Rams sign QB Blake Bortles to one year deal

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The other thing about this is he's not an UFA, so doesn't go against comp picks. It also sures up a need and allows us to ignore QB in the draft unless we're excited about a prospect.

Signing a backup QB would fill a huge need.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Well, Bortles went 29/45 for 376 yards with 4 td's and one pick against the Pats last year.

With quailty OL play, the guy has proven he can produce at a high level.

I'd be surprised if he settles for a backup role with the Rams.
They wouldn’t have agreed to meet with the Rams if he wasn’t willing to accept a backup role. He and his agent know that Goff is the Starting QB.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Yep. Is there anything more predictable than the modern "journalistic" social media news?

The internet has destroyed journalism..........and social media is the toilet of the internet. The worst of the worst.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
The internet has destroyed journalism..........and social media is the toilet of the internet. The worst of the worst.
Umm... I’m not sure how to say this, but... DUDE, here on ROD you’re sorta on “social media...the toilet of the internet!”:eek:

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I like Bortles, he's big, has a good arm and can run.... @jrry32 had the Ram signing Bortles in his off season mock and seems like the right fit. Because he's still being paid by the Jags, the Rams should not have to pay him that much and @Selassie I can brag about the institution he attended as well.
20140208_jla_bm1_475.0.jpg

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
I like it if its cheap , hes better than manion and you can trade him later on if someone's starter goes down

Ram65

Legend
When the word came out that Bortles was going to be a cut I thought he would be a great pickup for the Rams. Experience, scrambler that has had decent years as a starter. McVay can get his confidence back up.

The Jags owe him $6.5 Million this year. I would give him a low one year deal and go from there. Let the Jags fit the bill and the Rams greatly improve the backup QB position.

dang

Legend
I like it if its cheap , hes better than manion and you can trade him later on if someone's starter goes down
Bortles gets $16.5m from JAX this year. So what do we think is a cheap deal Bortles would be interested in playing for a super bowl caliber team? Something like 2 years $6m?

Name
Pat
I think Bortles could be a great fit for the Rams. He's only 26, he's 6'5", he had the measurables to be taken #3 overall, he's had some limited runs of success, and he's already being paid $16M by the Jags. Think Jim Plunkett, Trent Dilfer- former top picks who the League and the media had written off, and in the right setting, resurrected their careers, taking their new teams to the Super Bowl. Not they we want Bortles start, but he clearly has some talent, and he'll likely come cheap for a QB. He probably would welcome being Goff's backup - the pressure will be off him after the beating he's taken in the media, he'll be on a championship-caliber team, and he'll get top-flight coaching. As long as the price is right, I say this could prove to be an excellent, low-risk signing. A win-win. Just remember- Jim Plunkett....

…..

Legend
I don’t really care who runs the scout team. But it could be better for us if that guy has won an actual NFL game before.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Surprised his first visit is to the Rams, a few other teams are looking for starting QB's. His Rams salary would be offsetting the whatever the Jags owe him. Very good backup option.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, Bortles went 29/45 for 376 yards with 4 td's and one pick against the Pats last year.
And he also went 12/23 for 127 yards, 2 int and a 46.8 qb rating against Buffalo
That’s the thing with Bortles, one week he’s a Porsche, the next 2 weeks he’s a Hyundai

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Bortles gets $16.5m from JAX this year. So what do we think is a cheap deal Bortles would be interested in playing for a super bowl caliber team? Something like 2 years $6m?
I'd do that ..I think mcvay can make him look good in preseason and fix some mechanical issues. Then trade him for a pick next year

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I love it actually. McVay can get him playing well and then we have a very valuable trade asset. That said, it has to be more then a 1 year prove it deal to be a valuable trade chip. I'd sign him to a at least 2 year deal to get full value, but I would not be at all mad with a 3 year deal. He is leagues better then Mannion and the sky shouldn't fall should Goff get hurt. Hell, with McVay's tutelage, he might be a good QB and is pretty mobile.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I don't know why anyone would want a QB who has mostly played shitty football.

Is he better than Mannion? Who knows, we really don't even know exactly what Mannion is, or how well he would play. He's played so little.

I trust the coaches on this. If they think he's competent as a back up that suits me.