So Now that Watkins is Headed for the Chiefs...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jap

Legend
Whatever they do, I hope they bring in someone who can catch & take the top of the defensive coverage quickly. Jared wants to start working out with his fly guys---all of them!---and be fully ready to fly the friendly skies of Air McVay this coming season.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
How will you "know" that our need isn't so great?

As for "whinning" over draft picks, we gave up a 2018 2nd round pick for a 2019 3rd round pick (if it falls that way). A 2019 3rd rounder is worth a 2018 4th fourth rounder. So we gave up Gaines and a 2018 2nd rounder for a one year rental of Watkins and a 2018 4th rounder. That BLOWS.

Well of his presence in the offense helped get Goff over the hump so to speak in his development, then it was worth it.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Seeing what the Chiefs paid, I have no issue now with the Rams not inking him to a deal.

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
People keep saying "stand pat" - that makes no sense.

Even if you want Reynolds to take Sammy's place, that makes our WR depth the worst in the NFL. We have to either sign a FA or spend a midround pick on a WR now.

This is the first misstep of the new regime - Aaron, Todd and Jared (or another QB) were always going to eventually get mega contracts. So you knew that when you traded for Sammy. If you weren't prepared to pay him, why trade a 2nd round pick for him?

Both Woods and Kupp were excellent in 2017, and at least Kupp will improve.
Those were not sure things when Watkins was signed.
The Rams will expect both Reynolds and Everett to have bigger roles next year.

I am sure that Rams were hoping to extend Watkins. It did not work out.

That said, without Watkins, I don't think Rams win the division in 2017, so a 2nd round pick for Rams first playoff appearance since Mad Mike, well worth it.

Billy Baroo

How about a Fresca?
How will you "know" that our need isn't so great?

As for "whinning" over draft picks, we gave up a 2018 2nd round pick for a 2019 3rd round pick (if it falls that way). A 2019 3rd rounder is worth a 2018 4th fourth rounder. So we gave up Gaines and a 2018 2nd rounder for a one year rental of Watkins and a 2018 4th rounder. That BLOWS.
Gaines is currently a FA who they weren’t going to re-sign anyway.

Name
Rod
Yeah, I hate to lose Sammy. Don't forget the negatives. Injuries, attitude, and even in Buffalo I never felt he had a fireinhisbelly. There was a time that Mike Thomas was on his way to becoming our deep threat in training camp and he was injured. In regard to Josh Reynolds he is a bit of a longstrider, but with a lil more upper body strength he can be a great long range receiver. The kid will fight for the ball.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
See ya, Sammy. I'm not surprised. We certainly don't need him at that price tag.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It will take a group effort to give us what Sammy did. I know his production was less than stellar, but he threatened the defense, whichever way they pointed him. We got a few touchdowns just off a slant to Watkins alone, and it'll be interesting to see what our go to play in the RZ is this year, with him gone.

What I predict we'll see is guys like Mike Thomas and Josh Reynolds playing that deep threat role (or possibly a free agent; they might go for Taylor Gabriel, or Paul Richardson); the other thing I think we'll see is the tight ends playing a more involved role.

I don't think it was the wrong move to let him go (especially at that price), but his skillset isn't easy to replace with one player.

They are meeting with Austin Pettis. That tells us that they have a plan to see if a receiver is an option in the draft. Thomas will be a free agent in a year or two, and Reynolds three years. Is a guy like Sutton possible in round one?

Well..I've heard that a 3rd next year is like a 4th this year (every year counts as a drop of round for current worth). If so, we gave up a 2nd rounder plus a learning year for Watkins, for a 2018 4th rounder (3rd rounder in 2019). Ugh...

Yeah that was a risky trade that didn't work out for the long haul. This year's second rounder could land a receiver.

Honestly we might have to draft Ridley or Moore now

Or Sutton.

It was worth it. I dont understand the whinning over draft picks. We needed him to open things up and help give Goff easier throws. We will get a 3rd in comp and Goff is more experienced. A 2nd was the price it took and our need was great. Now it isn't so great. We didn't lose a 2nd, we used it how best we needed at the time to help a crappy offence become the best. Now we move on.

Four years of control of a good player on a cheap contract. That is a lot to give up for one year of a guy that didn't give his all on every play.

Sammy was more than a deep decoy. He was good over the mice. Hopefully Everett can develop to do that and Reynolds or Thompson can do the deep ball part, but that is two players doing what one can. If they want it in one guy that player has to come from outside the team. Maybe they draft him.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Rams signed Tavon in 2016, guaranteed him 28.5 million of the 42 million. Would not guarantee Sammy 30 million of his 48 million contract. Sammy is a much, much better receiver than Tavon. Massive failure on the Rams part, very concerned about keeping Donald at this point. Its very clear Rams will not pay market value.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams signed Tavon in 2016, guaranteed him 28.5 million of the 42 million. Would not guarantee Sammy 30 million of his 48 million contract. Sammy is a much, much better receiver than Tavon. Massive failure on the Rams part, very concerned about keeping Donald at this point. Its very clear Rams will not pay market value.

That terrible Tavon deal doesn't justify a terrible Sammy deal.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
A good one. Gaines doesn’t fit Wade’s D. Also injured ALL THE TIME.
and yet he started for the Bills last year..and they went to the playoffs, as did we.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Honestly we might have to draft Ridley or Moore now

Sammy was the team's 4th leading receiver. We didn't lose Kupp, Woods, or Gurley. We don't need to draft a WR early. There are still a number of cheaper options in FA who could fill Sammy's role.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The amount over reaction and drama in this thread is comical. It's like a day time soap opera in here.

jap

Legend

What is the point of confusing the issue by comparing two different Horns regimes. Fisher paid Tavon the huge contract---it had nothing to do with Sean. Given the realities of looming contract deals with our top core players (i.e., Aaron, Todd, & Jared), there is limitations on what they can afford to pay Sammy and remain competitive & flexible salary cap-wise.

lockdnram21

Legend
Sammy was the team's 4th leading receiver. We didn't lose Kupp, Woods, or Gurley. We don't need to draft a WR early. There are still a number of cheaper options in FA who could fill Sammy's role.
Your sleeping on how much thr threat of him being on the field opened up for everybody...we need a #1 receiver

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They are meeting with Austin Pettis. That tells us that they have a plan to see if a receiver is an option in the draft. Thomas will be a free agent in a year or two, and Reynolds three years. Is a guy like Sutton possible in round one?

Yeah that was a risky trade that didn't work out for the long haul. This year's second rounder could land a receiver.

Or Sutton.

Four years of control of a good player on a cheap contract. That is a lot to give up for one year of a guy that didn't give his all on every play.

Sammy was more than a deep decoy. He was good over the mice. Hopefully Everett can develop to do that and Reynolds or Thompson can do the deep ball part, but that is two players doing what one can. If they want it in one guy that player has to come from outside the team. Maybe they draft him.

When we were at U of W we met with Vea but not Pettis. That should answer a lot of questions here.