Rams select Stetson Bennett (QB) with the 128th pick.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Just curious as to why folks think he has a cerebral upside? I mean, it took him 5+ years of playing college ball before he became successful, and I dont know how smart a guy can be when he wasnt able to earn a degree despite being in college for a laughable, and unprecedented 7 years
Our greatest QB ever didn't start at Northern Iowa, a FCS school, until his 5th yr.

he didn't get drafted

Was cut within days after signing with the Packers.

He was stocking shelves at age 24 or 25 at a grocery store.

Didn't start an NFL game until he was 28.

So I think any comment about late bloomers can't be successful is laughable.

Now, I question whether his size will be an issue, but if he was just 6'2" 215, he would have been a 1st round pick.

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Our greatest QB ever didn't start at Northern Iowa, a FCS school, until his 5th yr.

he didn't get drafted

Was cut within days after signing with the Packers.

He was stocking shelves at age 24 or 25 at a grocery store.

Didn't start an NFL game until he was 28.

So I think any comment about late bloomers can't be successful is laughable.

Now, I question whether his size will be an issue, but if he was just 6'2" 215, he would have been a 1st round pick.
That's great. Doesnt have anything to do with my question though.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am drawing this conclusion from interviews and his college success.

He seems quick on his feet when he speaks. That stands out to me.

Also… His success in college was less about physical traits… he’s not a big guy or a running QB. For him to win 2 championships he had to be tough between the ears with all the doubters because he’s had them all along the way.
I'm just trying to understand where there is an assumption of football smarts. He wasnt very good until his 6th season where he was still prone to mistakes. I guess the subject of Bennett gets the red jersey like he gets in practice.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's sad that you enjoy being the turd in every punch bowl dude. Piss off.

Mods, I'll show myself out. It was worth it.
Sorry man, I'll leave you be
ElatedWholeBlackandtancoonhound-max-1mb.gif

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Can any good thing happen when a thread lasts 28 pages?

Tano

Legend
Funny how so much of his intelligence debate will be moot once we see him in TC and preseason.
I don't have a problem with his intelligence just his decision making in non football matters.

As long as his decision making is good on football plays, what happens outside of football is meaningless as long as it is inside the scope of the law and also not demeaning anyone.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
I don't have a problem with his intelligence just his decision making in non football matters.

As long as his decision making is good on football plays, what happens outside of football is meaningless as long as it is inside the scope of the law and also not demeaning anyone.
What decisions outside of football?

Tano

Legend
What decisions outside of football?
I am stating future decisions now. What happened in the past (not getting a degree in 7 years, getting drunk and arrested in public) is past history. Nothing more needs to be said on that.

Just to add - if he gets arrested on public display of drunkenness is not a good thing as a pro quarterback. So I hope that is in the past.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
Bennet will be a very good QB, probably as a number two but he is miles better than a Mannion already in my humble opinion. No one knew who Warner was either. Being a star in the NFL is as much about chemistry as it is raw talent. Have the right atmosphere in the locker room and guys who hate to lose like Bennet can rise up and be great.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Funny how so much of his intelligence debate will be moot once we see him in TC and preseason.
He's definitely gonna experience some "welcome to the NFL rook" moments. Dude was accustomed to a dominant OL in front of him in college. It's part of the reason why Bama QBs look a whole lot different once they get into the league.

That's not to say they can't adjust and maybe he does. I do like his skills and attitude just think he's probably gonna be limited to backup role but looking forward to seeing what he can do.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
I’m actually really smart - multiple degrees / advanced degree. But nobody would consider me to have “football smarts” - certainly as needed for an NFL player (or QB).

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
That's great. Doesnt have anything to do with my question though.
You said it took him 5 yrs to be successful in college as if it's a knock. You can say the same for Warner, who played at a much, much lower level.

So yes, if Warner can handle it cerebrally then why can't Bennett?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You said it took him 5 yrs to be successful in college as if it's a knock. You can say the same for Warner, who played at a much, much lower level.

So yes, if Warner can handle it cerebrally then why can't Bennett?
No, I absolutely did not. Dont use a straw man.
Why dont you try re-reading what I actually wrote, and either answer my question or dont. But spare me with false allegations.

Last edited:

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Why dont you try re-reading what I actually wrote, and either answer my question or dont. But spare me with false allegations.
Can you explain the straw man meaning?

I'm not singling you our or responding to your comment.. I'm just 100%< genuinely curious.. I see it used by people here and on my Hawkeye message board and I don't understand the meaning of it.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Referring to this particular statement.... So where was I wrong in responding to this comment?

"Just curious as to why folks think he has a cerebral upside? I mean, it took him 5+ years of playing college ball before he became successful"