Rams select Stetson Bennett (QB) with the 128th pick.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
This guy has a shot to be a good backup for a number of years on a CHEAP CONTRACT. That's why you draft him. I liked some of the other QBs better as possible guys with an outside chance to maybe even become starters in this league but that chance was always supremely small. What the Rams got here was a gamer who, if he picks up the offense can win them a game or two which they'll definitely need in the next two years with Stafford getting older and more brittle and do it on a cheap contract.

The FO doesn't see anything we don't see here, it's just we have to have the right expectation. Stetson's benefit is 1) the cheap contract and 2) he's a gamer who can steal a game or two in relief for us.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
This guy has a shot to be a good backup for a number of years on a CHEAP CONTRACT. That's why you draft him. I liked some of the other QBs better as possible guys with an outside chance to maybe even become starters in this league but that chance was always supremely small. What the Rams got here was a gamer who, if he picks up the offense can win them a game or two which they'll definitely need in the next two years with Stafford getting older and more brittle and do it on a cheap contract.

The FO doesn't see anything we don't see here, it's just we have to have the right expectation. Stetson's benefit is 1) the cheap contract and 2) he's a gamer who can steal a game or two in relief for us.
I think Mcvay & Les Snead have learned a little bit from experience.

1. Of all people size.(don’t matter)
2.Winner - dude had a lot of chances to choke. The biggest moments were when he stepped up.https://www.google.com/search?q=ohio+st+vs+georgia&client=safari&hl=en-us&ei=h15PZJ26AeLLkPIP2L2NoAk&oq=ohio+st+vs+georgia&gs_lcp=ChNtb2JpbGUtZ3dzLXdpei1zZXJwEAMyBggAEB4QDTIGCAAQHhANMgYIABAeEA0yBggAEB4QDTIGCAAQHhANMgYIABAWEB4yBggAEBYQHjIGCAAQFhAeOgoIABBHENYEELADOgIIKToICAAQFhAeEAo6CgguEIoFEAoQkQI6DQgAEIoFELEDEIMBEAo6CwgAEIoFELEDEIMBOgYIABANEANKBAhBGABKBQhAEgExSgUIQBIBMVDsDFjkTGDoT2gAcAB4AIABiQKIAbYPkgEFMy44LjKYAQCgAQHIAQjAAQE&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-serp.
3.Leadership
4. Perseverance.
5.Mcvay likes his drinks at the right time.https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local/georgia-bulldogs-quarterback-stetson-bennett-arrested-on-public-intoxication-charge-in-dallas-police-say/287-4f0caf3c-6d7d-4c46-a1fc-535aac7638a8

Last edited:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

another highlight video. probably seen it all, maybe not.

Tano

Legend
I most certainly was drunk and in public a lot at 25 and I'm wagering a lot of people around here were too. He's a kid still in college no matter the age.

As for the negativity to picks/players/coaches that'll never end it's too ingrained around here. Sometimes it gets way too toxic and you have to make jokes about it like I am making a joke with my avatar.
I miss your Youngblood avatar

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Aaron Rodgers was a Super Bowl winner and widely regarded as one of the better quarterbacks in the league. He's a well-known diva. Tom Brady is regarded by many as a top quarterback, and he ditched his wife when she had cancer.

Just because you're a winner - in college, mind you - doesn't mean that you're a character guy.
ARod gets a lot of hate on here, but I really don't see why. People just believe what the media feeds them..... Shame.

Also, the virtue signaling on this thread is getting old...

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Look, he was a mid-4th pick. Even QBs taken 1st overall are not sure things, anybody who has followed the draft knows that.

He is a little short, but the difference between him and an ideal height for a NFL QB is not that much. He has an arm that maybe isn’t elite, but would put him in the upper middle of NFL QBs. His decision making is - for a draftee - borderline elite, with experience against top defenses.

In short, he should be a more than capable backup, with a slight chance of being a good starter. For a QB drafted in the middle, that is good. I think some here think that QB is just another position in today’s NFL. It’s not.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Has big game experience and is competitive. If he can be a solid 3-5 year backup QB that’s a win. Anything more is a bonus. Rams haven’t had a solid QB2 since Green and Bulger, imo.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
He is a little short, but the difference between him and an ideal height for a NFL QB is not that much. He has an arm that maybe isn’t elite, but would put him in the upper middle of NFL QBs. His decision making is - for a draftee - borderline elite, with experience against top defenses.
Not so sure about the arm strength. Thinking probably bottom third there among NFL QBs. But arm strength is not the most important element for a great QB. Brady doesn't have great arm strength. Montana didn't either. Both were overlooked in part due to that. So it's not a worry for me at all.

What's cool here is that we didn't take him too high and we got what we needed which is a QB who can come out and ball a bit and move the chains in a tough game if Stafford gets hurt. And we got a nice 4 years of backup at a good cap space hit. That alone is value.

And again I'll say I actually prefer my QBs cocky. As long as they take coaching cocky is good because it's one of those positions that will crack dudes who are not strong enough mentally. Corner is the same way. Physical talent alone is not enough. Sadly nowadays all these folks on twitter who feel threatened by a confident male turn on them quickly. I'm not about all that.

My cool reception to him is all about his size and the fact I would have preferred Hall if I'm being perfectly honest. Because I think he's going to be a starter in this league. But I am warming to this dude and if he plays well for us I will be squarely in his corner.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Stetson is going to be great here. There is something about that dude that is a gamer.

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So like a lot of you I wasn’t sure of this Stetson dude. I just really didn’t know what to think. But then I realized how much sense this makes.

Matthew and his wife have a lovely family and a gaggle of adorable little girls but no boys.

Is it possible Matthew always secretly wanted a son? Perhaps Matthew dreamt of a protégé who he could mold into an NFL QB?

Well, in a way, he now has one, a former Georgia Bulldog protégé in Stetson Bennett to foster into greatness. It should be interesting. And now I like this pick.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
So like a lot of you I wasn’t sure of this Stetson dude. I just really didn’t know what to think. But then I realized how much sense this makes.

Matthew and his wife have a lovely family and a gaggle of adorable little girls but no boys.

Is it possible Matthew always secretly wanted a son? Perhaps Matthew dreamt of a protégé who he could mold into an NFL QB?

Well, in a way, he now has one, a former Georgia Bulldog protégé in Stetson Bennett to foster into greatness. It should be interesting. And now I like this pick.
Don't turn me on with that sexy talk!

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
Certainly proved he can play at a high level against the very toughest opponents (SEC defenses) in the college arena.

B/U QB appears to be one of the very few positions on this roster where I think improvement can be expected over last year's personnel.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
On the 11 Personel Podcast, Jourdan made a good point about QB2.

Whoever QB2 is going to be, they have to be able to run the 2nd team offense effectively to help what will be a very young #1 defense learn how to defend an NFL offense. #1 defense normally plays against #2 O.

Not to mention also helping young guys on the #2 offense to have a chance to compete and show themselves.

So they were impressed with Bennett's grasp of offensive football and felt he could run whatever they ask him to. So there would not be a need to bring in a more expensive vet QB.

Something we don't think of, but certainly something they have to account for.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
On the 11 Personel Podcast, Jourdan made a good point about QB2.

Whoever QB2 is going to be, they have to be able to run the 2nd team offense effectively to help what will be a very young #1 defense learn how to defend an NFL offense. #1 defense normally plays against #2 O.

Not to mention also helping young guys on the #2 offense to have a chance to compete and show themselves.

So they were impressed with Bennett's grasp of offensive football and felt he could run whatever they ask him to. So there would not be a need to bring in a more expensive vet QB.

Something we don't think of, but certainly something they have to account for.

Hello - John Wolford the last how many years under Sean Mcvay.
-Where is he playing now?
The last couple years he has done JACK in the preseason as well. I would have expected more. Then when he has his chance he blew it.
If you go back to 2020 you could question The Rams had a Superbowl caliber team.He was lucky enough to mange the game enough not to lose it. Still don’t think he threw a TD pass?
-Guess maybe I’ll have to see.

Good points & post though,but I think IMO he has done it to a fault. The Rams could have had Jalen Hurt & still probably got Cam Akers? If not an excellent RB

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
Just saw a pre-draft review of Bennett by Kurt Warner and it was pretty interesting.

Aside from his beliefs this guy is better than what many may think I noticed what I thought was a quick release. Which can be golden. Think Dan Marino.

All the issues this guy may have, I saw as coachable issues. His age was brought up and Burrows name came up as being an older draft pick. (Too lazy to look that up)

I say we give the guy a respectable chance. If a Mr Irrelevant (Purdy) can get that much attention. Why can't Stetson?