Report: Rams unlikely to ink tagged Joyner ahead of deadline

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

…..

Legend
So here is a thread about Joyner and y oh decide to refocus it on another doom and gloom thread about Donald? Really? The Rams aren't trying to trade Donald, but a lot of you here sure are. But why bring it up in the first place.
THIS THREAD IS ABOUT JOYNER!
Take a deep breath.....Wasn't even as egregious as you make it out to be.

As far as Joyner goes, we'll probably do best if we receive a comp pick. We can't sign everyone, keep everyone. One thing we've shown very well lately is a positive success rate when drafting and developing safeties.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Take a deep breath.....Wasn't even as egregious as you make it out to be.

As far as Joyner goes, we'll probably do best if we receive a comp pick. We can't sign everyone, keep everyone. One thing we've shown very well lately is a positive success rate when drafting and developing safeties.
I have a Aaron Donald hijacked thread phobia. Currently seeking professional help.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
As much as I like Joyner, mover Johnson to free safety and draft another strong safety. If you Rams don't use traditional FS/SS's anymore, just draft another safety.
Johnson is slow as fuck. I don't think he has the speed to cover deep.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Johnson is slow as freak. I don't think he has the speed to cover deep.
Yeah leave JJ there and let the young FS’s we have in camp battle it out. Maybe even draft one in the mid to late rounds next year.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If we ended up signing everyone else, or even AD, Gurley, Cooks and Goff eventually - this news wouldn't be troubling.

The issue is, we seem to not be able to sign anyone - at least right now - and that is troubling.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If we ended up signing everyone else, or even AD, Gurley, Cooks and Goff eventually - this news wouldn't be troubling.

The issue is, we seem to not be able to sign anyone - at least right now - and that is troubling.
Honest question here, who have we not signed that we didn’t end up equally replacing or upgrading? Only one that even comes close was Jenkins. He was average for the Giants the first two years and this year we’ve upgraded from him and TruJo. I honestly can’t remember a free agent we lost that couldn’t be replaced. I can think of a guy we resigned in Saffold that as a great keep.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Honest question here, who have we not signed that we didn’t end up equally replacing or upgrading? Only one that even comes close was Jenkins. He was average for the Giants the first two years and this year we’ve upgraded from him and TruJo. I honestly can’t remember a free agent we lost that couldn’t be replaced. I can think of a guy we resigned in Saffold that as a great keep.

I agree with most everything you have said here but it is worth mentioning that the only reason we were able to retain Saffold is because the Raiders medical staff failed his physical. Also, JJ was much better than average his first year in NY. That whole team was a disaster last year. So long as he stay clear of any charges in that whole body found in his home issue I think he will return to form this season.

Ram65

Legend
The rams must read the market. If they didn't tag him they could have signed him much cheaper. Now he would be a fool to sign. He is making twice the going rate for safteys.

It was an off free agency for safeties this year. Eric Reid appearing to be blacklisted. We never know exactly the Rams thinking when it comes to these type of contracts. They messed up on Jenks and Tru contracts IMHO. As far as Joyner's situation the Rams might have been better off doing a deal before last year. Of course they hadn't seen him play at safety so that had to be a consideration.

A five year extension like Harrison Smith got at around 10.250 Million per year seemed like a home team early deal could have been better. I don't think they could have done it at that time with signing Whitworth, Woods, NRC and Sullivan. We don't know if Joyner was ready to sign a deal either. So many teams had so much money that you never know what offers he would have gotten in free agency this year. Joyner will be 28 at the end of Nov. Joyner has missed some games do to injury in the last two seasons. He plays hard and isn't the biggest guy out there.

http://www.nfl.com/player/lamarcusjoyner/2543492/profile

Tyrann Mathieu got 7 Million after a down year. Getting Joyner for 11.287 is similar value. The Rams get a year of Joyner in his prime to form the best secondary in the NFL. Seems like the stars weren't aligned for the Rams to keep Joyner long term. Hope he stays healthy this year and continues to make plays.

https://overthecap.com/position/safety/

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Will probably move on from Joyner just to keep Donald, Peters, Cooks, Goff, and maybe Gurley in our payroll. It's a shame cause I like Joyner but his free safety skills are replaceable if we keep Donald and Peters

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree with most everything you have said here but it is worth mentioning that the only reason we were able to retain Saffold is because the Raiders medical staff failed his physical. Also, JJ was much better than average his first year in NY. That whole team was a disaster last year. So long as he stay clear of any charges in that whole body found in his home issue I think he will return to form this season.
Fair enough but did we really miss JJ? Two years he's been gone and the Rams have been the same as the Giants for the most part. One year the whole team was hot garbage and the other year even with him being good our secondary was excellent last year. Having Peters, Talib and NRC I don't think we'll miss JJ at all. He's capable of being good but we have a damned good secondary.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Edit. Forgot about Peters.

I would say that the Rams' priority of retaining long term the good players looks something like this....

1. Goff
2. Donald
3. Gurley
4. Peters
5. Cooks
6. Suh
7. Joyner

...and we'll more than likely only end up keeping two of those guys. Three if we're lucky.
Goff and either Donald, Peters or Gurley.
JMO

Last edited:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Come on man...
giphy.gif
:)

TexasRam

Legend
breaking-news.gif

This just in from FOX Headquarters!!!

The NFL is now enforcing a salary cap and the Los Angeles Rams will NOT be able to Sign all the best players anymore!

This includes but is not limited to the resigning of current players!

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck

Evidently you do not understand how the game is played by either side.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
The NFL is now enforcing a salary cap and the Los Angeles Rams will NOT be able to Sign all the best players anymore!

This includes but is not limited to the resigning of current players!
That's why I keep pointing out to people that the next big thing is talented Scouts.
They can save you SO much money in the long run.

Also Position Coaches that can fix problems in badly coached college players and get college players coached up into a offense or defense quickly.

Rainram

Starter
Edit. Forgot about Peters.

I would say that the Rams' priority of retaining long term the good players looks something like this....

1. Goff
2. Donald
3. Gurley
4. Peters
5. Cooks
6. Suh
7. Joyner

...and we'll more than likely only end up keeping two of those guys. Three if we're lucky.
Goff and either Donald, Peters or Gurley.
JMO

Everyone give us your best Demoff-gif when he looks at this list.

I’ll start...

upload_2018-7-16_17-14-41.gif