Rams select Stetson Bennett (QB) with the 128th pick.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Retiring of numbers is an interesting conversation. Personally I like being able to look back and see greats in different numbers and a young kid taking that on and trying to put his spin on it is something you lose out on when you remove it from the roster.

Also there's only so many of them. So if they're gonna retire numbers, it has to be very restrictive otherwise at some point your organization is going to look stupid for overdoing it.

Kurt was comparable for sure to Waterfield (Rams only retired QB number), who was here 7 years with two titles and an MVP. He is deserving of the honor I do agree. But I wish they'd find a way to honor the number without removing it from the roster. Because if Bennett chose 13 then that's a very interesting storyline, and I presume in that situation he at least called Kurt and asked him.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Retiring of numbers is an interesting conversation. Personally I like being able to look back and see greats in different numbers and a young kid taking that on and trying to put his spin on it is something you lose out on when you remove it from the roster.

Also there's only so many of them. So if they're gonna retire numbers, it has to be very restrictive otherwise at some point your organization is going to look stupid for overdoing it.

Kurt was comparable for sure to Waterfield (Rams only retired QB number), who was here 7 years with two titles and an MVP. He is deserving of the honor I do agree. But I wish they'd find a way to honor the number without removing it from the roster. Because if Bennett chose 13 then that's a very interesting storyline, and I presume in that situation he at least called Kurt and asked him.

You're not wrong and you make great points, but I still don't like it.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I agree. How about a Warner statue outside of Sofi along with Faulk, Stafford, and Donald.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Apparently he's wearing #13.

How in the hell is this number not retired already?
Probably something to do with the distance between player and organization.

If they were still in St. Louis there might be a push to honour Kurt in that way. But I think they missed their window.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wouldn’t be retiring #9 either.
Frankly, it takes serious balls on Bennett to ask for the number.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I wouldn’t be retiring #9 either.
Frankly, it takes serious balls on Bennett to ask for the number.
I really does take some balls and I like that he went for it. Ballsy QBs are inevitably the best down the line.

Can't wait to see preseason this year.

oldnotdead

Legend
In my opinion, all that is important is that the Rams finally have a legit talent behind Stafford. With the OL improvements then perhaps Stafford can play through 2024. But I still don't think Stetson is viewed as the next franchise QB. A good QB2 and maybe trade bait down the line. I think the Rams will move up next year in the first round and take a QB. Though I don't think they will have to move to #1 to do it. Depending upon Stafford's health I think he gets a redshirt year to start in 2025.

Londoner

Twitchy sophomore.
In my opinion, all that is important is that the Rams finally have a legit talent behind Stafford. With the OL improvements then perhaps Stafford can play through 2024. But I still don't think Stetson is viewed as the next franchise QB. A good QB2 and maybe trade bait down the line. I think the Rams will move up next year in the first round and take a QB. Though I don't think they will have to move to #1 to do it. Depending upon Stafford's health I think he gets a redshirt year to start in 2025.
I also think we’ll draft Stafford’s replacement in 2024. The question is how many teams who draft before us will need a QB and, therefore, how much will we need to give up to move up for our guy on draft day.

Or is it simply a question of tanking for Williams this year?

Londoner

Twitchy sophomore.
What on earth would make your think they would even attempt to tank the season? The offense alone will give them 8 or 9 wins.

Would that be the same offence that finished with the fewest points in the NFC last year?

I want to see us bounce back as much as anyone, but to think our offence is going to go from worst in the conference to winning eight or more games on its own is pie in the sky thinking.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Would that be the same offence that finished with the fewest points in the NFC last year?

I want to see us bounce back as much as anyone, but to think our offence is going to go from worst in the conference to winning eight or more games on its own is pie in the sky thinking.

The oline was a steaming pile of shit. I don't forsee all the injuries on there this season.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Considering our offensive performance during the McVay tenure, last year was an outlier caused by the extreme number of injuries.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
Considering our offensive performance during the McVay tenure, last year was an outlier caused by the extreme number of injuries.
Agreed. Looked at another way, McVay turned water into wine towards the end of the season. We smoked some teams even playing vanilla football. That experience, of going back to basics, tells me we are going to smash it this season. We have the best QB in the NFC, great depth on the OL; the best WR in the NFC maybe NFL; and a RB room that looks way more talented than outsiders will realise

Rams not lambs in 2023-2024, bank it! I genuinely feel sorry for our new punter who is not going to get too many chances outside of kickoffs :)

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agreed. Looked at another way, McVay turned water into wine towards the end of the season. We smoked some teams even playing vanilla football. That experience, of going back to basics, tells me we are going to smash it this season. We have the best QB in the NFC, great depth on the OL; the best WR in the NFC maybe NFL; and a RB room that looks way more talented than outsiders will realise

Rams not lambs in 2023-2024, bank it! I genuinely feel sorry for our new punter who is not going to get too many chances outside of kickoffs :)
I have no idea what to expect this year, as our defense is looking kind of iffy, outside of Aaron Donald. But we do have McVay and a legit QB, so it should be interesting. IMO, it all comes down to the OL. If those guys are a good unit, we'll have an effective offense.

Last edited:

nighttrain

Legend
I have no idea what to expect this year, as our defense is looking kind of iffy, outside of Aaron Donald. But we do have McVay and a legit QB, so it should be interesting. IMO, it all comes down to the OL. If those guys are a good unit, we'll have an effective offense.
Exactly, but one position to me is paramount, LT, cuz if A. Jackson cant take over, I think we're cooked. Boom is a backup only.
train