Rams sign QB Blake Bortles to one year deal

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's thrown about 50 passes, and a lot with starters sitting. It's hard to judge on that small of a sample size.

At what price would you take Bortles?

Ideally, we could get him on a 2 or 3 year deal at $3 million or $4 million per year. Respectfully, it's easy to see Mannion doesn't have the goods. And I've felt that way about him since he was coming out of college.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

He gains the opportunity to stay in the league, be developed by McVay, play for a winner, and potentially rehab his value. Sitting on a couch in 2019 isn't going to earn him another contract. If Bortles isn't losing anything, it makes plenty of sense for him to sign a cheap deal to try and have McVay rehab his value.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
He gains the opportunity to stay in the league, be developed by McVay, play for a winner, and potentially rehab his value. Sitting on a couch in 2019 isn't going to earn him another contract. If Bortles isn't losing anything, it makes plenty of sense for him to sign a cheap deal to try and have McVay rehab his value.

What jrry32 just said.

One last thing. All Ram fans have seen first hand what can happen to young QB’s when they are in an environment lacking decent, much less good coaches to develop them. Bortles has been such a “victim” with the Jags, IMO.

McVay is not merely good at this, he is among the very best. So if Bortles is thinking long term career wise, then working under McVay and these coaches for a short time could be a golden opportunity. If I were his agent, or his dad, I would be strongly recommending such a move.

TexasRam

Legend
tenor.gif

Kevin

Pro Bowler
What jrry32 just said.

One last thing. All Ram fans have seen first hand what can happen to young QB’s when they are in an environment lacking decent, much less good coaches to develop them. Bortles has been such a “victim” with the Jags, IMO.

McVay is not merely good at this, he is among the very best. So if Bortles is thinking long term career wise, then working under McVay and these coaches for a short time could be a golden opportunity. If I were his agent, or his dad, I would be strongly recommending such a move.
Respectfully, if McVay is a genius at developing QBs, how did he fail so miserably with Mannion? I love McVay as a head coach but he is not a miracle worker.

dang

Legend
Bortles inconsistency is a mystery but I know for a fact he has shown some grit and clutch play in his 5 years in the NFL. I don't recall (other than Allan Robinson) him having much to work with at the WR/TE positions. Even Vortles knows no one is going to want to go into 2019 with him penciled in as their starting QB. With that said perhaps he wants in on an organization trending upwards with solid coaching that allows his to stabilize his career. Life as a valued backup QB ain't bad.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Respectfully, if McVay is a genius at developing QBs, how did he fail so miserably with Mannion? I love McVay as a head coach but he is not a miracle worker.

You presume that Mannion hasn't hit his ceiling.

I don't know that. He may have. In that case, there's not much more McVay can do.

He could sign me. NO amount of McVay's Miracle Motivation and Mentoring could make me into a HS QB, let alone an NFL QB.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Unlike Sean Mannion Blake Bortles has already shown some competency as a QB, even though he never really had any real teaching or support at the NFL level; something Mannion did have and failed miserably in comparison to Bortles.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hopefully Bortles won't be too expensive for a two year contract. That will give the Rams time to draft and develop a backup, and give them time to get a pipeline going.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
As far as back up QBs go, we could do much worse than Bortles.
I understand not liking Bortles if we were bringing him in to start, but that's not the case here. Most teams back up QBs aren't as good as Bortles.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
FWIW, I browsed a bit in a Jax forum, and the posters seem to have very mixed feelings about Bortles. Mixed feelings about the big investment in Foles, too— understandably.

Can’t imagine Bortles would entertain anything other than either a 1-year or 2-year contract.

I bet McSnead will try to wrap him up before letting him visit anywhere else.

McSnead will like the idea of Bortles giving them the luxury of grooming a rookie QB in either 2019 or 2020.

Lastly, bottles not counting in the FA compensation formula is a plus, too.

All in all, I’m hoping Rams sign bortles to a deal... he could be good value right now

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
As far as back up QBs go, we could do much worse than Bortles.
I understand not liking Bortles if we were bringing him in to start, but that's not the case here. Most teams back up QBs aren't as good as Bortles.

Is Bortles ok with just being the backup guy is the question...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Because Mannion never had the goods. He wasn't even a McVay draft pick. He inherited Mannion from Fisher. McVay is one of the top QB developers in the NFL.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
if he isn't why is he visiting the rams?

Its just a visit...Job interview. He may ask for something the Rams can’t deliver. Thank you for your time goodbye...If anything the 9ers should of waited and invested their money into Bortles instead of Jimmy TwoTimes...Bortles is starter material.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
“Bortles sucks”

“Bortles should be a starter somewhere”

tenor.gif

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
“Bortles sucks”

“Bortles should be a starter somewhere”

tenor.gif
To be honest alot of people who have a hard on for Goff should be scared of Bortles being a number 2. God forbid Goff gets injured and Bortles takes over, under someone like McVay where does that leave Goff? Football is a business.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
where does that leave Goff

Exactly where he is today. He’s here for the long haul.

If Bortles shines in preseason or mop up duty, maybe we can leverage that in some way via trade. But, that depends on if he signs and if it’s for more than 1 season.