Rams sign QB Blake Bortles to one year deal

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Poppinfresh

Rookie
You can literally count on one hand, with fingers to spare, how many teams have a backup QB that has years of starting experience and is battle tested like Bortles. Sure, when he's off, he's super mediocre, but when he's on, he can actually put a team on his back. That puts his floor better than just about any teams in the league not named the Dolphins or Saints and his ceiling higher than any backup other than Tannehill.

Ram65

Legend
What a great upgrade at QB for McVay and the Rams with Bortles on board. What's not to like about this?

Preseason games will be more exciting to watch. McVay could have some plays for Bortles in the regular season. Bortles can hold down the fort for a least a few week if need be.

Now back to the defense.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Remember the old saying; you're only as good as your backup QB.

This is a good move for us and maybe it'll encourage Goff a little too to step into his throws knowing that there is viable competition behind him pushing him to be at his best.

That said, Goff is clearly the starter.

And just think about the comp pick we'll get from a resurrected, starting caliber QB!

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What a great upgrade at QB for McVay and the Rams with Bortles on board. What's not to like about this?

Preseason games will be more exciting to watch. McVay could have some plays for Bortles in the regular season. Bortles can hold down the fort for a least a few week if need be.

Now back to the defense.

I wanted Bortles because I think we can win with them if needed. But this is definitely a benefit too lol.

Actually I wonder...having a real QB to play with a bunch of young guys might better allow McVay and Snead to evaluate the younger guys in preseason? Never thought of it that way.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Bortles now has coaches who can further teach him how to better play QB, that why the signed with the Rams.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Remember the old saying; you're only as good as your backup QB.

This is a good move for us and maybe it'll encourage Goff a little too to step into his throws knowing that there is viable competition behind him pushing him to be at his best.

That said, Goff is clearly the starter.

And just think about the comp pick we'll get from a resurrected, starting caliber QB!
The Rams must have been awful last year if they're only as good as the backup QB.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I think it is a good signing considering, our current backup, the cost, the experience, and the fresh start. He won't be challenging Goff, but I think he could win a few in his absence. This is a temporary solution.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
He won't be challenging Goff,

Ah, come on Doctor, it's not even spring nothing like a good old fashion QB Controversy before the draft.
images

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I’d say anything is possible. I feel confident McVay is fully capable of being non-conventional so it wouldn’t surprise me to see two QB sets and special plays dialed up for BB.

Yeah I think I agree with you we could see some tricky stuff.

Limey

Rookie
I’m in favour of this deal whatever the answer, but if we paid him less than the guaranteed money from the Jags, so they would be paying his wages, would he count against our cap?

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
so question. Would we save money on Blake's one year deal and dumping Mannion?

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
I’m in favour of this deal whatever the answer, but if we paid him less than the guaranteed money from the Jags, so they would be paying his wages, would he count against our cap?
Jags owe Bortles 6.5 million, but if the Rams signed him for let’s say 5 million, the Jags would owe Bortles 1.5 million and we’d owe him 5 million. That 5 million would then count against the Rams cap.

Ken

Starter
Name
Ken Morris
I guess they haven't bothered to release details of the contract yet. I think the Rams have to at least sign him to a vet min deal with the Jags paying the rest of what they owe. Not sure what Mannion's contract paid him, but probably just a little less than 6 year vet min. So, I hope he only cost the Rams about the same as Mannion last yr. Good upgrade for the same price.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
so question. Would we save money on Blake's one year deal and dumping Mannion?
Mannion is a free agent, no need to dump him. We'll see what Bottles ended up signing for soon though.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Jags owe Bortles 6.5 million, but if the Rams signed him for let’s say 5 million, the Jags would owe Bortles 1.5 million and we’d owe him 5 million. That 5 million would then count against the Rams cap.

If this is the case, then it wouldn’t matter to Bortles whether he signs with Rams for the minimum for a 5-year vet (approx. 800 K) or anything up to 6.5M.

Wonder how this works... there must be some sort of incentive for Bortles to sign for a higher number?

If Bortles’ deal is under market value (because of the dead money owed to him by the Jags)... then it would be yet another brilliant move by this FO.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
If this is the case, then it wouldn’t matter to Bortles whether he signs with Rams for the minimum for a 5-year vet (approx. 800 K) or anything up to 6.5M.

Wonder how this works... there must be some sort of incentive for Bortles to sign for a higher number?
Question also would be is there an incentive for the Rams to offer a higher number.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

If Bortles’ deal is under market value (because of the dead money owed to him by the Jags)... then it would be yet another brilliant move by this FO.

Bortles might have insisted on a signing bonus, to cover the cost of the move and get money now. Besides that, there is no reason for him to want anything above vet minimum - he'll get the same amount of weekly salary anyway.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Does anyone know how much we are paying him?
Whatever it is it''ll be too much for 90% of the fans on this board.

FA is EXPENSIVE. Always is. Every year fans are shocked and i don't get why. First....FA is EXPENSIVE and it gets more expensive every year in terms of just looking at dollar figures.
Second...its not your money.

Meh.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
Whatever it is it''ll be too much for 90% of the fans on this board.

FA is EXPENSIVE. Always is. Every year fans are shocked and i don't get why. First....FA is EXPENSIVE and it gets more expensive every year in terms of just looking at dollar figures.
Second...its not your money.

Meh.
It's my team's cap money so I care.