Rams talking to Austin Blythe about remaining with team

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
I don't know what the Rams best O-Line combination is.

Noteboom and Allen were very below average the first month of the season. Allen hasn't made any consistent strides as far as showing he can put together 2 good games.

Whit because of his age was expected to take a step back but the other 2 veterans named Blythe and Havenstein have been disappointing through 8 games.

The addition of Edwards seems to have helped the pass protection but he had a couple of rookie flags last game.

If we get more of the same against the Steelers and Bears, the Rams will probably end up 8-8.

If this group can get their act together, 12-4 is the high and 11-5 is the low.

usa_today_10280978.0.jpg

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
I could see a change at RG possibly. Either Our newly acquired Austin Corbett or Bobby Evans if he's ready. But I don't think you guys are going to see a change at Center this year.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I don't know what the Rams best O-Line combination is.

Noteboom and Allen were very below average the first month of the season. Allen hasn't made any consistent strides as far as showing he can put together 2 good games.

Whit because of his age was expected to take a step back but the other 2 veterans named Blythe and Havenstein have been disappointing through 8 games.

The addition of Edwards seems to have helped the pass protection but he had a couple of rookie flags last game.

If we get more of the same against the Steelers and Bears, the Rams will probably end up 8-8.

If this group can get their act together, 12-4 is the high and 11-5 is the low.

usa_today_10280978.0.jpg
Center right side is the current biggest problem the center left is not. The 3 starting OL'er @ OC/RG/RT are Allen/ Blythe & Havenstein.

Center
Starting with the starting OC its obvious the Rams Org. believed that this 2018 3rd day draft pick was the answer to one of their two major problems in its season ending 2018 OL. No doubt the weakened & wore down veteran John Robinson needed to be replaced, so they ID the problem.

Was it a serious miscalculation by Ram staff? I say no miscalculation on the non offer to Sullivan.

Many members have stated that Allen was a poor decision based on his performance the last 8 reg season 2019 gms. OC Kromer & OL coach Dickerson had to the main two involved in that decision. Where I have big issues here is, it was made without Allen having any regular season starts in his rookie season or even some longer periods of snaps for several quarters. Mainly made on based on Allen rookie 2018 practice sessions.

So with this Ram Org determination having been established Snead moved on from John Sullivan, declining to pick up his option for the 2019 season. Snead signed OC Aaron Neary on 2/8/19 who had been with the Rams since the initial OTA's of 2017 as a reserve center & interior OL'er. No other UFA centers were signed during free agency. Snead & McVay went into the draft on 4/25/19 what looks like believing that the starting OC post was addressed. No OC was drafted in the 3-day draft.

2 days after the draft Snead signed AAF SD Fleet's starting OC Jeremiah Kolone & UDFA former Youngstown State center Vitas Hrynkiewicz. Kolone was known to Snead & had signed with the Rams as a UDFA early in 2018. Kolone remained with the Rams throughout the 2018 OTA's/ Training Camp & preseason. Released before regular season began. Kolone was mainly a starting OG in college but had a half dozen starts @OC too.

On 8/24/19 Rams preseason starting OC Neary tore up his knee & was replaced by Kolone. Neary was IR'd/SUP & later released. A week later Rams released both Kolone & Hrynkiewicz. Rams went with Brian Allen & Jamil Demby as their powerful experienced duo @ center what could go wrong:palm:.

Last edited:

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Nice read!! Makes me think Allen is the Man at Center again as much as most Ram Fans think other wise

Not that it's saying much but Blythe played Better than Allen. So Yeah I would think Allen could be riding the bench next year unless he has a big leap in play. Who knows tho

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Not that it's saying much but Blythe played Better than Allen. So Yeah I would think Allen could be riding the bench next year unless he has a big leap in play. Who knows tho

I didn't like Brian Allen when the Rams drafted him and his play was uninspired and you could communicate the only time Allen hit somebody, he then fell on Noteboom and inured his ACL/MCL so I would like to keep Brian Allen far away from the offensive line.

Blythe is a Center, much better then Guard and I would be open for him returning at that position, the Rams could also draft a Center with hope he's much better than Allen.

I believe the Rams will spend some money on a LG come free agency maybe Quinton Spain of the Bills and go from there.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Center right side is the current biggest problem the center left is not. The 3 starting OL'er @ OC/RG/RT are Allen/ Blythe & Havenstein.

Center
Starting with the starting OC its obvious the Rams Org. believed that this 2018 3rd day draft pick was the answer to one of their two major problems in its season ending 2018 OL. No doubt the weakened & wore down veteran John Robinson needed to be replaced, so they ID the problem.

Was it a serious miscalculation by Ram staff? I say no miscalculation on the non offer to Sullivan.

Many members have stated that Allen was a poor decision based on his performance the last 8 reg season 2019 gms. OC Kromer & OL coach Dickerson had to the main two involved in that decision. Where I have big issues here is, it was made without Allen having any regular season starts in his rookie season or even some longer periods of snaps for several quarters. Mainly made on based on Allen rookie 2018 practice sessions.

So with this Ram Org determination having been established Snead moved on from John Sullivan, declining to pick up his option for the 2019 season. Snead signed OC Aaron Neary on 2/8/19 who had been with the Rams since the initial OTA's of 2017 as a reserve center & interior OL'er. No other UFA centers were signed during free agency. Snead & McVay went into the draft on 4/25/19 what looks like believing that the starting OC post was addressed. No OC was drafted in the 3-day draft.

2 days after the draft Snead signed AAF SD Fleet's starting OC Jeremiah Kolone & UDFA former Youngstown State center Vitas Hrynkiewicz. Kolone was known to Snead & had signed with the Rams as a UDFA early in 2018. Kolone remained with the Rams throughout the 2018 OTA's/ Training Camp & preseason. Released before regular season began. Kolone was mainly a starting OG in college but had a half dozen starts @OC too.

On 8/24/19 Rams preseason starting OC Neary tore up his knee & was replaced by Kolone. Neary was IR'd/SUP & later released. A week later Rams released both Kolone & Hrynkiewicz. Rams went with Brian Allen & Jamil Demby as their powerful experienced duo @ center what could go wrong:palm:.

blythe was always going to be the backup at center. On Sunday to finish the season against Arizona Brewer came in for Evans at RT !! Big Rob on 53 still was not on the game time roster.

—Cross training is huge !! Even havin Noteboom playing at Guard !! Evans & Edwards still need to cross train.

So True !! Allen is under contract though for another 2 years !! The Rams believed in him, which I think they still do ???

The take Inget from 9 things about Austin Blythe is how he feels about B. Allen !!! Says strength & speed is Allen’s Positive. Then to add Sullivan was checking up on him but I was impressed by Allen’s knowledge of Reading defenses as a young the lineman is impressive. He was also in the off-season on the same page as Jared Goff.
I don’t know call me an optimist but I believe Brian Alan will be fine in the future. His brother is also on an NFL roster where he grasp knowledge from.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So True !! Allen is under contract though for another 2 years !! The Rams believed in him, which I think they still do ???
Who knows. I'm of the mind that the Rams have no choice in the matter but to ensure they have another option. He was not good enough before his injury, his strength in particular was disappointing so can he pull an SJD this offseason?

Rams can't plan on that. They have to go worst case and get some competition going at the least at center.

I will say once again though that you can get away with a so-so center in the NFL if your guards are good enough. So that bears watching but you can bet competition will be the theme next camp and not only at center.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I will say once again though that you can get away with a so-so center in the NFL if your guards are good enough. So that bears watching but you can bet competition will be the theme next camp and not only at center.

Increased competition is very likely, what also concerns me are the judgements which called for starting Noteboom & Allen first without the benefit of playing during the pre-season, then Demby to be the first one off the bench.

dang

Legend
Beef up the OL run game and good things will happen. too much talent of the Rams offense to waste on a pathetic run game.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Rams OL god pushed around all season long. OL lost at the LOS every game. Not one game did the Rams OL dominate another teams D. Not once.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Rams OL god pushed around all season long. OL lost at the LOS every game. Not one game did the Rams OL dominate another teams D. Not once.

I'm sorry, did you say something, ... I was too busy watching Taylor calling me pathetic.
Damn I shouldn't take things so personal ...

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Watching these last few games, I think its clear Blythe is a better center than guard. And he's also a better center than Allen. But being so tight up against the cap, I'm not sure they bring Blythe back. He's surely going to cost more than the 800K Allen will get this year.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
McVay says he wants to really evaluate and learn from why our running game crapped out this year. Hopefully that means making building an OL priority #1. Whatever it takes to refocus capital on that issue hopefully gets done.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
McVay says he wants to really evaluate and learn from why our running game crapped out this year. Hopefully that means making building an OL priority #1. Whatever it takes to refocus capital on that issue hopefully gets done.
It's not always about, "capital".
It has way more to do with coaching, proper system and continuity once you find players that are above average.
It really helps if each player is playing in the position that he is best at.
Blythe was never an above-average guard but he is an above-average Center.
He anchors well in pass protection and can get to the second level in run blocking.
But he never had the range for sweeps and outside runs.
He's also about 20 lbs. too light for a guard.
You always want your Center to play mistake-free football which is one of his fortes.
Just like Noteboom was never a guard but he might be a above-average tackle.
I see absolutely no reason that they shouldn't continue with the offensive line they were having some success with this year.
Just start out with Noteboom at left tackle, if healthy.
Either trade Havenstein or keep him at right tackle and try Evans at left tackle.
Re-sign Blythe.

These guys now have some games under their belts and they have plenty of tape on them so they can help coach them up.
You can't really underestimate continuity on the offensive line unless you want to go through another half a season waiting for the offensive line to gel.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
It has way more to do with coaching, proper system and continuity once you find players that are above average.
It really helps if each player is playing in the position that he is best at.
Blythe was never an above-average guard but he is an above-average Center.
He anchors well in pass protection and can get to the second level in run blocking.
But he never had the range for sweeps and outside runs.
He's also about 20 lbs. too light for a guard.
You always want your Center to play mistake-free football which is one of his fortes.
Just like Noteboom was never a guard but he might be a above-average tackle.
I see absolutely no reason that they shouldn't continue with the offensive line they were having some success with this year.
Just start out with Noteboom at left tackle, if healthy.
Either trade Havenstein or keep him at right tackle and try Evans at left tackle.
Re-sign Blythe.

These guys now have some games under their belts and they have plenty of tape on them so they can help coach them up.
You can't really underestimate continuity on the offensive line unless you want to go through another half a season waiting for the offensive line to gel.

Blythe may be too expensive to re-sign. And while he is cross-trained, he's pretty deficient as an OG. This may be Blythe's last opportunity for a decent pay raise as some team in need may be willing to pay him starting money.
If he's lucky, perhaps he can hammer out a career similar to Wisnieski's.
jmo.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
<snip>

Totally agree, but I'm not pitting one idea against the other. If we're wise we'll do all the above, plus not make the same mistake as prior to this year by trying to scrimp on player aquisition. They need to be on the team before they can develop the chemistry, etc. As we figured out this year, NFL defenses are no joke.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Watching these last few games, I think its clear Blythe is a better center than guard. And he's also a better center than Allen. But being so tight up against the cap, I'm not sure they bring Blythe back. He's surely going to cost more than the 800K Allen will get this year.

well said !! Whitworth is key imo, then let the rest play out . If Blythe is the guy so be it ??? I’m not sure about Allen, because I was having a problem watching the Offensive Line !! Blythe as a starting RG going into the season was hard to watch again.
This Young group has been fun to watch. I think they will develop into a solid line. Resources need to be put on the DEFENSE!!! The offense was starting to click !!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Blythe may be too expensive to re-sign. And while he is cross-trained, he's pretty deficient as an OG. This may be Blythe's last opportunity for a decent pay raise as some team in need may be willing to pay him starting money.
If he's lucky, perhaps he can hammer out a career similar to Wisnieski's.
jmo.

will see what his value is on the open market ?? 2 different players !! Especially draft wise ??

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Totally agree, but I'm not pitting one idea against the other. If we're wise we'll do all the above, plus not make the same mistake as prior to this year by trying to scrimp on player aquisition. They need to be on the team before they can develop the chemistry, etc. As we figured out this year, NFL defenses are no joke.

With OTA’s and a full offseason for Evans & Edwards I can see a lot of improvement.

— Can The Rams trade Big Rob ???