Rams Top Free Agent Targets?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Ranking the NFL's Top 2020 Free Agents at Every Position

View: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2870032-ranking-the-nfls-top-2020-free-agents-at-every-position#slide0

1. Cory Littleton
Cory Littleton has the exact skill set of a modern-day linebacker. At 6'3", 228 pounds, he's not a big thumper. Former Los Angeles Rams defensive coordinator Wade Phillips trusted the fourth-year pro in coverage, blitzes and on early downs against the run, and the Washington product didn't disappoint anywhere.

In 2018, he claimed a starting role and earned Pro Bowl honors, logging 125 tackles, nine for loss, four sacks, 13 pass breakups and three interceptions. The 26-year-old didn't receive a nod for the January All-Star game this year, though his numbers remained relatively consistent across the board. He'll be rewarded on the market if the Rams allow him to walk.

3. Dante Fowler Jr.
Coming off his best campaign, Dante Fowler Jr. should be in line for a lucrative deal close to $20 million annually. He etched his name in the double-digit sack club with 11.5 in 2019. As Pierre-Paul continues to play on the older side of 30 years old, the Rams edge-rusher reaches toward his peak, heading into his sixth season.

This year, Fowler flashed a little more to his game, tallying the second-most tackles for loss (16) on the team behind Aaron Donald. Now that he's shown the quickness to take down ball-carriers for a loss, teams may start to view him as a complete player off the edge.

I think that IF Dante Fowler Jr is able to get a contract for $20 Million a yr ...Snead is sure to be in line for a late 3rd round draft selection Comp award for 2021 Draft.

That will be key since Snead has already traded away the 1st, 4th & 5th round Ram selections of the 2021 Draft. DT Micheal Brockers & LB Cory Littleton might also put the Rams in line for a 4th or 5th rd awarded comp pick too.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
All these ideas about signing free agents for the offensive line. I honestly don't think we will see any big splashes there in free agency. For one, I think they want to accrue more comp picks to help offset the lack of 1st round picks.

For another, Edwards and Evans were pressed into starter duty sooner than expected. Might have struggled early but seemed to improve in pass protection later on. I'm thinking the experience they got this past year is going to help them next year.

Its possible all they need to do is bring back big Whit. Corbett has good potential and wasn't terrible when he played. Noteboom may not have been ready, but he's talented. Havenstein was once a pretty reliable right tackle. No reason to think he can't return to that. And he's under contract for a few more years anyway.

We might not be as bleak on the line as we think. Just tweak some things. Get these guys on the same page and who knows? Because I honestly don't think they are using their limited cap dollars on a more expensive free agent when they've invested in the young guys they have now.
More likely that Snead will not be active during the 2020 FA market.. There is a much better chance that Snead's team main activities will be on closely watching the cuts & releases of players who were under contract from other teams.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
I don't see Scherff happening. I think we're going to want to gain a comp pick or two this off-season. If we go after an OL, it'll be somebody who is cut or traded imo.
Exactly. If the Rams don't sign Fowler, I see no way they spend on a high priced UFA at any position. For a team lacking top-end draft capital for the next couple years, that comp pick is way too valuable to lose.

I could definitely see the Rams jumping in on an OL cap casualty from another team, signing them to a deal similar to Weddle's, where they can easily get out after a year. That's probably where they will get their backup QB from as well, unless Bortles just wants to stay in LA.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Exactly. If the Rams don't sign Fowler, I see no way they spend on a high priced UFA at any position. For a team lacking top-end draft capital for the next couple years, that comp pick is way too valuable to lose.

I could definitely see the Rams jumping in on an OL cap casualty from another team, signing them to a deal similar to Weddle's, where they can easily get out after a year. That's probably where they will get their backup QB from as well, unless Bortles just wants to stay in LA.

My position is that the Rams could have two 2'nd round draft picks in 2020 if Fowler is Tagged & Traded, and i'll happily take that trade now for a second rounder rather than wait until 2021 for a late 3'rd round compensation pick.
For McVay/O'Connell to pass on a Scherff if he came available seems almost inconceivable considering present Rams needs along the OL. More likely imo that Scherff is Franchise Tagged himself which puts this story to bed. Unless there's a personality issue that has created some unknown red flags, the two Rams coaches that have worked closest with Scherff, including one who drafted him, are right here, on our team. The Rams struggle with run blocking, and other than Whitworth if retained for another season, have a questionable future talent in Havenstein as demonstrated this year. The remainder of the starting OL has an average age of 23 and whose skills lean more toward pass pro than run blocking. Finding a quality run blocking talent may be as close as our fingertips, and this player could put the final stamp on the immediate future of this OL unit. We'd also have a veteran leader prepared to take over after the departure of Whitworth.
If indeed Fowler becomes a $20mil man, Scherff would be a bargain at his projected cost of $12mil per year.
The Rams have talent all over our offense, are we now to sabotage them by avoiding the obvious ? The OL is the engine which makes everything behind it run more efficiently, if Snead wants to go for it as he's proved so willing in the past, i'd argue that Scherff might just be the locomotive for the little train that could.

SmilingTrain3.gif

jmo.

Ram65

Legend
All these ideas about signing free agents for the offensive line. I honestly don't think we will see any big splashes there in free agency. For one, I think they want to accrue more comp picks to help offset the lack of 1st round picks.

For another, Edwards and Evans were pressed into starter duty sooner than expected. Might have struggled early but seemed to improve in pass protection later on. I'm thinking the experience they got this past year is going to help them next year.

Its possible all they need to do is bring back big Whit. Corbett has good potential and wasn't terrible when he played. Noteboom may not have been ready, but he's talented. Havenstein was once a pretty reliable right tackle. No reason to think he can't return to that. And he's under contract for a few more years anyway.

We might not be as bleak on the line as we think. Just tweak some things. Get these guys on the same page and who knows? Because I honestly don't think they are using their limited cap dollars on a more expensive free agent when they've invested in the young guys they have now.

They have to decide on who plays LT while Noteboom gets healthy. Whit could be the free agent the Rams sign. It's hard to know exactly how the Rams grade the offensive lineman. The young guys were getting pushed around against better defensive lines. I do expect lots of competition in camp. Let's see who hits the weight room and is ready to go.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Couple of things:

1) I don't think the Rams and this regime will pick this time to stand pat with a new stadium opening.

2) They will free up money with some cuts and a restructure or two. Restructuring goff alone opens up 16-17 million signing Ramsey actually creates about 3 million or so factor that in with some necessary cuts plus the remaining cap space we do have and we can fix the offensive line resign maybe one of littleton or fowler

3) bring in a big run stuffer like Shelton and for half the price of fowler maybe sign a Beasley.

4) trade for Glenn or someone in a similar situation

5) I would definetly tag fowler and trade him if no chance of a resign but would have a back up plan should we find no takers. (I see it almost impossible that fowler warrants 20 million a year). I wanted him prior to the trade posted repeatedly about it so this does hurt if he goes but he isn't worth 20 million.

6) Cutting Weddle Mathews and possibly NRC (maybe trade for a pick) opens up even more cap. NRC hurts though but we may have the next one on this squad already but maybe we can find the next one in FA for peanuts like we found him.

7) if we are believers in the kids Havenstein could be traded and all I hear in New York is how badly the Giants want a right tackle. And we could actually get something for him because he is not strictly a salary dump he is a viable player so I'd expect a viable return. His contract is not terrible either. Another pick.

If you were to add up scherff Beasley Glen and Shelton realistically the Rams still would have some cap left over to fill other holes with mid tier guys.

There is no way this regime opens up a new stadium lets everyone go to depend on long shot compensatory picks for 2021. They have demonstrated they are trying to win now I don't think they go that route especially with the new house.

Doing it this way would allow you to remain competitive plug holes let our offense dominate if the lime gets the attention it need but also we could be getting picks while being smart with our cap. If fowler, Havenstein, and NRC, could bring picks now or future that's the way to do it.

Thoughts???

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Couple of things:

1) I don't think the Rams and this regime will pick this time to stand pat with a new stadium opening.

2) They will free up money with some cuts and a restructure or two. Restructuring goff alone opens up 16-17 million signing Ramsey actually creates about 3 million or so factor that in with some necessary cuts plus the remaining cap space we do have and we can fix the offensive line resign maybe one of littleton or fowler

3) bring in a big run stuffer like Shelton and for half the price of fowler maybe sign a Beasley.

4) trade for Glenn or someone in a similar situation

5) I would definetly tag fowler and trade him if no chance of a resign but would have a back up plan should we find no takers. (I see it almost impossible that fowler warrants 20 million a year). I wanted him prior to the trade posted repeatedly about it so this does hurt if he goes but he isn't worth 20 million.

6) Cutting Weddle Mathews and possibly NRC (maybe trade for a pick) opens up even more cap. NRC hurts though but we may have the next one on this squad already but maybe we can find the next one in FA for peanuts like we found him.

7) if we are believers in the kids Havenstein could be traded and all I hear in New York is how badly the Giants want a right tackle. And we could actually get something for him because he is not strictly a salary dump he is a viable player so I'd expect a viable return. His contract is not terrible either. Another pick.

If you were to add up scherff Beasley Glen and Shelton realistically the Rams still would have some cap left over to fill other holes with mid tier guys.

There is no way this regime opens up a new stadium lets everyone go to depend on long shot compensatory picks for 2021. They have demonstrated they are trying to win now I don't think they go that route especially with the new house.

Doing it this way would allow you to remain competitive plug holes let our offense dominate if the lime gets the attention it need but also we could be getting picks while being smart with our cap. If fowler, Havenstein, and NRC, could bring picks now or future that's the way to do it.

Thoughts???

You won't get a lot of argument out of me since I posted something fairly similar a week to 10 days ago.
I'd prefer to avoid restructures until next season though as 2021 is when those Ramsey, Kupp, JJ3 & Everett contracts require extensions. I wait on Ramsey until 2021 rather than try to save a couple mil now by re-signing him earlier than we need, ... as re-signing him now may shave a few mil off the 2020 CAP, it also has the effect of raising the 2021 CAP to a higher level than need be while trying to extend Kupp, JJ3 & Everett.

I have serious doubts that both Whitworth & Havenstein are going to be allowed to walk in the same year.

Shelton becomes an interesting choice at NT because our new Denver DC comes from a 3-4 system which is a little more traditional than Wade's hybrid, utilizing bigger DE's and a larger NT.

Snead may be sitting on a directive to go big for our Grand Opening, and if that's the case, the gloves are gonna come off and we may be in for another wild ride this off-season. I just don't want to accumulate too much CAP debt that gets pushed back only to bite us in the rear a few years down the line.
jmo.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Is McGovern better at pass pro our as a run blocker ? Do you have a PFF grade on him ? I don't know much about the kid other than he did take every Center snap this season. Any projected salary/CAP costs as a long term sign ?

McGovern was good at both in college at PSU. I'm not sure if his pro game.

Honestly, if we could get a stud Center, so much of our OL would be better. I don't care if it's a rookie (Travis Frederick solidified that OL in Dallas when it was very hit or miss as an example of how a rookie C can change things).

So, whether we make moves like a Fowler tag and trade or what, if we get into the first round, I want that C from Wisconsin, Tyler Biadasz.

Would I be good getting Scherff, no C at all and letting big Whit go? Hell no.

That said, whatever's gonna happen is gonna happen and I'll just ride with what they do.

Frederick was a no doubter. I think Biadasz is a ways from that level. In the Rose Bowl he looked to have similar troubles as Brian Allen in finding targets to block and in getting pushed back. I think he's overrated.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I don’t think we can adjust Goff as much as folks are thinking due to expiration of the CBA. There’s a 30% rule in place so we’d be limited.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
I hear what your saying, but when have The Rams drafted a offensive lineman highly ??
Noteboom was a pick,Brown & Havenstein we’re high picks.
Evans was a pick created by trade ?
Robinson was Les Sneads first.

—I’m just going back to Kromers first draft.I’m also going to go back to my believe that the media does not have a insite on Kromers thinking on Allen.

-Maybe they do ?? Corbett at center is a questionable comment ?? When has he played center ?? At Senior Bowl ??

Coleman Shelton being signed might have been a depth thing ?? Austin Blythe is going to be a FA & he got hurt.

When you have Demby starting at RG it doesn’t help Havenstein or Allen. I was upset going in because The Rams sat Allen all preseason. How can that happen, especially when he never established himself. Then having Blythe sit as well because he was going to be the starting RG.

I was already pissed about Blythe starting all season. I thought Noteboom was going to get the starting RG postion right out of training camp his rookie season.
I just go back & look at Kromers first season as The Rams O”line coach.The Rams passed on O”lineman because Kromer had enough confidence in his coaching.The Rams may find a FA ?? I just know what I see from my kind of scouting.
Corbett for a 5th rd pick was a steal. Finding Coleman Shelton for nothing was scouting. Both players held roster spot all season. Corbett looking like the #33 draft pick he was.I don’t think Kromer gives away the experience of his coaching that easy.
By OTA’s before the draft gives all The Rams a step ahead of any draft pick. I was at the last 2 training camps. Demby was horrible his rookie season& Noteboom was
Slow at learning. They both jumped offsides on more than one occasion.Just showed there inexperience.
David Edwards & Bobby Evans were cross-training. They never had a chance to settled.It takes awhile to get rookies up to speed,especially with such a young line. There was a big difference when Noteboom is under the arms with big Whit ,next to John Sullivan & Roger Saffold.The weight room is where it is at with Saffold. Always puts his work in. Noteboom has a solid pop. I just hope he is beefing up while rehabbing.
Look at the average age of these guys ??? What All these doubters & Ram fans come lately don’t understand is how young these guys are.Edwards & Evans both had another season left of college ball.
My question to you is Edwards goes back to Wisconsin does he start at RT or LT ?? Then the question about Bobby Evans at Oklahoma starting at LT. He comes out this year with the experience he just got as a starting RT on a playoff type team. Where does he go in the 2020 draft.
As I said Corbett looks like a #33 draft pick.He is only going to get better. I heard his interview about how he likes to beat the player in front of him all game and break the opponents will.
Demby & Kolone both have another year under there belf as well. It’s all about ascending players for Kromer.The good think about The Rams having a new OC it just helps The Kromers & Dickerson to concentrate more on the development of these young players.

All I know is this is the youngest & most promising group of young Lineman & have ever seen as a Rams fan.
Does Practice squad Nate Trewyn (center)6-4 315lbs age 23) have a future?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I personally don't get the fascination with Glenn. His play has declined and he's on the wrong side of 30, yes he just turned 30 this past season, to have not played a full season in 4 years to injuries. He carries a $7.5 million base and a $2 million roster bonus (depending on when we trade for him we may have to pay that too).

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Brewer was our best pre-season game OG imo. He's also been first up as an OT reserve this regular season. He's a big guy at 6'6", 320 lbs., so we'll have to see, but with another solid off-season training program under him, i'm not going to count him out. Do so at your own risk.
jmo.
I have the same opinion of Chandler Brewer maybe even higher. His preseason performances were very solid & his versatility is off the charts for a rookie UDFA.

I will expect Brewer's 2nd season to take up where he left off as the top reserve to the LT post. Brewer dressed for the last 7 Ram gms & had cameo snaps with the offense @ OT & OG. As you mentioned his size would seem to be working well for him & Kromer.

When you spend your senior season 2018 fighting a serious form of cancer & he continued to play then soon move into the NFL ranks as a rookie & accomplish what he did...why would you not believe that he will seize the off season programs to better himself in overall power & conditioning in prep for the upcoming TC/ preseason & possibly a starting position in the Rams OL.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

This guy intrigues me some being our third & final Center signed after the season got underway. He hasn't had the benefit of our camp or training, so without seeing him, it's pretty difficult to judge his skill level. He was picked up by Tampa Bay as a UDFA, waived and re-signed to their Practice Squad, then brought up to their 53, then waived again when Snead grabbed him. He never had a single snap with T.B.
It's too hard to say whether there was already some disappointment in Coleman Shelton & Kolone at the time in mid November when Trewyn came here, or even whether they were looking at him as a potential OG or Center for that matter, it would naturally take some time for him to learn the play calls at Center. Trewyn was signed only 3 days after Allen went down and the OL shuffle that took place during the Pittsburgh game. He's got the size to play OG or Center, whether he has the power & smarts, we'll have to see.
jmo.

Last edited:

dang

Legend
How about tag and trade Fowler for a proven OL and a 5th round draft pick?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

I really have no info on him, but was signed off the practice squad right away. I’d say he has a chance. I think the center position will be given in house. Wonder about Blythe still ?? He is now a quality veteran swing c/g.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I have the same opinion of Chandler Brewer maybe even higher. His preseason performances were very solid & his versatility is off the charts for a rookie UDFA.

I will expect Brewer's 2nd season to take up where he left off as the top reserve to the LT post. Brewer dressed for the last 7 Ram gms & had cameo snaps with the offense @ OT & OG. As you mentioned his size would seem to be working well for him & Kromer.

When you spend your senior season 2018 fighting a serious form of cancer & he continued to play then soon move into the NFL ranks as a rookie & accomplish what he did...why would you not believe that he will seize the off season programs to better himself in overall power & conditioning in prep for the upcoming TC/ preseason & possibly a starting position in the Rams OL.

Based on his performance against Arizona
He was not impressive at all. Thank God Evans came back in. The Rams might have lost the game,or worse Goff would get injured.
That being said, Brewer can improve & has a chance to make the squad.
If this is the case though, why draft another lineman with so many young players on the squad.

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
If the Rams decide not to re-sign Whitworth due to age/cost/ability decline, then my free agent interest leans towards :

NT - Danny Shelton ($20.mil over 4 years)
ILB - Patrick Onwausor ($20.mil over 4 years)
RG - Brandon Scherff ($50.mil over 4 years)

2020 CAP currently listed at $23.7mil

CAP Cut M.Brown - Save $1.mil
CAP Cut Weddle - Save $4.25mil
Trade NRC - Save $4.5mil (To Texans for pick #153 in the 5'th)
Trade Everett - Save $1.mil (To NE for pick #87 in the 3'rd)
Tag & Trade Fowler to NYG for pick #36

Sign Draft Class - Cost $5.5mil

No restructures necessary

2020 Draft :

1) N/A
2a) #36
2b) #52
3a) #84
3b) #87 - From NE Trade
3c) Compensation Pick
4) #116
5) #153 From Texans Trade