Rams talking to Austin Blythe about remaining with team

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
He became a sieve up the middle of late.I think Noteboom is the better player & might have replaced him if Midseason !!

He has played well at times , but he won’t help The Rams get to the SuperBowl next season if not replaced.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Blythe was very bad tonight but otherwise had a strong season. I'm glad he's a Ram. The real mistake was letting Jamon Brown go. When Blythe was struggling, it would have been good to have some depth on the offensive line to give him a reprieve and, if he continued to struggle, sub him out. We had no such option because the front offense for some reason thought it would be good to get rid of our (quality) depth in the trenches. And we got lucky with injuries this year! What if the offensive line suffered some games lost to injury? That would have been even worse. Big, big mistake by the Rams front office, which overall had quite a strong season with their additions vs. subtractions. It made no sense at the time and made even less sense in hindsight.

EDIT - People are saying it was to do Brown a solid as he was sitting on the bench. Sorry. We're in the business of winning Super Bowls. Not looking out for Jamon Brown's interests as an individual. We not me. Brown is young and was a very capable lineman for us and his tape proved that. He would have landed on his feet regardless. Again, big mistake letting him go.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One bad game doesn't erase a season's worth of good play.

fearsomefour

Legend
Blythe was very bad tonight but otherwise had a strong season. I'm glad he's a Ram. The real mistake was letting Jamon Brown go. When Blythe was struggling, it would have been good to have some depth on the offensive line to give him a reprieve and, if he continued to struggle, sub him out. We had not such option because the front offense for some reason thought it would be good to get rid of depth in the trenches. And we got lucky with injuries this year! What if the offensive line suffered some games lost to injury? Big mistake by the Rams front office, which overall had quite a strong season with their additions vs. subtractions.
Brown was a liability every time he was on the field.
Blythe was tonight.
But he is a better player and or fit for what the Rams do.
Competition for Blythe would be fine but Noteboom does not seem a physical player to me. Allen? Maybe. Someone else via FA or the draft? Maybe.
I would be surprised if there were any changes there.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Blythe was tonight.
Competition for Blythe would be fine but Noteboom does not seem a physical player to me. Allen? Maybe. Someone else via FA or the draft? Maybe.

Brown was far from a liability. Far from it. Come on.

I agree Blythe is better than Brown but it couldn't have hurt to have Brown in horns tonight to see what he could do when Blythe was struggling.

fearsomefour

Legend
Brown was far from a liability. Far from it. Come on.

I agree Blythe is better than Brown but it couldn't have hurt to have Brown in horns tonight to see what he could do when Blythe was struggling.
I would have rather kept him for depth as well.
But, Brown was have major lapses in pass protection.
Yes, I know that's what happened with Blythe tonight. I just don't know if you replace him with a guy with the same issues.
Maybe Brown could have held up better because Blythe seem to get over powered at times.
He's not here. I wish him well. Blythe is better.
Too bad Blythe wasn't or couldn't carry 30 more lbs.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Over reaction day is in full affect. We absolutely should resign Saffold and draft a mid round guy to develop and maybe even start next year. But Blythe was amazing all year no need to dump him after a bad game. They happen.

TexasRam

Legend
Blythe plays at a near all-pro bowl level while making less than 1 million per year I believe.

He is going nowhere and is a huge part of the reason the Rams played in the Super Bowl.

Do we also cut Brandin Cooks since he dropped the winning TD twice?

No. Players aren't perfect, especially against the Elite players and schemes.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
One bad game doesn't erase a season's worth of good play.
He played crappy against the Saints as well.
I thought that was one of the Kay’s to the game. Sure enough he got exposed again.

Copy cat league

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Blythe was tonight.

Noteboom is a STUD !! He is very very physical !!!!’ He will blow a player up.

The thing with Noteboom is he is solid backup LT. He is by far a better ascending player than Austin Blythe. Blythe will go up against Allen next season for the backup G/C.

I believe though if John Sullivan went down Noteboom starts at RG ?? We may never know ?? Thanks to the 5 starters staying healthy.
This will be a interesting offseason up front. What happens to Saffold as well ??

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I would have rather kept him for depth as well.
But, Brown was have major lapses in pass protection.
Yes, I know that's what happened with Blythe tonight. I just don't know if you replace him with a guy with the same issues.
Maybe Brown could have held up better because Blythe seem to get over powered at times.
He's not here. I wish him well. Blythe is better.
Too bad Blythe wasn't or couldn't carry 30 more lbs.

I think Blythe is a better center than a guard. A little slow lately. I do believe Noteboom is the better player !! That said Blythe held up well all season. I definitely think The Rams need an upgrade.

Demby is a little slow as well , but will see what hard work can do this offseason.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
P
Over reaction day is in full affect. We absolutely should resign Saffold and draft a mid round guy to develop and maybe even start next year. But Blythe was amazing all year no need to dump him after a bad game. They happen.

Agree on Saffold. The Rams need to build there depth. Drafting 3 offensive lineman was a start. Is Allen a reach ?? Sullivan is signed for one more season. Noteboom is the LT of the future. At what point is cross training the key to get the best 5 on the field ??

My point is Noteboom might have replaced Blythe if these are not playoff games. It was obvious these last 2 games Blythe was a hazard to Goff getting hit & not even being able to get out of the pocket. He sort of got exposed.
It’s the offseason now. Yes by now all teams are thinking about the draft. Combine is this month ?? When does 2019 start ?? A month ??

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
And he'll trade it for a big bag of The Weed!

Give him props for trying to get his crap together. Addiction isn’t always the easiest of things. We can all talk all the crap we want. He still was apart of the 2018/19 Super Bowl Champs. —Deserving !!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Blythe plays at a near all-pro bowl level while making less than 1 million per year I believe.

He is going nowhere and is a huge part of the reason the Rams played in the Super Bowl.

Do we also cut Brandin Cooks since he dropped the winning TD twice?

No. Players aren't perfect, especially against the Elite players and schemes.

Goff has Cooks on the INT if he leads him.Was real late on the pass to Cooks.
The one to tie the game up he should have had. Goff threw a dime. Gordon would have caught it. Throw him a dime & he catches it every time.
Goff didn’t have time on the iNT. Not sure why ?? Will watch the SuperBowl again. I truly have not seen enough game tape this season. Just noticed Blythe getting beat these last 2 games badly. Who knows, maybe he was hurt ??
All Pro level is a serious stretch for Sure !!
The contract as a starter is special & staying healthy & holding up all season, I’ll give him props !! Deserves a lot of credit for the season he had .
The bar is now set as SuperBowl Champions though !!! The Rams were on the Cusps of winning it all. Miss Copper Kupp. Really like his play. Him Mic’d up this year would be a cool clip to have posted !!

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Today’s show is bought to you by the number 8 and the letter O for overeaction .. ready for some fun kids ?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The bigger concern is McVay having no answer. Continually having the line abused all game shouldn’t happen. The Patriots blew up the ZBS, that was supposedly their Achilles heel.

So when that happens what do you do? Don’t run into it. He adjusted late. The pass blocking was bad because the Patriots are very good at disguising where pressure is coming from. They stunt a lot. They blitz a lot and disguise where it is coming from. Goff was confused.

Blythe isn’t elite,he was caught on his heels when the stunt kept going through his gap. Belichick or Scarnecchia saw something to exploit. Maybe they saw that Blythe isn’t quick enough or something.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Noteboom is a STUD !! He is very very physical !!!!’ He will blow a player up.
I laugh at him being called physical. Though he is talented, he goes 2.5 seconds and then is off his man.....he has great feet, great intelligence, great body, but lacks the 'other'. He may work well as a LT, but I wonder about him as a guard all game long against 325 monsters. McVay knows....