Should we go after Ramsey?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I’m in. Back up the Brinks.....

Let’s New England this shit.
Pretty much what i was thinking, and to be perfectly honest the Pats' D is better this year and they now have a loaded WR core.

The Rams might need a move like this to win it all.
618614c49632fda85ff9ca7684929852314a02ea2338836726d9e1035b2a3de8.jpg

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
A question for the cap gurus.

If we traded a 1st, 5th and Peters for Ramsey, what would the cap situation be?

A question for the draft gurus out there.

If we stand pat and let Peters go at the end of the season, once again angling for that 3rd round comp pick, is there a cover CB that it's possible to target at the end of round 1? I'm not asking if there's a Jalen Ramsey at the end of round 1 because that's silly. But is there a solid cover CB that could be an alternative to Ramsey?

Cuz unless the Rams don't think he'd be a good locker room fit, the Rams seem like a very good place for Ramsey and the Jaguars a very good fit for Peters.

TheBunk

Rookie
He'd immediately become our 2nd best defensive player and maybe 2nd best player if we got him. Kind of shocked people would be against looking into this. No brainer to me.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
I don't want to pay what Ramsey is gonna cost contract wise. He's elite, but he's gonna be paid as such. I hold what we got and probably let Peters walk after this year. I'm thinking someone like Jenks will be cut and he can be signed at a decent rate while preserving draft capital and cap space. This will leave money for JJ, Kupp and Littleton.

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
2 first round picks plus the highest paid corner in the league? I think I’m good with paying Peters and keeping our picks.

Call me Crazy but I am with you! I know Peters has his isssues but I like him and would like to see the Rams concentrate more on improving their OL right now.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It depends on what it takes to get him. They might want two firsts - but I doubt any team gives that to them. Two firsts is too much, to get a guy who will almost immediately take a top contract. Peters, a second or a third would be different. Peters would offset the salary, and give them a nice comp pick in the future.

Maybe a little more, if the Rams think they could fit his salary going forward. Much more than that, and it would mean the Rams would need to pay him. No way two firsts though. And they can't absorb his current contract without trading somebody back, most likely Peters.

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ramsey in horns is too much to ask for

I bet he’s a Raider or Cowboy cause my dreams tend to get crushed
Yeah he has RAMS(ey) in his fricken name. It’s a sign. Go get him. We’ll need him against the Cheatriots if we play them this year.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Next yrs #1 pick, if they keep it, will likely be DL help since Brockers is likely gone and the other DL on this team (not named Donald) are JAGS at this point. That would be a cheap premium player on a 5 yr rookie deal.

If they don't keep it, they turn the #1 into a #2 & #3 and they likely become a DL and CB ... So it's two cheap additions that could be guys on the level of Taylor Rapp and John Johnson.

I would rather have the cheap premium picks, considering the cap structure they have now, vs a guy that while talented could also be very disruptive and definitely will cost you some young players you will not be able to afford to keep.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I had a PM conversation with @flv on his thoughts on the salary cap cost of JR for basically two seasons 2019/2020. His comments were excellent but this was the key info he related IMO :
"Any team trading for Ramsey right now trades for 15/17ths of his current $3,634,227 4th year contract and also acquires the rights and responsibilities of the 5th year option. His $3,795,638 signing bonus cap hit stays with the Jaguars." (y):giggle:

The Best info I can find on the OTC on whichever team acquires JR & wants him for his 5th season ...it will cost them approx $13.7 million.

Marcus Peters cost the Rams 9.1 million this season much less than the cost of JR. If its true the Rams desires Peters (Non Contact & No Tackle play) after this seasono_O .... Peters future salary cap cost is sure to cost more that what JR's will be in 2020. After 2020 one would expect JR to cost a bit more.

Fans have a lot to say about JR's negatives off the field about his verbal vomits but his actions on the field are certainly better than Peters. How can fans be worried about JRs verbal vomits when the Rams have a "Peter":palm: for 3 seasons?

Rams will need two starting CB's before the start of summer of 2020. Yes, Snead snagged career long back up Troy Hill in free agency back in March to be projected as one of the outside corners. Snead also drafted a very young David Long who has not shown yet why we selected him on the 2nd day of the draft. The only other CB under contract is UDFA former WWC & under 5'9" tall Darious Williams whose talents are more closely in the Nickel & Dime posts.

Last edited:

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
All these people hating on Peters but as I have posted on here, his name has not been called in the first two games which is a good thing for a CB.
Actually it has. An unsportsmanlike conduct penalty and him ripping of someone's helmet. Should have been another penalty. I am not for getting Ramsey, just to disruptive for the chemistry, but Peter's will cost us this season with a bone head move.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
A question for the cap gurus.

If we traded a 1st, 5th and Peters for Ramsey, what would the cap situation be?

A question for the draft gurus out there.

If we stand pat and let Peters go at the end of the season, once again angling for that 3rd round comp pick, is there a cover CB that it's possible to target at the end of round 1? I'm not asking if there's a Jalen Ramsey at the end of round 1 because that's silly. But is there a solid cover CB that could be an alternative to Ramsey?

Cuz unless the Rams don't think he'd be a good locker room fit, the Rams seem like a very good place for Ramsey and the Jaguars a very good fit for Peters.
It actually opens up over 5 million in cap space this year. Next year it would create issues. It would make it all but impossible to bring back Talib, Whitworth and Brockers even Littleton. Right now we would have 40 players signed and a bit over $20 million in cap space and our picks could take up $8 million of that for 7 guys. There are always consequences to each contract.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
It actually opens up over 5 million in cap space this year. Next year it would create issues. It would make it all but impossible to bring back Talib, Whitworth and Brockers even Littleton. Right now we would have 40 players signed and a bit over $20 million in cap space and our picks could take up $8 million of that for 7 guys. There are always consequences to each contract.
The conservative approach in this issue would be to center on keeping as many of our future draft selections as possible. This places the main focus on drafting the best prospects possible to help this Ram teams Championship window remain open for the longest period of time.

Rams nucleus is excellent for the next 3 to 4 yrs. As we know having ultra low cost young talented drafted players refurbishing this 53/MR is the objective. At the same time making every effort to retain & sign our own best players we can. Players like homegrown LB'er Cory Littleton would be #1 in my small mind but Dante Fowler & Greg Zuerlein have more value because of the positions they work in. Rams must have some available cap space & certainly signing players like Ramsey & Peters will severely hamper this.

Bests to trust Snead's scout cadre to find us replacement for Peters & Talib in the draft & keep this Ram family together as best we can because Free Agency in March 2021 is going to be tough:
Nickell Robey-ColemanCB29LARTBD$5,225,000UFA-
Clay MatthewsOLB35LARTBD$4,625,000UFA-
Malcolm BrownRB28LARTBD$1,650,000UFA-
Troy HillCB30LARTBD$1,612,763UFA-
Gerald EverettTE27LARTBD$1,511,117UFA-
Jake McQuaideLS33LARTBD$1,175,000UFA-
Cooper KuppWR28LARTBD$957,940UFA-
John JohnsonSS26LARTBD$814,688UFA-
Josh ReynoldsWR26LARTBD$762,005UFA-
Samson EbukamOLB26LARTBD$753,271UFA-
Tanzel SmartDT26LARTBD$641,196UFA-

London_Ram

Rookie
I love the thought of Ramsey playing for the Rams and cap space permitting would trade our low end 1st and Peters for him working on the basis it could be a trade that work for the Jags and we can't have both of them.

Forgetting the finances my reservation is on the "We not Me" culture. Yep Peters has already given away a stupid penalty this year and the locker room may too think he could derail any game at any time with another stupid decision; but I'd also want to consider how the rest of locker room would react with us jettisoning a starter after wk 2 whose play in the 2 games doesn't necessarily merit it. If the front office and coaches think it would cause issues with the squad then don't do it. But if they think they're not bothered one way or the other then go for it.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The conservative approach in this issue would be to center on keeping as many of our future draft selections as possible. This places the main focus on drafting the best prospects possible to help this Ram teams Championship window remain open for the longest period of time.

Rams nucleus is excellent for the next 3 to 4 yrs. As we know having ultra low cost young talented drafted players refurbishing this 53/MR is the objective. At the same time making every effort to retain & sign our own best players we can. Players like homegrown LB'er Cory Littleton would be #1 in my small mind but Dante Fowler & Greg Zuerlein have more value because of the positions they work in. Rams must have some available cap space & certainly signing players like Ramsey & Peters will severely hamper this.

Bests to trust Snead's scout cadre to find us replacement for Peters & Talib in the draft & keep this Ram family together as best we can because Free Agency in March 2021 is going to be tough:
Nickell Robey-ColemanCB29LARTBD$5,225,000UFA-
Clay MatthewsOLB35LARTBD$4,625,000UFA-
Malcolm BrownRB28LARTBD$1,650,000UFA-
Troy HillCB30LARTBD$1,612,763UFA-
Gerald EverettTE27LARTBD$1,511,117UFA-
Jake McQuaideLS33LARTBD$1,175,000UFA-
Cooper KuppWR28LARTBD$957,940UFA-
John JohnsonSS26LARTBD$814,688UFA-
Josh ReynoldsWR26LARTBD$762,005UFA-
Samson EbukamOLB26LARTBD$753,271UFA-
Tanzel SmartDT26LARTBD$641,196UFA-
Excellent post! One think I did wrong earlier too is to take out the picks we would trade for him from what our rookie class would cost, so take it down a million or two, interesting that spotrac shows us not having a first next year. I wasn’t aware of his unless they’re already taking our first away for Ramsey :D

Kevin

Pro Bowler
The Rams have about $34.3 million in salary cap room in 2020. Assuming this trade happens and Ramsey plays for us in 2020 under his fifth year salary of $13.7 million, we would still have about $20.6 million in cap room to resign maybe two of the players you listed above, plus sign a much cheaper draft class.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams have about $34.3 million in salary cap room in 2020. Assuming this trade happens and Ramsey plays for us in 2020 under his fifth year salary of $13.7 million, we would still have about $20.6 million in cap room to resign maybe two of the players you listed above, plus sign a much cheaper draft class.
I doubt it. Aside from maybe Brockers any two of those guys are over $10 million each even Talib. Littleton is playing his way to a contract. I didn’t even add Fowler to the list! Think he’ll be cheap?

Last edited:

Kevin

Pro Bowler
I doubt it. Aside from maybe Brockers any two of those guys are over $10 million each even Talib. Littleton is playing his way to a contract. I didn’t even add Fowler to the list! Think he’ll be cheap?
Yeah, we could resign one but there's probably not enough for another. I would rather not trade for Ramsey and use the cap money in 2020 to resign Littleton and Fowler to long-term deals with money left over.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I really wanna love Peters. When we traded for him I thought we were getting the best CB in the league. It’s just crazy to me he hasn’t gotten the turnovers he had in KC. I knew we would have to deal with yardage and touchdowns given up. But man, Ramsey does EVERYTHING well. Our defense would become the best in the league if you replaced Peters with Ramsey. I wish we could have both.