Snead on negotiations with Aaron Donald: 'No movement'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Old Rock

Rookie
Name
Rock
I just don't like the agents running the show. Who are they really looking out for? They don't get a percentage for the players endorsements, do they? If it's all about money, how many millions will AD lose in this holdout? He could be the Stephen Curry ( UA vs Nike) of the NFL, but this look is not conducive to being a hero figure. I don't blame his heart, I blame his agent. Until otherwise known.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So the Rams made a "strong offer" before TC and wont budge while Donald stays out of camp, according to Schefter
The whole thing is puzzling, I would have thought they were going back and forth to make this work.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So the Rams made a "strong offer" before TC and wont budge while Donald stays out of camp, according to Schefter
The whole thing is puzzling, I would have thought they were going back and forth to make this work.
I get the feeling when f he was in camp they might budge. Just my guess.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd

Yeah, this is very disheartening if true. I was hoping that there was at least an ongoing conversation between the 2 parties.

Given that Donald has decided to hold out and the Rams are standing by their offer...doubt Donald will play opening day.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, this is very disheartening if true. I was hoping that there was at least an ongoing conversation between the 2 parties.

Given that Donald has decided to hold out and the Rams are standing by their offer...doubt Donald will play opening day.
There is still plenty of time for him to get to camp in time for game #1, but the word you used, "disheartening" really nails it.
And if it does end up being a game of chicken, I have to ask, why?
Why draw such a line in the sand with your best player?

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame

Has Donalds team gone back though? Its only a back and forth if ADs team came back.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Deadlines spur action.

While I want him in camp and I want him on the field - I would rather he miss some games than have the Rams cripple their cap by grossly over paying him.

I do think he should be looking at the biggest contract a defensive player has ever gotten - but the structure needs to give the Rams a chance to compete.

Its a game of chicken, and in my opinion, we should be rooting for the Rams to win.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Has Donalds team gone back though? Its only a back and forth if ADs team came back.
Hard to say. If the Rams arent willing to negotiate until Donald comes to camp, and Donald isnt coming to camp without a contract it seems kind of one sided

cvramsfan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I love Donald and hope plays his entire career with the RAMS and hope he gets paid well. But at some point this is on him, if the RAMS have made an nice offer. His agent works for him not the other way around. He could be in camp learning and doing the basic workout stuff, cause you know he working out anyways, while this gets done.

Austin

Rookie
Name
Douglas
I sort of don't see the point in us talking about this (he said). We know he's holding out for a contract, and we know the team would like to get him signed affordably. That's the struggle they're in, and it's going to be ongoing and there will be hurt feelings, because money is always sensitive between professionals.

The above video doesn't really give much added information either. It says the Rams made a strong offer. Yes, I would hope so. Anything else the video says sounds like implied information, or similarly obvious information: both sides are posturing, etc.

Ultimately, like people are saying, it's a game of chicken, and we have to accept that this is how professional sports contracts work. Things will be resolved relatively soon, in the grand scheme of things. Once we see that resolution, then there will be appraisals to be made, and then there will be a lot more to discuss.

Anyway, that's all. I don't think it serves us fans well to get too invested in news and stories like this. We only get twisted up about it, listless in the unknown, craving a solid conclusion.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Hard to say. If the Rams arent willing to negotiate until Donald comes to camp, and Donald isnt coming to camp without a contract it seems kind of one sided

Well at 0:32 of the video, its says the Rams made a strong offer before training camp. Its hard to tell based on the video if Donalds camp did anything with it.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well at 0:32 of the video, its says the Rams made a strong offer before training camp. Its hard to tell based on the video if Donalds camp did anything with it.
Right but he also says that the Rams wont discuss until he reports to camp.
I think its obvious that he rejected the offer....

ViennaMax

Rookie
he is under contract, if he already got a strong offer and still holding out while he is under contract - fine him. if needed let hime play out his contract and franchise tag... sry, but this is not professional work ethic.

Rainram

Starter
What a world to live in when you're concerns revolve around $18-$20M per year. No doubt he would have been guaranteed $70M.

$70,000,000.

You, sir, are not satisfied with being offered a guaranteed 70 million dollars? And that's not including endorsements.

perspective: If you made $150,000K per year for 40 years, that's 6,000,000. Guaranteed to make over 10 times that before age 35?

Eh...What do I know?

I know I do fairly well for myself by national standards probably and can take care of my family. I also know that I work side jobs doing carpentry and laying tile...and rarely does a week go by that I don't put 60-70 hours of work in.

I'd tell my agent to pound sand. Walk in, sign the already-lucrative deal...still hoping it doesn't hamstring the team's cap too much, so we can sign other good players. Join my team and win some games...knowing I have $70M coming my way.