Rams select Stetson Bennett (QB) with the 128th pick.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Can you explain the straw man meaning?

I'm not singling you our or responding to your comment.. I'm just 100%< genuinely curious.. I see it used by people here and on my Hawkeye message board and I don't understand the meaning of it.
It's a logical fallacy.

Example:
30 year old fan - Marshall Faulk is the greatest Rams HB of my life time.
60 year old fan - No, you're wrong! Eric Dickerson is the greatest Rams HB.

30 year old fan is discussing the best Ram HB of his life time (which began in 1993, after Dickerson's career with the Rams ended). 60 year old fan recasts the argument as being the greatest Rams HB of all time.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Referring to this particular statement.... So where was I wrong in responding to this comment?

"Just curious as to why folks think he has a cerebral upside? I mean, it took him 5+ years of playing college ball before he became successful"
Yup. Id like to know why folks think he’s a cerebral qb. Does he have a high IQ like Fitzpatrick? I don’t know.
Is he a quick study? Well thanks to my quote, it sure doesn’t appear that way. It took 5 years of college ball (when everyone else goes pro) before he got good late in his 6th season and then his 7th
So again, without misconstruing anything let’s just stick with the question, what about him makes people think he’s smart?
Mind you, I am not saying he’s dumb, I’m not saying anyone is wrong, I’d just to hear what that’s about

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I'm not singling you our or responding to your comment.. I'm just 100%< genuinely curious.. I see it used by people here and on my Hawkeye message board and I don't understand the meaning of it.
Creating a fictional person or statement that you refer to in order to make a point.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Shirt and pants, stuffed with straw, attached together, and a pole up it’s ass.

You’re not fooling anyone. You knew that all along.

:D

Tano

Legend
Shirt and pants, stuffed with straw, attached together, and a pole up it’s ass.

You’re not fooling anyone. You knew that all along.

:D
Wizard Of Oz Dorothy GIF

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Yup. Id like to know why folks think he’s a cerebral qb. Does he have a high IQ like Fitzpatrick? I don’t know.
Is he a quick study? Well thanks to my quote, it sure doesn’t appear that way. It took 5 years of college ball (when everyone else goes pro) before he got good late in his 6th season and then his 7th
So again, without misconstruing anything let’s just stick with the question, what about him makes people think he’s smart?
Mind you, I am not saying he’s dumb, I’m not saying anyone is wrong, I’d just to hear what that’s about
So Warner must be dumb as a rock since it took him 5 yrs to start for a middling FCS school.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
And I will have to show some faith in Rams scouts/ coaches, who watched his film and who also interviewed him and likely tested his football IQ.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Like him or not, he is definitely polarizing to this fanbase. I understand why people are excited about him.... I mean.... He's a RAM after all... Still don't understand the people that can't help but denegrate him. Didn't think that was what this board was about. So much more fun to be optimistic about these new players IMO.

Alas, to each their own....

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And I will have to show some faith in Rams scouts/ coaches, who watched his film and who also interviewed him and likely tested his football IQ.
Still doesnt answer my question though.
Alas....

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Like him or not, he is definitely polarizing to this fanbase. I understand why people are excited about him.... I mean.... He's a RAM after all... Still don't understand the people that can't help but denegrate him. Didn't think that was what this board was about. So much more fun to be optimistic about these new players IMO.

Alas, to each their own....
Who is denigrating him?
He's polarizing all right, seems like anything less than full accolades and people cant control their emotions.
He has flaws, that's why he was drafted in the 4th round.
The intolerance towards discussing that is mind boggling although indicative of today's society

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So Warner must be dumb as a rock since it took him 5 yrs to start for a middling FCS school.
You still cant comprehend what I wrote huh?
Warner graduated after 5 years of college ball.
Bennett still wasnt a starter after 5 years of college ball, he wasnt very good until his 6th season of college ball.

You clearly are so blinded with the intent to argue that you cant even see how foolish you are being.
My QUESTION was about posters giving accolades for his football smarts, yet he clearly wasnt a quick learner (self admitted BTW). That is what one calls a fact, and merely a question I asked
But I'll wait for your next out of context statement, it is really fun to see where you cant take this next.

Last edited:

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
You still cant comprehend what I wrote huh?
Warner graduated after 5 years of college ball.
Bennett still wasnt a starter after 5 years of college ball, he wasnt very good until his 6th season of college ball.

You clearly are so blinded with the intent to argue that you cant even see how foolish you are being.
My QUESTION was about posters giving accolades for his football smarts, yet he clearly wasnt a quick learner (self admitted BTW). That is what one calls a fact, and merely a question I asked
But I'll wait for your next out of context statement, it is really fun to see where you cant take this next.
You are really going to compare the ability to land the starting job at FCS Northern Iowa to the a 2 time BCS National Champion D1 Georgia?

And I don't care as much about whether he took the classroom seriously. He isn't out there to solve Calculus problems or write a paper on the Fall of the Roman Empire.

He is out there to read defenses and complete passes. Based on what Snead, McVay, and the other coaches saw on tape, he impressed them with those aspects. That's good enough for me.

Hey, I am on record wanting Aiden O'Connell, but I certainly will defer to the coaches/scouts on this one.

And again, I am not expecting him to be a star player, but he can be a good back up & spot starter and maybe even a stop gap QB until they get their next franchise QB.

That's all you can hope to get out of a late 4th round QB. So not sure what all the consternation is about him?

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Who is denigrating him?
He's polarizing all right, seems like anything less than full accolades and people cant control their emotions.
He has flaws, that's why he was drafted in the 4th round.
The intolerance towards discussing that is mind boggling although indicative of today's society
Maybe denegrating is the wrong word there, and maybe I'm just reading your posts wrong man, but you sure seem negative in a lot of them.

That's not meant to be a shot at you BTW, so I hope you don't take it as one.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I like Bennett.

IMO, the Rams offensive style they had with Goff could still work with a more athletic QB such as Bennett.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I’d like to think that they drafted him because he’s an uber competitive motherfucker. Stafford’s the first QB we’ve had like that in a long time.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe denegrating is the wrong word there, and maybe I'm just reading your posts wrong man, but you sure seem negative in a lot of them.

That's not meant to be a shot at you BTW, so I hope you don't take it as one.
No issues here man, (I thought the turd comment was funny AF btw) I just had a genuine question regarding posters comments re: Bennett's football IQ. I thought maybe he aced the wonderlic, was academic all american etc etc.
Instead of getting an answer, some folks blew a gasket and interpreted the question as an "attack", which puzzles me but whatevs.
Alas, he's a backup QB for the Rams, and if he has to play he'll be my favorite player