Rams select Stetson Bennett (QB) with the 128th pick.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I dont think anyone hated the pick nor took backlash more than myself
Alas, shit happens with kids and we still dont even know what's up.
The bigger issue IMO is that they dont even have a QB on PS

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Long way to go with him to determine if he can stick in this league. So easy on the victory laps fellas. Guy has some stuff to like about him, of course we have no idea what is really going on but assuming it's rehab we should be getting him back at some point and if so he might get some game time.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Yeah, I know some posters don't like to speculate on here but there's nothing wrong in taking available info and extrapolating a logical conclusion. Dude's probably in rehab. Hope it works out. It has for Max Crosby.

Still, he's just a backup. We have a decision to make on a starter in the next 1-2 years.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Considering they need a backup who's available with any experience?

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I hated the pick then and I hate it even more now. When is the last time a mid round or late round draft pick went on to become a different maker at QB, as opposed to an average starter or worse (and even that would be a smashing success for the draft position)? Russel Wilson? Dak Prescott? Kirk Cousins? It seems like it happens only once every several years... I wouldn't even bother wasting draft capital on a QB after round 2. Sure, it is possible they become something. The Rams saw the Kurt Warner miracle story first hand. But it is statistically extremely unlikely. Far better off going RB, CB, or any other position where players regularly get picked in that range and go on to be difference makers. For QBs, you basically need to invest prime draft capital or pay up via free agency, or you can forget about it. It was for this reason I disliked the Bennett pick. Then we find out post draft he appears to be a bit of an arrogant punk, and some months later still, allegedly has a substance abuse issue. Better off turning the page on this one. And fast. You can maybe have this drama at other positions. Not at QB, which is your leader and face of franchise.

NYCRam

Rookie
Bottom line is: the "tiebreaker" in this whole thing is, Bennett, sucked Donkey Ass in Preseason. Probably closer to a Johnny Manziel than a Baker Mayfield.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I hated the pick then and I hate it even more now. When is the last time a mid round or late round draft pick went on to become a different maker at QB, as opposed to an average starter or worse (and even that would be a smashing success for the draft position)? Russel Wilson? Dak Prescott? Kirk Cousins? It seems like it happens only once every several years... I wouldn't even bother wasting draft capital on a QB after round 2. Sure, it is possible they become something. The Rams saw the Kurt Warner miracle story first hand. But it is statistically extremely unlikely. Far better off going RB, CB, or any other position where players regularly get picked in that range and go on to be difference makers. For QBs, you basically need to invest prime draft capital or pay up via free agency, or you can forget about it. It was for this reason I disliked the Bennett pick. Then we find out post draft he appears to be a bit of an arrogant punk, and some months later still, allegedly has a substance abuse issue. Better off turning the page on this one. And fast. You can maybe have this drama at other positions. Not at QB, which is your leader and face of franchise.

I mean, I didn't love the pick but the Rams were looking for a backup QB for a couple years on the cheap. I'm not against doing that in the 4th round or lower.

The 4th isn't just buying you a backup, it's buying you the contract too.

I think anyone thinking they were looking for an eventual starter that late in the draft is high.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Welp that's a wrap then. Rams will probably draft a QB next year and if so he'll be their backup. Best of luck to Bennett and we'll see how it goes but I'm moving on. :clinkingbeer:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Seriously, how didn't the Rams know there was a problem there? This isn't the 20th century where secrets were kept easily without much scrutiny. It's almost impossible to keep anything secret in this day and age. Whoever the Rams paid to check up on Bennett needs to be sacked.

RamFanWA

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
DavidG

Seriously, how didn't the Rams know there was a problem there? This isn't the 20th century where secrets were kept easily without much scrutiny. It's almost impossible to keep anything secret in this day and age. Whoever the Rams paid to check up on Bennett needs to be sacked.

Yeah - they could'a just contact google for this information.....

Tano

Legend
I mean, I didn't love the pick but the Rams were looking for a backup QB for a couple years on the cheap. I'm not against doing that in the 4th round or lower.

The 4th isn't just buying you a backup, it's buying you the contract too.

I think anyone thinking they were looking for an eventual starter that late in the draft is high.
I would not have had a problem with drafting Bennett in the 4th round if he didn't have so many outside FB issues that were popping up while he was in college.

I'm sorry. 7 years and did not graduate. That means all he did was party. Plus being drunk on TV and then getting arrested for being drunk in public. Just 1 by themselves is not good imho. But ALL 3 - that told me this guy has a "potential" problem. I am stressing potential because I would not know for sure but all the signs were there.

I would have drafted him at best late in the 6th or in the seventh.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I would not have had a problem with drafting Bennett in the 4th round if he didn't have so many outside FB issues that were popping up while he was in college.

I'm sorry. 7 years and did not graduate. That means all he did was party. Plus being drunk on TV and then getting arrested for being drunk in public. Just 1 by themselves is not good imho. But ALL 3 - that told me this guy has a "potential" problem. I am stressing potential because I would not know for sure but all the signs were there.

I would have drafted him at best late in the 6th or in the seventh.

Totally fair. And many of us had other QBs we liked on the board at that time. We'll never know... but Jake Haener was taken 1 pick before us and I'd put a little money on him being the guy they were targeting.

Perhaps the Rams panic sometimes when plan A doesn't materialize? (BTW, I'm in there was a 2nd shooter territory here, I know)

pvtdragon39

Rookie
I think the Rams paid for him to rehab honestly. That would be my guess, but who knows what actually happend? Not My place to know. Whatever it is, hope he can get better and give us some good football. Dont be a Kendrick!

WestCoastRam

Legend
I think the Rams paid for him to rehab honestly. That would be my guess, but who knows what actually happend? Not My place to know. Whatever it is, hope he can get better and give us some good football. Dont be a Kendrick!

As they should. Kid most likely needs help. Hope he gets it. Hope he gets to play football too if that's what he ultimately wants to do.

May not be with us.

oldnotdead

Legend
This was a complete failure to vet the kid before drafting him. He's a bust before he ever played a game. Here would have been his golden opportunity to show he belongs in the NFL. Critical break downs of his preseason were generally negative. He needed this opportunity. If he never puts on a Rams uniform again it's fine with me. Just a completely wasted pick.

Why the Rams didn't take someone like Tanner McKee is a mystry to me. He played better in preseason than Bennett and offers upsides as a future starter that they don't have in Bennett. He's got better length, better arm talent with good deep accuracy. They wouldn't be shopping for castoffs. They could have simply shut Stafford down to let him heal completely, perhaps at most keep him available for backup duty. They could have used the rest of this season to develop McKee who is a very good fit for McVay's offense whereas Bennett was never going to be anything but a backup here.

McVay got complacent about his backup QB and the Rams are paying for it. I love McVay but I'm not blind to his faults and he has several.

WestCoastRam

Legend
As they should. Kid most likely needs help. Hope he gets it. Hope he gets to play football too if that's what he ultimately wants to do.

May not be with us.

I encourage everyone to listen to the latest 11 Personnel podcast for information on Stetson. She's vague enough that I don't think it's worth trying to report what she says word for word as people will just run in whatever direction they want... BUT it's made me slightly re-examine my priors here (I suspect the focus is more on mental health vs alcohol - though the two are inextricably linked) and I wouldn't hold my breath he's back with Rams going forward though people who she talks to says there's hope.

Last edited: