Rams’ offensive line problem isn’t as bad as it looks

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Well the bottom line is this......there may not be a 2020 season and we'll have two drafts to tweak the roster!!!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
weird how certain players can still rehab. So Brian Allen was working out
In Thousand Oaks rehabbing & The Rams shut everything down. Now they are just starting up again ?? Players have to stay home & workout. When April 27th rolls around next week The Rams can have video meetings ??

Just wish there was some kind of news about Noteboom.

dang

Legend
Whit 2020 < Whit 2019
Corbett?? 2020 > Note 2019
Blythe 2020 > Allen 2019
Edwards 2020 > Blythe 2019
Evans/Hav 2020 = Hav 2019

I’d love to make RT better in 2020 and get a stud OC for the next 7 years.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Whit 2020 < Whit 2019
Blythe 2020 > Allen 2019

Tyler Rapp talked about 4 teammates he would take with him on family feud ? I guess that was the question. Coleman Shelton was one of the players. Thought Greg Gaines would be the guy from the W” he would have
said. My thinking is he might be a guy thought sticks around another season some how ? Plus B. Allen is still around & I don’t think The Rams value the position CAP wise as most here are thinking ?

Rob Havenstien is coming off a tough season, but he is a Pro’s Pro. The RICE surgery should help his core & flex ability. I think he will play as well as ever ,especially being pushed by either Bobby Evans or Brewer ?

Goff talked about Austin Blythe being a player he really trust when he drops back. I saw on replay that he should have stepped up in the pocket & made a couple plays because Blythe did a good job coming over to block a extra rusher. Finding out how injuried he was & how well he read the defense was impressive. IMO he will be so much better at Center than at RG. Add he backup at RG. A Rookie Center will have a hard time starting.
Max Unger & another Center coming was an excellent Center class,so if that is the quality of a player that falls I’m good with it. I haven’t even looked at the players coming out.
Noteboom scares me & a Backup LT is needed. Brewer is only 22,Evans 23,not so sure those are the guys.One of them if not both will be crossed trained if not ?
I keep asking in 2019 & Demby. He came in game 2 & started game 3. The Rams were 3-0 to start the season.He came in for Noteboom at LG and looked real bad. Still he is only 23 going into his 3rd season at 6’5 320.
A lot of Ram fans were really high on him. Will see how experience might help him ?? This could be it for him ??

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Whit 2020 < Whit 2019
Blythe 2020 > Allen 2019

The prob with this line is that we don't really have that stud. Whit was a stud for us in 2018 but slipped and struggled vs the better rushers he faced in 2019 in particular the ones who have power moves. I think he's a solid starter for 2020 but definitely not gonna be a top player IMO.

Edwards I suspect is going to be a stud but we'll see. Evans same deal there's no telling really. Look at both their film late 2019 and you see the expected rookie mistakes and them having trouble with good players so it's possible neither of them end up being a stud.

Corbett helped us last season and reversed the knock he had on his play in Cleveland where he was weak at the point. But he's not really a stud either. And we know Blythe isn't.

So just IMO here as it pertains to this draft the easiest way to help turn that around is find a stud at the pivot. A top Center would change the dynamics of the line where all of a sudden the interior 3 are a concern for DTs. And from there maybe one of our emerging players becomes a stud (my money is on Edwards) and all of a sudden you have the requisite two top players to field a good OL.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Whit 2020 < Whit 2019
Blythe 2020 > Allen 2019

I will add a more positive way to look at this 2020 OL.

This was a good easy quick way to convey your thoughts on what you expect from the Rams 2020 OL. I agree with dang's thought's here. I would expect Kromer to make every effort possible to keep the same last half starters the same. Obviously to continue to build on cohesiveness. IMO starting over, switching around or playing musical chairs would be a big negative backward & once again decelerate the improvement of the OL.

The >
ROD
has amply discussed Austin Blythe, with most all in agreement that AB is much better @ OC than RG. Kromer has a good amount of OC prospects under contract too. Its also a good bet we will see a very good prospect OC selected in this draft.

If this Ram OL is what dang & I believe..... Austin Corbett's 2020version should be a big improvement over Noteboom/Demby 2019 events. Both these 2018 draft picks had zero NFL starts when they go their assignments. Corbett finished 3 gms, started 1 for the Browns in 2018 & started over the last half of 2019 season. Corbett sure appears to me to have the needed skills & abilities to be an effective LG in the NFL. He is in his best natural playing OL post.

RG David Edwards offers Kromer a normal sized NFL RG since Jamon Browns 2017 season. Rookie DE @ 6-6 approx. 310 plus pound rookie in 2019 was an improvement over the 6-2/298 Austin Blythe. We all should expect that DE will come into TC in a regenerated physical body. DE's 2018 season in college was atrophied due to a shoulder injury & followed by surgery. That event surely retarded his physical development in 2018 & early in 2019. DE now has a full yr. removed from that event. DE has already established excellent versatility @ LG/ RG/ RT in his rookie season.

The <
LT aged Andrew Whitworth is in a slow decline but still effective in his pass protection & highly experienced, something this 2020 OL needs severely. AW's age makes the back up LT a very high concern & its still an unknown However, late last seasons back up @ LT, Chandler Brewer returns. In addition, there is a possibility that 2018 season back up Joseph Noteboom being ready to take up his 2018 position by the bye. If RT Rob Havenstein remains a Ram & then shocks/stuns me to return to previous 2019 season form then top 2019 draft selection OT Bobby Evans could also be the reserve LT.

The =
Who will be the starting RT for 2020 is an unknown. But Kromer has a number of good RT prospects under contract. So going over them has a good feeling to it ......so having long time starter Rob Havenstein, Bobby Evans, Chandler Brewer, David Edwards & Joseph Noteboom as prospective starting RT's is a big positive with 4/5ths having over a half dozen NFL starts of experience each !

Having said the above I would desire that Snead takes a great physically developmental LT & a ready to start OC this upcoming weekend.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yep. People remember us giving the 9ers all they could handle week 15. But they don't remember how McVay schemed his ass off to keep Jared from getting killed with boot plays and short passing game. He knew the Rams' OL couldn't handle that front.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
trying to be honest about our ol is hard because every thing is just a guess but here is my attempt. lt whitworth is another year older so I doubt he is more than slightly above average. noteboom run blocking while at guard was really bad so I don't think he will ever be more than slightly above average. corbett at lg is a guy that cleveland was willing to get rid of so i think it will take some kromer magic to get him to slightly above average. blythe at center is slightly below average but I am glade they resigned him because he can play both c and g. allen was rated pretty good but I just did not see it so I rate him at below average.edwards at rg I think has a chance to be well above average. evens and havenstein at rt could be average. so anyway I think the best we can hope for out of this bunch is slightly above average and that is with good health and kromer doing great work. the thing is I don't want slightly above average I would like complete dominance. make it happen mcsnead.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
I agree that's why I try to add a veteran like Jason Peters if he is still available or a versatile Cordy Glenn I know most of you hate him but he wasn't always blah and look at the team he was on plus disgruntled because of the injury thing. It's just money that hurts us from adding a couple of pieces here and there.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Apparently, this turned out being a pretty accurate OP

Of course not all agree and it makes good reading and debate

I happen to side with the OP, this will no doubt be revisited throughout the season

Cheers!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Those who thought the Rams would stand pat on the OL called it. Take your victory lap. Still think they're nuts but if the OL plays well they'll look like geniuses. Hope that's how it goes down of course.

We'll see. But by the way if the worst happens and the OL plays like shit and we struggle this season there will be doubt with Goff, McVay, and Snead along with a probable firing of the GM. For me that's too much to risk and still is regardless of how the Rams approached it.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
If Kromer can’t work with what he gots ie. turning coal into diamonds Goff is screwed. I just would of thought we would of got some OL depth to compete with what we got but for the most part it must seem hunky dory. I guess we’ll see...

WestCoastRam

Legend
I just can't get over how people view the draft as some sort of static entity.

I'm sure the Rams has some olinemen that were on their draft board.

I'm sure they missed out on some they had a high grade on.

I'm sure there were some available that didn't grade out as well as the picks they did take.

I'm sure at some point in the draft the olinemen available graded out no better than what we already have.

"The Rams didn't get us help on the Oline!" Well, perhaps that's because there wasn't help there to get.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I feel that the big problem is scope or lack there of. Many here are focused on this guy is improving and that guy should improve etc... Kromer seems to be thinking the same way.

But football is all about competition. Having the second worst Oline in football is a big deal and a very bad thing when it comes to competition.

How many years have we laughed at the Cardinals Oline or the Seahawks Oline? Now their fans are laughing at our Oline. Hoping it just gets better is what bad teams do. Going out and signing or drafting good Olinemen is what good teams do. It’s no coincidence that when the Rams had one of the best Olives in football, they went to the Super Bowl. When their Oline was horrible, they didn’t make it to the playoffs.

I love my team but I have very low expectations going into this season without any significant upgrades on the Oline. If Kromer was correct about last season then no worries. But he was monumentally incorrect about his projections. So I’m not very optimistic. His biggest success with the Rams came from two declining, but still very good free agents and Saffold, who’s another already good player. I’m still waiting to see this magic that he can supposedly work with unproven talent.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I just can't get over how people view the draft as some sort of static entity.

I'm sure the Rams has some olinemen that were on their draft board.

I'm sure they missed out on some they had a high grade on.

I'm sure there were some available that didn't grade out as well as the picks they did take.

I'm sure at some point in the draft the olinemen available graded out no better than what we already have.

"The Rams didn't get us help on the Oline!" Well, perhaps that's because there wasn't help there to get.

Spot on!!

As was said, "Good teams go out and draft good o lineman"? Sure they do. Who's to say we didn't do that in 2018 and 2019? We had some injuries and our vets didn't play as well as in previous years. AND STILL we finished 9-7 as the #7 offense in yards and #11 offense in scoring. That 9-7 was in part due to the defense allowing 31 PPG in the last 5 (3-2) We have a couple of OT's in Noteboom and Evans. We have a couple of guards in Edwards and Corbett (via trade). It could be the 2020 O line is Whit-Edwards-Blythe-Evans-Havenstein and morphs into Evans-Edwards-Blythe-Corbett-Noteboom or some variation in 2021. And guess what? If we need a stud OG or C (which can be had in the 2nd) there's the 2021 draft.

Last edited: