Rams sign QB Blake Bortles to one year deal

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
So what's the over/under for how long it takes for Bill Barnwell to respond to this by writing an article speculating that this means the Rams don't have full confidence in Goff?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
So what's the over/under for how long it takes for Bill Barnwell to respond to this by writing an article speculating that this means the Rams don't have full confidence in Goff?
Yep. Is there anything more predictable than the modern "journalistic" social media news?

I would like this move. I like his experience and i like any #2 QB who can scramble.

jjab360

Legend
I continue to believe @jrry32 is secretly a Rams FO Executive who posts on message boards only to gauge fan interest in moves the team already plans on making...

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
Look, the front end of a fix and flip project is never pretty. With Bortles' age, if McVay can pull off a miracle and fix the BOAT, the Rams should get a nice return on the flip.

Has Bortles ever had a quality OC? It was Jedd Fisch's first try as an OC with no experience developing a rookie QB. Greg Olson was good as a QB coach, but as an OC? I don't think we've seen much there (35 td year sure looks like a fluke now). Both Fisch and Olson worked under a heavy handed head coach. Then Nathaniel Hackett? He has the name, but qualified? If BOAT signs here, this will be the best offense, coaching and players, he's ever been around.

Maybe he wants to see if he can get Fisch fired again.

Let's see, he's a Florida kid, born and raised, college in Florida, drafted 3d by the Jags. Things didn't work out, Jags gave up on him and now he wants to salvage his career with the Rams. Dante Fowler or Blake Bortles?

Let's cherrypick!!:
Bortles has more playoff passing TDs, less playoff INTs than Goff. His playoff yards per attempt is better than Goff. Higher QB rating than Goff in the playoffs. More playoff rushing yards and playoff rushing yards per attempt than Goff. He scored a TD against the Patriots in the playoffs. How'd elite Goff do in the playoffs against the Patriots?

I continue to believe @jrry32 is secretly a Rams FO Executive who posts on message boards only to gauge fan interest in moves the team already plans on making...

So, he's a trial balloon?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Nah. I'd love to work for the Rams, but I don't think they feel the same about me. ;)

I'm just a guy who throws enough darts that I occasionally hit the board.

dang

Legend
If Goff were to miss any significant playing time - it would be catastrophic for the Rams. Bortles would be an upgrade over Mannion but how much would it take to sign him?

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Love it if the price is right. Kid has talent and with good coaching can be a player. We as fans should realize coaching and scheme is so important, more so than any other sport.

He is a player who has had a couple good years. If something happened to Goff would be nice to have a player like this to win you a few games.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
meh.gif

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Fine by me, if the price is right. I would scream doom and gloom if Goff got injured regardless whoever FA or rookie QB is playing for the Rams under center.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
I personally like it Bortles has proven he can sling it at times in an inept offense and really almost took his team through New England to get them to a Super Bowl. The dude has never had supreme coaching and for the most part been stuck with ehhh recievers terrible recievers this year in my estimation.

What makes me happy about the signing is he has feet mobility the ability to buy time and if the Rams offensive line slips he can still buy time and with very talented recievers get them the ball not to mention he can take off and run. Light years better than mannion and if anything should happen to or with goff I'd love to see Bortles in this offense. Obviously I want goff to be amazing but this I think is the perfect back up.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
I’m meh on the prospects of Bortles, however he may come cheap since he is guaranteed $16 mil from Jax next year. I’d say no more than $3 mil over one year might do it.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Bottles might be cheap and who knows, Goff may have had the same fate under Fisher but maybe McVay can transform him into a decent NFL QB.

RamsFlash80

Pro Bowler
This would be a good move IMO. Bortles is very capable of having big time games like Nick Foles. And hes still only 26 and could get some coaching from McVay etc. that could really help him. Insurance for JG

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Yep, who knows if he gets into a few ganes and plays well he at the very least could net the Rams a 3rd or 4th round comp pick the following year. QBs do get paid a lot by desperate teams.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Love this. And for the people saying if the price is right....we have a limited amount of cap space and just enough for a backup QB. It'll probably be 4-7 milliona

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Now that the Rams are legit contenders, the question about a backup QB is: if our starter goes down, could the backup “pull a Nick Foles” and lead the team to victories in the playoffs (or even the SB)? After watching Bortles in the playoffs a year ago, I think the answer is yes.

After winning at home in WC round vs. Buf, Jags went on the road to Pit, and the entire O played phenomenally well during a 45-42 shootout win over the Steelers.

Then, in AFC Championship, Bortles again played well (completing 12 passes in a row at one point) in a narrow 24-20 loss at Gillette vs. the Cheatriots.

TBH, I never saw Bortles play in 2018, so I don’t know how or why he regressed. But the Bortles I saw in the 2017 playoffs was impressive: clutch in hostile environments, could create with runs when necessary, and played smart and didn’t make mistakes (3 TD and zero INT’s in 3 playoff games).

IMHO, Mannion never showed anything to suggest he could step up for big moments. But if Rams can get the 2017 Bortles (instead of the 2018 version), Rams would have a solid, battle- tested backup.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
Well, Bortles went 29/45 for 376 yards with 4 td's and one pick against the Pats last year.

With quailty OL play, the guy has proven he can produce at a high level.

I'd be surprised if he settles for a backup role with the Rams.