Rams select Stetson Bennett (QB) with the 128th pick.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
Exactly, but one position to me is paramount, LT, cuz if A. Jackson cant take over, I think we're cooked. Boom is a backup only.
train
That’s a good point. What is Jackson’s injury [condition] situation? I think we have something if he can play the full season with Boom in reserve. He’s got some stoutness to his game

nighttrain

Legend
That’s a good point. What is Jackson’s injury [condition] situation? I think we have something if he can play the full season with Boom in reserve. He’s got some stoutness to his game
no injuries that i know of, and he is back up to 330 lbs I read
train

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Retiring of numbers is an interesting conversation. Personally I like being able to look back and see greats in different numbers and a young kid taking that on and trying to put his spin on it is something you lose out on when you remove it from the roster.

Also there's only so many of them. So if they're gonna retire numbers, it has to be very restrictive otherwise at some point your organization is going to look stupid for overdoing it.

Kurt was comparable for sure to Waterfield (Rams only retired QB number), who was here 7 years with two titles and an MVP. He is deserving of the honor I do agree. But I wish they'd find a way to honor the number without removing it from the roster. Because if Bennett chose 13 then that's a very interesting storyline, and I presume in that situation he at least called Kurt and asked him.

I agree with the exception of 42 for Jackie Robinson.

IIRC, the NFL retired his number from all teams which was classy respect for an all-time icon

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

IIRC, the NFL retired his number from all teams which was classy respect for an all-time icon

NHL retired Gretzky's 99 across all teams as well. I wonder if basketball retired the number of the first black player as well?

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
NHL retired Gretzky's 99 across all teams as well. I wonder if basketball retired the number of the first black player as well?
They did not. It was actually three men depending on how one parses “first”. From NBA.com

“Not that long ago, it was a time when African-Americans could not take simple privileges — like staying at certain hotels or eating in certain restaurants — for granted. For Earl Lloyd, Chuck Cooper, and Nat “Sweetwater” Clifton, it was a time to make history.

Lloyd, Cooper, and Clifton entered the National Basketball Association in 1950 and became pioneers for today’s African-American basketball players. Cooper was the first African-American to be drafted by an NBA team. Clifton was the first to sign an NBA contract. And on Oct. 31, 1950, Lloyd, a member of the Washington Capitols, became the first African-American to play in an NBA game when he entered a game against the Rochester Royals.”

Memento

Name
Jemma
They did not. It was actually three men depending on how one parses “first”. From NBA.com

“Not that long ago, it was a time when African-Americans could not take simple privileges — like staying at certain hotels or eating in certain restaurants — for granted. For Earl Lloyd, Chuck Cooper, and Nat “Sweetwater” Clifton, it was a time to make history.

Lloyd, Cooper, and Clifton entered the National Basketball Association in 1950 and became pioneers for today’s African-American basketball players. Cooper was the first African-American to be drafted by an NBA team. Clifton was the first to sign an NBA contract. And on Oct. 31, 1950, Lloyd, a member of the Washington Capitols, became the first African-American to play in an NBA game when he entered a game against the Rochester Royals.”

Thank you, Mack. I’m glad to learn more history.

Tano

Legend
Insert “Don’t you put that evil on me!” Gif
If you're going to do that - you got to do it right man

Threaten Talladega Nights GIF

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I didnt realize Gretsky's 99 was retired from all teams. That's kind of silly IMO

Memento

Name
Jemma
I didnt realize Gretsky's 99 was retired from all teams. That's kind of silly IMO

Yeah, I kind of understand, because Gretzky grew the sport of hockey in America. I still wouldn’t have retired his number, but I understand at least a little bit.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame

IIRC, the MLB retired his number from all teams which was classy respect for an all-time icon
FIFY

Thinking you meant to put MLB.

I'm not into the retire the # from every team from the same sports profession, just the main team they played for....
but crossing over to other leagues retired #s I would definitely be against!

Hope no one is thinking of retiring #12 from the entire NFL. I would :sick2:!!

oldnotdead

Legend
The reason I don't see Stetson as the heir apparent to Stafford at this point is because of something McVay said. He talked about how Stetson was the choice of LaFluer and Robinson and how he only really liked his throwing motion. I think McVay has already targeted the QB he wants next year to be the successor to Stafford.

Also, carrying 3 QBs next year won't be any different than what they did the past 3 years. It will also mean that Stafford will retire in 2025. It will be interesting to see who the Rams take.

Although I don't see Stetson being the heir apparent to Stafford right now, things could change. He will have a whole year to impress McVay with his talent and motivation. McVay is the one he will have to win over. As we saw with Goff, McVay knows what he wants in his starting QB. Goff was someone else's QB in his mind, Stafford is his guy. When you compare their relative performances they really aren't that different in terms of their relative talent. The difference is how they play the game. Stafford is a gunslinger who will turn the ball over much more than Goff. Goff is more of a traditional pocket passer. Scheme the offense to his strengths and he will deliver as Campbell has discovered.

jjab360

Legend
The reason I don't see Stetson as the heir apparent to Stafford at this point is because of something McVay said. He talked about how Stetson was the choice of LaFluer and Robinson and how he only really liked his throwing motion.
Link?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
He had a blood clotting problem. Supposedly it is under control with blood thinners.

nighttrain

Legend
The reason I don't see Stetson as the heir apparent to Stafford at this point is because of something McVay said. He talked about how Stetson was the choice of LaFluer and Robinson and how he only really liked his throwing motion. I think McVay has already targeted the QB he wants next year to be the successor to Stafford.

A
I really cant see McVay giving a flying F##k about what LaFluer and Robinson think when it comes to who is drafted by the Rams, he makes up his own mind, and the 4th round QB is a longshot for sure, but weirder things have happened in the NFL, Dak was a 3rd round pick.

train

jjab360

Legend
I really cant see McVay giving a flying F##k about what LaFluer and Robinson think when it comes to who is drafted by the Rams, he makes up his own mind, and the 4th round QB is a longshot for sure, but weirder things have happened in the NFL, Dak was a 3rd round pick.

train
Dak was 4th round actually, same as Stetson. Wussell was 3rd round, Purdy was Mr. Irrelevant, etc.

I wouldn't sleep on this QB, he's proven the scouts wrong at every single turn possible and like you said stranger things have happened.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim

Also, carrying 3 QBs next year won't be any different than what they did the past 3 years. It will also mean that Stafford will retire in 2025. It will be interesting to see who the Rams take.

Although I don't see Stetson being the heir apparent to Stafford right now, things could change. He will have a whole year to impress McVay with his talent and motivation. McVay is the one he will have to win over. As we saw with Goff, McVay knows what he wants in his starting QB. Goff was someone else's QB in his mind, Stafford is his guy. When you compare their relative performances they really aren't that different in terms of their relative talent. The difference is how they play the game. Stafford is a gunslinger who will turn the ball over much more than Goff. Goff is more of a traditional pocket passer. Scheme the offense to his strengths and he will deliver as Campbell has discovered.
Where did you hear or see McVay say this? I haven’t seen it and it does not jive with what I have seen him say.