Snead on negotiations with Aaron Donald: 'No movement'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/rams-gm-les-snead-on-negotiations-with-aaron-donald-no-movement/

Rams GM Les Snead on negotiations with Aaron Donald: 'No movement'

Aaron Donald is arguably the best defensive player in the game, but he isn't being paid like it. So, as the Rams prepare for their first preseason gameagainst the Cowboys on Saturday night, they're doing so without their star defensive lineman, who has yet to report to training camp.

On Friday, Rams general manager Les Snead was asked for an update on negotiations with Donald. His update? There is no update. "Not any movement," he said, per ESPN.

Still, Snead hasn't given up hope. "There is hope," he said. "There's hope that he'll be a Ram a long time."

In Snead's defense, he's a been a bit busy engineering a trade with the Billsto bring Sammy Watkins to Los Angeles. But in Donald's defense, he's massively underpaid and deserves a significant pay raise. The Rams should prioritize his contract over everything else, because as previously mentioned, he's one of the game's best players. In the first three years of his career, he has 28 sacks -- remember, he's a defensive tackle, not an edge rusher. Our Pete Prisco ranked him as the third best player in all of football, only behind Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady. He was Pro Football Focus' highest-graded interior defender last season.

Yet Donald's base salary in 2017 ($1.8 million) ranks 31st among all defensive tackles, according to Spotrac. His base salary in 2018 ($6.9 million) ranks 13th.

Understandably, the Rams probably enjoy having the best defensive tackle in football on a super cheap contract. Understandably, Donald does not enjoy that nearly as much, which is why he's not with the team for training camp. Earlier this week, our Joel Corry -- a former agent -- explained how he expects the holdout to proceed. As Corry noted in his story, the Rams have a history of rewarding first-round picks with contract extensions. Both receiver Tavon Austin and defensive end Robert Quinn got new deals before/during their fourth season. But the Rams still hold all the leverage.

I'll let Corry explain:

The Rams possess leverage over Donald because he is under contract this season for approximately $1.8 million and for $6.892 million in 2018 since the Rams picked up their fifth-year option with him. Donald could also be designated a franchise player in 2019 and 2020.

Teams giving highly-accomplished first-round picks extremely early extensions haven't exploited their leverage. Cowboys center Travis Frederick, Panthers inside linebacker Luke Kuechly, Cardinals cornerback Patrick Peterson and Texansdefensive end J.J. Watt became the highest-paid player (by average year salary) at their respective positions. Each player received All-Pro honors in two of their first three years, just like Donald.

Based on their treatment, the Rams should at least be willing to make Donald the NFL's highest-paid interior defensive lineman over Ndamukong Suh. Suh signed a six-year, $114.375 million contract with the Dolphins in 2015, which averages $19,062,500 and contains nearly $60 million fully guaranteed. Donald insisting upon being the NFL's first $20 million per-year non-quarterback with more than the $70 million in guarantees Von Miller received from the Broncos in 2016 would be justified. Miller became the league's highest paid non-quarterback at $19,083,333 per year with his extension. The Cowboys making Zack Martin, who has earned All-Pro honors in his each of three NFL seasons, the NFL's highest-paid offensive guard before Donald gets a new deal would likely added to his resolve.

The Rams might want to extend him sooner rather than later so Donald can get fully comfortable in the new defensive system that Wade Phillips is bringing from Denver to L.A.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I just don't care anymore. Aaron, if you're somehow reading this, if you don't wanna play football just retire. There's plenty of guys on this roster who would love to have your starting job. Have fun sitting out for however long it takes to make your money. Meanwhile, the guys who actually want to show up and play will be busy winning this year. We don't have time for your shit. So either get your ass here or don't bother showing up. Because we don't need you.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
There is an old Chinese saying.........

"The alchemy of patience"

AD missing TC time is of little concern.

Better to get a deal done that properly rewards him, but one that also does not cripple the team's future cap manueverability.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I just don't care anymore. Aaron, if you're somehow reading this, if you don't wanna play football just retire. There's plenty of guys on this roster who would love to have your starting job. Have fun sitting out for however long it takes to make your money. Meanwhile, the guys who actually want to show up and play will be busy winning this year. We don't have time for your crap. So either get your ass here or don't bother showing up. Because we don't need you.

I think the hardest part, for me too, is not getting angry over this.

I want him here. I think his agent (and Donald) could have put together a less aggressive strategy that yields the same result. But... they didn't.

So, now we just need to have confidence it will play out. Assuming it gets done in the next 2 weeks, this will be a blip on the radar looking back.

So, I am still patient.

But we need this done. If he gets injured due to lack of conditioning, I won't be happy at that point.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Don't get emotional about the business side of things. Aaron is represented by smart people and he is following their advice. He isn't badmouthing the team - this is just negotiating.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
He isn't badmouthing the team - this is just negotiating.

I think the lack of "chatter" is a good sign.

They are working thru this behind the scenes, and that's a good thing.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The only reason I am still a Rams fan after all cr@p fans have been through...Bad owners, 3 different moves (since the 70's), and decades of losing have tested the best of us. I can say that if the Rams had left their name and logo in LA in 1995, I would not be a fan of the team right now. It's about the history, good and bad, that connects me to this team. Before we won that Super Bowl, the only solace I had was the historically great players like my avatar, Merlin Olsen. I could bore you with all of the players and historical moments that I treasure and that along with the hope for better days for the team, keeps me coming back. I love those who have served the horns with distinction.

I had Merlin Olsen who was my favorite player of all time when I was growing up. I thought Aaron Donald was that same type of transcendent player for younger fans to cling to...that is, the memory of his superior play for the team and just loving the guy for the Ram's player that he is.

Now I'm just pizzed. What he is doing right now is selfish and is not what a leader does. YES, he needs a pay raise, even though he has years left on his contract. The RAMS believe he deserves a massive raise. He needs to get his @ss in practice so we can ramp up to a state of readiness for the season and figure out compensation as we go Our D line did well yesterday, but that was against a team without its Zeke. We NEED Donald playing to be a Top 5 Defense. Donald can still salvage himself if he comes back soon, but I myself will not forgive him as a fan if this holdout lasts into the regular season. You don't have to agree, but that's how I feel.

jap

Legend
If Sammy is really fully healthy and takes off this year, there is also the consideration that this is a contract year for him, and he will need to be paid in 2018. Gurley will become due in a few years, followed a year later by Jared. And the beat goes on . . .

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Should AD be the highest paid d lineman in the league : absolutely he should

Am I mad at the Rams for no contract : nope

Untill we know what the Rams have offered what AD demands no one can argue who is in the "wrong"

I will say this though .. OBJ .. is in the same boat as Donald and is in camp. So my latitude for Donald is wearing thin .... what does it hurt AD turning up for camp working out sitting in meeting and learning the playbook ? But sitting out of practices to avoid injury .

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Better to get a deal done that properly rewards him, but one that also does not cripple the team's future cap manueverability.

Those two things might be mutually exclusive for the next two years. I think we're projected to have 38 million in cap space next year. 20 million to Donald wouldn't leave us much to sign all the other defensive starters, replacements for this year's one year rentals, rookies, replacements for anyone who won't sign, and worst case scenario situations.

Hopefully it can get worked out, but that much money going to anyone but a QB (with the every play impact they bring to the offensive game) could be a problem.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
If you watch the video, the reporter asks something along the lines of whether or not there is any update on Donalds contract or any possible movement. Snead quickly shot back "no movement" with almost a grin. I took that as, "No, we are not trading Aaron Donald." I could be wrong though.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
From all the interviews, my feeling is that the Rams are at their "best offer" and have placed it on the table. And we're basically waiting for Donald to sign. And if he doesn't, enjoy your time off from football.

I will say, if it doesn't happen soon, don't be surprised if Aaron finds new representation. He wants to be out there with his teammates. The Rams, will not be taken advantage of. You want a rediculously early extension? These are the terms.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
If you watch the video, the reporter asks something along the lines of whether or not there is any update on Donalds contract or any possible movement. Snead quickly shot back "no movement" with almost a grin. I took that as, "No, we are not trading Aaron Donald." I could be wrong though.

No movement in regards to the contract talks. I don't think Donald as trade bait, is something even considered.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
The ball is in Aaron Donald's court...

_________
USATSI_10033882_149008644_lowres.jpg

tempJL5_1342--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
It's these fucking scumbag agents. Donald wants to play but he's been drinking slimey agent kool-aid. :puke:

TexasRam

Legend
In a limited cap team game you have to be careful to not overpay even an all world player like Donald. I want him here, but we need other peices to.

Give him a solid offer and stand firm.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Faulk made a great point last night, stating players get their best contracts when they have leverage. At this point, AD has 2 years left on his contract and has no leverage.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Donald has two years remaining on his contract but has decided to tear it up. Fine him the maximum allowable, let him play out his contract, then franchise tag him for the two seasons following his contract. F him ! Ethical standards still matter to some of us, if he doesn't want to play within the rules agreed upon by his own union, then he can retire from the game. jmo.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I thought I read on ESPN earlier this week that there was a significant offer already on the table?