Rams sign QB Blake Bortles to one year deal

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
And yet I’m still going with McVay & Co.’s evaluation of Mannion and/or who they think is the team’s best option.

I had heard at the time Mannion was drafted that the Rams grabbed him when they did be cause a couple other teams were likely to grab him.

It seems to be revisionist history to fit a narrative that one QB lasted until the 3rd when another was picked 2 or 3 full rounds too early.

As I’ve said, I’m fine with the Rams moving on from him if that’s what they decide. But I watched pretty much every college snap Mannion ever took. And he didn’t set the Pacific conference passing record behind the worst O-line in the conference, mediocre RBs, and pretty much only Cooks and Wheaton for a portion of his career, because he couldn’t play football.

Several draft gurus gave the Rams high marks for drafting him where they did. Cousins was considered a late rounds pick for the most part. Both were lauded for their intelligence and experience in a pro style offense but Mannion’s mobility and Cousins’ lack of accuracy and mistake prone play dropped them down to the third and fourth round. I do remember Cousins improving his stock during the combine and senior bowl but that had him possibly climbing into the second round. If Mannion hadn’t lost both Cooks and Wheaton for his senior year, he could have snuck into the first round.

But bottom line is what you do when you get there. So far for Mannion the answer is not much. I suppose we’ll see when or if he gets some real starts. If that never happens, it won’t be the first time a 3rd rounder and great college QB doesn’t pan out.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Mannion hadn’t lost both Cooks and Wheaton for his senior year, he could have snuck into the first round.

Everybody has an opinion. I've never hid mine on Mannion. Others didn't/don't agree with me. That's fine. However, Mannion never would have been a first round pick. I say that with total confidence.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
But bottom line is what you do when you get there. So far for Mannion the answer is not much. I suppose we’ll see when or if he gets some real starts. If that never happens, it won’t be the first time a 3rd rounder and great college QB doesn’t pan out.

What's funny is Mannion was never a fit for McVay and the WCO. He doesn't move well and is inaccurate. Bortles moves well for his size (could have been a TE probably) but is also inaccurate. I think McVay could make him look better of course, but I just don't see him being a fit.

Granted we're talking backup here. But I've also read some stuff (can't remember where) that alluded to Bortles being a bit of a party boy and not liking film work. So let's wait and see how the visit goes tomorrow before we all assume this thing's gonna get done. :D

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
So what's the over/under for how long it takes for Bill Barnwell to respond to this by writing an article speculating that this means the Rams don't have full confidence in Goff?

Or the inevitable article from Mike Foolio at BSpn.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
How much time does a head coach spend with a backup quarterback though let's be realistic

Under Fisher? None. Surprised Fisher knew his name.

Under McVay? Plenty.

Still getting used to all the many things McVay brings to the job.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
So if Bridgewater signed for $7.25MM

And Fitzpatrick signed for $6.0MM

Where does that put Bortles?

Saints outbid Dolphins for Bridgewater because the Dolphins wanted Teddy to be their starter and Fitzpatrick also signed to be the starter. Bortles would be the backup and the Rams could load the contract with incentives.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Have you ever seen Mannion play with the First team in training camp?
Not playing well under pressure, not completing passes, throwing interceptions, and poor decision making is the same no matter whether it’s with the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd team. Using that is just an excuse, a good QB would rise above it, instead Mannion collapsed.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

fearsomefour

Legend
Would much rather use the money Bortles would cost to add another LB or an OL or vet DL.
That said the team is probably screwed if Goff goes down. I'm not sure Bortles changes that equation.

lordbannon

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Isn’t Jacksonville on the hook for Bortles salary this year any way? At least they have to pay the difference between what he signs for and what they owe?
Maybe I read it wrong.

Up to $6.5 million. So if he doesn't get an offer of more than $6.5 million, it doesn't matter (to his income - who knows how it would matter to his pride) if he is offered the minimum, or $6.49 million. Same cash either way.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Up to $6.5 million. So if he doesn't get an offer of more than $6.5 million, it doesn't matter (to his income - who knows how it would matter to his pride) if he is offered the minimum, or $6.49 million. Same cash either way.
So the Rams could offer 8 mill and only pay him 1.5?

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
So the Rams could offer 8 mill and only pay him 1.5?
If I understand this correctly, let’s say the Rams paid Bortles 5 million, the Jaguars would only owe him 1.5 million. So if we signed him for 8 million we’d have to pay him all 8 million.

lordbannon

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If I understand this correctly, let’s say the Rams paid Bortles 5 million, the Jaguars would only owe him 1.5 million. So if we signed him for 8 million we’d have to pay him all 8 million.

Correct. The new team pays the full value of their offer. If that value is less than 6.5 million, Jacksonville pays the difference. So on an 8 million dollar deal, we would pay all 8. The benefit to us here, is that if nobody offers more than 6.5 million, there's no real reason to pay more than the minimum allowed. Now, this only impacts the first year in any multi-year scenarios.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Not many of us at the welcome party at LAX this morning, and, while I'm still a bit emotional, and disappointed in you guys, I'll still post pics. I will say, we welcomed Bortles with open arms, and the environment was absolutely ELECTRIC!!!

1 Bortles.jpg

Bortles II.jpg

Bortles.jpg

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Not playing well under pressure, not completing passes, throwing interceptions, and poor decision making is the same no matter whether it’s with the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd team. Using that is just an excuse, a good QB would rise above it, instead Mannion collapsed.
I’m not going to defend his pro career but throwing interceptions isn’t really valid. He has one int and a 62% completion rate in his pro career.

Funny thing is that most draft scouts talked about him being an accurate passer. That’s not a tag I would have used for him coming out of college. Decent accuracy - yes. But not necessarily a strength from what I saw. It’s part of the whole package I saw in Cooks. Everyone talked about him taking the top off the defense but the vast majority of his yards came in YAK yards. Mannion was good at getting him the ball with space and certainly hit him long from time to time but...

Regardless, Mannion has to prove up. That is and will be on him if he gets that chance.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Everybody has an opinion. I've never hid mine on Mannion. Others didn't/don't agree with me. That's fine. However, Mannion never would have been a first round pick. I say that with total confidence.
Duly noted. I’m just regurgitating draft analysis from when he came out of college. It was a pretty weak QB class so if he had put up another year like his Junior year, I wouldn’t have been surprised to see it.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Correct. The new team pays the full value of their offer. If that value is less than 6.5 million, Jacksonville pays the difference. So on an 8 million dollar deal, we would pay all 8. The benefit to us here, is that if nobody offers more than 6.5 million, there's no real reason to pay more than the minimum allowed. Now, this only impacts the first year in any multi-year scenarios.
Got it. Thanks!
And I wouldn't pay him 8 mill....