So what did you think of our draft?(Take the poll)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So what did you think of our draft?

• Great

Votes: 49 23.8%
  • Good

Votes: 122 59.2%
  • Average

Votes: 19 9.2%
  • Poor

Votes: 8 3.9%
  • WTH?

Votes: 8 3.9%

• Total voters

Alan

Legend
http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/05/02/2015-nfl-draft-grades-winners-losers?page=2#49ers
"St. Louis Rams: A

Offensive line was the primary need for Jeff Fisher's team, and the Rams certainly attacked that need with a vengeance. They took Wisconsin tackle Rob Havenstein in the second round, Louisville tackle Jamon Brown in the third, Iowa tackle Andrew Donnal in the fourth and Fresno State guard Cody Wichmann in the sixth. Havenstein projects as a right tackle, Donnal can move around, Brown might be better as a guard, and Wichmann is a straight-up mauler on the inside. Of course, these gentlemen will be competing for the honor of blocking for the Rams' first-rounder: Georgia running back Todd Gurley, who could be the best overall offensive player in this draft class if his ACL injury isn't a lingering issue. If new quarterback Nick Foles can live up to his potential, the Rams will be a very dangerous team this season.—DF"

Shrooms? :LOL:

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I voted good. With the actual available prospects I'm not sure a great draft was actually possible, though. As it is they got the most talented player in the draft who has an injury question though. Then they got the linemen they wanted, big maulers. They got the developmental QB their experts wanted, though he left some here unimpressed. Late in the draft they got some interesting players, which is really all you can hope for late in any draft.

Let's not forget they had traded two picks mid-season for a strong safety they really like too - Baron is part of the draft, really.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Alan asking a question or making a confession? :eek: :)

Shrooms? :LOL:

Let's not forget they had traded two picks mid-season for a strong safety they really like too - Baron is part of the draft, really.

An important point. (y)

Click the link below to see if this is a screwup or a passive-aggressive message that the Rams draft was a car wreck.

http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/st-louis-tv-report-on-rams-draft-is-most-accurate-news-1701757737

Alan

Legend
Prime Time bringing back fond memories:
Asking a question or making a a confession:
I've turned into a wuss. Long gone are the days when I could drop a hit of Orange Sunshine or do some shrooms after getting high on some black Afgani Primo hash. :(

Of course I can only remember small parts of those days but they were probably great. :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

nighttrain

Legend
I've turned into a wuss. Long gone are the days when I could drop a hit of Orange Sunshine or do some shrooms after getting high on some black Afgani Primo hash. :(

Of course I can only remember small parts of those days but they were probably great. :LOL: :ROFLMAO:
I barely remember the 80's, but friends still alive said it was simply marvelous
train

Alan

Legend
nighttrain having been there done that:
I barely remember the 80's, but friends still alive said it was simply marvelous
Exactly train. Three of my good friends didn't make it to the 80's. Good thing I saw where that train was going and got off before I got my ticket punched.:) Those were some great times though. :rockon: :cheers:

Probably. :LOL:

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There was just something about watching those 70's Rams teams. It was pure football, and we just dominated. Those regular season games against the Steelers were awesome!

Can't wait for the slugfests against Seattle. We will be by far their toughest opponent going forward. I am quite confident that they are concerned.

just ONCE in the 70's i wished the Rams could have faced the Steelers in the super bowl. i'd put money on the steelers having 3 super bowl wins in the 70's if it had happened. dominant Oline and Dline play. never had the QB capable of winninig the big game though (like Bradshaw)>

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
just ONCE in the 70's i wished the Rams could have faced the Steelers in the super bowl. i'd put money on the steelers having 3 super bowl wins in the 70's if it had happened. dominant Oline and Dline play. never had the QB capable of winninig the big game though (like Bradshaw)>

Hate to break this to you . . .

Super Bowl XIV - in 1980, but after the 1979 season.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I think I'd rather drift back to the GSOT days but with Fisher here that ain't happening. With these players he's finally going to have what he wants to work with. Hopefully we get the results we expected when we hired him. Gurley pans out, it could be a good year.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Hate to break this to you . . .

Super Bowl XIV - in 1980, but after the 1979 season.

Yep, were up 19-14 going into the 4th Q, too... then gave up 17 straight points... crushing defeat...

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I think I'd rather drift back to the GSOT days but with Fisher here that ain't happening. With these players he's finally going to have what he wants to work with. Hopefully we get the results we expected when we hired him. Gurley pans out, it could be a good year.

I actually think Fisher's ahead of the curve on this one.

Look at this draft. Each year, teams need to replace guys at every position. Well, other than Andrew Luck, how many Franchise QBs have entered the league? Even if Jameis Winston is a Franchise QB, what's that...two in the last 4 drafts?

That's just not enough to feed the pass heavy NFL. Teams are already struggling to replace aging passers and as soon as Manning, Brady and Breeze leave the game, where will the next generation of top passers come from? Russell Wilson isn't a passer, he's part of that new cadre of "game manager" and Seattle is an anomaly that only throws the ball just over 48% of the time as opposed to a league average 54%. That's actually a pretty big difference across a season.

Defenses are currently built to "get to the QB" and "defend against aerial assaults" with long DBs and LBs with range as well as undersized DEs who can outquick OTs.

Well, as we saw both Seattle and NE do, what does a defense do when you run at them 45 times? If you can do that, I mean.

They fold because they don't have the personnel to withstand that ground assault. It's a systemic mismatch. And the good news for us is that Seattle is about to go BACKWARDS and pay their game manager as if he were more important to them than Peyton Manning is to the Broncos and let Lynch retire without replacing him. Seattle should have given up their entire draft for Gurley and let it be known that he'd sit. I can't put into words how thankful I am that they didn't because we're going to be in a position with a young OL built to maul and a runner with all the qualities to be in the conversation with AP and Lynch (faster than Lynch by a bunch, actually) to run roughshod over this league for a while... all while the league flounders trying to continue being a passing league even though the college game rarely puts out Franchise QBs anymore (and then, if that Franchise QB goes to a team that sucks and doesn't have a team around him, it's a waste).

Tell you what.

I LOVE the Gurley pick. I do. I think he's a super kid who's going to win folks over early.

Another pick I love? Cody Wichmann. Love that guy. Every one else has little things that you know coach is going to have to work on. With Wichmann, if Fisher said TODAY, Wichmann is our starting ROG, I'd be like... okay. Cool. That guy can handle it. Now, we'll know more about how true that is come OTAs and TC, but based on the footage I've seen of him, I really like his fundamentals a ton.

I think the OL stuff will be a battle and that's great and our DL needs to whip them into shape in a hurry. That said, I really like Wichmann best of all the picks, I don't care which round he went. Guy ran a 4.9 40. If he'd gone to the Combine with those measureables and his film doing what he did against Leonard Williams, it's hard to imagine him dropping past the 3rd round and not being penciled in as either a starter or fighting for a starting job.

Everyone doesn't need to feel groovy about this draft. I got that covered.

We are set up to dominate, something that I didn't have a ton of confidence about when the schedule came out...

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Well, you almost got your wish. SB XIV was on January 20, 1980. So while it wasn't in the 70's, it was between the Rams & Steelers.

Only SB I attended. And it was indescribeable. They played so valiently, that at the end I of that game I was so damn proud of that damn. I wan't pissed at all about losing that SB.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I actually think Fisher's ahead of the curve on this one.

Look at this draft. Each year, teams need to replace guys at every position. Well, other than Andrew Luck, how many Franchise QBs have entered the league? Even if Jameis Winston is a Franchise QB, what's that...two in the last 4 drafts?

That's just not enough to feed the pass heavy NFL. Teams are already struggling to replace aging passers and as soon as Manning, Brady and Breeze leave the game, where will the next generation of top passers come from? Russell Wilson isn't a passer, he's part of that new cadre of "game manager" and Seattle is an anomaly that only throws the ball just over 48% of the time as opposed to a league average 54%. That's actually a pretty big difference across a season.

Defenses are currently built to "get to the QB" and "defend against aerial assaults" with long DBs and LBs with range as well as undersized DEs who can outquick OTs.

Well, as we saw both Seattle and NE do, what does a defense do when you run at them 45 times? If you can do that, I mean.

They fold because they don't have the personnel to withstand that ground assault. It's a systemic mismatch. And the good news for us is that Seattle is about to go BACKWARDS and pay their game manager as if he were more important to them than Peyton Manning is to the Broncos and let Lynch retire without replacing him. Seattle should have given up their entire draft for Gurley and let it be known that he'd sit. I can't put into words how thankful I am that they didn't because we're going to be in a position with a young OL built to maul and a runner with all the qualities to be in the conversation with AP and Lynch (faster than Lynch by a bunch, actually) to run roughshod over this league for a while... all while the league flounders trying to continue being a passing league even though the college game rarely puts out Franchise QBs anymore (and then, if that Franchise QB goes to a team that sucks and doesn't have a team around him, it's a waste).

Tell you what.

I LOVE the Gurley pick. I do. I think he's a super kid who's going to win folks over early.

Another pick I love? Cody Wichmann. Love that guy. Every one else has little things that you know coach is going to have to work on. With Wichmann, if Fisher said TODAY, Wichmann is our starting ROG, I'd be like... okay. Cool. That guy can handle it. Now, we'll know more about how true that is come OTAs and TC, but based on the footage I've seen of him, I really like his fundamentals a ton.

I think the OL stuff will be a battle and that's great and our DL needs to whip them into shape in a hurry. That said, I really like Wichmann best of all the picks, I don't care which round he went. Guy ran a 4.9 40. If he'd gone to the Combine with those measureables and his film doing what he did against Leonard Williams, it's hard to imagine him dropping past the 3rd round and not being penciled in as either a starter or fighting for a starting job.

Everyone doesn't need to feel groovy about this draft. I got that covered.

We are set up to dominate, something that I didn't have a ton of confidence about when the schedule came out...

I don't think you need a franchise QB to be able to pass in the NFL. I don't think you need that to win a SB. Regardless of what type of team you are you need to control the LOS. That's blue4's only secret to SB victory. Do that and you have a shot. Hopefully these new guys can do that.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I voted average mainly because I think it's unfair that drafts get graded this early, so I gave them as I would any team (except the Whiners and Seahawks who will always get an F) an average grade

Do I like the picks? I'm not sure; this is a weird draft and one in which I don't think I had clear grades on certain players. I do think I would have taken a 7th round flier on Collins (but who knows what's really going on with him). I don't know what the Rams hope will happen with Havenstein and Brown, but I'm a bit leery of any rookie starting on the OL yet alone two. Hopefully they'll be able to contribute right away.

I do wish (this may be unpopular) we would have taken a CB earlier in the draft. I'm really worried about 2016 because I don't see how it will be possible that we keep both Trumain Johnson and Jenkins on the team

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
I do wish (this may be unpopular) we would have taken a CB earlier in the draft. I'm really worried about 2016 because I don't see how it will be possible that we keep both Trumain Johnson and Jenkins on the team

I'm hoping Joyner can step up at some point. They must have spent a 2nd round pick on him for some reason.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Just got back from Jamaica . Ya mon! :banana:
Did not like this draft at all and I believe the draft went south from the very start when we drafted Gurley. I say this not having done any research (as in looking at tape) on any of the players we chose. I'm basing my opinion on what the majority of the prospect rankings and profiles I've read from the usual suspects, CBS (Prisco & Brugler), NFL.com and Walter Football (mainly for their projected rounds) to name three of them.
I give that draft a D+ if the Gurley pick doesn't pan out and a C+ if it does. With the choices available I chose WTF.
Sorry to start out on such a negative note my first day posting after my vacation. :(
Pretty much how I feel about this draft. I understand the reasoning behind picking Gurley, but don't agree with it. I realize it likley upgrades an area we were already solid at, but then it seemed to put us behind the rest of the draft...where we seemed to reach with several picks. It seems like we reached with our next few picks and now are going to be plugging in guys that should be projects as likey starters. Hopefully Gurley not only recovers quickly but busts out quickly.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
We need OL and playmakers. Nailed it on both. I gave it a 'good' grade. I am not going to give a great grade because we have no idea how these picks will pan out - but if you look at addressing needs - I'll trust Fisher and Snead more than anybody else's opinion on this board.

Gurley is a beast. I think we'll all see that.

I think people would have felt a lot better about the Mannion pick if he would have come out last year. Look at his #'s from the 2013 season. He lost a ton of weapons after 2013 and his production did go down. But he's got the size and arm to be a good QB. Especially in this system.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just got back from Jamaica . Ya mon! :banana:

Did not like this draft at all and I believe the draft went south from the very start when we drafted Gurley. I say this not having done any research (as in looking at tape) on any of the players we chose. I'm basing my opinion on what the majority of the prospect rankings and profiles I've read from the usual suspects, CBS (Prisco & Brugler), NFL.com and Walter Football (mainly for their projected rounds) to name three of them.

So as to keep my own thoughts to be unenfluenced by any of I haven't read any of my fellow RODites thoughts on this so keep that in mind.

FWIW, here are some of my thoughts: AVERAGE READING TIME 3 DAYS.

Gurley
Key facts:
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/todd-gurley?id=2552475
WEAKNESSES
"Missed three games in 2013 due to ankle injury and tore his ACL in 2014. Questions about whether he'll return back to his play speed are a big concern."
" He played less than 40 percent of his team's offensive snaps over the last three years, so there is plenty of tread still on the tires. Has the talent to be a top-five NFL running back, but ACL tear clouds the short-term picture."
Who did we draft? The Gurley/Marshawn Lynch 2.0 pre ACL injury Gurly or the post ACL injury Gurley? As we all know, all too well, once you have suffered an ACL injury your are morelikey to suffer another one. I didn't like the pick of Stacy because I felt he was always getting dinged up and he's continued that trend in the NFL. Will Gurley? How can you read the above without coming away thinking 'injury prone'?

Having said that, what with the legal cloud hanging over Collins head and Scherff off the boards, I didn't like many of the alternatives at #10. Based on my research and what I read in our own mock draft I didn't like Peat or Flowers at #10 but they went at #11 and #13 some professionals who know much more than I desagree with my take on that.

IMO we should have traded down but did we have a dance partner? I'll break that down a little further by asking did we want too much? More on this later.

The Gurley pick negatively effected this draft above and beyond just the uncertainty about the player himself, I think think it had a huge negative effect on the rest of the draft.

Havenstein
Key facts:
http://walterfootball.com/draft2015OT.php
Projected Round (2015): 4-6.
"At the Senior Bowl, Havenstein struggled in the pass-blocking one-on-ones. He was beaten by speed rushers consistently. Havenstein was decent at the Combine, but he looks like a limited athlete for the NFL."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2015/OT
Overall Ranking #114. Positional ranking #12. Projected round 3-4.
"WEAKNESSES: Limited to right guard in the NFL with ordinary athleticism for the position and will be vulnerable against NFL speed rushers."

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/rob-havenstein?id=2552363
WEAKNESSES
Stiffness in knees causes him to come out of stance way too tall. Is almost never under the pads of opponent. Too often has to sumo wrestle at impact to get defender centered. Initial lateral quickness not good enough to count on him with back-side cut-offs. Keeps hands too low pre-punch. Unathletic build with zero bubble. Some scouts worry about stiffness becoming an even greater problem after first few years in the league.
DRAFT PROJECTION: Round 3 or 4

BOTTOM LINE
Three-year starter who doesn't look the part in his uniform, but teams should worry more about how the dish tastes rather than how it is plated. With surprising feet to pair with good length and balance, Havenstein has the tools to be a starting right tackle in the league. He will be adequate when asked to zone block, but he can fire out and use his hips to leverage defenders out of run lanes.

So we draft a player with our second round pick (a fairly low second round pick after the trade (#25th)?
How is this guy not a lightly cheaper version of JB? With a 2nd round pick?:eek: Was there a better OT available when we picked him? I'd say no but that brings us back to that first round pick and the trade down, both of which of which I'll say more about later.
His best position is at RG? A posotion at which our best, so far, O-line Saffold is ideally suited for? Saffold is good at LG be has played great at RG so right off the bat we've weakened ourselves.

Mind boggling pick were it not for the fact the cupboard was already bare.

Jamon Brown
Key facts:
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/jamon-brown?id=2552340
DRAFT PROJECTION: Round 4 or 5

SOURCES TELL US

"He could go much higher than anyone thinks because he'll be on boards as a tackle or as a guard. He can move and he has some power so he will hit more teams draft boards than some of the other guys in the draft." - NFC Executive

http://walterfootball.com/draft2015OT.php
Projected Round (2015): 4-6.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2015/OT
Overall Ranking #264. Positional ranking #22. Projected round 7-FA.

Some possible upside but he screams backup. Which we needed but with the 8th pick in the 3rd round? :eek:

Sean Mannion
One of the three second tier QBs anf I liked Grayson better but I won't complain.

Donnal
Key facts:
Not even on Walter's radar.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/andrew-donnal?id=2552352
WEAKNESSES
Doesn't have much power in his legs and won't generate very much push in run game. Gets driven off the line of scrimmage at times. Shuffles and gets base too narrow when sliding to a high pass rush attack point. Lacks physical composure when bull rushed. Upper body and hands don't carry much power. Leaner when finding targets on second level.
DRAFT PROJECTION; Round 5 or 6

BOTTOM LINE
Donnal is limited from an athletic and strength standpoint but understands the nuances of the position and how to play with technique. With an ability to pass protect and experience at both guard and tackle, he should be drafted and has a legitimate shot at making a roster.

What can I say about Donnal that isn't obvious?(n)

As usual, I won't talk about players below the 4th round but at first glance it seems to be the worst 4-6 round haul in Snisher's tenure at the Rams.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000490234/article/winners-and-losers-from-day-2-of-nfl-draft
NFC West run defenses: After grabbing the draft's best bruising runner in Todd Gurley, they picked up a road-grading right tackle Rob Havenstein in the second round and athletic guard Jamon Brown in the third. It doesn't hurt that last year's first round pick, left tackle Greg Robinson, flat-out blows defenders off the ball in the running game. The Rams are set up to challenge Marshawn Lynch and the Seahawks as the division's dominant ground attack.

Gurley effect, trade effect and final thoughts:

Reach after reach after reach.

By not picking up one of the top picks and trading down in the 2nd round we were forced to take marginal players that SCREAM perennial backups to me. Were it not for our complete lack of alternatives on the O'line I could easily see none of these guys amking the team except for Gurley and he's a huge question mark in my mind.

Why did I decry not trading down in the 1st round and bad mouth them for trading down in the 2nd round? If we had traded down in the 1st round we would still have been able to get a high quality player in this very shallow draft. When we moved down in the second round we moved out of the small pool a good players and into the the marginal/backup players pool. Especially at the key O-line positions we had holes at. On the plus side, had we not traded own and still picked Brown we would have, again, not seriously addressed the QB position. But again, had we not fallen in love with Gurley traded down in the 1st round we could have probably picked Grayson in the 3rd with the extra pick/s we would have received in the trade down.

Here's what I think is part of the problem and one of the reasons I don't like Fisher:
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_27062850-9236-5086-8f21-f40c851e32d2.html
"Asked how many potential starters he had found within the pile, Fisher said, “I don’t want to say they’re options, but they’re real players. These guys have played a lot of football in college. You look at the number of games played and starts with respect to all four of the offensive linemen that we drafted. It’s solid. They’re durable. They’re smart. They’re durable and they’re going to fit in.

No real difference in what he said here and his attitude about vets on our team. The only real difference is that these are college vets versus pro vets. IMO he puts way too much weight on experience and far too little weight on ability. That's a huge part of the reason we start guys like Joseph, Wells and Lankford over our backups and Donald despite the fact that our back up O-line players must have at least as much talent as washed up players like Wells and Joseph and in Donalds case, far far more talent (a fact that was obvious immediately to all the rest of us).

I give that draft a D+ if the Gurley pick doesn't pan out and a C+ if it does. With the choices available I chose WTF.

Sorry to start out on such a negative note my first day posting after my vacation. :(
I like the research.

I dunno... I guess I'd say average right now... way too many things to see before assessing a grade.

rking4441

Rookie
Name
Richard
Well, you almost got your wish. SB XIV was on January 20, 1980. So while it wasn't in the 70's, it was between the Rams & Steelers.

Only SB I attended. And it was indescribeable. They played so valiently, that at the end I of that game I was so damn proud of that damn. I wan't pissed at all about losing that SB.

This is the game that made me a life long Rams fans. Everyone I knew was a Steelers fan, including most in my home, but the underdog Rams played so hard you had to root for them! That's the year Youngblood played with a broken leg in the NFL Championship game and SB, what a stud that guy was!

Besides that I loved the Rams draft and it make me think we are going to look like the John Robinson Rams. You knew they were going to run and you couldn't stop them and they played great D. Gurley might just be the return to the Eric Dickerson days of glory. I think it is very cool E.D. called Gurley after the draft as everyone remembers E.D. as a Ram and not as a Colt. The run heavy/stud D isn't the most exciting football to most but I love it. Most loves the HR pass, I like the KO hit! Ask Emanuel Sanders about his memories, or lack of, and I am sure that hit against the Rams is on the list.

Go Rams!

Alan

Legend
Rmfnlt with a meh reaction:
I like the research.

I dunno... I guess I'd say average right now... way too many things to see before assessing a grade.

Thanks! Now if I can just cut down on all the typing errors so that people can actually understand what I'm saying. :LOL:

If Gurley has a long successful career people will look back at this draft as a success and you're right that it's way too early to pass definitive judgement on our draft but I just don't see a strong possibility that many of these players will have good to great NFL careers. Even Gurley has a lot of hurdles to overcome. Both in keeping healthy and contending against defenses that try to mirror what South Carolina tried to do to stop him if our O-line can't pass block effectively.

Bottom line for me is if we had this same team last year before the 2014 draft and all the players we drafted this year were in last year's draft I doubt we'd draft any of them except Gurley.