Rams select Stetson Bennett (QB) with the 128th pick.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Public intoxication where he said to the arresting officer, "Do you know who I am?!"

He's apparently had more issues like that.
At least no one was killed, which was the outcome of Jalen Carter street racing against his drunk roommate who had four people in his car. Two fatalities. Carter wasn’t drinking, but was fortunate imo not to be charged with one or more serious felonies.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
One thing we can gleam from this pick is the maturation of McVay. Backup QB is now a real position.

In terms of comps, Minchew range is fair.

And considering that we came into the draft without a 4th, there is no basis for FO criticism.

Unlike one of the QBs we could have drafted later, Bennett is far ahead in terms of development. I imagine he'll light up preseason anyway.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
To go a little deeper into detail on Stetson Bennett, here's what I see. He's obviously a small guy with a slight build, but he's a tough dude who will stand and deliver in the face of pressure. He's an underrated athlete. A 4.67 40 doesn't fully capture his mobility. He accelerates quickly, and he's very agile. It makes him a dangerous runner and a frustrating guy to play against for defenders.

In terms of passing ability, his arm strength is adequate. He can make the short and intermediate throws. He can make off platform throws. But when he has to push the ball down the field, the WRs are often making adjustments because he can't rip it like guys who have elite arms can. His accuracy is solid. He'll make some really nice throws. He puts a high a percentage on target, although not always in the strike zone. But he also has some frustrating misses. He does have a quick release and shows some ability to change arm angles to work around defenders.

Moving to the mental side, this is where he really shines. Decision making is mixed. He's good for a handful of throws each game that leave you scratching your head. It may just be overconfidence in his ability to fit passes into tight windows. But he'll need to cut down on those sorts of plays in the NFL, because NFL athletes will make him pay in a way college athletes didn't. That all said, he reads the field extremely well, moves through progressions with ease, and throws with the sort of anticipation you see in quality NFL starters. He's also very comfortable working in the pocket, feels pressure, and moves effectively in the pocket (particularly in terms of his ability to move to open space and find throwing lanes when forced off his spot).

The final part I want to discuss are the intangibles. On the negative side, I've heard that he's had some maturity issues and can be very cocky. On the plus side, this is a guy who beat out and held off multiple highly rated QBs to win the starting job on the most talented team in college football and then led them to back-to-back national titles. He's been underestimated his entire life, has refused to quit, and has consistently exceeded expectations. He's a gamer who has elevated his play in big games. And he's a winner. He also maintains his composure on the field.

All in all, I think it's a fine pick. Any QB you draft on Day 3 is going to have flaws. If there are attributes worth gambling on, they're mental acuity and intangibles. Stetson has those in droves. Will he ever be a starter? I don't know. I can't count him out, but he's not the sort of elite thrower that you typically see in a quality starting QB. But I do think he can be a quality backup if the maturity is there.

The guy he reminds me of is Taylor Heinicke. Stetson is smaller and more athletic, but he plays the game with the same kind of reckless abandon that Heinicke does.
Like a modern day Fran Tarkenton...except back then DL were 240-250lbs. Now they are 280 to 330.

Hope he can be a solid back up and that they can keep Stafford healthy for 3 yrs.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

kurt was one of the best and he likes him that's good enough for me.

also, mcvay is the best thing that has ever happened to the rams and if he likes him there can't be a better endorsement.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler

kurt was one of the best and he likes him that's good enough for me.

also, mcvay is the best thing that has ever happened to the rams and if he likes him there can't be a better endorsement.

I agree. I wish to withdraw my knee jerk reaction :)

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The more I read and see from you guys and analysts the more I like the pick. I don't think we're counting on him to be the next guy after Stafford but I really like him as our #2 QB going forward.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just food for thought, as much as I revere McVay and wouldnt want any other coach, it does bear reminding that Wolford was his choice too and he in fact chose to start him over Goff in a playoff game. Throw in his determination to keep Perkins around, it does allow for some doubt in McVay's QB evaluation process. I get it, he's a small guy and was a gritty player, underdog and likes the same in "his guy", but some times you have to look a little deeper at what's in front of you.
Alas, hope springs eternal, there's a lot to be excited about with this draft class so I cant wait for camp reports, pre-season etc.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
The more I read and see from you guys and analysts the more I like the pick. I don't think we're counting on him to be the next guy after Stafford but I really like him as our #2 QB going forward.
He's a dude that grows on you. I've tried to watch him every chance I get. He's must see TV at times. He's been bet against most of his career and all he does it make plays, and absolutely balls out. And he's got that cockiness and moxy that I love.

I saw this tweet earlier and it really puts it into perspective how underappreciated he is...

View: https://twitter.com/kalev8019/status/1652335423723560962?t=MBoSzn0VqFAMZZvMtC4fXg&s=19

tempests

Hall of Fame
Wolford was his choice too and he in fact chose to start him over Goff in a playoff game. Throw in his determination to keep Perkins around, it does allow for some doubt in McVay's QB evaluation process.
Goff had broke his thumb 12 days before.

Jared had to gut his way through everything that day. It was remarkable that he could even play at all.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just food for thought, as much as I revere McVay and wouldnt want any other coach, it does bear reminding that Wolford was his choice too and he in fact chose to start him over Goff in a playoff game. Throw in his determination to keep Perkins around, it does allow for some doubt in McVay's QB evaluation process. I get it, he's a small guy and was a gritty player, underdog and likes the same in "his guy", but some times you have to look a little deeper at what's in front of you.
Alas, hope springs eternal, there's a lot to be excited about with this draft class so I cant wait for camp reports, pre-season etc.
McVay has more than earned some skepticism for his choices. I've been vocal about that in regards to some of his personnel choices and contracts that he's dished out. Likewise yourself and others should give the player a chance. Throw aside your dislike of him and allow the process to happen before writing him off as having no chance. Fair is fair.

Londoner

Twitchy sophomore.
I love it when draft analysis says a player was a “reach”. Nobody sat behind their keyboard in their mum’s basement is privy to the intel that NFL draft rooms have, let alone the analytics and data.

Saying that a player was a reach is just throwing their toys out of the pram and tantamount to saying that their big board is better than the pros’.

Tumak61

Pro Bowler
Name
Tumak61
Being able to throw with anticipation is a great trait for an NFL QB.
Again Wolford set the bar so low, What's not to like about Bennet?