Should we go after Ramsey?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
Man, McVay is seemingly good at dealing with the personalities. But this guy? I don't like the idea. Add to that, we can't afford him.

FILED UNDER:
Should the Los Angeles Rams explore a trade for Jacksonville Jaguars CB Jalen Ramsey?
The disgruntled superstar has requested a trade!
By Sosa Kremenjas@QBsMVP Sep 16, 2019, 5:42pm CDT
Share this story
Kansas City Chiefs v Jacksonville Jaguars
Photo by Sam Greenwood/Getty Images
Superstar cornerback Jalen Ramsey of the Jacksonville Jaguars has requested a trade after Sunday’s game versus the Houston Texans:

Ian Rapoport

@RapSheet

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1173721853308878848

Sources: #Jaguars Pro Bowl CB Jalen Ramsey has requested a trade from the team. This stems from his frustration with how he’s being used and from a confrontation with coach Doug Marrone on Sunday. This has been steadily building.

3:14 PM - Sep 16, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy

5,190 people are talking about this

Adam Schefter reports the Jaguars are seeking at least a first-round draft pick in compensation, as expected:

Adam Schefter

@AdamSchefter

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1173724826474831872

The Jaguars are asking teams for at least one first-round pick in return for Pro Bowl CB Jalen Ramsey, but want more than that in return, per sources.

3:26 PM - Sep 16, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy

1,745 people are talking about this

Now we get to the scenario, does it make sense for the Los Angeles Rams to target the 24-year-old two-time pro bowler?
Ramsey is an eccentric player who often crosses lines between the field by way of physical altercations and whatnot, though his play needs no vouching. Ramsey is arguably the best cornerback in football and has been in the discussion for years now.
Per Ian Rapaport, Ramsey has requested a trade to a team that will allow him to travel with top receivers and play more man-to-man coverage:

1,069 people are talking about this

These might pose an issue as the Rams do like to deploy plenty of zone coverage and don’t flip cornerbacks, though Ramsey is worth adjusting for, particularly because players of his caliber allow you to play more man coverage with less fear of getting toasted.
The Rams are stacked in the secondary, meaning they won’t be desperate to add any more talent to the room, though both starting cornerbacks Aqib Talib and Marcus Peters are in contract years.
Ramsey will account for roughly $7m in cap space in 2019 and $13m in 2020 as he’s still playing on his rookie contract. The Rams currently have just a touch over $2m in cap space per Over The Cap, meaning they’d need to do a bit of dancing around to make it work, though they’ve shown a propensity to part with picks to gather talent.
Could the Rams pull the trigger for Jalen Ramsey?

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I get the allure but I don't believe we are in a position to make this investment at this time.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Last edited:

oldnotdead

Legend
No this team doesn't need divas. You can get both Roby and Darby for the price of one Ramsey and that would give the Rams two shutdown boundary CBs.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fuck yes. Go get him. Talib and Peters likely walk this off-season. Give Ramsey the money that Peters would have gotten. Ramsey is a much better player and half the headache. The guy is arguably the best CB in the NFL when he's locked in mentally. And he can play anywhere on the field. I'm talking boundary, field, slot, or even safety. He's a fucking eraser.

janthony6

UDFA
Ramsey - get him. Talib is probably leaving this offseason. We could keep Peters with Ramsey and have a really legit defense for many years to come.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Fucking hell yes, we should get him! Like @jrry32 said, he's the best cornerback in the NFL when he's into the game. And with Talib and Peters likely going to other teams, we could use a corner opposite Long.

Psycho_X

Legend
Peters prefers zone and Wade had to adjust defense last year because he was getting burned in man to put him in more zone. Ramsey prefers man and jaguars are forcing him to play zone. Sounds like a good swap as far as fit for both teams. Salary cap would need figured out. But would certainly be an improvement as far as giving Wade the tools he prefers I think.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Whatever it takes to get a HOF talent like this you do.. These type of players should never be available. 1st rounder + I'd be okay with.

Rainram

Starter
Ramsey >>> Peters

I’ll give them Peters and two 2’s right now.

Or Peters and a 1st and 3rd if they give us their 2nd and 3rd

Peters would leave them in the off-season and they’d get a 3rd or 4th comp pick for him too.

Don’t really care how’s you slice it, there’s room to work it.

We’ll need CB help in the offseason as it stands. Ramsey solves that and would be an upgrade this year as well.

Imagine a defense with Aaron Donald up front and Ramsey in the back end.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Not sure how his contract shakes out but pull off a trade for Peters and some other transactions and hell yes.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I agree with all the talent comments. But man... he is a ticking time bomb. You think a guy like him will buy into our culture? Sure hope y'all are right.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I agree with all the talent comments. But man... he is a ticking time bomb. You think a guy like him will buy into our culture? Sure hope y'all are right.
A few years ago? Train wreck. Now? If Peters is ok, I think Ramsey is fine here.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Talent it's a no doubt. Contract though is an issue, we'd absolutely have to trade Peters back, which may appeal to Jax because they need to replace him.

KayJay

Starter
Fuck yes. Go get him. Talib and Peters likely walk this off-season. Give Ramsey the money that Peters would have gotten. Ramsey is a much better player and half the headache. The guy is arguably the best CB in the NFL when he's locked in mentally. And he can play anywhere on the field. I'm talking boundary, field, slot, or even safety. He's a fucking eraser.
When I first came in here, I was going to say hell no. But after reading this, I think we should. Peters has been kind of average, not exactly exceptional. Ramsey has all the dog in him, without the head scratching plays and flags Peters attracts. Good post jrry, you changed my mind instantly.