Rams select Stetson Bennett (QB) with the 128th pick.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Aaron Rodgers was a Super Bowl winner and widely regarded as one of the better quarterbacks in the league. He's a well-known diva. Tom Brady is regarded by many as a top quarterback, and he ditched his wife when she had cancer.

Just because you're a winner - in college, mind you - doesn't mean that you're a character guy.

Well He will Put His Big Boy Pants on!! He is in The NFL NOW

Whatever you want to think about him is fine & if he fell to The Rams because of character issues well so be it.

He will be close to Disneyland & Universal to fit in LA.I’m actually a little excited to see what he can do in The NFL ? If there is a good QB for him to learn from Mathew Stafford is it.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Little weird his call with Les and Sean most guys are very excited even if they try to act cool. Stetson seemed like it wasn't cool to be a Ram jmo.

muggmeister

Rookie
This is a joke of a pick. Why not Dorian Thompson-Robinson or Aidan O’Connell?

Stetson Bennett in the 4th round? I dont understand what we are doing…
Just for the record, we could have stayed where we were and drafted Jalin Hyatt and J. Hall (BYU) in the 5th instead of Turner and Bennett.

dang

Legend
Little weird his call with Les and Sean most guys are very excited even if they try to act cool. Stetson seemed like it wasn't cool to be a Ram jmo.
Does he think he should have been drafted earlier? Or by a team needing a starter?

jjab360

Legend
Am I the only one not upset by this pick?

Let me preface this by saying I don't really watch college football and so I only had a vague idea of who this dude even was. When I realized we were going to have to draft a QB, I really only paid attention to the consensus top 5 guys.

So what's the main reason for all the hate here? He's too small? Dude look at the no.1 overall pick. He has character issues? The guy had too much to drink celebrating his SECOND national championship, wandered around, and had the cops called on him. Nobody was hurt and if you watch the bodycam footage it's really not even that bad. I've done worse in my life and so have you. I came away impressed in his interviews, seems like a solid dude and just an overall football nut. I think people think he has an ego but it's clear he's had the humility beat into him from being told he's not good enough over and over again. And not for nothing, his teammates seem to love him too I don't see a Zach Wilson situation here.

Maybe it's the fatigue of college football fans having to hear about him all the time, but looking at him with a fresh set of eyes there's clearly a lot to like. The arm strength is there, the intermediate and deep accuracy, the mobility, and despite being the most successful QB in college football he wasn't even throwing to all-world WRs like the top two QBs taken this year (that TE is pretty damn good though).

If there's an obvious weakness, show it to me. Other than that, I'd say give the kid a chance. McVay has never drafted a QB before and this is the guy he settled on, I think that's saying something.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
He's a straight to business dude, he sounded like he does in most interviews

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Am I the only one not upset by this pick?

Let me preface this by saying I don't really watch college football and so I only had a vague idea of who this dude even was. When I realized we were going to have to draft a QB, I really only paid attention to the consensus top 5 guys.

So what's the main reason for all the hate here? He's too small? Dude look at the no.1 overall pick. He has character issues? The guy had too much to drink celebrating his SECOND national championship, wandered around, and had the cops called on him. Nobody was hurt and if you watch the bodycam footage it's really not even that bad. I've done worse in my life and so have you. I came away impressed in his interviews, seems like a solid dude and just an overall football nut. I think people think he has an ego but it's clear he's had the humility beat into him from being told he's not good enough over and over again. And not for nothing, his teammates seem to love him too I don't see a Zach Wilson situation here.

Maybe it's the fatigue of college football fans having to hear about him all the time, but looking at him with a fresh set of eyes there's clearly a lot to like. The arm strength is there, the intermediate and deep accuracy, the mobility, and despite being the most successful QB in college football he wasn't even throwing to all-world WRs like the top two QBs taken this year (that TE is pretty damn good though).

If there's an obvious weakness, show it to me. Other than that, I'd say give the kid a chance. McVay has never drafted a QB before and this is the guy he settled on, I think that's saying something.
Not the only one at all.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I am starting to LOOOOOVE this pick too.

Saw a few highlight plays that were WOW worthy. GREAT anticipation, GREAT decision making, GREAT field vision, GREAT accuracy.

And yeah, some nice running moves. (Hope he limits that and learns how to protect himself).

I'll admit it... my first reaction was very negative, personality wise. Every picture I saw of him made him look like an arrogant over-the-top asshole. And then I saw that ESPN interview when he was drunk on his ass and could barely talk. But since then I saw some interviews where he seemed pretty normal... maybe it's easier to "tone down" that shit than it is to crank it up.

Regardless... the more I hear about him, the better it gets. McVay and Snead were in love with this guy from day one. Kellen Clemens went to scout him and said his football IQ was "off the charts." And now Kurt Warner in "Study Ball" is gushing all over, saying he has all the necessary tools and makes excellent reads with nice touch. Warner pretty much says the only knock on him is his size... but look at Bryce Young?

Anyway, I think the doubters will be pleasantly surprised.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
While Rams G.M. Les Snead was studying Georgia offensive linemen, QB Stetson Bennett stood out

“Georgia has got a good offensive line so anytime you’d go to watch defenders in the SEC you’d go, ‘Oh, let’s watch Georgia. They’re the best team. They’ve got a good offensive line and it was interesting,'” Snead told reporters. “You just come away going, ‘Wow, I thought people said [Bennett] was just maybe, whatever kind of manage-the-game-type QB.’ But what you did is you just go, ‘Whoa, wait a minute. Look at that guy move. Look at him buy some time. Look at him anticipate some throws.’ And just you come away thinking, ‘Wow, he was a weapon for Georgia.’ And I made a joke internally that he’s got a bad P.R. agent because his image is not maybe being, let’s call it a talented player, was probably a little false.”

Coach Sean McVay agreed.

“Because of the background and the way that he became the starter at Georgia is a little bit unconventional and it wasn’t the five-star route, but I think it minimized the athleticism, the ability to create off-schedule,” McVay told reporters. “He’s a natural thrower of the football. He can play with great anticipation, throws the ball with accuracy, plays within the timing. I think [former Georgia offensive coordinator Todd] Monken, who’s now with the Ravens, they did a great job where it’s an easier eval because you can see a lot of the concepts that maybe you would ask him to execute.

“And he’s around great players, but he elevated those guys. He sees the field well. You can seize processing things quickly and he’s a lot better athlete than people give him credit for. And I think there’s an edge to him that’s a positive. You want some competitors that have some stuff to him that things don’t always go well, they’re unfazed and they can kind of move on and be able to reset themselves. “And credit to Les and really [quarterbacks coach] Zac Robinson and [offensive coordinator] Mike LaFleur and really his scouting staff where they had identified Stetson early in the process and we wanted to have an all-Athens UGA quarterback room and that’s what we’ve got right now.”

Click link to read the rest of the article.

sloramfan

Starter
i'll say this with confidence..

i'm way better with this guy than either wolford or perkins...

and more confident if he has to play (God forbid)...

go rams

slo

Tumak61

Pro Bowler
Name
Tumak61
Wolford set the bar so low I'd be happy with Alf being our QB. Football IQ and anticipation are so key at the NFL level.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
To go a little deeper into detail on Stetson Bennett, here's what I see. He's obviously a small guy with a slight build, but he's a tough dude who will stand and deliver in the face of pressure. He's an underrated athlete. A 4.67 40 doesn't fully capture his mobility. He accelerates quickly, and he's very agile. It makes him a dangerous runner and a frustrating guy to play against for defenders.

In terms of passing ability, his arm strength is adequate. He can make the short and intermediate throws. He can make off platform throws. But when he has to push the ball down the field, the WRs are often making adjustments because he can't rip it like guys who have elite arms can. His accuracy is solid. He'll make some really nice throws. He puts a high a percentage on target, although not always in the strike zone. But he also has some frustrating misses. He does have a quick release and shows some ability to change arm angles to work around defenders.

Moving to the mental side, this is where he really shines. Decision making is mixed. He's good for a handful of throws each game that leave you scratching your head. It may just be overconfidence in his ability to fit passes into tight windows. But he'll need to cut down on those sorts of plays in the NFL, because NFL athletes will make him pay in a way college athletes didn't. That all said, he reads the field extremely well, moves through progressions with ease, and throws with the sort of anticipation you see in quality NFL starters. He's also very comfortable working in the pocket, feels pressure, and moves effectively in the pocket (particularly in terms of his ability to move to open space and find throwing lanes when forced off his spot).

The final part I want to discuss are the intangibles. On the negative side, I've heard that he's had some maturity issues and can be very cocky. On the plus side, this is a guy who beat out and held off multiple highly rated QBs to win the starting job on the most talented team in college football and then led them to back-to-back national titles. He's been underestimated his entire life, has refused to quit, and has consistently exceeded expectations. He's a gamer who has elevated his play in big games. And he's a winner. He also maintains his composure on the field.

All in all, I think it's a fine pick. Any QB you draft on Day 3 is going to have flaws. If there are attributes worth gambling on, they're mental acuity and intangibles. Stetson has those in droves. Will he ever be a starter? I don't know. I can't count him out, but he's not the sort of elite thrower that you typically see in a quality starting QB. But I do think he can be a quality backup if the maturity is there.

The guy he reminds me of is Taylor Heinicke. Stetson is smaller and more athletic, but he plays the game with the same kind of reckless abandon that Heinicke does.

Last edited: