch and Steven Jackson. Wanted Peat or Parker, but I won't complain about this pick. Worried about the ACL, of course.

Rob Havenstein - B-. Like the player, thought he was too early. Not the best pass-blocker, but at least he's a lineman. And Wisconsin linemen tend to dominate when people say that they won't.

Jamon Brown - B-. Again, I like the player, thought he was too early. Better pass-blocker than Havenstein, but too short to stick anywhere but guard. But still, he's an offensive lineman, so I can't fault that pick too much.

Sean Mannion - F. Hate the player. Like a few people thought, he wasn't even the best quarterback at this juncture. I'd have even taken Hundley over him, and I don't like Hundley. And Paul Dawson was right there, sitting for the taking. Very, very disappointed with this pick.

Andrew Donnal - B. Another offensive lineman, but he fits the range. Don't like the injury history, but he's just as talented as Scherff is, in my opinion, and unlike Scherff, he can stick at tackle. Good pick.

Bud Sasser - F. With a bunch of better receivers on the board (McBride, Lutman, etc.), they take someone who disappeared too often for my liking, someone who couldn't take over games, someone who, at a lot of times, was eclipsed by fellow wide receiver Jimmie Hunt (now with the Packers). In my opinion, the only draftable skill position player on that offense this year should've been Marcus Murphy (running back). I feel that Sasser will be lucky to make the roster over all of the other guys we have because he just doesn't do anything that would separate him from the pack of wide receivers that we already have. He isn't as tall as Britt or Quick, he doesn't have the sticky hands of Bailey, he doesn't have the game-breaking ability of Austin, doesn't have the speed of Givens, he can't separate like Blake, he doesn't return kicks like Wylie, and he can't play special teams as well as Williams. I'm a Mizzou guy...but I don't see the logic of taking a guy whose ceiling is a lesser Austin Pettis.

Cody Wichmann - A-. I love this pick, actually. He's better than this range, and he held up okay against Leonard Williams, which proves that he brings it against top competition. He's good, and he could end up being a starter when Saffold is cut.

Bryce Hager - C-. Can't argue with a linebacker, but in the seventh round, you're supposed to take risks. You're supposed to try to get players who have a shot at making your roster. Hager's a good player, but he's the exact same as all of the other linebackers we have. Hager is a fast, yet finesse guy who can't shed blocks. Would have preferred Taiwan Jones if we absolutely had to have a linebacker.

Martin Ifedi - D-. I can't see him making this roster, to be honest. And with Lynden Trail and Ryan Delaire still on the board, I would have gone for one of them or Al-Hajj Shabazz or Donald Celiscar. You're supposed to take risks on guys who could make the roster in late rounds like the seventh. This guy is risky...but in a different way. He reminds me of a poor man's Victor Adeyanju. He's a run-stopping tweener (too slow to play defensive end, too small to play defensive tackle) who isn't as good as Ethan Westbrooks is. The only reason I'm not going to give him an "F" is because this is the seventh round.

Undrafted Free Agency - A. Louis Trinca-Pasat is an absolute steal. So is Imoan Claiborne, who was once projected as a potential third-to-fourth round pick. I like Isiah Ferguson more than Sasser. I like Matt Longacre more than Ifedi. Overall, I have nothing to complain about with the UDFAs. Like they have since they've gotten here, Snisher finds the gems that slip through the cracks.

Overall grade - C+. I originally gave it a "poor" grade, but they at least decided to fix the problem that had been there for years (offensive line). They drafted Gurley, a dynamic player. I can't fault them for that. I hated the Mannion and Sasser picks. I didn't like the Ifedi pick because I don't see a fit, and I don't like taking a linebacker who is the exact same as all of the others we currently have in Hager. I didn't like the fact that after Gurley, Snisher went solely for low-upside picks (Wichmann aside) instead of taking risks in the sixth and seventh rounds, which I'm used to seeing them do.

If Gurley becomes what I think he'll become, I'm easily bumping this grade up to a B+. If the offensive lineman do their part and get a little better at pass-protection as well, I'm bumping it up to an A. Right now, though, I can't be sure about this draft.

think you're bit harsh on guys that are probably relying on their special teams role to make the team, like Sasser. Even as a 6th rounder, if he contributes on ST then he already becomes more valuable than Givens. Ifedi is also probably relying on his ST role.

And I think it's very telling the majority of their players they selected have high IQ's - think they're tired of the stupid penalties in all 3 phases of the game?

Memento

Name
Jemma
think you're bit harsh on guys that are probably relying on their special teams role to make the team, like Sasser. Even as a 6th rounder, if he contributes on ST then he already becomes more valuable than Givens. Ifedi is also probably relying on his ST role.

And I think it's very telling the majority of their players they selected have high IQ's - think they're tired of the stupid penalties in all 3 phases of the game?

I don't think Sasser ever played special teams when he was at Mizzou. That role went to Jaleel Clark. Sasser was used as a pseudo-tight end early in his career. And how exactly is Ifedi going to be used on special teams? He's not the athlete that Sims is, not by a long shot. The guy used to be a defensive tackle, and he still has defensive tackle speed on the edge. I can understand Hager, but I just don't like that they didn't try to pick a linebacker who can shed blocks. He's an athlete, but I would have preferred Taiwan Jones at that slot.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I'm not going to get into projections because that's in the eye of the projector, however, Havenstein is the biggest question mark as many loved him in the top of the 4th, but not the bottom of the 2nd, funny? Also I will go on record I love the Brown selection, he is more of a Guard, but playing LT will serve him well and we know that under Bobby Petrino Louisville passed quite often so Brown's pass blocking should be fine.

Andrew Donnal is the one that has many wondering, but if nothing else Kirk Ferentz and his son Brian can flat out coach offensive linemen so we know that Donnal did receive outstanding coaching at the collegiate level, but I concur with most that seemed like a reach and someone you could have had later.

Cody Wichmann seemed drafted at the right time and played all over the offensive line with RG being his best position and watched him against Leonard Williams and he held up very well so that pick seemed on point.

The 7th round IMO could be very effective players. Like Hager as not only do they throw special team coach John Fassel a bone, but Hager has good speed as well and was the only guy who could tackle for Baylor and that leaves my favorite pick of all Memphis DE Martin Ifedi.

How can you not like Memphis? Great city, music, food etc..Plus Isaac Bruce is an alum so I'm partial to Memphis players..I think he's has an excellent chance to stick as a DT.

Havenstein is the linchpin to this draft, Gurley barring injury will be as advertised, but if Frankenstein can provide the Rams with solid RT play nobody will complain. The Rams went for high production players even Bud Sasser's senior season was very productive and he has a legit shot to unseat Givens.

And BTW as to Sean Mannion, well, that must of been one hell of a pro day and as I posted previously he's tall and smart. Did I post how smart he is?

Sounds like somebody has spent some time down on Bill Street?

iced

I don't think Sasser ever played special teams when he was at Mizzou. That role went to Jaleel Clark. Sasser was used as a pseudo-tight end early in his career. And how exactly is Ifedi going to be used on special teams? He's not the athlete that Sims is, not by a long shot. The guy used to be a defensive tackle, and he still has defensive tackle speed on the edge. I can understand Hager, but I just don't like that they didn't try to pick a linebacker who can shed blocks. He's an athlete, but I would have preferred Taiwan Jones at that slot.

I'm talking about Special Teams for the Rams going forward - most likely their roster spots hinges on what value they bring to special teams, especially when we're talking that low on the depth chart

Memento

Name
Jemma
I'm talking about Special Teams for the Rams going forward - most likely their roster spots hinges on what value they bring to special teams, especially when we're talking that low on the depth chart

That's the big question. Does Sasser have the ability to be a gunner on punt returns or a guy on the kickoff returns? Does Ifedi have the speed to be a guy on punt or kick returns? I think that they're too slow to make it. Believe me, I want every Mizzou guy to succeed in the NFL, but I don't see it with any skill position player on last year's offense with the exceptions of Murphy, Hansbrough, and maybe Culkin (tight end). And I don't see it with Ifedi either. Hager could definitely make the roster, but he's going to have to beat out a host of other linebackers.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
We got a shitload of offensive linemen who are big and nasty road-graders. We got a developmental QB with excellent tools who doesn't need to start right away. We got a Mizzou kid (yes, yes, and a good big developmental WR).

And we got, quite possibly, a transcendent running back.

I'm not complaining. I've been screaming "OFFENSIVE LINE OFFENSIVE LINE" for years now, and Snisher decided this was the year where the need met the players met the value.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Sounds like somebody has spent some time down on Bill Street?
memphis-sign.jpg

beale-street-300x199.jpg

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I put down Great. That is with the expectation that everything works out. Gurley's knee stays good and at least two of the 4 Oliners turn into good starters.

The main reason I said great is that I was waiting for this power run scheme to arrive since Fisher arrived and it appears that it finally has.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

Could be wrong, but I like Givens in this new offense. He's fast, runs good routes, and has decent hands. Foles means more long balls, Givens fits this. Sasser may offer better opportunities on ST's, but we are already pretty good there, I see his value more in the red zone, but Quick, Britt & Cook already have that handled imo. Sasser is fine for a practice squad player. jmo.

iced

Could be wrong, but I like Givens in this new offense. He's fast, runs good routes, and has decent hands. Foles means more long balls, Givens fits this. Sasser may offer better opportunities on ST's, but we are already pretty good there, I see his value more in the red zone, but Quick, Britt & Cook already have that handled imo. Sasser is fine for a practice squad player. jmo.

Givens hasn't been seeing the field, and I can't see him overtaking Britt/Quick or Tavon.. Now austin looks like a bigger fit, imo. With Bailey in the mix - there's our top 4 WR's. Givens doesn't bring any ST value, usually something you want of your 5th WR...guess it depends on how many they carry, but unless givens offers a role on ST's I doubt they'll keep him at a 1.5 cap hit.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Givens hasn't been seeing the field, and I can't see him overtaking Britt/Quick or Tavon.. Now austin looks like a bigger fit, imo. With Bailey in the mix - there's our top 4 WR's. Givens doesn't bring any ST value, usually something you want of your 5th WR...guess it depends on how many they carry, but unless givens offers a role on ST's I doubt they'll keep him at a 1.5 cap hit.
Never said he would overtake Quick/Britt or anyone else on the depth chart, but if Quick is late to the regular season because of his shoulder, Givens is the better alternative, especially when compared to Sasser. jmo.

iced

Never said he would overtake Quick/Britt or anyone else on the depth chart, but if Quick is late to the regular season because of his shoulder, Givens is the better alternative, especially when compared to Sasser. jmo.

no I understand - quick is supposed to be back most likely week 1..

I was just trying to point out where Givens was on the depth chart - i don't think he'll overtake anyone either...but his spot is in jeopardy imo

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Alan using an ironic word when discussing his poop-in-the-pool story.

Part of the result of that incident was that the management decided to add crap loads more chlorine in the pool.

Some draft observations from the gang over at TurfShowTimes:

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2015/4...er-is-jeff-fisher-todd-gurley-georgia-top-ten

2015 NFL Draft: Todd Gurley Pick Analysis, Grade (w/ Approval Poll)
By Eric Nagel

Is anyone really that surprised by this pick? Shocked, maybe - understandably at a loss of words, even. It's not a pick many had mocked to the Rams, but let's be real here: we're talking about Jeff Fisher. Drafting a RB, after three straight years of new rushers, should not blow your mind. The last three years, the Rams have been looking for a lead back, unsatisfied with the previous runners.

Todd Gurley is good. Very good. You have to be if you are compared toAdrian Peterson and Marshawn Lynch. Of that, there should be no doubt. Gurley has a rare combination of power and speed that makes him worthy of a top ten pick. With the dust settled, it's clear as day what the Rams are going to do next year.

Run the ball. Again and again, and again.

While Zac Stacy and Tre Mason are good runners (and I was a fan of the Rams grabbing Mason last year, much to my chagrin), Gurley is the best of both of them. That's worth quite a bit to a traditional coach like Jeff Fisher.

But I can hear you screaming at your screen. That offensive line! You're probably right - it looks horrible on paper. The Rams worst case scenario happened tonight. Flowers and Scherff were gone. La'el Collins? In the middle of a murder investigation. With the top pass rushers, quarterbacks and wide receivers gone, the Rams wouldn't have found a team wanting to trade up because there wasn't a player worth trading up for.

So they stood their ground and picked the best player on their board.

Luckily, there are offensive line options in the second round: AJ Cann, TJ Clemmings, Jake Fisher and Ali Marpet are all still available. La'el Collins is also a possibility later in the draft - If the Rams can snag a 1st round lock for a middle round pick, he's worth the risk. In other words, it's still a little early to doom the draft.

With those players in mind...there wasn't much that could be done with the tenth pick, so Jeff Fisher did Jeff Fisher and took a dominant offensive weapon. This offense is built around power. Physical backs and tall receivers. The Rams want to abuse opposing defenses in 2015, assuming they can net a positive play or two in the process.

Can Gurley get past the line of scrimmage? That's what Friday and Saturday is for. The Rams finally have a dominant and deeply talented position on offense. It might not have been the one we wanted, but I'll take it. If Steven Jackson is happy, I think the Rams did okay.

Grade: B+

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2015/5...-louis-rams-jamon-brown-grade-poll/in/8292650

2015 NFL Draft: Jamon Brown Analysis and Grade w/ Approval Poll
By Tevin Broner@T_Bron

usa-today-8154708.0.jpg

Mark Konezny-USA TODAY Sports
The Rams really want to run the ball.

The St. Louis Rams had huge voids to fill on their offensive line and in true Jeff Fisher fashion the St. Louis Rams draft offensive lineman Jamon Brown out of Louisville.

Previously before this pick the Rams drafted a massive run blocker inRob Havenstein, but the Rams decided that one run blocker is not enough, they needed two big boys down there. Brown has played both tackle positions - but the initialreports are that Brown will go inside and play guard. Brown is kind of a project for the Rams, in that he is a pretty good run blocker, but as a pass protector he is raw.

Here is NFL Network on the Rams new offensive linemen - who they thought would be drafted in the 4 or 5th round.

Intriguing tackle/guard prospect. His mass and athletic limitations are best-suited inside and his quickness off the snap could be an indicator that Brown's best football could be ahead of him. With a wider base and better body control, Brown could become a starting guard or potential tackle in power scheme.

Brown has the potential to be a pretty good offensive linemen for the Rams, and the Rams have mentioned that they want to run the ball a lot. Brown might not be able to protect Nick Foles as well as fans would like in year one, but the Rams running backs will love running behind the big guard.

Grade: B-

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2015/5/3/8537515/2015-nfl-draft-martin-Ifedi

2015 NFL Draft: Martin Ifedi Analysis w/ Poll
By Tevin Broner@T_Bron

The St. Louis Rams made their last selection of the 2015 NFL Draft selecting defensive end Martin Ifedi. The Rams have solid defensive line depth, but the Rams always look forward to adding more youngster to the line.

The Rams have some old defensive ends and although there really is not a big chance that a defensive end will make the squad, the Rams can always have young depth to hide on their practice squad. Ifedi is not a speed rusher, he uses his power to get through offensive linemen and not around them.

Here is a scouting report from NFL Network on Ifedi.

His lack of athleticism and skill as a pass rush.er could hurt his draft stock, but Ifedi has the strength and toughness to be considered as a left end with run-stopping potential in a 4-3 defense.

It will be interesting to watch Ifedi and see if he can get into the top 8 defensive linemen. If he can not do that, that does not mean that the Rams will let him go, they can always stash him on practice squad. From what I am reading on scouting reports he does have a high-motor and the Rams do like those type of players.

Grade: C-

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
For me I think it was a good to very good draft. I didn't see the Gurley pick coming and he is the hinge that this draft swings on IMO. It could still be good if the O-line alone is improved. It could be great if Gurley heals up nicely.

Mannion is frosting for me. I know many don't like that pick but I watched just about every game he played in. Last year is no year to judge him by. He had no - and I mean ZERO - weapons and his O-line couldn't block a HS D-lineman. And still they ranked 32nd nationally in passing yards. He has several different releases depending on the situation. In most cases, he uses his height well and throws with an over the top motion making his passes pretty hard to block - Stanford game (IIRR) not withstanding as they simply pinned their ears back and challenged the Beavs useless receiver corp to get open quickly.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this team comes together this season. If we get good play out of this rookie class, we are going to win our division - period. And that will make this an outstanding draft for me.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The OL in this draft had guys all over the place depending on who you ask. There were so damn many of them from 2nd round on with similar grades that there was a lot of deviation. This is why Snead said the Rams were willing to move down, because they saw a bunch of guys they liked that could help them. Not many went, only 2 I believe, so of that group the Rams clearly did love Havenstein. This isn't a guy they gambled and got stuck with, they selected him.

I mean I have to admit that I hated the Gurley pick, for example, because my favorite RB in this draft was Gordon and I can't get past that ACL. I couldn't believe they didn't take Dawson in round 4. I was actually perturbed when they took a receiver two slots ahead of Darren Waller who went to the MFing Ravens argh. But you know what? Screw it, maybe, just maybe the Rams know more than we do.

Snead and Fish are not Devaney and Spags. These guys have demonstrated that they know how to draft. So at this point I think it's a really good sign that they brought in 4 OL. I think Havenstein will start very quickly at RT, no later than game 4 but probably from game 1 in my estimation regardless of whether Barks is signed. From there, Coach Bou has a million options at LG and several at center.

This team is poised to do great things... They're gonna play great defense and run the ball well from game one. That can get you far in this league, and they have the pieces to do quite a bit in the passing game too. So for me this draft did what it had to do, namely get that OL on track and it's gonna pay off.

Alan

Legend
Prime Time catching my drift:
Alan using an ironic word when discussing his poop-in-the-pool story.

Luckily, there are offensive line options in the second round: AJ Cann, TJ Clemmings, Jake Fisher and Ali Marpet are all still available. La'el Collins is also a possibility later in the draft - If the Rams can snag a 1st round lock for a middle round pick, he's worth the risk. In other words, it's still a little early to doom the draft.

Can Gurley get past the line of scrimmage?

Grade: C-
Thought you'd like that. It just seemed to fit perfectly. :LOL:

How'd those second round options that would have made our draft not a "doomed" enterprise work out? :(

Exactly.

The guy is stealing my thoughts and just changing them slightly in the hope I won't notice. :mad: :LOL:

Last edited:

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Great.

Gurley was BPA, and from there they attacked the Oline. I'm confident that they know what they are looking for on the Oline, so I'm VERY happy with everyone selected.

Excited to see Mannion in preseason.

Alan

Legend
Merlin relying on an old stand by to quell his fears:
Screw it, maybe, just maybe the Rams know more than we do.
Having knowledge and using it optimally are two different things. Every extra bit of knowledge shapes your response to a problem a little differently but it still requires critical thinking, not influenced by old out dated knowledge to produce a viable end product.

I liked your thoughts on the picks you mentioned though I wouldn't have drafted Gordon either.

As for their drafting history, unimpressive to me considering the picks they had to work with.