Rams select Stetson Bennett (QB) with the 128th pick.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TexasRam

Legend
Just saw a pre-draft review of Bennett by Kurt Warner and it was pretty interesting.

Aside from his beliefs this guy is better than what many may think I noticed what I thought was a quick release. Which can be golden. Think Dan Marino.

All the issues this guy may have, I saw as coachable issues. His age was brought up and Burrows name came up as being an older draft pick. (Too lazy to look that up)

I say we give the guy a respectable chance. If a Mr Irrelevant (Purdy) can get that much attention. Why can't Stetson?

View: https://media0.giphy.com/media/l0ExgfAdB2Z9V35hS/giphy.webp?cid=ecf05e4701e4hya1nyj2dab1z5eo2sbglvbd9gjbwa1yeixe&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=giphy.webp&ct=g

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I love it when draft analysis says a player was a “reach”. Nobody sat behind their keyboard in their mum’s basement is privy to the intel that NFL draft rooms have, let alone the analytics and data.

Saying that a player was a reach is just throwing their toys out of the pram and tantamount to saying that their big board is better than the pros’.
people are allowed to say what they want about the NFL draft. It’s just educated guessing, even by the draft rooms.

The NFL draft rooms get multiple picks wrong each year. Even first round picks are busts. So maybe when it comes down to it, it’s a gamble. So, the teams should just pick the player when they want and not play the board. If Snead hadn’t played the board, we would have been cheering on Bobby Wagner for the last ten years. I didn’t like how Snead waited until round 3 to pick Kupp. If you think he’s that good, then why risk it?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I finally have the Stetson Bennett look alike:
FBOPJBpXIAEHead.jpg

i

Psycho_X

Legend
Stetson is one of those people who I swear looks different every picture I see of him. This particular one he looks like Steve Young (puke) and Dan Marino had a kid.

Anyway, per other discussion I don't get the age issue with drafting the guy. Who cares for a QB? Hopefully we get 1-2 more years out of Stafford with him retiring as a three time champion and best case scenario Bennett gets a chance when he's 28 after spending two years being seasoned behind a hall of famer. Idk why that's such a big deal. If Bennett ends up being a franchise QB worst case scenario we still get a decade out of him barring catastrophic injury luck.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
He's kind of a poor man's Steve Young. Not as fast. Not as tall. Less of an arm. But similar in what he presents to the WCO. His pocket movement is very nice and when he decides to move he is very effective.

I think a good parallel to draw here for putting this pick in perspective is Bryce Young. My criticism of the Panthers taking Young at 1 overall is that you have an undersized QB moving to a higher level of the game who is used to having superior talent around him in comparison to his opponents. His strengths are his intangibles, accuracy, and leadership. But when he steps behind Center in the NFL he's going to be behind an OL that is not on par with every defensive front he faces. When that happens we see the rook and then watch him grow through that and develop to this level of competition. Or not.

Bennett is very similar in that regard. He was in a great offense run by a fantastic coach. Talent around him was top notch. Watch his film and you get to see him go through his reads with much less duress than some of these other QBs dealt with. Watch his passes downfield and his ball often must be adjusted for by the wideout with slower pacing. He is limited and that's why he went where he did, but I don't think he's some reach where we got him. I think what is ridiculous is Young going 1 overall. Us taking a shot on Bennett is a solid pick where we got him.

But back to the duress this is why I observe the BS around some of these guys is overplayed. It happens every year. Their stat sheets are compared in media show after media show like it's some litmus test of truth but nothing is that easy certainly not QB evaluation. One QB might have far more pressure in his face than the other. Truth is none of these guys consistently look good with pressure in their face. There is a point where, if your protections dip enough, that shit is the result and making occasional off-sched plays will not matter.

Compare Bennett to Haener for example and I'd take Haener every time and twice on Sunday. Because he dealt with more BS and had to carry his offense more often than not. That's a kid who is going to gun his ass off for you when he goes into a game with his OL getting trucked and the QB1 on a stretcher. This is not to say I don't like Bennett or anything but I just feel he's like Young and Tua and these other undersized QBs who are who they are to large extent due to the situation and quality of rosters around them.
Agreed. Playing on a stacked team gives a player advantages that others don’t have and thus can make them look better than they are. (I preferred Haener or Hall. )

It’s the Tony Romo thing. He had a weak team and had to fight in his college career. He was a UDFA and a decent starter. I hope the Rams are in a position to draft a starter in the next draft or the one after that.
I have not said he cannot be a good QB in this league. I said he's probably a backup. Because as I keep saying height matters at this level. There are outliers who can overcome it but it is a problem for a QB to be staring at the numbers of the OL in front of him. Those guys have to see the field in gaps and mentally track positioning and angle of defenders moreso than a guy who is say 6'6" as a first overall choice that gets to see over the shoulders of his linemen.

So I am not placing any limits on him. For the record. I am simply saying that he was taken about where he should have been because he's a QB with a height issue who had everything in his favor in college. The dude had all fucking day to throw.

As we are aware all QBs with time to throw look pretty good. What will he look like behind our OL? We'll see. But he's gonna make more mistakes and look like a rook if he has to play for us this year. Long term we'll see.

Fine with the pick. And I trust McVay and the staff on these QBs too. As to him vs Wolford I know he's not a dumbass who is going to run into DL and get a concussion. He runs but is smart about it. Very surgical. Wolford for all his brains is a fucking idiot with contact.
But it doesn’t always work the other way. Goff had a bad Oline in college and made a lot of off schedule plays. I didn’t see much of that trait with him in the NFL

The size is my biggest issue. Most NFL QBs under 6’ are scramblers that need to have a lane, or to get outside the pocket. Bottle them up inside the pocket and it reduces their effectiveness. Kyler Murray and Russell Wilson come to mind.
My biggest gripe about this pick is the one AFTER him at #129–Fehoko, Edge (SJS). I really wanted to see him in camp as a possible addition to our Edge by committee. Fehoko was one of my wish list picks.

Oh well, maybe the cowboys have too much talent on that side of the ball and cut him.
I liked Fehoko a lot too.
And he wasnt 5'10.
Stetson isnt a starter prospect, and wasnt drafted to be.
He has his limitations, I've seen him undressed by Alabama in a couple ugly losses. But I've also seen him face the adversity against Bama, and watched him come back against them when he threw a couple of Td passes to win the game.
He has his limitations which is why he was a 4th rounder.
The mistake made by myself, and others critical of the pick, was in faulting the round he was taken. In retrospect, after seeing the run of QB's taken, he was drafted exactly where he needed to be. I'll always believe that its better to draft the guy you want, if its several spots or even a round early vs losing the guy and settling on someone else.
So they got "their guy" who is now "our guy" and if his number is called he'll be my favorite QB
I just said this earlier. Target your favorite players and go get them. Don’t fool around grabbing extra picks so you have to settle for Isaiah Pead and Rok Watkins.

If the Rams wanted Bennett then they did the right thing. I just hope he is the backup and not the future starter.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The arm strength is an issue. Kurt said Bennett places the ball well for the back shoulder catch. He’s being kind. A lot of those passes were just short. In the NFL they are often INTs

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The arm strength is an issue. Kurt said Bennett places the ball well for the back shoulder catch. He’s being kind. A lot of those passes were just short. In the NFL they are often INTs
The fan's favorite player is the backup QB, the longer they dont play the better.
Hope springs eternal and all that. But ultimately reality will set in and folks can realistically view this kid's ultimate ceiling is a backup who sees little action. He doesnt have a strong arm, he's 5'10 and a mere 190# soaking wet. He scrambled a bit and made plays happen, but doesnt have significant speed and was fortunate to play behind a line that sends multiple lineman in to the NFL every year.
Jake Fromm was better than Bennett in that system, had pro measurables and went nowhere. Bennett is a survivor, got to give him that, 6 years of college football is an impressive resume. If not for some fortune, more than sticktuitness, Bennett would have been and after thought. If Justin Fields wasnt afraid of trying to compete with Fromm for the starting gig, he doesnt leave for OSU. If JT Daniels doesnt get hurt, he doesnt transfer out etc, etc.
Alas, Fortune favors the brave, and that you have to hand that to SB. Just wont make him taller, more athletic, stronger arm etc....

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
As I said before, Stetson Bennett was not drafted to be the heir apparent. They aren't planning on making him the future face of the franchise. He was drafted to be Stafford's backup.

After last season it was clear the backup situation was pretty bad. Bennett should be an immediate upgrade over Wolford and Perkins. He's not the strongest arm or fastest athlete. But he's got enough arm to make all the throws. He's got enough mobility to escape pressure.

The hope is that he won't be needed. But if he is needed I feel better about him than the past few years at backup. And if by chance he does turn out to be starter material thats even better.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I don't even care about that. Such a minor bullshit charge. He wasn't street racing.
back in the day they just sent me home. Even when I was driving. If there was a pattern or there becomes a pattern, then that is different. And who didn't say stupid shit they didn't mean when they were blato.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
There's more to the story than Stetson being drunk in public once. He'll need to grow up in the NFL. Hopefully, with Stafford to guide him, he will.

Stafford set quite an example celebrating at the parade. Drunk while giving a speech. The big difference there Stafford had somebody he could count on looking out for him.

Logy

UDFA
Name
Logy
Stetson Bennett is actually perfect for LA as he was a 36 year old reality TV star playing a college quarterback.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Interesting comment from The Athletic, Jourdan Rodrigue, on Levis… and it lead us to Stetson:

“But Levis was never in the Rams’ plans. Internally their opinions about him were far from consensus. They entered the draft with the expectation to wait until Day 3 to pick up a quarterback who would back up Matthew Stafford. As they reset their draft board ahead of Friday’s second and third rounds, general manager Les Snead wrote their coaching and scouting consensus No. 1 player for Day 2 on a sheet of lined paper, and passed it around: TCU guard Steve Avila.”