Rams select Stetson Bennett (QB) with the 128th pick.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
No comment
Screenshot_20230820_002837_Chrome.jpg

TexasRam

Legend
I thought Bennett had a nice game when you put a little context into play.

He had two dropped passes on third down. One over the middle and low but catchable to I believe Tyler Johnson he had another one to the left to Robinson dropped.

He had an interception on what was most likely his WR and him not on the same page. Rookie QB playing with rookie WR's. This is totally expected in a preseason game.

He still looks better then most of his peers. Those rookie QB's looking like dogshit. Richardson, Stroud, Young.

Rookie QB's in preseason folks. Not season vets with seasoned WR's.

He also had several throws that were just dimes and pinpoint accurate balls. Moving the team down the field. This is not the norm. We almost never saw this with Perkins, Wolford or what about Mannion.

Further Bennett showed his running ability around the goaline.

What did you expect to see? Does anyone remember when we all were shitting on Stafford for several weeks in our Super Bowl season when he was breaking the NFL record in pick 6's and throwing erratically? Shit Happens. Even with NFL vets.

But we are talking a rookie in his 2nd preseason game. LOL. Come on man.

I would also note that he is very decisive and reads the field real quick. He has what it takes upstairs. He doesn't hold onto the ball and look confused and take needless sacks. He reads decides and throws with accuracy, most of the time. He has no Kupp or Puka or Higbee to rely on. So not sure what we expect.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I'm loving what I see from Bennett. People expecting perfect football from a rookie qb have unrealistic expectations.

TexasRam

Legend

I'm loving what I see from Bennett. People expecting perfect football from a rookie qb have unrealistic expectations.

It's laughable to me. No Kupp, No Higbee, not even a Puka or Tutu to lean on.

The decision making and accuracy jumps off the screen.

The only concerns that I still have are regarding the arm strength. The one pass late to the left side that almost got picked suggests he might be limited in some of the NFL throws neccesary. But we shall see. Lots of QBs make a living on the quick accurate pass combined with some other things like mobility.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Bennett was drafted to be a backup. Nothing more. He's gonna have his bumps and bruises in these games. Part of it is his learning curve. Part of it is he's playing with subs and guys who won't be making the roster.

If you thought they planned for him to be a big part of the offense, you might want to adjust your expectations. He's a backup. A rookie backup. They didn't have the cap money to sign a vet backup. Those guys don't come cheap. Bennett should be better than his predecessors.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
But we are talking a rookie in his 2nd preseason game. LOL. Come on man.

I would also note that he is very decisive and reads the field real quick. He has what it takes upstairs. He doesn't hold onto the ball and look confused and take needless sacks. He reads decides and throws with accuracy, most of the time. He has no Kupp or Puka or Higbee to rely on. So not sure what we expect.
Nice post.

Bennett admitted on the INT he threw the ball to the wrong route. So he's still sorting shit mentally, still trying to master the offense. This is a nuanced passing game under McVay with a lot of subtlety that affect the QB and pass catchers, where to play with say Kupp you gotta have a deep grasp of the concepts behind the scheme. And there is no reason for them to try to dumb it down to build confidence for Bennett, because they have a top quality starter ready to go at QB. They're running their offense and letting him acclimate and it's been good in important ways so far.

He needs to do better. What I would like to see for game three is a performance like his first outing but without the 3x stupid decisions he made at the beginning. But there's a lot of quality in his product and I recognize that fact. Also I recognize that what he does well are the types of things that routinely fuck over QBs at this level. He's quick through reads, sees the field well, moves quickly and instinctively in the pocket, and he's accurate. That's a lot to like after two preseason games.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Nice post.

Bennett admitted on the INT he threw the ball to the wrong route. So he's still sorting shit mentally, still trying to master the offense. This is a nuanced passing game under McVay with a lot of subtlety that affect the QB and pass catchers, where to play with say Kupp you gotta have a deep grasp of the concepts behind the scheme.

Happy to give the kid some rope as he's gonna be our backup and I don't expect more from him than that. He needs to learn.

That being said, we're running 1st day install in preseason games. We are not running anything like our full offense. That was a simple in route with no checks. He got the play wrong. It's not the end of the world and he's learning a new language and offense but he got a very basic play wrong.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Pre-season is the time for mistakes. Bennett will learn a heck of a lot more from the tape showing the mistakes. Again, coming from one who was a huge critic of the pick, I am highly enthused about his play. For instance, he had an opportunity to run for a 1st down, appeared to have an open lane, but he took a shot in the EZ (or close to it) instead. I like that a whole lot. Sure, when the bullets are real and if he gets in a game, I fully expect him to use his legs. But for now, it's all about learning.

Tano

Legend
Happy to give the kid some rope as he's gonna be our backup and I don't expect more from him than that. He needs to learn.

That being said, we're running 1st day install in preseason games. We are not running anything like our full offense. That was a simple in route with no checks. He got the play wrong. It's not the end of the world and he's learning a new language and offense but he got a very basic play wrong.
I agree

It's not like it was a bad pass where he overthrows a receiver or underthrows a receiver

It was a simple communication error between him and the receiver and he stated it was all on him for not having a completely firm grasp of the playbook. Rookie error - that is all

I didn't have one issue with his game other than his inexperience.

Wolford and Perkins couldn't throw an accurate pass beyond 20 yards. I am good with him as our backup this year.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Yes of course they're running vanilla scheme out there without the option routes and all that nuance, but to date he hasn't been trying to only learn the basic offense. I am sure he's been exposed to all of it as they teach the offense to him from the ground up. So he's probably a bit buried by the depth of it on the mental side. He has to be.

I imagine McVay has told him he wants to see some mistake-free ball in the next game. Make your reads and if it's not there throw it away, or take the ground yards if there, etc. So it's definitely going to be important for him to show he can take a step forward in this final preseason game.

But the Rams basically accepted all this when they brought in inexperienced backup options. When there's no vet presence that means you're willing to accept a guy in that role who has the elements you want and going forward it's a work in progress. And this might blow up in their faces, for the record. But just like with the Boom move last year it's an approach that I get and I'm not gonna second guess them for taking their shot on the guy they liked. In fact I get now why they liked him and am looking forward to seeing what he can do in this third game.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Got to figure Rypien is gonna get some PT so he has a chance to make the team, right? Or maybe what's done is done and Bennett will get all the work?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I haven't seen or heard it either. I remember him saying something more to the effect of you use different strategies depending on the situation. I don't think he ruled out fuck them picks but I really don't think he said we're going back to that strategy.

Hard to say with Les. But I'm guessing it will be more determined by what this group of players is able to accomplish this season.

Hell... If they shock us all, I wouldn't be surprised by a "fuck them picks" kind of trade this season. I just won't hold my breath.

But if I'm recalling right, Les alluded to the idea that we were going toward a more sustained approach unless they see a situation too good to pass.
Win Super Bowls with multiple roster building styles IMO.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Also, although he won't get 1st team reps during the season, he should get great experience running the scout team and playing against our 1s on defense. He can grow a lot this season regardless if he ever gets on the field with the starters (which we PRAY he does not unless it is a blowout either way).

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
My projected regular season stats for Stetson Bennett as a rookie.

Pass attempts: 0
Completions: 0
Yards: 0
TDs: 0
Interceptions: 0

Rushing yards: -10 (from kneel downs he takes on Stafford's behalf in blowout wins).

Tell me you don't hope I'm right!
Only one you missed;

Games: 20

:horns: