Rams sign QB Blake Bortles to one year deal

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nooooo... but probably better than Mannion (sigh). How much?

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
As a backup, and considering what’s out there, I’m okay with it. But it doesn’t exactly give me goosebumps.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
If the price is right.

giphy.gif

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

He's better than mannion. Or is he?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Surprises me given his inaccuracy. But it's all good provided he is cheap.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I think as our back up, its a good fit. Feel much better w/ Bortles having to play a few games vs. Mannion if called upon

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If they sign Bortles and then draft Easton Stick, I’m not reading any more of @jrry32 mock off season threads because it ruins the surprise. Lol

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...er-jaguars-qb-blake-bortles-set-to-visit-rams

Two days later and roughly 3,000 miles away, Blake Bortles seems to have found himself a suitor.

Bortles, who was released by the Jacksonville Jaguars on Wednesday, is scheduled to visit the Los Angeles Rams on Monday, NFL Network's Michael Silver reported, per a team source, on Friday evening.

The former first-round pick could be a veteran backup for starter Jared Goff.

The No. 3 overall pick in the 2014 NFL Draft by the Jaguars, Bortles went 24-49 as a starter in Jacksonville. He's coming off a forgettable season in 2018 in which he was 3-9 as a first-stringer with 2,718 yards passing, 13 touchdowns and 11 interceptions. Still, he's a quarterback with five years of starting experience who helped the Jaguars to the AFC Championship Game in 2017, which is a fine resume for any reserve QB.

Goff started all 16 games during the Rams' run to the Super Bowl, throwing all but seven of the team's passes in 2018. Punter Johnny Hekker tossed four passes and backup QB Sean Mannion threw three.

Mannion is now a free agent. Currently, the Rams' only other quarterback on the roster is Brandon Allen, who coincidentally is also a former Jaguars draft pick.

So Bortles might be heading to a title contender.

Perhaps it's fitting. Bortles was released by Jacksonville after it signed former Super Bowl MVP Nick Foles and now he might be backing up the quarterback of the Super Bowl runner-up.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
You can have a hell of a lot worse backups than a guy with his experience. If Goff goes down, I would still feel good.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thoughts?

giphy.gif

Could not disagree more. I think this has the potential to be a brilliant move. We're buying low on a guy who has had a couple solid to good years as a starting QB. With McVay's coaching and scheming, we could flip him for a pick in the future. I see it like Nick Foles rehabbing his career in KC and Philly. And the great thing is if Goff gets hurt, I think Bortles can fill in well enough that our season isn't ruined.

Hell, look at Kirk Cousins' stats before McVay took over as OC.

If they sign Bortles and then draft Easton Stick, I’m not reading any more of @jrry32 mock off season threads because it ruins the surprise. Lol

Well, if we sign Bortles, I don't think we draft Stick (unless he falls to like the 6th or 7th round).

kmramsfan

Old School Ram Fan
Name
Keith
A decent (barely) get for no more than a nickle. He has had at least some (a stretch) success.
Mannion has shown nothing. Evah.

TXRams86

The Infamous
if we can get him for cheap, this is a great security blanket if goff goes down. i wouldn't feel like the season is lost, but i also wouldn't think he'd lead us to a superbowl. he would definitely be one of the better back ups in the league.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am so underwhelmed by Bortles, but Mannion terrifies me. Maybe Shawn Hill needs a job?