Rams sign QB Blake Bortles to one year deal

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

giphy.gif

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm in the boat the backup should be a rookie a 1st - 2nd year player. It's not like these old veterans everyone seems to want make their teams still play at the same level if they have to play.

Counterpoint: Nick Foles and Case Keenum

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
Wow! Love this move. We upgrade our backup QB and I think this team can help resurrect Bortles career.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
jrry, RamFan503, myself, and nightrain going shirtless over Blake Bortles....

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
I like it. Well, depending on how much money I like it. Immediately becomes arguably the best backup qb in nfl. Hopefully never have to see him but we could do a lot worse.
Bortles seems to me to be about as good of a backup as you could hope for. Not a noodle arm, not someone who has never played, or never played well in big games, not an aging vet. While he hasn't consistently shown high performance as a starter, I'm hoping that he will blossom with work on his mechanics to help with consistent accuracy and great coaching on reads to help decision making. Physically he seems to have what it takes. He's certainly got a good enough arm and he's a tall strong dude with some ability to run.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
*Wonders if he's the only one who views this signing as competition and not insurance*

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bortles seems to me to be about as good of a backup as you could hope for. Not a noodle arm, not someone who has never played, or never played well in big games, not an aging vet. While he hasn't consistently shown high performance as a starter, I'm hoping that he will blossom with work on his mechanics to help with consistent accuracy and great coaching on reads to help decision making. Physically he seems to have what it takes. He's certainly got a good enough arm and he's a tall strong dude with some ability to run.

I don't think anyone will ever fix his throwing motion or his streaky accuracy, but McVay can get solid play out of him. When Bortles has good protection and a good running game, he's competent. We have the protection, weapons, running game, and scheme to get solid play out of him if disaster strikes.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
*Wonders if he's the only one who views this signing as competition and not insurance*

Interesting thought. Signing Bortles the season before Goff is supposedly due for a large contract extension.

I don't think Goff is the type to need external motivation tho.

dang

Legend
One less thing to worry about. RB1B next - Malcolm Brown? CJ Anderson? Other? Someone who can carry 35% of the load - not just mop up duty.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Interesting thought. Signing Bortles the season before Goff is supposedly due for a large contract extension.

I don't think Goff is the type to need external motivation tho.
I don't think Goff needs to feel the heat either in order to perform at peak levels. My only line of thinking is in how McVay doesn't seem to have any loyalty to players simply because he thinks they're cool or *supposed to be* the top of the food chain at their respective positions. He plays the hot hand regardless of who the player is that's hot or cold. If Goff cools at any point in the season, I could totally see McVay playing Bortles just to see what shakes loose. And if Bortles plays well, then I just don't see McVay going back to Goff simply because he's Goff.

Let's not misunderstand me though, people. I'm not saying Bortles was brought in to replace Goff. I'm simply saying that he's not looking for a backup in as much as he's looking for someone who can start and keep starting if need be. Even if there's no injuries involved.

Or not. The fuck do I know?