Rams sign QB Blake Bortles to one year deal

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
And he also went 12/23 for 127 yards, 2 int and a 46.8 qb rating against Buffalo
That’s the thing with Bortles, one week he’s a Porsche, the next 2 weeks he’s a Hyundai

I don't want a Hyundai I want a Toyota that can get us from point A to B safely.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
It’s easy to see potential big upside for both Bortles and the Rams here if they can come to an agreement.

Kudos to Rams for looking under every stone.

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
I think it is a good move by the Rams! I hope they will sign him soon before some other team gives him a better offer!

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I like Bortles, he's big, has a good arm and can run.... @jrry32 had the Ram signing Bortles in his off season mock and seems like the right fit. Because he's still being paid by the Jags, the Rams should not have to pay him that much and @Selassie I can brag about the institution he attended as well.
20140208_jla_bm1_475.0.jpg

More so @Ramrasta .... but yeah!

Bortles is a local boy from right here in Oviedo. My family's orange groove was there. Ramrasta and I followed Blake very closely obviously because of UCF. That dude was clutch AF back in college. The jags coaching fiascos really jacked up his confidence... and that used to be a strength of his back in college. I watched almost all of his college games.

We'll see what happens after his interview.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
It’s easy to see potential big upside for both Bortles and the Rams here if they can come to an agreement.

Kudos to Rams for looking under every stone.

Makes great sense for the Rams, but it seems a little puzzling to me from Bortles' perspective. Is his only market option now as a backup? -- in which case the Rams are a really good choice.

Otherwise don't see how he can count on getting playing time and chance to improve his market value. Seemed to me looking at Bortles from a distance that he showed some potential but either was not consistent with technique or reads, or was just not coached or used correctly (as happened to Foles with the Rams). Bortles might well improve under our coaching and with our O if given the chance, but can't if he doesn't play much.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't know why anyone would want a QB who has mostly played crappy football.

Is he better than Mannion? Who knows, we really don't even know exactly what Mannion is, or how well he would play. He's played so little.

I trust the coaches on this. If they think he's competent as a back up that suits me.

Kirk Cousins played mostly crappy football before McVay became his OC. Yes, he's better than Mannion.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Makes great sense for the Rams, but it seems a little puzzling to me from Bortles' perspective. Is his only market option now as a backup? -- in which case the Rams are a really good choice.

Otherwise don't see how he can count on getting playing time and chance to improve his market value. Seemed to me looking at Bortles from a distance that he showed some potential but either was not consistent with technique or reads, or was just not coached or used correctly (as happened to Foles with the Rams). Bortles might well improve under our coaching and with our O if given the chance, but can't if he doesn't play much.

Confidence in him is at his lowest. I'm betting he wants to take the path of Nick Foles. Go to a proven QB developer, rebuild your game, and have a chance to be a backup on a winning team. Look where Foles is now. He's a starter again.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Kirk Cousins played mostly crappy football before McVay became his OC. Yes, he's better than Mannion.

Well we can't make that call we don't see him in practice.

And paying that much money to a backup is out of whack!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well we can't make that call we don't see him in practice.

And paying that much money to a backup is out of whack!

I've seen Mannion play in games. I can make that call. Bortles is better. And I'd love to see what McVay can do with him. He's been a competent starter when things were good around him in Jax. To this point in his career, he's simply been a guy who can't rise above his circumstances. When things are bad, he's bad.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Id argue this not social media. This is a forum.
The difference between social media and a forum is relatively small. A forum is actually a type of social media, the only difference being is that a forum is narrowed down by subject. By doing this it leads to those who have knowledge of the chosen subject becoming members of the forum.

The one real difference between a forum and social media is the moderators you have on the various forums. Here on ROD we have the best moderators you’ll find for discussing RAM football.

Having said that, a forum is still considered social media, but narrowed down by subject.

dang

Legend
I thought Mannion was a good draft pick for the Rams. He had a good college career. Every and I mean every time that I have seen him he seems unprepared and hurried. The game appears to be too fast for him. I think the. Rams know that an upgrade at QB is a need in the event Goff becomes unavailable.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I didn’t think we had a shot at Bortles but it looks like we do. I would be a fan of this and have zero issue with saying bye to Mannion

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Well, Bortles went 29/45 for 376 yards with 4 td's and one pick against the Pats last year.

With quailty OL play, the guy has proven he can produce at a high level.

I'd be surprised if he settles for a backup role with the Rams.

I wouldn’t and here’s why.

McVay has the Midas touch right now. The only better hand, no joke, is Tom House at USC and that’s more about arm mechanics than football dev. NO ONE right now is seen in higher esteem at developing QBs than McVay.

Also, Bortles has admitted that he doesn’t have the work habits. If he wants to develop them, here’s the place.

Bortles is basically the prototypical QB in size, arm strength, mobility and a number of other factors. He desperately needs improvement in accuracy, consistency, decision making and leadership.

All the things he needs, we have here.

I dunno if I’m on board with him coming, but he wouldn’t make the trip if he wasn’t considering it. And I have enough faith in McVay that if ANYONE can get Bortles straight, it’s McVay.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott

I am guessing his camp feels he could use a year of development/ re-making himself and what better way than to go workout for a year with the league's new prodigy offensive mind.

And hey, if Goff goes down for any period of time it might be the best case scenario for him to go out and play well or at least as well as he can.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I've seen Mannion play in games. I can make that call. Bortles is better. And I'd love to see what McVay can do with him. He's been a competent starter when things were good around him in Jax. To this point in his career, he's simply been a guy who can't rise above his circumstances. When things are bad, he's bad.

He's thrown about 50 passes, and a lot with starters sitting. It's hard to judge on that small of a sample size.

At what price would you take Bortles?