Rams Top Free Agent Targets?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Well, obviously it's a bit early to dispose of players before seeing them thru another camp, but my pre-season prognostication has me with 9 OL.

LT) Whitworth, Edwards, a 2'nd.round draft pick, (Noteboom)
LG) Edwards, Evans, Brewer, Trewyn
C) Corbett, Trewyn
RG) Scherff, Brewer, Evans, Trewyn
RT) Havenstein, Evans, (Noteboom)

10 are listed above, but only 9 count against the depth chart until Noteboom returns, then another decision must be made.

I'd have Shelton, Allen & Demby on the Practice Squad. Kolone would be released.
jmo.

I’m cool with a signing of Schreff, but no way imo are The Rams drafting an offensive lineman.

Ram65

Legend
If we re-sign Whitworth for two seasons, my money would be on it being drawn up like Weddle's with an easy year two escape.
Yes, I've been pushing for Scherff, but i'm also willing to sacrifice guys like Weddle, NRC, Everett and another if necessary to free up more CAP space going forward. Signing Glenn at LT means giving up on Noteboom and potentially a less expensive draftee from competing for that starting position, ... signing Whitworth gives us another year to develop our own talent.
jmo.

My point in giving Whitworth a two-year deal was to lower his cap hit by giving him a higher signing bonus divided over the two years. Weddle's deal was really a one year deal with a lower signing bonus. If Rams play Whitworth for a year that only leaves Noteboom with one more year on his contract anyway.

Just looked up Glenn's contract which has one year remaining at $9.5 Million. Heck, he might not be on the trading block but, if he is Rams could/should look at him.

TexasRam

Legend
The Good News is the Niners have less cap space than us

Niners 16M
Rams 23.7

We Need a Sherf or Saffold type run blocker and a Center early in the draft in my book. Havenstein and Edwards can hold down the right side.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Don't we already have a bet on that ?

I like that bet !!! As far as Allen making The Rams roster ?? I’m not sure,but I will say there is something The Rams likes in him.
Austin Blythe just had shoulder surgery,but is a guy Aaron Kromer respects.I do think he can be resigned as a solid backup. That kind of a signing is something I can see,as a good depth move. If he could start 2 seasons at RG/ C then he should be a valued backup.
Last thing I want is The Rams to draft another Brian Allen or Jamal Demby. They are already on the roster with 2 years of experience.

TexasRam

Legend
I am totally on board with Scherff. The Only reason he may shake loose is BECAUSE of the injury concerns. As long as he is healthy down the stretch for us we can close out games and make a run.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Last thing I want is The Rams to draft another Brian Allen or Jamal Demby. They are already on the roster with 2 years of experience.

Since Allen & Demby were taken in the 4'th and 6'th round, I'd agree with no more late round Offensive Linemen for 2020.
I have us taking another OT in the 2'nd round to compete with Noteboom at LT, and that also protects us should Havenstein continue to decline.
jmo.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
How about signing an experienced C instead of converting Corbett?

How about Denver's Connor McGovern? From what I can find he is considered a solid to good center. Seems like the fans want him back there as he is a UFA.

Would rather develop Corbett, Edwards, Evans, and Brewer, than spend $12M on a OG. Might even draft a bigger bodied OG the compete as well, but give me an experienced and young C like McGovern, only 26, instead of crossing my fingers on a guy who is not used to playing the position. That would be a huge mistake.

dang

Legend
I hate to see the Rams throw a lot of money at one player next year. I would prefer they address several needs with the $$$ they have at OC/LT??/DE/ILB.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
How about signing an experienced C instead of converting Corbett?

How about Denver's Connor McGovern? From what I can find he is considered a solid to good center. Seems like the fans want him back there as he is a UFA.

Is McGovern better at pass pro our as a run blocker ? Do you have a PFF grade on him ? I don't know much about the kid other than he did take every Center snap this season. Any projected salary/CAP costs as a long term sign ?

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
To me there are a lot of positions a team can skimp on or plug in young athletic dudes but I said this last year when I was shouting from the rooftops not to let Saffold go. Specifically said it would hurt the offense and its progression especially goff...and it did it hurt the whole offense in general of all the positions on the field you cannot skimp out on is the offensive line especially when you have good players at the skilled positions it's just wasting there talents their years and our cap. Got to improve it even if it means taking a chance with other positions. No line no points no points no wins. We don't exactly have the defense to win us games single handedly but out of the two units we do have an offense that can win us games but we need our line to be strong again and fixed no matter the cost.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I don't get the Sherff love.

Yes, he experienced and a very good player. He also seems to get hurt often, will be very expensive, and we already have a ton of young OG prospects.

What we lack is a true C and a quality LT without any question marks.

So why spend $12M or more on an OG?

Honestly, if we could get a stud Center, so much of our OL would be better. I don't care if it's a rookie (Travis Frederick solidified that OL in Dallas when it was very hit or miss as an example of how a rookie C can change things).

So, whether we make moves like a Fowler tag and trade or what, if we get into the first round, I want that C from Wisconsin, Tyler Biadasz.

Would I be good getting Scherff, no C at all and letting big Whit go? Hell no.

That said, whatever's gonna happen is gonna happen and I'll just ride with what they do.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Rams 2019 defense brought no hits with those tackles. Tackles made yes but most were still going forwards for more yds........:(

it amazes me that at this level, such a fundamental skill isn't practiced, required, or even commonplace. If I was a DC my defense would be tackling or they'd be replaced. I understand that there is concern with injuring yourself or opponents but the Titans hit hard but don't over do it.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Since Allen & Demby were taken in the 4'th and 6'th round, I'd agree with no more late round Offensive Linemen for 2020.
I have us taking another OT in the 2'nd round to compete with Noteboom at LT, and that also protects us should Havenstein continue to decline.
jmo.

I hear what your saying, but when have The Rams drafted a offensive lineman highly ??
Noteboom was a pick,Brown & Havenstein we’re high picks.
Evans was a pick created by trade ?
Robinson was Les Sneads first.

—I’m just going back to Kromers first draft.I’m also going to go back to my believe that the media does not have a insite on Kromers thinking on Allen.

-Maybe they do ?? Corbett at center is a questionable comment ?? When has he played center ?? At Senior Bowl ??

Coleman Shelton being signed might have been a depth thing ?? Austin Blythe is going to be a FA & he got hurt.

When you have Demby starting at RG it doesn’t help Havenstein or Allen. I was upset going in because The Rams sat Allen all preseason. How can that happen, especially when he never established himself. Then having Blythe sit as well because he was going to be the starting RG.

I was already pissed about Blythe starting all season. I thought Noteboom was going to get the starting RG postion right out of training camp his rookie season.
I just go back & look at Kromers first season as The Rams O”line coach.The Rams passed on O”lineman because Kromer had enough confidence in his coaching.The Rams may find a FA ?? I just know what I see from my kind of scouting.
Corbett for a 5th rd pick was a steal. Finding Coleman Shelton for nothing was scouting. Both players held roster spot all season. Corbett looking like the #33 draft pick he was.I don’t think Kromer gives away the experience of his coaching that easy.
By OTA’s before the draft gives all The Rams a step ahead of any draft pick. I was at the last 2 training camps. Demby was horrible his rookie season& Noteboom was
Slow at learning. They both jumped offsides on more than one occasion.Just showed there inexperience.
David Edwards & Bobby Evans were cross-training. They never had a chance to settled.It takes awhile to get rookies up to speed,especially with such a young line. There was a big difference when Noteboom is under the arms with big Whit ,next to John Sullivan & Roger Saffold.The weight room is where it is at with Saffold. Always puts his work in. Noteboom has a solid pop. I just hope he is beefing up while rehabbing.
Look at the average age of these guys ??? What All these doubters & Ram fans come lately don’t understand is how young these guys are.Edwards & Evans both had another season left of college ball.
My question to you is Edwards goes back to Wisconsin does he start at RT or LT ?? Then the question about Bobby Evans at Oklahoma starting at LT. He comes out this year with the experience he just got as a starting RT on a playoff type team. Where does he go in the 2020 draft.
As I said Corbett looks like a #33 draft pick.He is only going to get better. I heard his interview about how he likes to beat the player in front of him all game and break the opponents will.
Demby & Kolone both have another year under there belf as well. It’s all about ascending players for Kromer.The good think about The Rams having a new OC it just helps The Kromers & Dickerson to concentrate more on the development of these young players.

All I know is this is the youngest & most promising group of young Lineman & have ever seen as a Rams fan.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
You are all forgetting about the one man who can save us....Ryan Groy. He is out there, bring him in!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Dyslexia makes a world of difference

Rams OL Ranked #13 by PFF

GO KROMER GO RAMS!

31. Los Angeles Rams

The offensive line was a strength of the Los Angeles Rams’ NFC champion team in 2018, but that changed in a hurry this season. Injuries, shuffling pieces and declining play from players who performed well last season — such as Rob Havenstein — resulted in a pass-blocking unit that allowed a pressure rate four percentage points higher than it did a season ago despite Jared Goff getting rid of the football significantly faster on average and running play action at one of the highest rates in the NFL. Given how much Goff relies on a clean pocket, improving the group up front will be a priority heading into 2020.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
All these ideas about signing free agents for the offensive line. I honestly don't think we will see any big splashes there in free agency. For one, I think they want to accrue more comp picks to help offset the lack of 1st round picks.

For another, Edwards and Evans were pressed into starter duty sooner than expected. Might have struggled early but seemed to improve in pass protection later on. I'm thinking the experience they got this past year is going to help them next year.

Its possible all they need to do is bring back big Whit. Corbett has good potential and wasn't terrible when he played. Noteboom may not have been ready, but he's talented. Havenstein was once a pretty reliable right tackle. No reason to think he can't return to that. And he's under contract for a few more years anyway.

We might not be as bleak on the line as we think. Just tweak some things. Get these guys on the same page and who knows? Because I honestly don't think they are using their limited cap dollars on a more expensive free agent when they've invested in the young guys they have now.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Ranking the NFL's Top 2020 Free Agents at Every Position

View: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2870032-ranking-the-nfls-top-2020-free-agents-at-every-position#slide0

1. Cory Littleton
Cory Littleton has the exact skill set of a modern-day linebacker. At 6'3", 228 pounds, he's not a big thumper. Former Los Angeles Rams defensive coordinator Wade Phillips trusted the fourth-year pro in coverage, blitzes and on early downs against the run, and the Washington product didn't disappoint anywhere.

In 2018, he claimed a starting role and earned Pro Bowl honors, logging 125 tackles, nine for loss, four sacks, 13 pass breakups and three interceptions. The 26-year-old didn't receive a nod for the January All-Star game this year, though his numbers remained relatively consistent across the board. He'll be rewarded on the market if the Rams allow him to walk.

3. Dante Fowler Jr.
Coming off his best campaign, Dante Fowler Jr. should be in line for a lucrative deal close to $20 million annually. He etched his name in the double-digit sack club with 11.5 in 2019. As Pierre-Paul continues to play on the older side of 30 years old, the Rams edge-rusher reaches toward his peak, heading into his sixth season.

This year, Fowler flashed a little more to his game, tallying the second-most tackles for loss (16) on the team behind Aaron Donald. Now that he's shown the quickness to take down ball-carriers for a loss, teams may start to view him as a complete player off the edge.