Rams select Stetson Bennett (QB) with the 128th pick.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I understand your assessment my friend. People talk about the talent he had around him but Bryce Young had 2 first round WRs he threw too. Alabama has the per I think 247 Sports the highest rated team in college by far.

Like I said, I'm not saying he's GOING to be a Super Winning QB, I'm just saying the dude has been underappreciated and an underdog his whole life, and all he does is win Natties and toss dimes.

Now, it's his time to win us a Super Bowl!
Even though he is short, his mobility is off the charts! I've seen him some pretty nice throws and I saw him going through his progressions. I don't think he plays a down this year because our Oline will be good-great with a lot of prime beef up front to protect Matthew But it will be fun to watch him doing 11 on 11 drills. @den-the-coach

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He doesnt have a plus arm, and frankly that clip doesnt show it. You give any D1 QB a clean pocket and time to step in to a throw, they all can launch it 40 yards. Where arm strength shows up are the throws across field, outside the hash when guys cant put their body in to it. He doesnt have the plus arm strength on those throws.
What the kid does have, and has in spades, is the ability to keep a play alive and look for second, third option.
Like most on the board, I am just happy as all get out that we have replaced Wolford. I hope if given the opportunity to play, he can be better than Johnny Woe, because I cant imagine any worse...
Joe Montana didn't have that strong of an arm, either.....

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
He's kind of a poor man's Steve Young. Not as fast. Not as tall. Less of an arm. But similar in what he presents to the WCO. His pocket movement is very nice and when he decides to move he is very effective.

I think a good parallel to draw here for putting this pick in perspective is Bryce Young. My criticism of the Panthers taking Young at 1 overall is that you have an undersized QB moving to a higher level of the game who is used to having superior talent around him in comparison to his opponents. His strengths are his intangibles, accuracy, and leadership. But when he steps behind Center in the NFL he's going to be behind an OL that is not on par with every defensive front he faces. When that happens we see the rook and then watch him grow through that and develop to this level of competition. Or not.

Bennett is very similar in that regard. He was in a great offense run by a fantastic coach. Talent around him was top notch. Watch his film and you get to see him go through his reads with much less duress than some of these other QBs dealt with. Watch his passes downfield and his ball often must be adjusted for by the wideout with slower pacing. He is limited and that's why he went where he did, but I don't think he's some reach where we got him. I think what is ridiculous is Young going 1 overall. Us taking a shot on Bennett is a solid pick where we got him.

But back to the duress this is why I observe the BS around some of these guys is overplayed. It happens every year. Their stat sheets are compared in media show after media show like it's some litmus test of truth but nothing is that easy certainly not QB evaluation. One QB might have far more pressure in his face than the other. Truth is none of these guys consistently look good with pressure in their face. There is a point where, if your protections dip enough, that shit is the result and making occasional off-sched plays will not matter.

Compare Bennett to Haener for example and I'd take Haener every time and twice on Sunday. Because he dealt with more BS and had to carry his offense more often than not. That's a kid who is going to gun his ass off for you when he goes into a game with his OL getting trucked and the QB1 on a stretcher. This is not to say I don't like Bennett or anything but I just feel he's like Young and Tua and these other undersized QBs who are who they are to large extent due to the situation and quality of rosters around them.

Ram65

Legend
Take the player you want before he is gone.

The Rams wanted him and got him.

He can pick up the offense quickly by all accounts.

The Rams have a cheap backup QB that has good skills for the job.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's kind of a poor man's Steve Young. Not as fast. Not as tall. Less of an arm. But similar in what he presents to the WCO. His pocket movement is very nice and when he decides to move he is very effective.

I think a good parallel to draw here for putting this pick in perspective is Bryce Young. My criticism of the Panthers taking Young at 1 overall is that you have an undersized QB moving to a higher level of the game who is used to having superior talent around him in comparison to his opponents. His strengths are his intangibles, accuracy, and leadership. But when he steps behind Center in the NFL he's going to be behind an OL that is not on par with every defensive front he faces. When that happens we see the rook and then watch him grow through that and develop to this level of competition. Or not.

Bennett is very similar in that regard. He was in a great offense run by a fantastic coach. Talent around him was top notch. Watch his film and you get to see him go through his reads with much less duress than some of these other QBs dealt with. Watch his passes downfield and his ball often must be adjusted for by the wideout with slower pacing. He is limited and that's why he went where he did, but I don't think he's some reach where we got him. I think what is ridiculous is Young going 1 overall. Us taking a shot on Bennett is a solid pick where we got him.

But back to the duress this is why I observe the BS around some of these guys is overplayed. It happens every year. Their stat sheets are compared in media show after media show like it's some litmus test of truth but nothing is that easy certainly not QB evaluation. One QB might have far more pressure in his face than the other. Truth is none of these guys consistently look good with pressure in their face. There is a point where, if your protections dip enough, that shit is the result and making occasional off-sched plays will not matter.

Compare Bennett to Haener for example and I'd take Haener every time and twice on Sunday. Because he dealt with more BS and had to carry his offense more often than not. That's a kid who is going to gun his ass off for you when he goes into a game with his OL getting trucked and the QB1 on a stretcher. This is not to say I don't like Bennett or anything but I just feel he's like Young and Tua and these other undersized QBs who are who they are to large extent due to the situation and quality of rosters around them.
You're wrong about Bryce Young.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You're wrong about Bryce Young.
I know you're high on him. We'll see how it plays out. And if I'm wrong it certainly won't be the first time.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I am not sure where you stand, but do you agree with others that Bennet is no better than Wolford? This is just silly to me. Also, did you see Kurt Warner's breakdown of his play vs Ohio State? It wasn't a highlight reel, but it looked like one with how many great plays he made. Are you sure he's slower than Steve Young? The dude outrace the whole Auburn defense to score plus 60 yard TD!

Look, we drafted him to be a back up with little expectation that he'll ever be our starting Qb. BUT, what if he's better than any of us expect? I know for one thing, he's a big upgrade in my book over both back up QB's from last year.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am not sure where you stand, but do you agree with others that Bennet is no better than Wolford? This is just silly to me. Also, did you see Kurt Warner's breakdown of his play vs Ohio State? It wasn't a highlight reel, but it looked like one with how many great plays he made. Are you sure he's slower than Steve Young? The dude outrace the whole Auburn defense to score plus 60 yard TD!

Look, we drafted him to be a back up with little expectation that he'll ever be our starting Qb. BUT, what if he's better than any of us expect? I know for one thing, he's a big upgrade in my book over both back up QB's from last year.
I have not said he cannot be a good QB in this league. I said he's probably a backup. Because as I keep saying height matters at this level. There are outliers who can overcome it but it is a problem for a QB to be staring at the numbers of the OL in front of him. Those guys have to see the field in gaps and mentally track positioning and angle of defenders moreso than a guy who is say 6'6" as a first overall choice that gets to see over the shoulders of his linemen.

So I am not placing any limits on him. For the record. I am simply saying that he was taken about where he should have been because he's a QB with a height issue who had everything in his favor in college. The dude had all fucking day to throw.

As we are aware all QBs with time to throw look pretty good. What will he look like behind our OL? We'll see. But he's gonna make more mistakes and look like a rook if he has to play for us this year. Long term we'll see.

Fine with the pick. And I trust McVay and the staff on these QBs too. As to him vs Wolford I know he's not a dumbass who is going to run into DL and get a concussion. He runs but is smart about it. Very surgical. Wolford for all his brains is a fucking idiot with contact.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Arrested for public intoxication.
Got it not the phrase I'd use for a kid getting drunk in public but that's ok :) I'm with most people that don't think it was a big deal. I do like how he handled it after the fact and stood up and owned it. Showed he'd matured and grown from it.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Had the same velocity as Levis.
Which doesn't mean anything. Here are some past velocities:
Baker Mayfield - 60 mph
Brett Rypien - 59 mph
Kirk Cousins - 59 mph
Jared Goff - 58 mph
Austin Davis - 58 mph
Carson Wentz - 57 mph
Sean Mannion - 57 mph
Chase Daniel - 57 mph
Jimmy Garoppolo - 56 mph
Andy Dalton - 56 mph
Cam Newton - 56 mph
Colt McCoy - 56 mph
Justin Herbert - 55 mph
Gardner Minshew - 55 mph
Patrick Mahomes - 55 mph
Russell Wilson - 55 mph
Case Keenum - 55 mph
Joe Flacco - 55 mph
Drew Lock - 54 mph
Dak Prescott - 54 mph
Lamar Jackson - 49 mph

Do you think Jared Goff, Jimmy Garoppolo, and Kirk Cousins have stronger arms than Patrick Mahomes, Joe Flacco (in his prime), and Justin Herbert? Do you think that Chase Daniel and Colt McCoy have stronger arms than Russell Wilson (in his prime), much less Patrick Mahomes? Do you think Lamar Jackson has one of the weakest arms in the NFL while Brett Rypien has one of the strongest?

The answer to all these questions is obviously not. And it's because some guys try harder than others in the velocity drill, usually guys who have something to prove regarding their arms (whereas guys who have nothing to prove can often be lackadaisical).

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
My biggest gripe about this pick is the one AFTER him at #129–Fehoko, Edge (SJS). I really wanted to see him in camp as a possible addition to our Edge by committee. Fehoko was one of my wish list picks.

Oh well, maybe the cowboys have too much talent on that side of the ball and cut him.