Should we go after Ramsey?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I had a PM conversation with @flv on his thoughts on the salary cap cost of JR for basically two seasons 2019/2020. His comments were excellent but this was the key info he related IMO :
"Any team trading for Ramsey right now trades for 15/17ths of his current $3,634,227 4th year contract and also acquires the rights and responsibilities of the 5th year option. His $3,795,638 signing bonus cap hit stays with the Jaguars." (y):giggle:

The Best info I can find on the OTC on whichever team acquires JR & wants him for his 5th season ...it will cost them approx $13.7 million.

Marcus Peters cost the Rams 9.1 million this season much less than the cost of JR. If its true the Rams desires Peters (Non Contact & No Tackle play) after this seasono_O .... Peters future salary cap cost is sure to cost more that what JR's will be in 2020. After 2020 one would expect JR to cost a bit more.

Fans have a lot to say about JR's negatives off the field about his verbal vomits but his actions on the field are certainly better than Peters. How can fans be worried about JRs verbal vomits when the Rams have a "Peter":palm: for 3 seasons?

Rams will need two starting CB's before the start of summer of 2020. Yes, Snead snagged career long back up Troy Hill in free agency back in March to be projected as one of the outside corners. Snead also drafted a very young David Long who has not shown yet why we selected him on the 2nd day of the draft. The only other CB under contract is UDFA former WWC & under 5'9" tall Darious Williams whose talents are more closely in the Nickel & Dime posts.

Very nice, but one thing. JR is substantially cheaper than Peters.

JR is 15/17ths of $3.6M for this year. Peters is $9.1M Next year, JR is like $10.1M. Peters under a tag would be what, $18M. So sans a contract extension, Peters is the more expensive over the next two seasons by about $13.5M, $8M of which would be next year.

Might be off a little bit.

That said, your breakdown of our alternatives only further makes the case for Ramsey, imho.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Very nice, but one thing. JR is substantially cheaper than Peters.

JR is 15/17ths of $3.6M for this year. Peters is $9.1M Next year, JR is like $10.1M. Peters under a tag would be what, $18M. So sans a contract extension, Peters is the more expensive over the next two seasons by about $13.5M, $8M of which would be next year.

Might be off a little bit.

That said, your breakdown of our alternatives only further makes the case for Ramsey, imho.
2019 NFL Franchise Tags for CB: $16.022 million & I am sure it will be higher in 2020. I am Doubtful Snead goes this route when he has other options. The cost of signing Marcus Peters will be ultra high. Certainly Peters will get a contract above that of Xavien Howard closer to over 16 mil a year.

*2019 Xavien Howard signed a 5 year, $75.3 mil contract with the Miami Dolphins, including a $7 mil signing bonus, $39.3 mil guaranteed, & annual salary over $15 mil

*2018 Trumaine Johnson signed a 5 year, $72.5 mil contract with the New York Jets, including a $20 mil signing bonus, $45mil guaranteed, annual salary of $14.5 mil.

*2017 Desmond Trufant signed a 5 year, $68.8 mil contract with the Atlanta Falcons, including a $15 mil signing bonus, $41 mil guaranteed, annual salary of $13.8 mil.

*2017 Xavier Rhodes signed a 5 year, $70.1 mil. contract with the Minnesota Vikings, including a $12mil signing bonus, $32.8 mil guaranteed, annual salary of over $14 mil.

IMO Marcus Peters will cost approx $25.2 million for the 2019 & 2020 seasons. Jalen Ramsey ext. cost for 2019 & 2020 seasons would be #16.4 million. So yes JR would cost less than Peters by approx $9 million.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Jalen Ramsey trade buzz: Chiefs, Eagles, Seahawks among early favorites to land star corner

Jalen Ramsey is set to play for the Jacksonville Jaguars on Thursday night, but that's not necessarily because the All-Pro cornerback doesn't have a trade market.

A day after Ramsey all but admitted to local media that he'd like to be dealt elsewhere, legitimizing reports from earlier in the week indicating the outspoken Pro Bowler had officially requested a trade, CBS Sports NFLinsider Jason La Canfora said Wednesday at least three different teams are considered early favorites to acquire the former first-round draft pick.

"The sense that I'm getting from GMs and personnel directors is Kansas City Chiefs, Seattle Seahawks, Philadelphia Eagles," La Canfora told Adam Schein on CBS Sports Network. "These are three teams you hear the most about. Seattle, Philadelphia, they've been as proactive in making trades in this league across the board as anybody. And both were in, at least to some degree, on Minkah Fitzpatrick."

View: https://twitter.com/cbssportsnet/status/1174450822542962688?s=21

All three teams have been speculated as potential destinations for Ramsey, who's earned two Pro Bowl nods in his three NFL seasons. Seattle is no stranger to big-name trades, having acquired pass rusher Jadeveon Clowneyfrom the Houston Texans just recently. Philadelphia has a bevy of young corners it might be able to offer for Ramsey in addition to draft capital, and personnel chief Howie Roseman is famous for exploring trades. Kansas City, meanwhile, has a persisting need for defensive help and would presumably give Ramsey an immediate chance at contending for a Super Bowl.

Regardless of which team actually steps up to make an offer for Ramsey, La Canfora said that he doesn't expect the corner to be a Jaguar by the end of the year.

"There's one true deadline: It's Week 9, OK," he said. "It's the Tuesday after Week 8 -- the trade deadline. I do not believe he will be on that roster by then. He may not be on that roster by the time they play Week 4, but I don't know about (this) Friday."

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Fuck yes. Go get him. Talib and Peters likely walk this off-season. Give Ramsey the money that Peters would have gotten. Ramsey is a much better player and half the headache. The guy is arguably the best CB in the NFL when he's locked in mentally. And he can play anywhere on the field. I'm talking boundary, field, slot, or even safety. He's a fucking eraser.

Agreed. I tend to think a lot was said about Peters when we got him and we've not had one single issue since he arrived. Put Ramsey on a winning team and culture and I bet the same happens..

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Talent it's a no doubt. Contract though is an issue, we'd absolutely have to trade Peters back, which may appeal to Jax because they need to replace him.

You know for all the INT's Peters had before he got here it's been surprisingly non existent since he arrived. But I would think you're right, have to give up talent to get it.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You know for all the INT's Peters had before he got here it's been surprisingly non existent since he arrived. But I would think you're right, have to give up talent to get it.
And not just send talent back but dump payroll.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Jaguars intend to keep Jalen Ramsey after passing on offer of two first-round picks during ongoing trade saga

Jalen Ramsey's future with the Jaguars remains murky after an unusual week in which he was absent from the team at various points for three different reasons.

Both the Pro Bowl cornerback and the team are drawing scrutiny around the industry for how this messy contractual and potential trade situation has transpired, with other teams unsure of how or when it gets resolved. Numerous clubs remain very interested in Ramsey, sources said, who requested a trade earlier this month, and whom the Jaguars engaged in trade talks about before sending signals that they now intend to keep him. The Jaguars could have had two first-round picks from one club, according to a league source, but believed those selections would end up too close to 32nd overall for their liking.

Ramsey has made no secret of his desire to be traded and, sources said, has continued to tell associates that he has no desire to sign an extension with the Jaguars. He missed the start of the week due to illness and then was listed as being out with a back injury; sources said his initial absence irked team officials, who believed it a naive attempt to facilitate a trade. Later in the week he was excused by the team to be present for the birth of a child, and the events, in total, have left rival general managers believing a trade by the late October deadline is still possible.

Ramsey's words and actions – including a sideline outburst with coach Doug Marrone and subsequent raucous media session – have caused some interested teams to rethink their position, and drawn criticism in front office circles while also possibly lowering the amount of trade compensation he could command. There are questions as to why he did not hold out from training camp to try to force a resolution of the situation before the season, and concerns about what lengths he may try to go to in future weeks to attempt to force his way out.

Given Ramsey's volatility in the past, however, and well-known desire to be paid prior to the 2019 season, the Jaguars are also being critiqued by their peers for letting things reach this stage in-season. Trade calls have come in for Ramsey since last season.

Ramsey's displeasure with his contract and the front office were established around the league. There was an expectation that more problems would arise between him and the Jaguars after the front office did not entertain an extension.

"I don't like the way he is handling it," one personnel executive said of Ramsey, "but are you surprised by it?"

Furthermore, considering trading Ramsey in-season, and then quickly trying to move on from that notion, was always going to be problematic as well. In the player's mind, he was moving closer than ever to getting out, and pulling that away only heightens tensions.

"You have to trade him," said a high-ranking official from another club. "It will get worse and there will be something new with him every week. He doesn't see a future there (in Jacksonville), and he's already shown he's willing to rock the boat to get out. At some point it becomes more trouble than it's worth."

Another league source who has been in contact with the Jaguars cautioned not to underestimate owner Shad Khan's resolve to stand firm and not "reward" Ramsey with a trade. But he too anticipated there to be more drama between the player and the franchise with the fallout already quite public.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
That highlighted portion almost screams either Rams or Pats.

It's probably the Pats as they tend to not really participate much in the first round and stockpile picks, anyway.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me if it was our Rams. We traded a 1st rounder for Cooks and that's totally worked out.

And honestly, I'd gladly trade two bottom of the round 1sts for Ramsey.

Something tells me this isn't over.

We didn't get Cooks on the first try, either...

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

It's probably the Pats as they tend to not really participate much in the first round and stockpile picks, anyway.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me if it was our Rams. We traded a 1st rounder for Cooks and that's totally worked out.

I do not think the Rams made that offer. However, Rams will need two new starting outside CB's in 2020. Both of ours will be UFA's.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Wouldn't surprise me if the Rams were in on the conversation either, given his fit for the defense and being a plug & play upgrade over Peters. They're going to have to draft CB anyway this offseason. I think for them it's just about vetting his behaviors.

What does surprise me is Seattle. Their scheme allows for the bigger type CBs who can press and doesn't really require a cover guy of his caliber, however I suppose it's possible they go that route due to the division at large. Either way I seriously doubt they'll emerge as the team for him. Eagles would be the "favorite" if I had to name one just based off scheme and aggressiveness of the front office.

ramsplaya16

The One and Only
Unrelated but after the Dolphins trading Minkah these are their upcoming picks

View: https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1173782629944049664

After looking at that, and living here in south florida got me thinking.

Let’s say the dolphins do draft Tua, and in 2021 end up with the #1 pick again.

If I was running them I would be inclined to take Lawrence(provided he continues to play and project as a #1 pick) and hold him for a Kings ransom, or force another team to trade up to get him

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
My money is on the Chef's making that offer. Could have been us but we aren't bleeding on defense like they are.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
After looking at that, and living here in south florida got me thinking.

Let’s say the dolphins do draft Tua, and in 2021 end up with the #1 pick again.

If I was running them I would be inclined to take Lawrence(provided he continues to play and project as a #1 pick) and hold him for a Kings ransom, or force another team to trade up to get him
That's a sure fire way to fail as an organization IMO. If you take Tua #1 overall you trade the following #1 overall for another ransom of picks and keep surrounding Tua with even more talent. Or you pass on Tua, which they'll get destroyed in the media and from their fans if they do, you take Lawrence the next year. Taking a QB #1 overall then giving up on him after a year makes you the Cardinals.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
The way the Rams treat first round picks with this FO I would not doubt it was us.