Rams sign QB Blake Bortles to one year deal

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bortles is a good guy. And he left the partying stuff in the past. It just didn't work in Jax. It's too bad.

dang

Legend
I think a 2 year deal for Bortles makes sense...allowing the Rams to assess the mid rounds (4/5) in the next 2 drafts to pick up another QB.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Not playing well under pressure, not completing passes, throwing interceptions, and poor decision making is the same no matter whether it’s with the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd team. Using that is just an excuse, a good QB would rise above it, instead Mannion collapsed.

Yeah, I get it, just like Goff in his rookie season under Fisher.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Rotoworld

Rams signed QB Blake Bortles, formerly of the Jaguars, to a one-year contract.

The Broncos and Ravens also reportedly had interest in Bortles, but no team with an opening atop its depth chart showed any interest in the former No. 3 overall pick. He'll spend 2019 backing up Jared Goff, replacing Sean Mannion, who is also a free agent. Goff has never missed a game to injury, but at least the Rams are better off now with Bortles than with Mannion.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Jeremy-Renner.gif

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
I think a 2 year deal for Bortles makes sense...allowing the Rams to assess the mid rounds (4/5) in the next 2 drafts to pick up another QB.

I was hoping it would be a 2 year deal but apparently it is only a one year deal. Just curious, if Bortles really shines as Goff’s backup will the Rams be able to keep him (Tags?) if they want or what if he does so well that another team wants to offer a deal the Rams can’t refuse? Since it is a 1 year deal is it just too bad and Bortles just moves on?

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I was hoping it would be a 2 year deal but apparently it is only a one year deal. Just curious, if Bortles really shines as Goff’s backup will the Rams be able to keep him (Tags?) if they want or what if he does so well that another team wants to offer a deal the Rams can’t refuse? Since it is a 1 year deal is it just too bad and Bortles just moves on?
if he shines and he leaves we get a comp pick. Win Win

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
If Bortles only signs a one year contract, gotta think the Rams will draft a QB somewhere between rounds 3 and 5 this year, then coach him up so he can serve as the backup in 2020...right?

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
An excellent move I did not expect.

How nice it is to be "back in the saddle again".

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like it. I'm one of many who have been posting about needing a backup QB upgrade for a long time, so now it's done. I would have liked a longer contract - minimum this year, guaranteed roster bonus next year - but he likely thinks he can pick up a bigger contract and a chance of starting next season, and I can dig that. Since it's a one year contract, I think that pretty much guarantees the Rams using a pick on a QB this year. That way they have a season to evaluate, at least a bit.