Rams sign Bobby Wagner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
They don't all work out. Another angle is, if you don't take them, they definitely don't work out for you. Gotta trust your scouts. Everett, Johnson and Kupp was a great draft, even with Everett not working out and JJ leaving via FA. Sure we could plug in a couple of names for Everett and it would have been better but it was a great draft anyway. They don't all work out.

Let’s just say Karma with Bobby Wagner & The Rams. Was meant to be.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Mike Florio, Pro Football Talk (NBC Sports) 4/4/2022

From that piece, based on his playing time with Seattle, this incentive feels very achievable;

The deal also includes three incentive packages, each with creative names.

(1) The Agent Wagz Wally’s Wage Incentive pays out up to $2 million per year based on playing time and team achievements. To get the full amount, Wagner needs to participate in 90 percent or more of the defensive snaps, the Rams must make the playoffs, and the final defensive rankings in net points allowed, net yards allowed, and net passing yards allowed per passing play must be better than the fifth worst in the league.

C7AEBF8B-B635-4CBE-9471-D64B16D31593.png

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

For Rams GM Les Snead and head coach Sean McVay, Bobby Wagner worth departure from traditional approach to inside linebacker position​

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. – Historically, inside linebacker was not a position the Rams invested in at a premium level over the last five years.

Then again, it's not every year that a player of Bobby Wagner's caliber becomes available.

That, among multiple reasons, why the Rams departed from their previous approach and signed Wagner to a five-year deal.

"He was a really good player, a lot of experience, that was available, that wanted to try to continue his journey in football with a hometown team, a team that he felt like had a chance to continue winning like he's been a part of in Seattle," Rams general manager Les Snead said during a video conference with reporters Monday. "All things considered, an opportunity that we definitely analyzed, and jacked that Bobby chose the Rams."

Prior to returning to home to Los Angeles, the 31-year-old Wagner set a franchise record with 1,383 total tackles across 10 seasons with the Seattle Seahawks, collecting six First-Team All-Pro selections and eight Pro Bowl nods in the process.

Snead said the Rams "weren't really planning for the opportunity" to sign Wagner, who was released by the Seahawks on March 12. After it became apparent Wagner wanted to play for the Rams, Snead said he sat down with head coach Sean McVay, defensive coordinator Raheem Morris and the rest of the defensive coaching staff to figure out how they schematically play both Wagner and second-year linebacker Ernest Jones on the field at the same time. They encouraged Wagner to take the time to go through the process and survey the landscape since this was his first time as a free agent, while staying patient on their end.

Eventually, the Rams internally arrived at the conclusion that a Wagner-Jones tandem was viable without being detrimental to Jones' development, while Wagner arrived at the conclusion that the Rams should be his next NFL stop.

"It's gonna be big," McVay said during a separate video conference with reporters Monday afternoon. "And I also think it's huge for Ernest Jones. A lot of the reasons why we drafted Ernest Jones when we did was because he had some traits and characteristics that reminded us of Bobby, and so to be able to pair those two together is something that we're really excited about, and there's going to be a nice spin that we can put on, some of these different personnel groupings to take advantage of getting our best 11 on the grass."

Another piece to the decision, according to McVay, was addressing the leadership lost to offseason departures and retirements.

"We're losing some big-time locker room leaders, when you look at what Andrew Whitworth meant to our football team, wen you lose a player like what Von Miller's meant, I thought Eric Weddle's leadership during the playoff run was vital," McVay said. "And to be able to have a guy that will be thrust into a leadership role based on the nature of how you communicate from that middle linebacker spot, but then also just who he is as a human being, there's a lot of positives, a lot of reasons you can be excited about Bobby joining the Rams."

tempests

Hall of Fame
If Snead selects Wagner in '12, maybe they don't get a crack at AD. Butterfly effect.
They still had two first round picks in 2014, including the no 2 overall due to the RG3 trade. If they wanted AD, they would've had their shot regardless.

Rams actually passed on Wagner three times in that second round. Could've had him at 33 and 39 also. Rams eventually added enough talent to overcome things like this, but it would be another five years until they had a winning season.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I believe he used that in reference to us drafting Mo Alexander (that he would be "Bobby Wagner mad" if we didn't take him).

Goes to show you that for every Bobby Wagner there's a....well, a Mo Alexander.
Maurice Alexander is a player I have I thought for a while. Fendi is another.

Has Snead ever hit on one of these remarkable athletes with limited football ability?

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto

Has Snead ever hit on one of these remarkable athletes with limited football ability?
I can't think of a single one. Maybe Gerald Everett? Wasn't he kind of a physical freak?

jjab360

Legend

Not that I can think of yet. Still wait and see mode on Jacob Harris.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I can't think of a single one. Maybe Gerald Everett? Wasn't he kind of a physical freak?
Yeah kind of but he wasn’t worth the draft slot imo. That seemed like a forced pick because McVay came from an offense where he used a pass catching Tight end heavily.

I always figure that if a guy is a physical freak but lacks knowledge of football after 4 years of college coaching then the odds are against them becoming really good at it. Sure it happens but not often enough.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Not that I can think of yet. Still wait and see mode on Jacob Harris.

Nick Scott kind of fits. He was a RB in college that made a late switch to Safety, but he was drafted as a Special teams guy. So it’s not the same.

Harris is another. When will Snead stop looking for his Antonio Gates? Three receivers last year and the best of the group so far has been the least freaky football player drafted as a Special teamer. All the while they passed on viable runningbacks despite Henderson’s injury history.

jap

Legend
The Broncoes' SB-winning defense had the No Fly Zone. Does this make the 2022 Horns' D, with Bobby Wagner & Earnest Jones patrolling the middle, the No Rush|Run Zone?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
From that piece, based on his playing time with Seattle, this incentive feels very achievable;

The deal also includes three incentive packages, each with creative names.

(1) The Agent Wagz Wally’s Wage Incentive pays out up to $2 million per year based on playing time and team achievements. To get the full amount, Wagner needs to participate in 90 percent or more of the defensive snaps, the Rams must make the playoffs, and the final defensive rankings in net points allowed, net yards allowed, and net passing yards allowed per passing play must be better than the fifth worst in the league.

View attachment 53380

So much for those saying he will only be a 2 down back. It would be absurd to sign him to this kind of a contract only to piss off your new all pro by playing him 67% of the snaps.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
So much for those saying he will only be a 2 down back. It would be absurd to sign him to this kind of a contract only to piss off your new all pro by playing him 67% of the snaps.
The guy can flat out play. In the run game and the passing game. I know highlight reels are just that, but many of his PDs and Ints are a case of being in the right place at the right time. That's where Reeder gets sold short by Ram fans. No, he wasn't a superb athlete. No, he wasn't pro bowl caliber. Yes, he missed tackles. Yes, an upgrade was in order. But he was in the right place many times at big times. We'll get all Wagner brings athletically and that but with a very serious attitude.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
$2.5M CAP hit for 2022.

This makes a bit more sense to me, roughly $10M over two years is about right and if he can regain some of his old play in space by being a little sharper in his drops then it'll be a bargain for the Rams. He's not the same guy but he's still a damn load in the box so our defense is going to be a lot tougher vs the run and teams like SF who you know will spend snaps testing your run D.
Richard Sherman gives a nice breakdown of Bobby Wagner--the signing, what he brings, etc. Also Sherman breaks down the NFC West, Mayfield, and other stuff. Enjoyable listen.

View: https://youtu.be/ZQ-UKl-mT2o

Sherman has a surprisingly good radio voice to go with a very unbiased take on most things. He is also well spoken.

I hope he gets it together and leaves the anger stuff in the past. I hate seeing anyone self destruct.
Yeah Sherm's a smart dude. Always has been, which is why I never liked how he acted when he was on top of things in Seattle's heyday. I think he went a bit far running his mouth but he is the type of guy who could be an analyst on gameday and do it very well. I do enjoy his take on things.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Harris is another. When will Snead stop looking for his Antonio Gates? Three receivers last year and the best of the group so far has been the least freaky football player drafted as a Special teamer. All the while they passed on viable runningbacks despite Henderson’s injury history.
Yes Harris is definitely a freak. I think the Rams are high on him still too. Coen mentioned in his presser that the Rams sent clips of what they were doing with him to him in Kentucky, to me that shows that they were crazy high on that freakish combo of traits he's got for sure. Someone was quoted from inside Rams Park in saying he was a "unicorn" last year too in camp.

So I'm hopeful though the knee injury mostly grounded any crazy thoughts in my head. Way I look at it we have two depth chart passing game weapons that can add explosiveness to the offense in Harris and Tutu. And Skow's there as a solid rotation piece and big target who can handle the run blocking when we are in a scrum.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Yes Harris is definitely a freak. I think the Rams are high on him still too. Coen mentioned in his presser that the Rams sent clips of what they were doing with him to him in Kentucky, to me that shows that they were crazy high on that freakish combo of traits he's got for sure. Someone was quoted from inside Rams Park in saying he was a "unicorn" last year too in camp.

So I'm hopeful though the knee injury mostly grounded any crazy thoughts in my head. Way I look at it we have two depth chart passing game weapons that can add explosiveness to the offense in Harris and Tutu. And Skow's there as a solid rotation piece and big target who can handle the run blocking when we are in a scrum.
I think if you’re going for volume on draft day, taking swings at freak athletes here and there is fine.

Nick Scott was brought up and is a great example. Freak athlete.. raw at his position but can contribute on special teams while possibly developing. Harris was playing teams.

I feel like Snead and company strike a good balance with those swings. More practical picks like Edwards & Gaines, for example.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think if you’re going for volume on draft day, taking swings at freak athletes here and there is fine.

Nick Scott was brought up and is a great example. Freak athlete.. raw at his position but can contribute on special teams while possibly developing. Harris was playing teams.

I feel like Snead and company strike a good balance with those swings. More practical picks like Edwards & Gaines, for example.
Maybe, Harris was a fourth round pick. Quick was a second. I prefer them later like Scott.