Rank the Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

How well do you think the Rams Drafted

• A-They nailed it. Team needs were met across the board

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • B- They got the guys they wanted. The team is better

Votes: 23 28.0%
  • C-They missed on some picks and got a few gems

Votes: 34 41.5%
  • D-They got their guy but completely ignored O-line needs

Votes: 11 13.4%
  • F-Total disaster. Even CGI would have got 1 pick right

Votes: 8 9.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Obviously this is about the initial feel of the draft. We won’t know for a few years.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Voted C

Not a fan of the first 2 picks and the rest are guys with high upside but either have injury issues or need coaching up. I always say though after fantasy drafts if it's a draft I don't like it turns out good and if I do like it then it'll turn out bad.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I give it a "C".

We grabbed some players with intriguing upside, but ultimately, it seems they reached a bit on a few players while simultaneously using prime picks on positions that were already comparatively strong for this roster (WR) while completely ignoring positions of need (OL).

Even if you buy the narrative that the players we have in-house on the OL are good enough, which is certainly up for debate, this OL draft class was supposedly very deep. So if we are/were drafting for the future more so than this coming season, as some suggest, why not grab some to develop? Whitworth is getting older and a bunch of our young guys will need new contracts soon.

I am really not a fan of the Tutu pick, at least that draft position. But otherwise, I don't find myself too fussed at the draft seemingly being weak. It's impossible to predict, anyway. Let's see how these young men do! Having said that, after this showing, I don't think it is at all unreasonable to worry if losing Brad Holmes to Detroit might have hurt our drafting prowess. Time will tell.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Our perception of every draft is that there is a lot of good players into round 5. If the article about it being an incredibly shallow draft is true then it’s pretty likely that the only very chance to really hit on a pick may have been rounds 2-3.
With that perspective I think they did well after the first two picks in grabbing some high upside developmental types and special teams players.
With the first two picks I can’t get excited. I just hope they surprise us.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I'm voting B because ultimately it's who the teams want and feel best can help them both now and future.

nighttrain

Legend
i really really like Atwell, he will open up the underneath routes for Cupp & Woods, they will feast
train

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
A- / B+

I what the fucked about 7 times but, after reading more into the players and hearing Snead/McVay talk about it, I absolutely love it.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Every team has their board set up on what they want in a player. It can be quite different from what we want in a player. Some of us think we know better than they do. We won't know for a few years if we really do know better.

dang

Legend
My alternative world scenario:

R.57 Humphrey OC
R3.103 J Cox ILB
R4.117 Atwell WR
R4.130 B Brown DT
R4.141 R Rochelle CB

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Posting from another thread:

Chatarius (I absolutely fucking refuse to call him "Tutu") Atwell: F

(Easily one of the worst picks I've seen McSnead make. I can't imagine him doing well, I'm sorry. And Bolton went right after him. They picked a gadget player at best with the second round pick, likely because they panicked when the Hags took Eskridge. If they wanted a deep threat, Darden was for the taking, and he would've been a better pick at this stage than Atwell (or, hell, pick Bolton and then Darden!). He'll have to do an absolute fuckton to win me over.)

Ernest Jones: C+

(I've admittedly warmed up to him a bit. I still think there were better players, but I'm getting a JJ3 vibe around him, so I can live with it. He's a tackling machine, a good run defender. I have concerns about his overall athleticism and if he's truly a sideline-to-sideline defender.)

Bobby Brown III: A-

(BB3 (since we no longer have a JJ3) could be an absolutely dominant defensive tackle next to Donald. He's a load to deal with in the running game, and if he learns from Donald how to use his hands and gets his conditioning straight, we could be talking about a young Haynesworth.)

Robert Rochell: A-

(Rochell is my favorite pick in this class. He reminds me a lot of Marcus Peters, only without the attitude issues that plagued Peters. He's a ballhawk, always has his hands active without getting grabby, and blankets receivers. He's big and fearless. My only question is if he fills against the run, but if Ramsey mentors him, I can't imagine it as a problem.)

Jacob Harris: B

(This kid could be a steal. Key word: could. I'm glad he got drafted as a tight end, but it's going to take a while for him to bulk up to tight end status. We may not see a payoff until year three. It's a better draft pick in the fourth than, say, a first round pick, but that's still banking on a lot for this kid. He is a sold special teams player, so that helps his grade.)

Earnest Brown IV: C+

(I can get behind this pick. EB4 needs a lot of work with core strength and learning hand usage, and that'll take at least a year or two. I don't know if he'll ever be great, but if we're talking about a solid role player, yeah, I'm sold. Still, I think we could've made a better pick here.)

Jake Funk: D

(I admire their commitment to special teams, but you can't tell me there weren't better running backs on the board, namely Jermar Jefferson, Gerrid Doaks, Kylin Hill, just to mention a few. I can't put too much faith in a running back who has had two ACLs on the same knee. And I absolutely cringe at the name puns. Just...no.)

Ben Skowronek: C

(My favorite of the seventh round picks - which isn't saying much. If he can move to tight end (an H-back), be our answer to Kyle Juszcyzk, I'll be much more on board. Right now, I see someone who's far too slow to make an impact as a wide receiver, someone who could definitely get cut and be picked up, like Clay Johnston was. I'd have honestly picked Sage Surratt, just because of potential; if you're in the seventh round, you can gamble on that kind of stuff.)

Chris Garrett: D-

(Who? Again, who? You can't tell me that this guy is a better edge rusher than Charles Snowden. He's not athletic, not big, and he produced against much lesser competition.)

Overall Grade: C-

(Better players were available, and the Atwell pick, if it doesn't work out (in my opinion, likely), could set us back a year or two.)

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
As much as any of us think we know. They know more. Sometimes they miss, sometimes they hit. But don't kiss yourself into thinking you know better.

They chose the guys they chose for reasons we don't know about.

We are fans. That means we follow no matter what. We don't have to like it. But every year I watch people here that I believe honest to God think that they know better than the guys getting paid millions to do the job. We have some very smart posters. We have guys that know far more than I do about the college athletes. BUT, we have NO ONE that has any damn clue what McVay is looking for.

Will he hit every pick? History tells me no. But I guarantee we got more than one guy we will be excited about come the end of the season.

Have faith. Have hope. And cheer for these new Rams. For they are who you got. They represent what you love.

In McVay I trust!

Also, I can't wait for Lil Tutu to prove the haters wrong...small but mighty.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
For me this is more about grading how they filled perceived needs than grading the picks.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Posting from another thread:

Chatarius (I absolutely fucking refuse to call him "Tutu") Atwell: F

(Easily one of the worst picks I've seen McSnead make. I can't imagine him doing well, I'm sorry. And Bolton went right after him. They picked a gadget player at best with the second round pick, likely because they panicked when the Hags took Eskridge. If they wanted a deep threat, Darden was for the taking, and he would've been a better pick at this stage than Atwell (or, hell, pick Bolton and then Darden!). He'll have to do an absolute fuckton to win me over.)

Ernest Jones: C+

(I've admittedly warmed up to him a bit. I still think there were better players, but I'm getting a JJ3 vibe around him, so I can live with it. He's a tackling machine, a good run defender. I have concerns about his overall athleticism and if he's truly a sideline-to-sideline defender.)

Bobby Brown III: A-

(BB3 (since we no longer have a JJ3) could be an absolutely dominant defensive tackle next to Donald. He's a load to deal with in the running game, and if he learns from Donald how to use his hands and gets his conditioning straight, we could be talking about a young Haynesworth.)

Robert Rochell: A-

(Rochell is my favorite pick in this class. He reminds me a lot of Marcus Peters, only without the attitude issues that plagued Peters. He's a ballhawk, always has his hands active without getting grabby, and blankets receivers. He's big and fearless. My only question is if he fills against the run, but if Ramsey mentors him, I can't imagine it as a problem.)

Jacob Harris: B

(This kid could be a steal. Key word: could. I'm glad he got drafted as a tight end, but it's going to take a while for him to bulk up to tight end status. We may not see a payoff until year three. It's a better draft pick in the fourth than, say, a first round pick, but that's still banking on a lot for this kid. He is a sold special teams player, so that helps his grade.)

Earnest Brown IV: C+

(I can get behind this pick. EB4 needs a lot of work with core strength and learning hand usage, and that'll take at least a year or two. I don't know if he'll ever be great, but if we're talking about a solid role player, yeah, I'm sold. Still, I think we could've made a better pick here.)

Jake Funk: D

(I admire their commitment to special teams, but you can't tell me there weren't better running backs on the board, namely Jermar Jefferson, Gerrid Doaks, Kylin Hill, just to mention a few. I can't put too much faith in a running back who has had two ACLs on the same knee. And I absolutely cringe at the name puns. Just...no.)

Ben Skowronek: C

(My favorite of the seventh round picks - which isn't saying much. If he can move to tight end (an H-back), be our answer to Kyle Juszcyzk, I'll be much more on board. Right now, I see someone who's far too slow to make an impact as a wide receiver, someone who could definitely get cut and be picked up, like Clay Johnston was. I'd have honestly picked Sage Surratt, just because of potential; if you're in the seventh round, you can gamble on that kind of stuff.)

Chris Garrett: D-

(Who? Again, who? You can't tell me that this guy is a better edge rusher than Charles Snowden. He's not athletic, not big, and he produced against much lesser competition.)

Overall Grade: C-

(Better players were available, and the Atwell pick, if it doesn't work out (in my opinion, likely), could set us back a year or two.)
Garrett had like 35 sacks in 28 games. Yea it was D2. But those are the number you would expect from a D2 guy to make the NFL. I got my eye on him. He may be a sleeper for us I think.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
While some of the picks are intriguing, I'm really disappointed that the ignored the OL, even if they wouldn't have got and first-year starters. We have a lot of potential FA's coming up, and Whitworth, while he's defied Father Time so far, in the end we know who's going to win that battle. This would have been a good draft to prepare for the future at that position group, and they didn't.

Last edited:

Tano

Legend
I give it a "C".

We grabbed some players with intriguing upside, but ultimately, it seems they reached a bit on a few players while simultaneously using prime picks on positions that were already comparatively strong for this roster (WR) while completely ignoring positions of need (OL).

Even if you buy the narrative that the players we have in-house on the OL are good enough, which is certainly up for debate, this OL draft class was supposedly very deep. So if we are/were drafting for the future more so than this coming season, as some suggest, why not grab some to develop? Whitworth is getting older and a bunch of our young guys will need new contracts soon.

I am really not a fan of the Tutu pick, at least that draft position. But otherwise, I don't find myself too fussed at the draft seemingly being weak. It's impossible to predict, anyway. Let's see how these young men do! Having said that, after this showing, I don't think it is at all unreasonable to worry if losing Brad Holmes to Detroit might have hurt our drafting prowess. Time will tell.
I completely agree with this assessment. Good post.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
For me this is more about grading how they filled perceived needs than grading the picks.

That's how I'm trying to look at it. We all think the Oline needed help. But I guess they didn't idk. I was upset at the Tutu pick. But, if he was 25 lbs heavier and 2 inches taller, he would have not been there for us. So, I'm just stepping back and gonna see what happens.