Rams Top Free Agent Targets?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Does anyone know what FA ILBers are available, maybe they bring in some new blood. Usually this is a position you can get quality at a reasonable price. I have no problem with saying goodbye to Fowler and Littleton unless they come back on team friendly deals.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Does anyone know what FA ILBers are available, maybe they bring in some new blood. Usually this is a position you can get quality at a reasonable price. I have no problem with saying goodbye to Fowler and Littleton unless they come back on team friendly deals.
Free agents as of right now.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Gotta see what Snead and Demoff can do to create more cap space.
Best Drama /Mystery show in the world this late winter & early spring off season. I am sure most of our ROD members & I will have a front row seats.:party:

#1 need on defense. a$$ kicking run stuffing ILB. Tired of the 15 yard runs right up our gut.
If my memory does not fail me again.... I believe that we have been thinking this since the 2017 playoff game??? I was under the impression that Wade would have fixed that issue that cost us that 2017 playoff game.

I am of the opinion that an above average run stuffing NT would be the first line of defense.....SJD just did not cut it in his first yr as a starter & in his 2nd season. My Hope is that both SJD & GG's will have learned much from their 2019 season & progress to the point that they are no longer inferior.

2017 NT's- Tanzel Smart/ Ethan Westbrooks/ Tyrunn Walker.
2018 NT's- Ndamukong Suh/ Ethan Westbrooks/ Tanzel Smart
2018 NT's-Joseph Sebastian-Day/ Gregg Gaines/ Tanzel Smart

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Correa & Kwiatkoski would be my primary ILB targets. There are some others though like Matakevich I wouldn't mind seeing the Rams go get he's a hell of a teams addition too.

Ram65

Legend
The Rams haven't had the early draft picks to get a top-level LBer in a long time. They will have a lot of holes to fill this year with no first-round pick. Ogletree the last early round LBer is still missing tackles high as he did with the Rams. If they let Littleton go I hope they can find either a less expensive free agent or a draft pick that can run and fill the lane. I guess Kiser gets a look on early downs to compete with Reeder.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The Rams haven't had the early draft picks to get a top-level LBer in a long time. They will have a lot of holes to fill this year with no first-round pick. Ogletree the last early round LBer is still missing tackles high as he did with the Rams. If they let Littleton go I hope they can find either a less expensive free agent or a draft pick that can run and fill the lane. I guess Kiser gets a look on early downs to compete with Reeder.
Rams have had issues with big runs through our middle now probably since James Laurinaitis slipped past his time. JL was selected in the 2nd round of the 2009 draft he had five straight outstanding seasons till he started to slow down in 2014.

Rams had issue in the middle after they let Fletcher depart with a #1 draft pick of Robert Thomas. But the Rams did not do so bad with the 7th rd pick of MLB'er David Vobora. I do really like the selection of ILB'er Travin Howard & look forward to seeing Micah Kiser take up the MLB'ing post with Troy Reader as his back up. Kenny Young should be a dandy back up to Howard. Even Patrick Natrez might push Kiser more than we think.

Wade went primarily with only one ILB'er in the lineup & going with 3 safeties. So I am not going to put all the issues with our weak middle on whomever that lonely one ILB'er was. I would expect our new DC to go with the standard two ILB'ers much more than Wade. Our secondary with Ramsey/ Hill/ NRC/ JJ III & Rapp should provide comfort against the pass.

Last edited:

Petrowsky

Rookie
Name
Petrowsky
Still sorting things but here are some key guys on my own watchlist and for the most part I'm after options who are still young (well below 30). I realize we're on a tight FA look here with a lot of money reserved for Ramsey but feel like we are going to see a good addition brought in:

OL

1. OG Scherff (Washington). Seems unlikely but never know as his injury history might lead Washington to let him test FA. Would be a starter and high cost type signing.

2. OG Glasgow (Detroit). He's better in the run game than pass pro but represents a significant upgrade for us in the interior. He will be sought after on the market.

3. OG Haeg (Indy). Balanced guard who is young (26) and will probably be locked up by Indy but never know. (Note I'm definitely off the Castonzo possibility now due to his retirement threat which is a real bad sign for a prospective FA signing).

4. OG Thuney (New England). Exceptional pass pro interior lineman who is going to be highly prized on the market due to the team he's on. I was cooler on him prior to going back and watching some of his games and he's not special in the run game but he is definitely an upgrade for us.

5. OG/OT Vaitai (Philly). This guy is versatile and solid in different roles. If he hits the market I could see the Rams going after him. Should be a mid echelon type.

6. C McGovern (Denver). Another longshot to hit the market but developing player whose pass pro is better than his run blocking so they might let him get to FA. As a solid level starter type he'll come with some cost (mid level probably) in FA.

7. G Schweitzer (Atlanta). Developing interior OL has done a lot of RG with Atlanta brings some versatility hasn't figured things out yet 26 years old. Would be competition signing.

ILB

1. ILB Kwiatkoski (Chicago). At some point NFL front offices are going to realize this guy's ability to be in the right place in the right moment is valuable. He's a "run stuffer" but also a better overall backer in coverage than many realize IMO. Cost shouldn't be too bad, he won't get nearly as much as Littleton is going to for example.

2. ILB Matakevich (Pittsburgh). Was depth on the Steelers' chart but he's another young backer with some instincts to him. Would be an affordable type signing for competition.

3. ILB Bynes (Baltimore). He's 31 and a Cards castoff that shouldn't be too much in FA. Potential affordable type target as ILB for competition if Littleton walks. If teams start bidding on him I'd be out.

Others

1. OLB Lawson (Buffalo). I've always seen him as best suited to OLB in a 3-4. He had 6 sacks this year as a DE, was good vs the run, but still his potential impact in our defense is much higher IMO. Edge types are never cheap in FA but we might be able to snap him up at a reasonable rate in this particular FA class depending on who hits market.

2. S Clinton-Dix (Bears). I wanted him last year to give us that single high element we are still missing but we got Weddle instead. Teams don't seem to like him but he gets results and when he's on the market I've got my eye on him. If the Rams were to sign him they would undoubtedly trade Johnson. (Note there are some other safety options in FA like Boston or Riley but I'm going for fit and don't like guys who can't tackle)

3. RB Gore (Buffalo). Older than dirt but he can eat carries and get you the tough yards when he's called on which is more than I can say for Brown. Should be a solid and cheap addition for some team.

4. QB McCarron (Houston). I've always liked AJ as a backup because he's got some cockiness to him which I prefer in my QBs. Good leadership off the bench, I'd be looking at him for that affordable range.
I really like Kwiatkoski as an option. He would be familiar with the Defense as well having played for Fangio. I think he should be a target for the Rams.

TheTackle

Starter
The Chicago Bears selected Kwiatkoski in the fourth round (113th overall) of the 2016 NFL Draft; to draft him, the Bears traded their fourth (117th overall) and sixth round picks (206th overall) to the Los Angeles Rams in order to move up...

The Bears defense battled countless injuries in 2019, including the loss of starting inside linebackers Danny Trevathan and Roquan Smith and defensive tackle Akiem Hicks.

But the Bears saw several reserve players step up in those starters absences, perhaps none more impressive than inside linebacker Nick Kwiatkoski, who thrived in relief of Danny Trevathan.

Kwiatkoski had career highs with 76 combined tackles, three sacks, four pass breakups and a safety, as well as one forced fumble. He was one of the better defenders down the stretch for the Bears.

Kwiatkoski is someone that should offer optimism for the playoff-less Bears heading into 2020, according to Pro Football Focus.

While Kwiatkoski is a free agent, he was a bright spot for the Bears defense, filling in admirably on his 512 snaps this season. He came out of college as a solid run defender who overcame a lack of great physical tools by usually being in the right place in coverage, and that’s exactly what he did this season for the Bears. Kwiatkoski finished with a solid 72.6 overall grade while making 26 defensive stops and breaking up three passes, and that performance makes him a valuable piece to re-sign in free agency.

Kwiatkoski’s performance this season was more than enough to garner a contract extension from the Bears this offseason. The Bears have a few inside linebackers that are pending free agents, including Kwiatkoski, Trevathan and Kevin Pierre-Louis.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's similarly sized to Reeder but more instinctive. Going back to college he makes really quick diagnoses that gets him where he needs to go a bit quicker than it should. Fills hard and fast vs the run. If he's on the field on third down he needs to be rushing or dropping/zone, not gonna do well covering guys in man for very long.

I've been mainly looking at the draft stuff of late but a good way to look at these FAs is watching combo games. Like the Bears/Lions week 13 that has both him and Glasgow. Who is excellent all around btw.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
" A Chandler Brewer Story"

Chandler Brewer's
rise from an unknown UDFA RG that many NFL draft sites had no information or rating on to being a Ram OL'er began on April 29, 2019 when Brewer signed his first Ram contract. Brewer started & played in all four preseason games. Most Brewers snaps with the #1 team offense were @ LT & LG with some RT snaps. Brewer was one of the top Ram OL'ers playing in 2019 preseason.

By the end of preseason. Chandler Brewer signed his second Ram contract to be a member on the Rams P.S. on Sept 1st 2019. Before the Rams TC got underway the Rams interior OL began to take some hits. Rams lost top reserve center Aaron Neary who was suspended 4 games for violating the league's substance abuse policy.

Then late preseason Allen's main back up Neary Hit #1 injured his knee & never returned to the Rams to play. Center Vitas Hrynkiewicz & Jeremiah Kolone took over back up duties for Brian Allen even Jamil Demby try his hand as a OC in late preseason. Rams cut Vitas H. & then signed Jeremiah Kolone to the PS for OC insurance & signed Coleman Shelton directly to the active roster to replace back up OC Aaron Neary.

The next OL Hit #2 occurred wk#2 in the Saints game when starting RG Austin Blythe injured his ankle & was replaced by Jamil Demby which I would call the beginning of Hit #3 in a sense. Wk#3 Demby started his first gm against the Browns turning in a very poor effort enough scare the Rams to cause Blythe to come back way too early from injury. As of that event Blythe played through that nagging ankle injury throughout season. In addition, after the season concluded Blythe had surgery on both of his shoulders.

The next big OL Hit #4 occurred on Oct 13, 2019. Starting LG Noteboom suffered a severe knee injury & was lost for the season. Swing OG Jamil Demby replaced him @ LG. Demby then completed Hit #3 with dismal performance that resulted in Demby NEVER playing in another Ram game. 5th rd Rookie David Edwards who by now was the #6 OL'er with Demby starting started in place of Demby @ LG. After the Noteboom injury wk#7 OT rookie Bobby Evans was activated for the first time for a gm as the reserve LT position.

On October 14, 2019 Snead/ McVay/Kromer knew they were in serious trouble with the OL. At this point in time Kromer had already lost his back up center Neary & starting LG Noteboom who was also his main back up @ LT. Kromer was playing a badly injured RG Blythe due to Demby's inability to perform @ NFL & could no longer be counted on to be a decent back up. Kromer had a 5th rd rookie starting now @ LG in David Edwards. The main interior reserve was newly acquired ex Cards rookie Coleman Shelton who was cut by the Cards. On October 15th,2019 Snead traded with Browns for former very high 2nd rd. 2018 draft selection LT Austin Corbett for a 5th rd 2020 pick.

The Ol settled down for a while after Corbett's arrival but two main wheels flew off wk#10 on November 11th, 2019 against Pittsburgh. Hit# 5 Rams lost starting center Allen for the rest of the season. Rookie Shelton was forced into starting action @ OC for Allen. In addition, starting RT Havenstein suffered a severe knee injury too, Havenstein was forced to continue play through a right meniscus injury because Kromer went into the Steelers game without making reserve OT Bobby Evans active. Later Corbett relieved;) Edwards @ LG who then relieved Havenstein @ RT. Hit #6 RT Rob Havenstein injured knee was never healthy again & he did not start another gm in 2019.

By Wk#11 the Rams OL underwent a paradigm shift should I call it Big Hit #7 ?. Kromer had a new starting LG Corbett, new starting RG rookie Edwards, new starting RT rookie Evans & a new starting center Blythe. FOUR starters in new positions. It was during this event that Chandler Brewer signed a new Ram contract for active roster duties on Nov 13, 2019.

Brewer was now Kromers top swing OT & OG reserve #6 OL'er. Brewer now was taking weekly practice snaps for LT Whitworth. From this point on Wk#11 till the end of the season Kromer depended on Chandler Brewer as his main reserve for four OL posts. No other Ol'er saw snaps with the offense. Brewer is signed thru 2021 when he is still attached contract wise with the Rams as a ERFA in 2021.

NFL Draft Notes: Middle Tennessee State's Chandler Brewer Goes From Cancer Treatments to Pro Day
He concealed cancer treatment from scouts to avoid the distraction. Now Chandler Brewer is gaining his strength back in time for the draft.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That was a good read Boni thanks for putting it up. Hard not to root for that dude after all that eh? (y)

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
1) Our very own LT - Andrew Whitworth
2) Washington RG - Brandon Scherff
3) Baltimore ILB Patrick Onwuasor

CAP ?, ... We don't need no stinkin' CAP !

Here you go @Riverumbbq
View: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2873338-bold-free-agent-predictions-for-every-nfl-team-in-2020#slide17
Bold Free-Agent Predictions for Every NFL Team in 2020
by Kristopher Knox
Los Angeles Rams

1580479950602.png

Rams sign Brandon Scherff

Last offseason, the Los Angeles Rams decided to part with guard Rodger Saffold and center John Sullivan. That proved to be a mistake, as the interior of the offensive line was a mess without them, and the Rams offense as a whole suffered.

Los Angeles went from averaging 6.4 yards per play in 2018 to 5.7 yards per play in 2019.

Expect the Rams to overcorrect and go after the best free-agent guard in Brandon Scherff. Since being drafted by the Washington Redskins in 2015, he has gone on to become one of the league's best interior lineman. A three-time Pro Bowler, he would be a phenomenal add.

The Rams might have to free up a little cap space—they're projected to have $19.5 million—but adding Scherff would potentially be the highlight of their offseason.