Rams select Stetson Bennett (QB) with the 128th pick.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But he didn't have a cannon of an arm, was my point.
And he wasnt 5'10.
Stetson isnt a starter prospect, and wasnt drafted to be.
He has his limitations, I've seen him undressed by Alabama in a couple ugly losses. But I've also seen him face the adversity against Bama, and watched him come back against them when he threw a couple of Td passes to win the game.
He has his limitations which is why he was a 4th rounder.
The mistake made by myself, and others critical of the pick, was in faulting the round he was taken. In retrospect, after seeing the run of QB's taken, he was drafted exactly where he needed to be. I'll always believe that its better to draft the guy you want, if its several spots or even a round early vs losing the guy and settling on someone else.
So they got "their guy" who is now "our guy" and if his number is called he'll be my favorite QB

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Had the same velocity as Levis.
Again, thats measured where they can wind up, step in and use all of their body to exert. It doesnt determine arm strength. They are playing D3 if they cant

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Which doesn't mean anything. Here are some past velocities:
Baker Mayfield - 60 mph
Brett Rypien - 59 mph
Kirk Cousins - 59 mph
Jared Goff - 58 mph
Austin Davis - 58 mph
Carson Wentz - 57 mph
Sean Mannion - 57 mph
Chase Daniel - 57 mph
Jimmy Garoppolo - 56 mph
Andy Dalton - 56 mph
Cam Newton - 56 mph
Colt McCoy - 56 mph
Justin Herbert - 55 mph
Gardner Minshew - 55 mph
Patrick Mahomes - 55 mph
Russell Wilson - 55 mph
Case Keenum - 55 mph
Joe Flacco - 55 mph
Drew Lock - 54 mph
Dak Prescott - 54 mph
Lamar Jackson - 49 mph

Do you think Jared Goff, Jimmy Garoppolo, and Kirk Cousins have stronger arms than Patrick Mahomes, Joe Flacco (in his prime), and Justin Herbert? Do you think that Chase Daniel and Colt McCoy have stronger arms than Russell Wilson (in his prime), much less Patrick Mahomes? Do you think Lamar Jackson has one of the weakest arms in the NFL while Brett Rypien has one of the strongest?

The answer to all these questions is obviously not. And it's because some guys try harder than others in the velocity drill, usually guys who have something to prove regarding their arms (whereas guys who have nothing to prove can often be lackadaisical).
I understand what you mean, but the bullshit about him having a noodle arm is a joke.

I can't wait to see him prove all the haters fuckin wrong.

And for the record, I know USC nuts want the tank for Caleb shit to exist, but I can't wait until we don't tank for him (and no I'm not talking specifically about you jrry32)... Kind of like I can't wait to see USC get there asses handed to them again by the Hawkeye Defense.

Stetson has always been under appreciated and hated.

I don't obviously know shit about fuck, but I just have some wild feelings that he's going to prove once again that he was overlooked.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is just nonsense.
Being critical of the pick is not being a hater. He has his share of limitations, and pointing those out and why that makes one unhappy with the selection does not make them "a hater"

ottoman89

Name
Josh Otto
This is just nonsense.
Being critical of the pick is not being a hater. He has his share of limitations, and pointing those out and why that makes one unhappy with the selection does not make them "a hater"
I know. I'm talking more about the dudes that say "he sucks" blah blah blah. I understand if you have legitimate concerns. I just hate when people say someone sucks because they hate the pick/player. There's also a lot of Bennett fatigue.

I'm wrong 85% of the time. But I truly believe this is going to be a pick that in 4-5 years we say wow, we had this opinion wrong.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Got it not the phrase I'd use for a kid getting drunk in public but that's ok :) I'm with most people that don't think it was a big deal. I do like how he handled it after the fact and stood up and owned it. Showed he'd matured and grown from it.
IDK I guess if you’re not a fan of someone you identify the negatives, but he’s not 22, he’s 25 & I just thought he outta know better. Again I will try & give him more of a chance, but I was truly hoping for someone else.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have not said he cannot be a good QB in this league. I said he's probably a backup. Because as I keep saying height matters at this level. There are outliers who can overcome it but it is a problem for a QB to be staring at the numbers of the OL in front of him. Those guys have to see the field in gaps and mentally track positioning and angle of defenders moreso than a guy who is say 6'6" as a first overall choice that gets to see over the shoulders of his linemen.

So I am not placing any limits on him. For the record. I am simply saying that he was taken about where he should have been because he's a QB with a height issue who had everything in his favor in college. The dude had all fucking day to throw.

As we are aware all QBs with time to throw look pretty good. What will he look like behind our OL? We'll see. But he's gonna make more mistakes and look like a rook if he has to play for us this year. Long term we'll see.

Fine with the pick. And I trust McVay and the staff on these QBs too. As to him vs Wolford I know he's not a dumbass who is going to run into DL and get a concussion. He runs but is smart about it. Very surgical. Wolford for all his brains is a fucking idiot with contact.
I disagree with you on one point. I think our line can be much better than last year
Jackson-Avila-Allen-Bruss-Havenstein
I think Avila is a straight up stud with meat on those bones! I think he'll be a Pro Bowler after 2023 and an All Pro in 2024. He instantly makes us better in stopping tackles from going up the gut at Stafford, and will make it easier for the center and the LT, IMO.
So what's good for Stafford protection wise, is just as good for the rookie.

ottoman89

Name
Josh Otto
IDK I guess if you’re not a fan of someone you identify the negatives, but he’s not 22, he’s 25 & I just thought he outta know better. Again I will try & give him more of a chance, but I was truly hoping for someone else.
I'm 33 and can get a public intoxication most nights lol

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I most certainly was drunk and in public a lot at 25 and I'm wagering a lot of people around here were too. He's a kid still in college no matter the age.

As for the negativity to picks/players/coaches that'll never end it's too ingrained around here. Sometimes it gets way too toxic and you have to make jokes about it like I am making a joke with my avatar.

nighttrain

Legend
ha, too late now!
train

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And he wasnt 5'10.
Stetson isnt a starter prospect, and wasnt drafted to be.
He has his limitations, I've seen him undressed by Alabama in a couple ugly losses. But I've also seen him face the adversity against Bama, and watched him come back against them when he threw a couple of Td passes to win the game.
He has his limitations which is why he was a 4th rounder.
The mistake made by myself, and others critical of the pick, was in faulting the round he was taken. In retrospect, after seeing the run of QB's taken, he was drafted exactly where he needed to be. I'll always believe that its better to draft the guy you want, if its several spots or even a round early vs losing the guy and settling on someone else.
So they got "their guy" who is now "our guy" and if his number is called he'll be my favorite QB
In my collection of posts I've said essentially everything you did, except I believe he has a higher ceiling than you do, which is ok.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Knock us all you want for picking our backup QB with a 4th rounder - but at least we didn’t pick a kicker with a 3rd.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Knock us all you want for picking our backup QB with a 4th rounder - but at least we didn’t pick a kicker with a 3rd.
And we were part of a record number of QB's picked in the first 150 picks. The Rams have said they targeted a QB and they took him when everybody else was taking theirs. I have no problem with what they did personally.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I most certainly was drunk and in public a lot at 25 and I'm wagering a lot of people around here were too. He's a kid still in college no matter the age.

As for the negativity to picks/players/coaches that'll never end it's too ingrained around here. Sometimes it gets way too toxic and you have to make jokes about it like I am making a joke with my avatar.
Plus, he could buy beer for the 20 year olds...lol

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is just nonsense.
hater!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I understand what you mean, but the bullshit about him having a noodle arm is a joke.

And for the record, I know USC nuts want the tank for Caleb shit to exist, but I can't wait until we don't tank for him (and no I'm not talking specifically about you jrry32)... Kind of like I can't wait to see USC get there asses handed to them again by the Hawkeye Defense.

Stetson has always been under appreciated and hated.

I don't obviously know shit about fuck, but I just have some wild feelings that he's going to prove once again that he was overlooked.
I didn't say he has a noodle arm. His arm is adequate. But it's a weak point. He can't drive the ball with the ease that your average starting QB can. It makes his game far more reliant on timing and gives him less margin for error. That said, it's not fatal to his chances of being a quality player.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

There's more to the story than Stetson being drunk in public once. He'll need to grow up in the NFL. Hopefully, with Stafford to guide him, he will.

ottoman89

Name
Josh Otto
I didn't say he has a noodle arm. His arm is adequate. But it's a weak point. He can't drive the ball with the ease that your average starting QB can. It makes his game far more reliant on timing and gives him less margin for error. That said, it's not fatal to his chances of being a quality player.
I know you didn't say it, I didn't mean to make you feel that way!

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
This is just nonsense.
And ... Personally ...

I'm not suggesting that I read, viewed and heard everything from everyone out there about the 2023 draft prospects. However, I did read, view and hear a ton of commentary and analysis from the sites, publications and commentators; and ... I do not recall a single projection or evaluation that Stetson Bennett was anything but a late-round or undrafted free agent prospect.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
The Rams also have the guy who blocked for Stetson so maybe the front office see's something I don't but who knows. His highlights are awesome if you ask me. For a small player he has heart and loves to win.