Rams sign Bobby Wagner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

brucebruce

Rookie
They still had two first round picks in 2014, including the no 2 overall due to the RG3 trade. If they wanted AD, they would've had their shot regardless.

Rams actually passed on Wagner three times in that second round. Could've had him at 33 and 39 also. Rams eventually added enough talent to overcome things like this, but it would be another five years until they had a winning season.
clearly they didnt want him at 2. geez, all the hand wringing.

tempests

Hall of Fame
clearly they didnt want him at 2. geez, all the hand wringing.
What hand wringing. This is simply a statement of fact. The Rams winning more games in 2012 or 2013 would've impacted their ability to draft Aaron Donald in no way. They had two first round picks. They could've traded up or down and drafted him in whatever slot they felt warranted.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I was lower on Wagner than others on here and than the Rams FO, it sounds like.

One thing that became clear to me after the signing, reinforced by Rodrigue's latest, is that the Rams are likely running more 4-2-5 defense this coming season. I think that opens up the possibilities for that pass rusher they're still looking for. Could be more of a true 4-3 type than 3-4 OLB... Opens up some possibilities, for sure.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

How Rams Can Use of Both Bobby Wagner and Ernest Jones​

BY TIMM HAMM SPORTS ILLUSTRATED LA RAMS NEWS, ANALYSIS AND MORE
APRIL 06, 2022 5:35 PM
1649290667999.png

The Los Angeles Rams finally have some stability at inside linebacker. Not only have the L.A. Rams have finally found some stability at the inside linebacker position, but they also now boast one of the better tandems in the league. What was once a weak point on the defensive side of the ball, is now a strength with the addition of Bobby Wagner in free agency.

Wagner will now join Ernest Jones at the position, and both will be important pieces of that defensive puzzle as the Rams appear to be doing all they can to "run it back" in 2022.

Los Angeles general manager Les Snead addressed reporters this week and discussed how the linebacker tandem can play together to benefit the club.

“What we definitely talked through – because we do like Ernest Jones – myself sat with Sean and Raheem and the defensive staff and discussed how we could use the defenses and the tactics with both of those players on the field,” he said. “At the end of the day, you don’t necessarily want to put one of your better up-and-coming younger players on the bench for a veteran, but often, there’s two inside linebackers on the field. … In our scheme, there’s two on there. So how do we best utilize both of those players and does that make us stronger, and obviously, we came to the conclusion that it did.”

Wagner and Jones have very similar sets of football skills and play very similar games. And that's just the beginning of the positives of both playing together. The Rams now have options and flexibility on defense.

Playing alongside Wagner, Jones can now be freed up to rush the quarterback more. In the Super Bowl win over Cincinnati in February, Jones had a sack on a crucial third-down play late in the game. He's a danger to reach the quarterback on every down when he's freed up to do so.

Wagner is probably a better pass rusher right now than Jones, and they can both play off each other.

Defensive coordinator Raheem Morris will be responsible for figuring out how to use the new super-tandem linebackers on the field. Wagner is a huge upgrade from what the team has dealt with before at the position.

It now seems the Rams are in better shape than ever for a run at a Super Bowl Repeat.

MachS

Hall of Fame

How Rams Can Use of Both Bobby Wagner and Ernest Jones​

BY TIMM HAMM SPORTS ILLUSTRATED LA RAMS NEWS, ANALYSIS AND MORE
APRIL 06, 2022 5:35 PM
View attachment 53425

The Los Angeles Rams finally have some stability at inside linebacker. Not only have the L.A. Rams have finally found some stability at the inside linebacker position, but they also now boast one of the better tandems in the league. What was once a weak point on the defensive side of the ball, is now a strength with the addition of Bobby Wagner in free agency.

Wagner will now join Ernest Jones at the position, and both will be important pieces of that defensive puzzle as the Rams appear to be doing all they can to "run it back" in 2022.

Los Angeles general manager Les Snead addressed reporters this week and discussed how the linebacker tandem can play together to benefit the club.

“What we definitely talked through – because we do like Ernest Jones – myself sat with Sean and Raheem and the defensive staff and discussed how we could use the defenses and the tactics with both of those players on the field,” he said. “At the end of the day, you don’t necessarily want to put one of your better up-and-coming younger players on the bench for a veteran, but often, there’s two inside linebackers on the field. … In our scheme, there’s two on there. So how do we best utilize both of those players and does that make us stronger, and obviously, we came to the conclusion that it did.”

Wagner and Jones have very similar sets of football skills and play very similar games. And that's just the beginning of the positives of both playing together. The Rams now have options and flexibility on defense.

Playing alongside Wagner, Jones can now be freed up to rush the quarterback more. In the Super Bowl win over Cincinnati in February, Jones had a sack on a crucial third-down play late in the game. He's a danger to reach the quarterback on every down when he's freed up to do so.

Wagner is probably a better pass rusher right now than Jones, and they can both play off each other.

Defensive coordinator Raheem Morris will be responsible for figuring out how to use the new super-tandem linebackers on the field. Wagner is a huge upgrade from what the team has dealt with before at the position.

It now seems the Rams are in better shape than ever for a run at a Super Bowl Repeat.

Nice post. Its what I've been thinking about the Wagner signing, we will have both him and Ernest on the field together a lot. In known passing situations, dont be surprised if the extra rusher we send is from the ILB position. Both can blitz well and after losing Von we will need to tweak things a bit. Still expecting us to sign an edge too.

Ram65

Legend

How much will BWagz and Jones play together? This is what I've been trying to wrap my head around when the Rams were initially reported interested in BWagz. Some reports had him slowing down in coverage which had me thinking he was going to play 2 downs. I'll go with the Rams vision of both playing a lot together. Offenses may have to guess who will blitz or be ready for both. I trust the Rams vision here and am looking forward to seeing it all play out.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
How much will BWagz and Jones play together? This is what I've been trying to wrap my head around when the Rams were initially reported interested in BWagz. Some reports had him slowing down in coverage which had me thinking he was going to play 2 downs. I'll go with the Rams vision of both playing a lot together. Offenses may have to guess who will blitz or be ready for both. I trust the Rams vision here and am looking forward to seeing it all play out.
On third downs, Jones drops into coverage or Wagner can pass rush.

Ram65

Legend
On third downs, Jones drops into coverage or Wagner can pass rush.

I don't think it will be one or the other. I expect the Rams to mix it up with Jones and BWagz and Jones blitzing. I do expect BWagz gets more chances to blitz. They also will mix in a CB blitz. Morris is going to keep teams guessing.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don't think it will be one or the other. I expect the Rams to mix it up with Jones and BWagz and Jones blitzing. I do expect BWagz gets more chances to blitz. They also will mix in a CB blitz. Morris is going to keep teams guessing.
However Wagner’s pass coverage skills are what has been deteriorating in his game.

MachS

Hall of Fame
However Wagner’s pass coverage skills are what has been deteriorating in his game.
I'd take a 38yr old Bobby Wagner going through a divorce and playing on two bum knees in pass coverage over a healthy Reeder. 100% of the time. The upgrade we just made at ILB cannot be overstated.

And that's not mentioning the leadership qualities he brings either. After losing Whit, Von, and Woods you better believe that was a factor. He will also be wearing the green dot and is incredibly smart. Its no coincidence that the secondary played so well after Weddle came in during the playoffs. Getting into the right coverages and having that veteran presence is big and Wagz will give us that.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'd take a 38yr old Bobby Wagner going through a divorce and playing on two bum knees in pass coverage over a healthy Reeder. 100% of the time. The upgrade we just made at ILB cannot be overstated.

And that's not mentioning the leadership qualities he brings either. After losing Whit, Von, and Woods you better believe that was a factor.
I never disagreed with the Rams signing Wagner. I think it’s a great move.

I just don’t think Wagner will be used in coverage a lot, especially if Jones is healthy.

MachS

Hall of Fame
I never disagreed with the Rams signing Wagner. I think it’s a great move.

I just don’t think Wagner will be used in coverage a lot, especially if Jones is healthy.
His ability to recognize alignments and route concepts should help offset him losing a step, if he even has. Seattle's defense was all time horrible last year and he still finished 2nd team all pro. I think Ernest's game will hit a new level this year no doubt but I'd still prefer Wagz in coverage. We'll see how they're used but the intelligence and experience factor is huge with all the zone we play.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
How much will BWagz and Jones play together? This is what I've been trying to wrap my head around when the Rams were initially reported interested in BWagz. Some reports had him slowing down in coverage which had me thinking he was going to play 2 downs. I'll go with the Rams vision of both playing a lot together. Offenses may have to guess who will blitz or be ready for both. I trust the Rams vision here and am looking forward to seeing it all play out

What role will Travin Howard have in 2022?

Los Angeles Rams News and Links for 4/7/22

By Blane Dydasco@BlaneDydasco Apr 7, 2022
1649368400574.png

Now that the Los Angeles Rams have added linebacker Bobby Wagner to the linebacker room that already has Ernest Jones, where does Travin Howard stand in the mix? Howard played in 12 games in 2021 including starting two games. In the regular season he had 21 tackles and one interception. In the post season, Howard was part of one of the most memorable plays in the NFC Championship game. To seal the game, Aaron Donald flushed San Francisco 49ers Jimmy Garoppolo out of the pocket and forced him to throw a desperate pass which was intercepted by Howard and that play effectively sent the Rams to Super Bowl 56.

General Manager Les Snead has confirmed that the plans are for Jones and Wagner to be on the field at the same time. One way that Howard could possibly have a regular role would be if Jones is moved to edge rusher to replace Von Miller. That is less likely, especially because of the talent Jones has shown as a mid field leader, but possible given his skills and build. If the more likely alignment occurs, with Jones and Wagner playing the inside linebacker positions, does Howard play a key depth role, maybe a nickel position?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'd hate to see Travin become an afterthought. I would think he'd work in as either a box safety or cover LB on certain passing downs.