Report: Rams unlikely to ink tagged Joyner ahead of deadline

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Bill-Murray-Caddyshack-Carl-Spackler-In-the-Hole.jpg

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Johnson is slow as freak. I don't think he has the speed to cover deep.

I didn't realize he ran a 4.61 at the combine, compared to Joyner's 4.55. Neither is a speed demon. But weren't you surprised when JJ started all year as a rookie? The kid obviously has talent, and should be even better this year. And I really didn't think he would be considered a strong safety at his size. JMHO.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
5 years $70 million with $33 million guaranteed

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
.........you guys need to wrap your mind around this.........guys want to go to the open market. GM's and teams OVERPAY there.

Imagine if you could go to a new job for WAY more money. Or if you could get fired from your current job for someone who makes half what you do.

This is the stupid fucking CBA that the idiot who is the head of the players union put together and sold to his members.

Stop blaming the teams and players and agents..........this shit stems directly from the CBA and the players union's shit leadership.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is the stupid freaking CBA that the idiot who is the head of the players union put together and sold to his members.

Well, it's the salary cap - that the owners insisted upon and that the NFLPA was not strong enough to prevent.

If the owners are dissa9 tisfied with it, the players I'm sure would be happy to have a cap free league.

Not going to happen.

How about this though? If player movement is a problem, then have resigning free agents count less against the cap? Say if you resign a player for $10 million, he only counts $9 million? That way players will tend to stay with the same team, unless another team values them a lot more. If the base cap stays the same, the NFLPA would support it. If player movement actually hurts teams and their revenue, owners will support it.

I doubt this would go through though, since it would increase the percentage of revenue going to players, and the owners have been reducing that for years.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I didn't realize he ran a 4.61 at the combine, compared to Joyner's 4.55. Neither is a speed demon. But weren't you surprised when JJ started all year as a rookie? The kid obviously has talent, and should be even better this year. And I really didn't think he would be considered a strong safety at his size. JMHO.
I love Johnson, don't get it twisted. I think he will have a great career. He's just not very fast lol

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Sorry you are wrong.

This was a bad deal that the players union not only agreed to, they put it forth. They thought it was a good idea.

Well, it's the salary cap - that the owners insisted upon and that the NFLPA was not strong enough to prevent.

Yup.....and DSmith put that deal in place.

dang

Legend
Joyner then Donald then Gurley then Goff....oh my!!! Something has got to give and we will see soon with how the Rams handle Donald. At the very least the Rams can continue to ride out 1st round draft picks thru the 4 years + 5th year option + 1 year of franchise tagging.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sorry you are wrong.

This was a bad deal that the players union not only agreed to, they put it forth. They thought it was a good idea.

Yup.....and DSmith put that deal in place.

Actually, you're wrong. The players were locked out in 2011. After trying to prevent that, the NFLPA decertified. After many months, the owners had their way, with a "compromise" that significantly reduced players pay. Since the owners won the labor action (NOT a strike, but a lockout) to blame the NFLPA for long term consequences is ridiculous, and shows a weird bias. The one thing the players "won" was a cap in draftee pay - something the owners were also insisting upon.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Actually, you're wrong. The players were locked out in 2011. After trying to prevent that, the NFLPA decertified. After many months, the owners had their way, with a "compromise" that significantly reduced players pay. Since the owners won the labor action (NOT a strike, but a lockout) to blame the NFLPA for long term consequences is ridiculous, and shows a weird bias. The one thing the players "won" was a cap in draftee pay - something the owners were also insisting upon.
There were several questionable decisions that led to the lockout too though IIRC. Both sides are responsible for a bad CBA imo.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There were several questionable decisions that led to the lockout too though IIRC. Both sides are responsible for a bad CBA imo.

I'm sure mistakes were made on both sides. However, the biggest driving force of the lockout was the owners wanting a very large reduction in the percentage of revenue the players got, despite skyrocketing team values - prima facie evidence that the players percentage was not hurting the league - not like the NHL salaries which were bankrupting teams.

BTW - what makes you think the CBA is bad? I'm dubious that the Rams' issues with resigning good players is something the owners or the players mind. Is it reducing league revenues?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm sure mistakes were made on both sides. However, the biggest driving force of the lockout was the owners wanting a very large reduction in the percentage of revenue the players got, despite skyrocketing team values - prima facie evidence that the players percentage was not hurting the league - not like the NHL salaries which were bankrupting teams.

BTW - what makes you think the CBA is bad? I'm dubious that the Rams' issues with resigning good players is something the owners or the players mind. Is it reducing league revenues?
Neither side is happy with it and the fans are affected by it. League revenues are and will continue to rise regardless of the CBA that's all revenue driven and the TV deals are through the roof.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Exactly, What we as Rams fans see as a problem is not a problem for the league. Smart drafting teams don't stay perpetually good. Profits stay high.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
The contract impasse that freaks me out the most right now is Cooks.

Joyner? I’ve made my peace with him being a Ram one last year.

AD? He has no leverage. Either he signs a “reasonable” 21M per year extension, or he gets tagged next year.

Gurley, Goff, and Peters? I’ll wait til 2019 to worry.

But Cooks is a big issue NOW. He hasn’t played a down yet, but McVay is obviously thrilled he’s here, so I am too.
Losing a first-round pick for a one-year rental would suck. Dying to know... will Cooks sign before the opener, or will we lose him?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The contract impasse that freaks me out the most right now is Cooks.

Joyner? I’ve made my peace with him being a Ram one last year.

AD? He has no leverage. Either he signs a “reasonable” 21M per year extension, or he gets tagged next year.

Gurley, Goff, and Peters? I’ll wait til 2019 to worry.

But Cooks is a big issue NOW. He hasn’t played a down yet, but McVay is obviously thrilled he’s here, so I am too.
Losing a first-round pick for a one-year rental would suck. Dying to know... will Cooks sign before the opener, or will we lose him?

I'm feeling the same right now.

It's Cooks that gives me a tad more anxiety.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
I still think Barron replaces Joyner, and Kiser slides in next to Littleton.
And safety to me is more about awareness, tackling and angles, not about speed.