Rams Top Free Agent Targets?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I doubt the Rams go FA on the defensive line. They have a ton of money tied up in Donald and a very deep DL draft ahead. Anything's possible of course just see that as unlikely for a squad that will be cap conscious given the need to sign Ramsey. We're probably going to see some beef in this draft on both sides of the ball.

Staley is probably telling McVay right now what he thinks of the LBs (and he's had some quality off ball LBs under Fangio). So if he wants Littleton back I am sure the Rams will do that. Probably a higher chance of him valuing Littleton than Wade would have so CL might take higher priority now.

I still think Fowler is good as gone. Priority will be Ramsey, they have some depth on the edge to fall back on and a top pass rush element at 3T, push will be to lock up the cover option they paid 2 first round picks for.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The Rams are going to be strongly focused on fixing this OL. I don't see them taking a lukewarm approach with castoffs and making assumptions that some of the low talent options on the depth chart can be counted on.

What that's going to look like we'll see as at this point I doubt a guy like Rivera lets Scherff roll out of town in FA. Rivera will value him.

If they don't like the FA options on the OL then I expect they'll add FA to other holes in the roster and the OL will be priority #1 in the draft. Different ways it can be addressed but it's definitely going to be a high priority McVay is not going to leave Goff behind a bad OL for a second straight season.
Rams OL ranked #31 by PFF.

Sounds about right & that's what Snead/McVay/Kromer was gifted with.......when your top OL'er was 38 yr old starting LT.

A starting 28 yr old veteran RG/OC who has been in decline for the last two seasons.

A veteran former starting RT who turned in his worse season performance since being drafted in 2015 then getting injured & not returning to the lineup.

Rams forced starting two rookie OL'ers @ OG & RT(Edwards/Evans) after the 2 first yr starters went down to injury. Both of these 1st yr starters on field performances (LG Noteboom & OC Allen) were miserable/ sad/ distressing.

Last new starter was a mid season addition (Corbett) who started 7 gms @ LG in 2019 who only had has 1 start in 2018 for the Browns.

Rams #6 Ol'er was a UDFA rookie (Brewer). #7 OL'er was a UDFA 1st yr WWC (Shelton) picked up after regular season began. #8th OL'er was Jamil Demby:censored:.

Last edited:

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sounds about right & that's what he got with a 38 yr old starting LT. A starting veteran RG/OC who has been in decline for the last two seasons. A veteran former starting RT who turned in his worse season performance since being drafted in 2015 then getting injured & not returning to the lineup.

Rams were forced to start two rookie OL'ers @ OG & RT(Edwards/Evans). The last starter was a mid season addition (Corbett) who started 7 gms @ LG in 2019 who only had has 1 start in 2018 for the Browns.

Rams #6 Ol'er was a UDFA rookie (Brewer). #7 OL'er was a UDFA 1st yr WWC (Shelton) picked up after regular season began. #8th OL'er was Jamil Demby:censored:.

For the HEALTH of GOFF & GURLEY (And, All the Rams RB’s & Backup QB’s!) I certainly hope the Rams will greatly IMPROVE on that 31st ranking!!!

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Free agency to give an immediate boost to our OL. (Whitworth, Scherff)

The Draft for our Defense to replace losses from free agency. And a new DC who will get new young players to mold in his image.
jmo.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Defense needs to get bigger up the middle. Need size at middle linebacker and some people eaters on the Dline. Somebody has to get double teamed besides AD. AD got 20 sacks 2 seasons ago in large part because he had Su taking up bodies. Nobody did that last year.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Defense needs to get bigger up the middle. Need size at middle linebacker and some people eaters on the Dline. Somebody has to get double teamed besides AD. AD got 20 sacks 2 seasons ago in large part because he had Su taking up bodies. Nobody did that last year.

Yeah, just look at the Titans linebacker corps. They have some thumpers and they handled Lamar Jackson for the most part. Evans and Long are studs. That whole team tackled well too, and were quick to hit receivers after the catch. The Rams are sorely lacking at linebacker.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Yeah, just look at the Titans linebacker corps. They have some thumpers and they handled Lamar Jackson for the most part. Evans and Long are studs. That whole team tackled well too, and were quick to hit receivers after the catch. The Rams are sorely lacking at linebacker.
Rams 2019 defense brought no hits with those tackles. Tackles made yes but most were still going forwards for more yds........:(

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Still sorting things but here are some key guys on my own watchlist and for the most part I'm after options who are still young (well below 30). I realize we're on a tight FA look here with a lot of money reserved for Ramsey but feel like we are going to see a good addition brought in:

OL

1. OG Scherff (Washington). Seems unlikely but never know as his injury history might lead Washington to let him test FA. Would be a starter and high cost type signing.

2. OG Glasgow (Detroit). He's better in the run game than pass pro but represents a significant upgrade for us in the interior. He will be sought after on the market.

3. OG Haeg (Indy). Balanced guard who is young (26) and will probably be locked up by Indy but never know. (Note I'm definitely off the Castonzo possibility now due to his retirement threat which is a real bad sign for a prospective FA signing).

4. OG Thuney (New England). Exceptional pass pro interior lineman who is going to be highly prized on the market due to the team he's on. I was cooler on him prior to going back and watching some of his games and he's not special in the run game but he is definitely an upgrade for us.

5. OG/OT Vaitai (Philly). This guy is versatile and solid in different roles. If he hits the market I could see the Rams going after him. Should be a mid echelon type.

6. C McGovern (Denver). Another longshot to hit the market but developing player whose pass pro is better than his run blocking so they might let him get to FA. As a solid level starter type he'll come with some cost (mid level probably) in FA.

7. G Schweitzer (Atlanta). Developing interior OL has done a lot of RG with Atlanta brings some versatility hasn't figured things out yet 26 years old. Would be competition signing.

ILB

1. ILB Kwiatkoski (Chicago). At some point NFL front offices are going to realize this guy's ability to be in the right place in the right moment is valuable. He's a "run stuffer" but also a better overall backer in coverage than many realize IMO. Cost shouldn't be too bad, he won't get nearly as much as Littleton is going to for example.

2. ILB Matakevich (Pittsburgh). Was depth on the Steelers' chart but he's another young backer with some instincts to him. Would be an affordable type signing for competition.

3. ILB Bynes (Baltimore). He's 31 and a Cards castoff that shouldn't be too much in FA. Potential affordable type target as ILB for competition if Littleton walks. If teams start bidding on him I'd be out.

Others

1. OLB Lawson (Buffalo). I've always seen him as best suited to OLB in a 3-4. He had 6 sacks this year as a DE, was good vs the run, but still his potential impact in our defense is much higher IMO. Edge types are never cheap in FA but we might be able to snap him up at a reasonable rate in this particular FA class depending on who hits market.

2. S Clinton-Dix (Bears). I wanted him last year to give us that single high element we are still missing but we got Weddle instead. Teams don't seem to like him but he gets results and when he's on the market I've got my eye on him. If the Rams were to sign him they would undoubtedly trade Johnson. (Note there are some other safety options in FA like Boston or Riley but I'm going for fit and don't like guys who can't tackle)

3. RB Gore (Buffalo). Older than dirt but he can eat carries and get you the tough yards when he's called on which is more than I can say for Brown. Should be a solid and cheap addition for some team.

4. QB McCarron (Houston). I've always liked AJ as a backup because he's got some cockiness to him which I prefer in my QBs. Good leadership off the bench, I'd be looking at him for that affordable range.

jetplt67

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...
I have no idea on what the Rams Salary Cap situation will be when Free Agency begins but are there any thoughts and/or opinions on what Free Agents the Rams might pursue? I am guessing the Rams might be looking to improve their OL (Pretty Obvious!), DL and LB but what other positions (RB, Backup QB, KR, etc) do you think they will be keying on during the off-season? Am I wrong that I would like to see the Rams get a little more NASTINESS (I am probably the ONLY Rams Fan that has missed OG Richie Incognito/I know he definitely had some temper issues and he had more than his share of BAD Penalties but I loved his Passion & Physical Play!) from their players next season?
I love Incognito. A QB's best friend is a lineman who will do what it takes to protect you.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Scherff would be the only legitimate rush blocking starter the Rams have on an interior which currently favors pass pro, he might also combine with Havenstein to restore his former glory days as a superior run blocker. If you want a better running game, get a better run blocker.
No doubt it's a long shot, and if Brewer can do those things, then maybe it won't be necessary, but that's also questionable at this time..
jmo.

Brewer ?? He is a back up at best right now. Hav,Corbett,Evans,Edwards

I don’t see Brewer beating any of those 4 out. What happens with Noteboom is the big question & Whit

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder

Sounds about right & that's what Snead/McVay/Kromer was gifted with.......when your top OL'er was 38 yr old starting LT.

A starting 28 yr old veteran RG/OC who has been in decline for the last two seasons.

A veteran former starting RT who turned in his worse season performance since being drafted in 2015 then getting injured & not returning to the lineup.

Rams forced starting two rookie OL'ers @ OG & RT(Edwards/Evans) after the 2 first yr starters went down to injury. Both of these 1st yr starters on field performances (LG Noteboom & OC Allen) were miserable/ sad/ distressing.

Last new starter was a mid season addition (Corbett) who started 7 gms @ LG in 2019 who only had has 1 start in 2018 for the Browns.

Dyslexia makes a world of difference

Rams OL Ranked #13 by PFF

GO KROMER GO RAMS!

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Brewer ?? He is a back up at best right now. Hav,Corbett,Evans,Edwards

I don’t see Brewer beating any of those 4 out. What happens with Noteboom is the big question & Whit

Brewer was our best pre-season game OG imo. He's also been first up as an OT reserve this regular season. He's a big guy at 6'6", 320 lbs., so we'll have to see, but with another solid off-season training program under him, i'm not going to count him out. Do so at your own risk.
jmo.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Glenn looks like a good option. They might be able to do a longer-term contract and cut his cap hit for 2020. He could be a better longer term solution to resigning Whitworth. Rams need to protect Goff's blindside first and go from there.

The problem I see with this is that signing Glenn long-term is going to result in less CAP available to extend Ramsey, Kupp, JJ3 & Everett in 2021.
Re-signing Whitworth for 2020 means he's off the books for 2021.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
#1 Evolve the offensive scheme to be more diverse.
Add some physicality in the trenches. Center, Guard. No high priced guys, just guys who can play and for depth. I maintain that our problems on O started with lack of offseason scheme adjustments and not just bad OLine play.

#2 Add some size & physicality to the front seven. Resign Littleton so we can continue to cover backs & TE's. Teams who can't cover those guys in today's league are fucked. Develop our young pass rushers & LB's that sat behind Fowler & Clay. Use the draft heavily on the defense. DT, pass rush. Let Fowler, Brockers walk, keep Clay one more year but diminish his role. Resign Ramsey, obviously. Build it around AD, CL & JR.

Get away from the finesse label on offense, which was a fair label in 2019 IMO. More TE's on the field, please. McV needs to reclaim the play action advantage we had in '17, '18.

Ram65

Legend
The problem I see with this is that signing Glenn long-term is going to result in less CAP available to extend Ramsey, Kupp, JJ3 & Everett in 2021.
Re-signing Whitworth for 2020 means he's off the books for 2021.

They have more cap room and flexibility in 2021. The cap could go up significantly in 2021 with a new CBA with a 17 game season. Getting the LT spot settle is the most important need with Noteboom out and questionable for the season. You have been pushing for Brandon Scherff which would also take money away from signing others. Resigning Whitworth may take a two-year deal to get the cap hit lower. That may require the Rams to take a cap hit in 2021. We are all more or less spitballing ideas. I still consider Glenn an option to look at.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Brewer was our best pre-season game OG imo. He's also been first up as an OT reserve this regular season. He's a big guy at 6'6", 320 lbs., so we'll have to see, but with another solid off-season training program under him, i'm not going to count him out. Do so at your own risk.
jmo.

1.Coleman Shelton is backup c
2.Chandler Brewer is listed as G.
3.Nate Trewyn c
4.Kolone g
5.Evans T.
6.Havenstien T.
7.Edwards T.
8.Corbett T
9.Noteboom
10. Allen

-Whitworth-
Just saying if all is healthy & your bringing in new Lineman you have to let some players go. Your in the camp of letting Allen go ?? I don’t know. Then is Brewer odd guy out as well ???

fearsomefour

Legend
Still sorting things but here are some key guys on my own watchlist and for the most part I'm after options who are still young (well below 30). I realize we're on a tight FA look here with a lot of money reserved for Ramsey but feel like we are going to see a good addition brought in:

OL

1. OG Scherff (Washington). Seems unlikely but never know as his injury history might lead Washington to let him test FA. Would be a starter and high cost type signing.

2. OG Glasgow (Detroit). He's better in the run game than pass pro but represents a significant upgrade for us in the interior. He will be sought after on the market.

3. OG Haeg (Indy). Balanced guard who is young (26) and will probably be locked up by Indy but never know. (Note I'm definitely off the Castonzo possibility now due to his retirement threat which is a real bad sign for a prospective FA signing).

4. OG Thuney (New England). Exceptional pass pro interior lineman who is going to be highly prized on the market due to the team he's on. I was cooler on him prior to going back and watching some of his games and he's not special in the run game but he is definitely an upgrade for us.

5. OG/OT Vaitai (Philly). This guy is versatile and solid in different roles. If he hits the market I could see the Rams going after him. Should be a mid echelon type.

6. C McGovern (Denver). Another longshot to hit the market but developing player whose pass pro is better than his run blocking so they might let him get to FA. As a solid level starter type he'll come with some cost (mid level probably) in FA.

7. G Schweitzer (Atlanta). Developing interior OL has done a lot of RG with Atlanta brings some versatility hasn't figured things out yet 26 years old. Would be competition signing.

ILB

1. ILB Kwiatkoski (Chicago). At some point NFL front offices are going to realize this guy's ability to be in the right place in the right moment is valuable. He's a "run stuffer" but also a better overall backer in coverage than many realize IMO. Cost shouldn't be too bad, he won't get nearly as much as Littleton is going to for example.

2. ILB Matakevich (Pittsburgh). Was depth on the Steelers' chart but he's another young backer with some instincts to him. Would be an affordable type signing for competition.

3. ILB Bynes (Baltimore). He's 31 and a Cards castoff that shouldn't be too much in FA. Potential affordable type target as ILB for competition if Littleton walks. If teams start bidding on him I'd be out.

Others

1. OLB Lawson (Buffalo). I've always seen him as best suited to OLB in a 3-4. He had 6 sacks this year as a DE, was good vs the run, but still his potential impact in our defense is much higher IMO. Edge types are never cheap in FA but we might be able to snap him up at a reasonable rate in this particular FA class depending on who hits market.

2. S Clinton-Dix (Bears). I wanted him last year to give us that single high element we are still missing but we got Weddle instead. Teams don't seem to like him but he gets results and when he's on the market I've got my eye on him. If the Rams were to sign him they would undoubtedly trade Johnson. (Note there are some other safety options in FA like Boston or Riley but I'm going for fit and don't like guys who can't tackle)

3. RB Gore (Buffalo). Older than dirt but he can eat carries and get you the tough yards when he's called on which is more than I can say for Brown. Should be a solid and cheap addition for some team.

4. QB McCarron (Houston). I've always liked AJ as a backup because he's got some cockiness to him which I prefer in my QBs. Good leadership off the bench, I'd be looking at him for that affordable range.
What do you think of Spain, the LG from Buffalo?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
They have more cap room and flexibility in 2021. The cap could go up significantly in 2021 with a new CBA with a 17 game season. Getting the LT spot settle is the most important need with Noteboom out and questionable for the season. You have been pushing for Brandon Scherff which would also take money away from signing others. Resigning Whitworth may take a two-year deal to get the cap hit lower. That may require the Rams to take a cap hit in 2021. We are all more or less spitballing ideas. I still consider Glenn an option to look at.

If we re-sign Whitworth for two seasons, my money would be on it being drawn up like Weddle's with an easy year two escape.
Yes, I've been pushing for Scherff, but i'm also willing to sacrifice guys like Weddle, NRC, Everett and another if necessary to free up more CAP space going forward. Signing Glenn at LT means giving up on Noteboom and potentially a less expensive draftee from competing for that starting position, ... signing Whitworth gives us another year to develop our own talent.
jmo.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
1.Coleman Shelton is backup c
2.Chandler Brewer is listed as G.
3.Nate Trewyn c
4.Kolone g
5.Evans T.
6.Havenstien T.
7.Edwards T.
8.Corbett T
9.Noteboom
10. Allen

-Whitworth-
Just saying if all is healthy & your bringing in new Lineman you have to let some players go. Your in the camp of letting Allen go ?? I don’t know. Then is Brewer odd guy out as well ???

Well, obviously it's a bit early to dispose of players before seeing them thru another camp, but my pre-season prognostication has me with 9 OL.

LT) Whitworth, Edwards, a 2'nd.round draft pick, (Noteboom)
LG) Edwards, Evans, Brewer, Trewyn
C) Corbett, Trewyn
RG) Scherff, Brewer, Evans, Trewyn
RT) Havenstein, Evans, (Noteboom)

10 are listed above, but only 9 count against the depth chart until Noteboom returns, then another decision must be made.

I'd have Shelton, Allen & Demby on the Practice Squad. Kolone would be released.
jmo.