Rams sign QB Blake Bortles to one year deal

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I hope they offer Bortles a bag of peanuts and a diet soda. I'm at a loss with the Rams even bringing this guy in for a visit. He was one of the worst QB's in the league, I just don't get it

dang

Legend
No one is going to offer Bortles more than $6.5m this year to be a backup. So Bortles should be looking for a team that is willing to offer him a 2 year contract and provides the best coaching to keep his skills in demand (even if its only as a backup). Since Mannion would likely cost the Rams $1.5M - $2M - I could see them offering Bortles a 2 year/$5M contract that nets him $6.5M (Rams for $2.5M/Fins for $4M) this year and $2.5M next year.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hope they offer Bortles a bag of peanuts and a diet soda. I'm at a loss with the Rams even bringing this guy in for a visit. He was one of the worst QB's in the league, I just don't get it

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BortBl00.htm

Bortles didn't have a great year last year, but would be the perfect backup QB. Check out his career stats.

For the last three years, he had arguably the worst group of WRs in the NFL. The one year he had a legit number one WR and he threw 35 TDs. He's also never had a great offensive coach.

For the Rams, he'd have a mixture of his WRs from 2015, his running game from 2017, the best coach and most likely the best OL he's ever had.

In other words - we would be better in every facet around him than the team he was on when he threw 35 TDs. IMO he would instantly become the best backup QB in the NFL, and if the unspeakable should happen, I would still feel like we could win.

Ken

Starter
Name
Ken Morris
I support signing Bortles for the right price. I think he would make a good backup QB. If he really wants to play for the Rams (and the Rams want him) we should be hearing something about an agreement within the next 2-3 hours. If he leaves the facility to interview elsewhere it's probably not going to happen.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BortBl00.htm

Bortles didn't have a great year last year, but would be the perfect backup QB. Check out his career stats.

For the last three years, he had arguably the worst group of WRs in the NFL. The one year he had a legit number one WR and he threw 35 TDs. He's also never had a great offensive coach.

For the Rams, he'd have a mixture of his WRs from 2015, his running game from 2017, the best coach and most likely the best OL he's ever had.

In other words - we would be better in every facet around him than the team he was on when he threw 35 TDs. IMO he would instantly become the best backup QB in the NFL, and if the unspeakable should happen, I would still feel like we could win.
Or he could struggle to learn a new offense and not be worth much to us until the 2020 season. Even so, he is not expected to play any meaningful snaps barring injury to Goff, in which case we are screwed.

Honestly, I'm not interested much in the backup QB. I am more interested in who might be our third QB. Someone we draft who can be developed over a couple of years.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Correct. The new team pays the full value of their offer. If that value is less than 6.5 million, Jacksonville pays the difference. So on an 8 million dollar deal, we would pay all 8. The benefit to us here, is that if nobody offers more than 6.5 million, there's no real reason to pay more than the minimum allowed. Now, this only impacts the first year in any multi-year scenarios.

Well, if no one offers more than 6.5 mil I would open to offering him a small amount to be backup for one year. I'm hearing wherever he goes it will be as a backup. I don't know if these guys consider who the starter is and likelihood of an injury to that starter. Goff has shown a history of staying healthy and not missing games. Some guys just have a knack for absorbing hits without serious injury. Look at Russell Wilson. Goff might be one of those too.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Or he could struggle to learn a new offense and not be worth much to us until the 2020 season. Even so, he is not expected to play any meaningful snaps barring injury to Goff, in which case we are screwed.

Honestly, I'm not interested much in the backup QB. I am more interested in who might be our third QB. Someone we draft who can be developed over a couple of years.

We don't have to be screwed. A backup QB won the Super Bowl recently. Bortles could do that for us - our team around the QB is good enough.

dang

Legend
One of the worst "starting" QBs in the NFL? Because he will not be a starter for anyone going into the 2019 season. I feel he would be a solid backup QB should we need him for a short period of time.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
IMO he would instantly become the best backup QB in the NFL

I support signing Bortles for the right price. I think he would make a good backup QB. If he really wants to play for the Rams (and the Rams want him) we should be hearing something about an agreement within the next 2-3 hours. If he leaves the facility to interview elsewhere it's probably not going to happen.

I always preferred Johnny Fuckballs.

One of the worst "starting" QBs in the NFL? Because he will not be a starter for anyone going into the 2019 season. I feel he would be a solid backup QB should we need him for a short period of time.

I think he is going to get a starting job with a team that is going to draft a QB in the next draft or two, he will be the bridge QB for the rookie.

He may not have to take a backup job IMO.

MIA and WASH have a need at QB. TENN and TMP can't be satisfied with their top draft picks after this many seasons of being mediocre. If I am the GM at these teams I'm looking at QB this draft or next draft at the latest.

Even the Giants may make a move, Manning is finished and they are in rebuild mode so a bridge QB would make sense.

And also, Elway likes to collect guys like this evidently LOL.

What I am saying is that he may get an offer from some team that is more than what a backup would get paid.

Petrowsky

Rookie
Name
Petrowsky
I think he is going to get a starting job with a team that is going to draft a QB in the next draft or two, he will be the bridge QB for the rookie.

He may not have to take a backup job IMO.

MIA and WASH have a need at QB. TENN and TMP can't be satisfied with their top draft picks after this many seasons of being mediocre. If I am the GM at these teams I'm looking at QB this draft or next draft at the latest.

Even the Giants may make a move, Manning is finished and they are in rebuild mode so a bridge QB would make sense.

And also, Elway likes to collect guys like this evidently LOL.

What I am saying is that he may get an offer from some team that is more than what a backup would get paid.
Didn’t Miami and Washington already get their bridge QBs in Keenum and Fitzpatrick?

Last edited:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

I'm in the boat the backup should be a rookie a 1st - 2nd year player. It's not like these old veterans everyone seems to want make their teams still play at the same level if they have to play.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Anyone know how it went??? Or is going?

Psycho_X

Legend
I like it. Well, depending on how much money I like it. Immediately becomes arguably the best backup qb in nfl. Hopefully never have to see him but we could do a lot worse.