Rams sign QB Blake Bortles to one year deal

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Goff was talked about worse than Bortles before McVay showed up. Bortles has all the physical ability, just needs McVay to put him in the right situations.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
in fact I'm curious now if Mannion will get a chance to be a #2 guy elsewhere..

I expect him to get a small bonus and be in competition with multiple others for a backup position.

I'm thinking the Rams take a QB either with one of their late 3rds or their 4th. They have other needs too, but if the right guy is available, they'll need to strike. The Rams really need to have a backup with at least one year of experience, and they can't count on getting somebody like Bortles next year.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
The one year contract means he will be a FA next year. It also means the Rams are likely to bring in a youngster to take on the backup QB role next year. If Bortles shines in preseason and backup duty he could garner some decent FA interest next year. This could net the Rams a 6th or 7th round comp pick.
Lol, nobody “shines” in preseason and backup duty!

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Except those that do. There is a reason that sometimes teams trade relatively high picks for another team's backup. The Rams won't get to receive that largesse, but if Bortles looks good enough in preseason this coming year, he could get a decent offer for the following season - enough since he's a QB to net the Rams a comp pick.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
Except those that do. There is a reason that sometimes teams trade relatively high picks for another team's backup. The Rams won't get to receive that largesse, but if Bortles looks good enough in preseason this coming year, he could get a decent offer for the following season - enough since he's a QB to net the Rams a comp pick.
Preseason is like practice. It’s not going to matter.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
The one year contract means he will be a FA next year. It also means the Rams are likely to bring in a youngster to take on the backup QB role next year. If Bortles shines in preseason and backup duty he could garner some decent FA interest next year. This could net the Rams a 6th or 7th round comp pick.

With what QB's get paid I am thinking more along the lines of a 4th/5th at worst.

fearsomefour

Legend
File this signing under "blah" for me.
Will be interesting to see what McVay can do with him however.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Preseason is like practice. It’s not going to matter.

Teams are desperate for QBs. And it's not like other positions - if Goff doesn't get injured, nobody will expect Bortles to play part time. The recent history of the NFL has backups being valued by teams needing QBs. If he looks good in preseason, and does nothing during the season to reduce his value, some team will overpay for him in free agency in 2020.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If he looks good in preseason, and does nothing during the season to reduce his value, some team will overpay for him in free agency in 2020.

Value in Bortles is if we only need him to spell a game or two. In that type of situation a guy like him vs Mannion might mean home field advantage. Wouldn't want to rely on him longer than that, because McVay can make him look better but can't remake who he is as a QB.

But yeah I'm good with him looking great in preseason then getting signed away after us not needing him during this season. :p

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
My scenario has Bortles going 4-0 with a 158.3 QB rating during the pre-season while Brady gets hit by a bus celebrating his game 1 win of the regular season, then NE immediately gives us their 2020 first round pick for the trade.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
My scenario has Bortles going 4-0 with a 158.3 QB rating during the pre-season while Brady gets hit by a bus celebrating his game 1 win of the regular season, then NE immediately gives us their 2020 first round pick for the trade.
Which of us gets to drive that bus?

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Excellent signing. Now for Brown/Anderson.

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah who would want a young QB who has won two playoff games and played well enough to win the AFC Championship?

Really don't get this take by Rams fans on here. IMO Bortles was the best case scenario for backup QB. Home run by Snead and McVay.
To each their own. I can see both sides have merit.

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's time to move on from Mannion. Bortles gives us a young veteran who has starter experience and has been healthy for most of his career. This is a good deal for the Rams and, in the end, hopefully Blake Bortles himself.

~ArkyRamsFan~
I certainly hope so! Peace.

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
With what pick, considering we need depth on the Oline, Dline, and linebacker? In all honesty that probably wouldn’t happen until the 4th round at best. Do you really want to depend on a 4th rounder as your main backup to Goff, especially if he gets injured? No, this was the best way for the Rams to go.
Sorry, I’m just not that impressed with Bortles, but hey, I hope I’m wrong here. I wish him luck.

wild ram

Rookie
Name
Erick

You kidding me ?? That is a very fair statement!! It’s the preseason can count
If he does well.

Blake Bortles just went to the AFC championship. He should get a lot of snaps.
Goff plays a role into it & Blake is not bad insurance.