Rams select Stetson Bennett (QB) with the 128th pick.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Type of dude that could stay in the pocket and sling a dime. He def gots the arm talent. He has got the tools to be starting calibre for sure, can’t wait to see him develop into a complete QB.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the positive talks around here about #13's performance were due to multiple things. One after the pick there was a whole lot of negative talk around here about Bennett. Naturally people were excited to see a positive performance overall from him so the talk was upbeat on him. Two we've had shitty backups for a very very long time so again positive for him. Lastly I think he was much much better than Rypien was before him in the game. All in all it was a good day for our likely backup QB.

Not anointing him any kind of title or anything but it was a good start to his Rams career. It's always possible that he could tank next week and the boo birds will return that were in here after the draft. Anything is possible.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Am I a jerk for still wishing we took O’Connell instead?
Stetson looks better than I expected though and I see a very good, inexpensive backup QB for several years to come.

jjab360

Legend
Bennett & O'Connell

Wish they would have taken O'Connell, who was taken right after Bennett.

He towers over Bennett. He would have a legit shot to be a future long-term starter.
View attachment 60915
Yes. Because the only important part of playing QB is how tall you are.

Makes me wonder why Mr. O'Connell didn't go no.1 overall over 5'9 Bryce Young?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Am I a jerk for still wishing we took O’Connell instead?
Stetson looks better than I expected though and I see a very good, inexpensive backup QB for several years to come.
A jerk? No. But how about we see if O'Connell amounts to anything or does better than Stetson. Lots of people wanted us to take different players than we did. Some are right. Most are wrong or it's a wash.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott

O'Connell is playing very well in preseason as well. Just saying his frame is better suited to hold up than Bennett.

Tell me about any 190 lb QB that has lasted in the NFL...and his slight frame is not picking up anymore weight anytime soon. Maybe when he hits his 40's living off donuts and cheesecake he can break 200.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Yep. All you need is height to be legit. Sean Manion says hi.
Not height as much as a very slight frame. And he is nearly 26. He is not changing that frame. He is what he is at this point.

Hey, I hope I am wrong, but I just can't see how he lasts 17 games. So yes he could be a solid back up. I just see a guy like O'Connell having upside to start.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott

"Raiders QB Aidan O'Connell puts on a show: When most eyes were on the 49ers' backup quarterback battle, O'Connell starred en route to a 92.3 game grade."

jjab360

Legend
Not height as much as a very slight frame. And he is nearly 26. He is not changing that frame. He is what he is at this point.

Hey, I hope I am wrong, but I just can't see how he lasts 17 games. So yes he could be a solid back up. I just see a guy like O'Connell having upside to start.
At an athletic 5'11, 190+ Bennett has a similar frame to many RB/WRs who have taken 10x the punishment that a QB will and had long, successful careers. Like you said, he's already 25 and hasn't had much of an injury history.

Yes, it's an atypical size for a QB but the league is finding out lately that QBs don't actually have to be 6'3+, that concept is outdated. Once again, see the no.1 overall pick.

jjab360

Legend
"Raiders QB Aidan O'Connell puts on a show: When most eyes were on the 49ers' backup quarterback battle, O'Connell starred en route to a 92.3 game grade."
I'm not saying O'Connell won't be successful. I'm just saying he's not a Ram so I don't care.

jjab360

Legend
I find it a bit funny how some of you guys sound exactly like the UGA fans who were so frustrated when their team had to turn to their 5'11 walk-on backup QB. You know.. before the two championships.

This guy has been overlooked his entire life and whenever he's given a chance all he's done is prove everyone wrong time and time again.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Am I the only one who feels like the praise Bennett is receiving for last weekend’s performance is a bit over the top compared to his actual performance?
For me, I look how he progressed through the game. As expected, he threw 2 should've been picks and took 2 bad sacks.

Very correctable mistakes but bad nonetheless.

What I loved is that each and every time he made a bonehead mistake, he forgot about it and made up for it.

As someone on here said, you could see him getting comfortable and adjusting in game.

I'm excited as hell to see him again.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
At an athletic 5'11, 190+ Bennett has a similar frame to many RB/WRs who have taken 10x the punishment that a QB will and had long, successful careers. Like you said, he's already 25 and hasn't had much of an injury history.

Yes, it's an atypical size for a QB but the league is finding out lately that QBs don't actually have to be 6'3+, that concept is outdated. Once again, see the no.1 overall pick.
Oh, I would have been not happy if the Rams had a high pick this yr and had taken Young. And for the same reason...he won't last.

And again, its not height. Wilson is built like a 6-4 230 lb QB, he is just sawed off at 5-11. Brees was listed at 206lbs I believe. Mayfield is a bigger framed guy

Bennett looks like a HS kid. Again, I hope he balls out. I just have major concerns about his size.

Last edited:

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I'm not saying O'Connell won't be successful. I'm just saying he's not a Ram so I don't care.
Just saying this could be a bigger regret than the Creed Humphrey/ Atwell selections.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh, I would have been not happy if the Rams had a high pick this yr and had taken Young. And for the same reason...he won't last.

And again, its not height. Wilson is built like a 6-4 230 lb QB, he is just sawed off at 5-11. Brees was listed at 206lbs I believe. Mayfield is a bigger framed guy

Bennett looks like a HS kid. Again, I hope he balls out. I just have major concerns about his size.
FYI Wilson didn't weigh 230 at the combine not sure he dies now but it's irrelevant, he weighed a whole 8 lbs more than Bennett.

We'll see what happens but writing a guy off as a bad pick won't last whatever seems premature after one half of a preseason football game.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I find it a bit funny how some of you guys sound exactly like the UGA fans who were so frustrated when their team had to turn to their 5'11 walk-on backup QB. You know.. before the two championships.

This guy has been overlooked his entire life and whenever he's given a chance all he's done is prove everyone wrong time and time again.
It is possible to both be excited about his ability/performance while still having concerns/doubts about his physical stature.
I'd be very concerned about Bryce Young if I were a Texans fan while equally excited about his potential.
In recent history, the only guy under 6' to be successful at qb for any length of time is Russell Wilson. To me he's still an anomaly until proven otherwise. Doesnt temper the enthusiasm though

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
FYI Wilson didn't weigh 230 at the combine not sure he dies now but it's irrelevant, he weighed a whole 8 lbs more than Bennett.

We'll see what happens but writing a guy off as a bad pick won't last whatever seems premature after one half of a preseason football game.
Not saying Wilson weighed 230...just saying his build is that of your typical 6-4 230 lb guy. Big hands, broad shoulders. Yeah, at 5-11 he probably weighed 210, because he is short.

And not writing Bennett off after a preseason game. I had concerns when he was picked. And he may be a very nice pick as a back up or even starter, but his size will likley limit his success.

It's not Georgia, where he gets hit a few times a game and his team out talents 90% of their opponents.