Report: Rams unlikely to ink tagged Joyner ahead of deadline

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I still think Barron replaces Joyner, and Kiser slides in next to Littleton.
And safety to me is more about awareness, tackling and angles, not about speed.
Couple problems I have with that. Barron wasn’t a good safety unless he was a box safety, which is more Johnson’s role and he’s good there so far and cheap. Also Barron is only signed through 2020 with the last year having a big roster bonus making him a possible cut. Then with this plan we downgrade our secondary and are doing this all over again in a couple years.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

IMO it's a pretty decent deal for the owners.

The one thing the players "won" was a cap in draftee pay - something the owners were also insisting upon.

And that has come back to haunt the players big time. Now teams will stick with drafted players because they are cheaper. The thought behind that was that free agents would cash in but what has happened is that players get cut before big paydays come up and often take a lower amount as a free agent while the team that cut him has a rookie deal player in his place.

There were several questionable decisions that led to the lockout too though IIRC. Both sides are responsible for a bad CBA imo.

I think there will be another lockout or strike myself.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
.........you guys need to wrap your mind around this.........guys want to go to the open market. GM's and teams OVERPAY there.

Imagine if you could go to a new job for WAY more money. Or if you could get fired from your current job for someone who makes half what you do.

This is the stupid freaking CBA that the idiot who is the head of the players union put together and sold to his members.

Stop blaming the teams and players and agents..........this crap stems directly from the CBA and the players union's crap leadership.

This is how the real world works.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Couple problems I have with that. Barron wasn’t a good safety unless he was a box safety, which is more Johnson’s role and he’s good there so far and cheap. Also Barron is only signed through 2020 with the last year having a big roster bonus making him a possible cut. Then with this plan we downgrade our secondary and are doing this all over again in a couple years.

Agree he's probably more of a box safety, (when did you see him play free safety), but think you may be selling Johnson a little short. Plus we get 2019 to evaluate Barron, and I don't see anyone offering him a huge contract in 2020. Also, don't know how much of a downgrade it is, if any.

Love Joyner, but he's only had one good year at safety, and we don't know how much is him, and how much is Phillips' (scheme).

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The issue is, we seem to not be able to sign anyone - at least right now - and that is troubling.

Agreed. Been saying this for a while now, and the reaction is usually that I'm being negative to even say it. But it's the truth. The only guy they have inked that at the time was considered to be a key piece was Ogletree, who ended up being traded shortly thereafter.

Rams hit a home run with McVay's hiring and the fact he brought Wade with him and hired a great staff. They seem to have also hit a triple at least in keeping Les around at GM, too. But even before Les went out and added pieces like Cooks, Peters, etc, the truth was that Kevin Demoff was up to bat. And guess what? He still is. Standing there at the plate, bases loaded, taking strikes down the middle.

It's not like I think Demoff isn't up for the job. It's just that I'm at the show-me stage right now. Sign somebody Kevin. Somebody who is a key piece. Get it done ffs.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agreed. Been saying this for a while now, and the reaction is usually that I'm being negative to even say it. But it's the truth. The only guy they have inked that at the time was considered to be a key piece was Ogletree, who ended up being traded shortly thereafter.

Rams hit a home run with McVay's hiring and the fact he brought Wade with him and hired a great staff. They seem to have also hit a triple at least in keeping Les around at GM, too. But even before Les went out and added pieces like Cooks, Peters, etc, the truth was that Kevin Demoff was up to bat. And guess what? He still is. Standing there at the plate, bases loaded, taking strikes down the middle.

It's not like I think Demoff isn't up for the job. It's just that I'm at the show-me stage right now. Sign somebody Kevin. Somebody who is a key piece. Get it done ffs.
I’m still waiting the this laundry list of guys we didn’t sign that went on to play good and make us regret not signing them. Only name I’ve heard so far was Jenkins and that was one good and one bad season.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Thank you. I agree completely.

I'm honestly not even 100% all in that we SHOULD re-sign Joyner (assuming he wants top dollar).

But we all know AD SHOULD get top dollar and while he may be playing cat and mouse with Mack, this is rather bleak:

Donald - not re-signed, holding out at least for now for second year in a row

Joyner - will probably leave next year

Cooks - traded for him, should sign him, but he can easily command $16-$18 million from us as he has us over the barrel a little after trading a first for him

Gurley - Lev Bell apparently hitting free agency next year, where he will SURELY get his $17-$20 million, is a bonafide disaster for a team that has a player just as good as Bell and maybe even better.

Peters - will want at least $16 million

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nice to see that first domino fall. Big news for us and it feels great.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Donald - not re-signed, holding out at least for now for second year in a row

Joyner - will probably leave next year

Gurley - Lev Bell apparently hitting free agency next year, where he will SURELY get his $17-$20 million, is a bonafide disaster for a team that has a player just as good as Bell and maybe even better.

Peters - will want at least $16 million

Yeah I agree Joyner's gonna be the odd man out. Same with Peters too, btw. I expect Peters to behave for the first year and everything will be all unicorns and rainbows, but by the time he's been with us for two years it will come down to how they feel about his maturity because that's a lot of cheddar for a guy who has worn out his welcome everywhere. I actually hope the dude matures and it works out, but right now I consider him a two year answer at CB.

And don't forget Talib, who is on a two year deal as well, and the question of how long he'll be able to play makes him uncertain too.

But for now it just feels really good to see KD scratch a name off that list.

jjab360

Legend
I'm fine with this. If it came down to between Joyner and Peters, I think a shutdown CB would be harder to replace in this defense. If we could somehow find another John Johnson we would be set at safety, though.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And that has come back to haunt the players big time. Now teams will stick with drafted players because they are cheaper. The thought behind that was that free agents would cash in but what has happened is that players get cut before big paydays come up and often take a lower amount as a free agent while the team that cut him has a rookie deal player in his place.

that really only had an effect on the 1st round picks. the 2nd to 7th round salaries pretty much stayed the same didn't they?

this 5th year option for 1st rounders is so bad. the union really screwed the rookies. we've seen it year after year now. the teams get to keep the great players at half or even a third of the price of their real worth. after having them for 4 years at bargain basement prices. it irritates the fuck out of me for some reason.

nighttrain

Legend
I'm fine with this. If it came down to between Joyner and Peters, I think a shutdown CB would be harder to replace in this defense. If we could somehow find another John Johnson we would be set at safety, though.
Reserves Troy Hill and Kevin Peterson might possibly fill in at saftey
train

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I’m still waiting the this laundry list of guys we didn’t sign that went on to play good and make us regret not signing them. Only name I’ve heard so far was Jenkins and that was one good and one bad season.
I wouldn't have re-signed Jenkins either.

Have a very short list of players I wish we had kept;
Richie Incognito, I just would have made him a second stringer until he figured it out.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
that really only had an effect on the 1st round picks. the 2nd to 7th round salaries pretty much stayed the same didn't they?

this 5th year option for 1st rounders is so bad. the union really screwed the rookies. we've seen it year after year now. the teams get to keep the great players at half or even a third of the price of their real worth. after having them for 4 years at bargain basement prices. it irritates the freak out of me for some reason.

I don't know, but the 1st round is enough to make a HUGE difference.

The 5th year option.........another DSmith fail for his guys.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams' Nate Holley earns highest PFF grade of any safety in preseason Week 2
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2018/08/21/nfl-rams-nate-holley-preseason-week-2-pff-grade/

By: Cameron DaSilva

The Los Angeles Rams put together an ugly performance offensively against the Oakland Raiders this weekend, scoring just one touchdown and 19 total points. The defense, however, stepped up in a big way by limiting the Raiders to just 15 points.

Arguably the best performance on that side of the ball came from unheralded safety Nate Holley, who signed with the Rams this offseason. Holley had three tackles and two passes defensed, nearly coming away with an interception for the second straight week. His performance was good enough to earn him a spot on Pro Football Focus’ Team of the Week with an overall grade of 90.5 – the highest of any safety in the NFL last week.

Holley played 26 snaps in the Rams’ win over the Raiders including 15 snaps in coverage. From those 15 snaps, he was the primary coverage defender on two passes, and broke both of them up. Undrafted in 2017, Holley made a solid case for a long look at a roster spot with his performance on Saturday afternoon.

Holley was the only Rams player to make the team on either side of the ball, but it was a well-deserved honor. He was great in coverage and flying to the football, making several plays against the Raiders.

He still has an uphill climb toward earning a roster spot, but this performance will certainly help his chances, especially if he can contribute on special teams, too.