Rams select Stetson Bennett (QB) with the 128th pick.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I saw one draft rating that gave the Rams "Stetson Bennett" pick, are you ready, drum roll, ............... D-. Wow!

Let's use that as bulletin board material going forward as we see that we might have picked one of the steals of the draft.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
my immediate reaction was sour - but the more and more expert reaction I see, I like it more and more.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
The more you watch, the more you love the dude.
I watched quite a bit of Georgia - they have been hard to miss the last few years. I’m not an evaluator nor do I pretend to be - but you could always see elusiveness from him - and he made the machine go.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I saw one draft rating that gave the Rams "Stetson Bennett" pick, are you ready, drum roll, ............... D-. Wow!

Let's use that as bulletin board material going forward as we see that we might have picked one of the steals of the draft.
I don't think that's surprising.

Don't recall any draft publication or site, media expert or commentator (national or local), or even any ROD posters on one of the dozens of Mock Drafts over on the RDO NFL Draft Discussion Forum rate or predict Bennett as anything higher than a late-round-pick.

Now it was encouraging that the commentators on ESPN and NFL Network expressed surprise but were then very complimentary towards Bennett's strengths and accomplishments. I did not hear any of them rip the pick but, at #128, it was a surprise.

I'm hoping for the best.:hope:

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I saw several talking heads say that they had 4th round grades on him fwiw.
Before the Draft?!?!

I believe you because you are an honest poster (unlike that @Loyal guy ... keep an eye on him) but I don't recall ANYONE giving Stetson Bennett a 4th round grade before the Draft.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Before the Draft?!?!

I believe you because you are an honest poster (unlike that @Loyal guy ... keep an eye on him) but I don't recall ANYONE giving Stetson Bennett a 4th round grade before the Draft.
I watched a good deal of the draft on YouTube - Michael Renner mentioned a 4th round grade on him.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
14236_bf330a94db9a62a8c424a9378a116701_stetson_cologne.jpg

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I watched a good deal of the draft on YouTube - Michael Renner mentioned a 4th round grade on him.
Before he was selected by the Rams?

Again, I believe you.

I even believe Michael Renner (he's never lied to me).

It's just that I watch and read everything I can of two months leading up to the Draft because I don't watch any college football (so, I have no pre-draft opinions ... and apparently, no life ... other than knowing the consensus of others' opinions and evaluations) ... And, I have No memory of Anyone ... Anywhere ... predicting or rating Bennett as a mid 4th rounder.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Just food for thought, as much as I revere McVay and wouldnt want any other coach, it does bear reminding that Wolford was his choice too and he in fact chose to start him over Goff in a playoff game. Throw in his determination to keep Perkins around, it does allow for some doubt in McVay's QB evaluation process. I get it, he's a small guy and was a gritty player, underdog and likes the same in "his guy", but some times you have to look a little deeper at what's in front of you.
Alas, hope springs eternal, there's a lot to be excited about with this draft class so I cant wait for camp reports, pre-season etc.
Valid points.

McVay isnt without his flaws.
Lets hope he continues to learn from them.
I dont want anyone else coaching our Rams.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Absolute ROPE.. "weak arm".

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

I don't question his arm strength that I have seen enough of, I question his limitations being short plus I am not confident in him from the neck up as I hope he is done marking his territory.

ottoman89

Name
Josh Otto
I don't question his arm strength that I have seen enough of, I question his limitations being short plus I am not confident in him from the neck up as I hope he is done marking his territory.
That's the thing.. people have dogged on his arm strength so much.. and I question if they (not you) have watched him. He throws lasers and when needed puts great touch on the deep balls, and throws a beautiful spiral. He ran a very similar offense to what McVay does at Georgia so that helps.

I get the size concerns, but R4 value for his tape is INCREDIBLE. I REALLY, REALLY, think he can eventually be a baller for us.

I haven't been this excited for a pick in a long time.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I get the size concerns, but R4 value for his tape is INCREDIBLE. I REALLY, REALLY, think he can eventually be a baller for us.

I haven't been this excited for a pick in a long time.
@Loyal will enjoy this too, a close friend of mine, who watches Ram games with me, texted me that he loved the Bennett pick as he texted "He is a winner." My response back was "So was Pat Haden in college." He texted back, "Haden didn't have his arm." and my response was, "Bennett doesn't have Haden's brains." I guess we will see how this plays out, but I actually think he moves well too in the pocket again I always felt like Bennett was just lucky to be on a very talented team and that was all, but again, I hope I am wrong the the Rams & you are right.

ottoman89

Name
Josh Otto
@Loyal will enjoy this too, a close friend of mine, who watches Ram games with me, texted me that he loved the Bennett pick as he texted "He is a winner." My response back was "So was Pat Haden in college." He texted back, "Haden didn't have his arm." and my response was, "Bennett doesn't have Haden's brains." I guess we will see how this plays out, but I actually think he moves well too in the pocket again I always felt like Bennett was just lucky to be on a very talented team and that was all, but again, I hope I am wrong the the Rams & you are right.
I understand your assessment my friend. People talk about the talent he had around him but Bryce Young had 2 first round WRs he threw too. Alabama has the per I think 247 Sports the highest rated team in college by far.

Like I said, I'm not saying he's GOING to be a Super Winning QB, I'm just saying the dude has been underappreciated and an underdog his whole life, and all he does is win Natties and toss dimes.

Now, it's his time to win us a Super Bowl!

Turducken

Starter
My instant reaction was solid back up with potential to emerge, but thought that we grabbed him too early. Then I watched the run on QBs and realized that they must have had him pegged as the best of the Day 3's to fit or system and didn't want to miss out their shot.

McVay knows what he wants and he's tired of trying to coach up UDFA's as backup QB's.

He might have been around in r5, but they didn't want that risk.

Tano

Legend
At the time, I felt this was a huge reach at a QB that should have gone in the 6th round, I felt there were so many guys available in the 4th round that we could have used instead.

However, there was a run on QBs right after this pick so I guess if Stetson was the Rams guy, then the 4th round was appropriate to get him

I do like that Warner gave high marks for him and hopefully he will be a good backup. However, if we lose Stafford for half a season, we are screwed (at least for this season).

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

He doesnt have a plus arm, and frankly that clip doesnt show it. You give any D1 QB a clean pocket and time to step in to a throw, they all can launch it 40 yards. Where arm strength shows up are the throws across field, outside the hash when guys cant put their body in to it. He doesnt have the plus arm strength on those throws.
What the kid does have, and has in spades, is the ability to keep a play alive and look for second, third option.
Like most on the board, I am just happy as all get out that we have replaced Wolford. I hope if given the opportunity to play, he can be better than Johnny Woe, because I cant imagine any worse...

ottoman89

Name
Josh Otto
He doesnt have a plus arm, and frankly that clip doesnt show it. You give any D1 QB a clean pocket and time to step in to a throw, they all can launch it 40 yards. Where arm strength shows up are the throws across field, outside the hash when guys cant put their body in to it. He doesnt have the plus arm strength on those throws.
What the kid does have, and has in spades, is the ability to keep a play alive and look for second, third option.
Like most on the board, I am just happy as all get out that we have replaced Wolford. I hope if given the opportunity to play, he can be better than Johnny Woe, because I cant imagine any worse...
Do you think Levis has a plus arm?